IGNORED

Alyssa & John 6: She's Raising Sister Moms

GreyhoundFan

15 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

How can Alyssa say it's like a real classroom when she has never been in one? Further, if you are so sure that homeschooling is superior to us heathens that attended classroom school, why in the heck are you trying to make your girls feel like they are in a real classroom??? 

I don't think they have a problem with classroom settings. I have never heard them--or anyone--say that they home school in protest of classroom settings. In our early homes school years, we had a set aside school room and desks. It marked a separation that this is where school work is done. You will be here at 8:00 and you'll be here until lunch break. After lunch break you will be here until you complete the assignments for today. While we've been Corona house-bound, those of you who have a room set aside as an office may be able to understand. It helps some with the separation of home/work life when you can close the doors to the office and leave it until the next day.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I don't think they have a problem with classroom settings. I have never heard them--or anyone--say that they home school in protest of classroom settings. In our early homes school years, we had a set aside school room and desks. It marked a separation that this is where school work is done. You will be here at 8:00 and you'll be here until lunch break. After lunch break you will be here until you complete the assignments for today. While we've been Corona house-bound, those of you who have a room set aside as an office may be able to understand. It helps some with the separation of home/work life when you can close the doors to the office and leave it until the next day.

When I hear "this is just like a real classroom", I seriously doubt she's referring to a "real homeschool classroom". She is referring to public/private school settings, of which she and her family have clearly rejected over and over again. 

I stand by my original post

a. She's never experienced a real classroom setting with peers who weren't her siblings 

b. Why would you try to "sell" to your kids that this is a real classroom, when you reject schools in their traditional format?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

One thing I noticed is that the screens for Lexie and Allie are so tiny.

At least they are getting an accredited education and I'm sure it's better than what Alyssa could provide on her own.

• Upvote 3

I think what the reject is secular education not the classroom model. I know homeschoolers who homeschool for philosophical reasons that criticize classrooms and the factory approach but  fundie religious homeschoolers usually aren’t thinking through educational theory so much as dogma.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I think what the reject is secular education not the classroom model. I know homeschoolers who homeschool for philosophical reasons that criticize classrooms and the factory approach but  fundie religious homeschoolers usually aren’t thinking through educational theory so much as dogma.

In addition, they present homeschooling as a chore for the mothers. Even a fundamentalist school wouldn't fit them, because it would mean a non-relative person educating the kids (and a free mom at home). 

I'm sure that Alyssa would put the girls at school if Websters approved it. Unfortunately, they will never do.

• Upvote 5

Don't you think that's what is so funny about the right wanting schools to open immediately right away? They keep emphasizing how important school is for child development. I'm curious if someone like Daniel Webster is advocating for schools to be open because how badly kids need them, while being the biggest home school advocate. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Don't you think that's what is so funny about the right wanting schools to open immediately right away? They keep emphasizing how important school is for child development. I'm curious if someone like Daniel Webster is advocating for schools to be open because how badly kids need them, while being the biggest home school advocate. 

Must be a quandary for someone like like Rep. Webster!

• Upvote 7

In the video, one of the girls is watching the real classroom and all the kids are lined up at the front. It’s easy to forget that in addition to the content, those kids are learning public speaking, conversation, sharing, confidence, how to work with others you don’t get along with, how to read a room, etc. Alyssa’s kids are learning the content plus how to sit still in your chair and not put your feet up. I also don’t get how if non-homeschool is so bad, how can you justify having your kids stare at a real classroom all day from the outside? Won’t they grow up thinking classrooms/school  ARE ok, since they watched it be ok through a screen? 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

In the video, one of the girls is watching the real classroom and all the kids are lined up at the front. It’s easy to forget that in addition to the content, those kids are learning public speaking, conversation, sharing, confidence, how to work with others you don’t get along with, how to read a room, etc. Alyssa’s kids are learning the content plus how to sit still in your chair and not put your feet up. I also don’t get how if non-homeschool is so bad, how can you justify having your kids stare at a real classroom all day from the outside? Won’t they grow up thinking classrooms/school  ARE ok, since they watched it be ok through a screen? 

Fundies want their children homeschooled so they're not exposed to the outside world. There's no interaction between classes with classmates this way. Idk how the teacher and parents are ok with their kids being filmed all year but that's another point. While the classroom set up looks less than ideal for anyone who's ever been in an actual class, this is all the Webster girls know.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Watching a video of a class is like being in a classroom the same way watching a video of kids interacting with their parents is like being parented. It's not. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

I think reading, writing, and religion is all the Webster's consider important for pretty girls to marry a rich fundie/conservative dude. The Websters are very prominent conservatives and the Bates are popular for their odd fundamentalist upbringing. I doubt John married Alyssa for her brains. Those little girls are being groomed to be trophy wives.

• Upvote 18
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3

Latest video has them preparing for (I gurss) Laura to hit. Part of this preparation is going to the car wash. WTF?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 6
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 1

Do they think that Laura will not do a good enough job washing their car? Or was they fearing that sand and saline water could ruin their beautiful car? I just don't get it, even if they wanted clean for some reason after Laura pass, they will still have to wash it again since I don't believe that a hurricane could see their perfectly wash var and say uh no better move from here they have just washed the ? ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

She’s potty training Zoey and posting to Instagram about it.

I hateeee when people do that! 

And didn't she trained her months ago? I remember Alyssa posted Zoey and Lexi being pottytrained, and blamed Lexi because she wasn' t learning. 

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, clueliss said:

I think the potty training you’re thinking of is Lexie.  

Nop, yesterday she posted Zoey in the toilet.

• Upvote 1

Advice regarding potty training is something to be discussed with other moms that she is close to, not on social media. Even when asking for advice from another mom, there is discretion involved. It is not appropriate and it's a violation of her kids' privacy. It should be common sense to not post pictures of your child on the toilet.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, ColeJo said:

Advice regarding potty training is something to be discussed with other moms that she is close to, not on social media. Even when asking for advice from another mom, there is discretion involved. It is not appropriate and it's a violation of her kids' privacy. It should be common sense to not post pictures of your child on the toilet.

She's def just pandering tho. She left the house at 19. At 19, she def had siblings that were potty training. I'm pretty sure she knows how it's done. I believe she thinks it's cute and relatable that's why she keeps posting it.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

She's def just pandering tho. She left the house at 19. At 19, she def had siblings that were potty training. I'm pretty sure she knows how it's done. I believe she thinks it's cute and relatable that's why she keeps posting it.

But wasn't that something Michaela did and did well? If so, Alyssa may not have paid attention because Michaela was handling it.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

But wasn't that something Michaela did and did well? If so, Alyssa may not have paid attention because Michaela was handling it.

we don't know if Kelly and Michaela did it fine or not, neither we know if Alyssa is following their advice. Kelly potty trained a lot of children before Michaela and, due to her age, Alyssa saw her mother raising a lot of siblings. Obviously, Alyssa wants kids out of diapers ASAP. She tried to potty train Zoey when she wasn't even two, but didn't succeed. Maybe she's doing exactly what Kelly or Michaela did, but is not working with her girls and needs further advice.

I don't believe that Alyssa lived in that crowded house and wasn't involved in potty training siblings in some way (changing kids, washing clothes etc). Kelly first, and Michaela later, were on charge, but Michaela also worked as a sitter for years. It's not like she was at home 24/7. She wasn't the only sistermom there, so the others had to help a lot, too. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Nop, yesterday she posted Zoey in the toilet.

No, the potty training someone said she just did.  I said she was doing Zoey.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently potty training my 2.5 year old.....and I would literally take the advice of ANYONE at this point - including random people from my instagram.  This shit is HARD. I am quite honestly at the end of my rope with a kid who will pee just fine on his potty but not poop. The amount of crap (literally!!!) I have cleaned up off my floors the past few days has actually brought me to tears of frustration. I'm sure she's doing it primarily for attention, especially considering she's already potty trained two other kids....but I also know that every kid is different. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 5

42 minutes ago, LillyP said:

I'm currently potty training my 2.5 year old.....and I would literally take the advice of ANYONE at this point - including random people from my instagram.  This shit is HARD. I am quite honestly at the end of my rope with a kid who will pee just fine on his potty but not poop. The amount of crap (literally!!!) I have cleaned up off my floors the past few days has actually brought me to tears of frustration. I'm sure she's doing it primarily for attention, especially considering she's already potty trained two other kids....but I also know that every kid is different. 

Oh, I feel your pain. My son was peeing standing up before age 2 with no problem at all.  Poop?  He was well over 3.  He knew perfectly well what to do, but he just didn't want to do it.  He would tell me he was scared to go and every time he had the urge to go, he wanted me to hold him.  We tried bribing him with candy, toys, money...nothing worked.   Then he started holding it in order to avoid the toilet, assumedly associating it with stress...and naturally began complaining of stomach pain. Scared he was going to hurt himself and cause a blockage, I took him to his pediatrician, who recommended an enema. After calling my parents to help us administer the enema to my son, who was by now combative and under extreme duress, and placing the potty chair in front of the TV, which instructions that he was not to leave the chair until he went-we never had a problem with pooping again.  Although we finally got the outcome we wanted, it still bothers me over 20 years later that it had to be taken to that extreme.  

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, LillyP said:

1-it is normal

2-why not to come back to diapers for a while? Don't worry! He won't be in diapers forever. You can use pull ups, too, so he can go to pee but do number two in the pull up.

I'm not sure potty training can be learn as easily as some experts say. It needs physicall maduration and sometimes the kid to needs to feel ready himself. I have 2 kids, one was out of diapers at 21 months, the other...oh dear, it was very difficult (he was physically ready, but he couldn't cope with that enormous change in his life... But the story has a happy end).

You cannot train a kid to walk... Maybe we moms should forget the concept pottytraining as if it was something we can schedule. Nowadays most people pottytrain at 2 or 3 years old... In the past, it was at 18 months or earlier. Are kids less smart now? Nah, probably in the past trainings were just harder I guess.

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic