IGNORED

Alyssa & John 6: She's Raising Sister Moms

GreyhoundFan

My daughter turned 2 in May and we have a potty in the bathroom for her. Sometimes she likes to sit on it. She’s peed and pooped in it a handful of times and we celebrate but she does it on her time- she’ll see it and take her diaper off and sit and go. I’m in no rush to fully potty train her cause I want to avoid extra stress as much as possible. I figure these baby steps and being casual about it are a good start? I don’t know since it’s my first time. Alyssa seems adamant that her girls train early. But she’s also pushing school very early so maybe that’s just her thing. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

@LillyP So I don't have a child but as one who was almost 4 when she finally potty trained (as opposed to her twin brother being potty trained by 2) my parents just realized it would take me time and that they would kind of wait till I wanted to 

**just an update I am a contributing almost 27 year old in society! So she will be fine if she takes her time!

• Upvote 10

Just looking at my generation (x) and the Baby boomers that came before, more of our families had at least three or four kids then what we have today. I can see moms pushing their children to potty train at 18 months before the next blessing came. I also know that more of us had caught diapers used on us and I could also see both moms being tired of cloth diapers and kids sitting in their own mess and deciding they don't like it so well.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

@LillyP So I don't have a child but as one who was almost 4 when she finally potty trained (as opposed to her twin brother being potty trained by 2) my parents just realized it would take me time and that they would kind of wait till I wanted to 

**just an update I am a contributing almost 27 year old in society! So she will be fine if she takes her time!

My four and nearly a half year old is still not night dry. Sigh. I wonder when it will happen. I am using pull ups because changing sheets and the wee smell is killing me. Any tips fellow mothers? She is just a really deep sleeper and won’t even wake if she is cold and wet. I am thinking of getting the wet bed alarm anyone try that. I’m just waiting for the weather to warm up at night to start again. 

• Upvote 7

30 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

My four and nearly a half year old is still not night dry. Sigh. I wonder when it will happen. I am using pull ups because changing sheets and the wee smell is killing me. Any tips fellow mothers? She is just a really deep sleeper and won’t even wake if she is cold and wet. I am thinking of getting the wet bed alarm anyone try that. I’m just waiting for the weather to warm up at night to start again. 

Just wait it out until she wakes up, or walk her to the toilet before you go to bed or leave her to sleep in really non-absorbing bedding and sleepwear when it is warmer so she has more of a chance to feel it.
I was much older than 4 and NOTHING worked until I could hold my bladder all night. To this day I don’t wake up to go - though I do wake up dry ? Even highly pregnant in all my pregnancies I never woke more than once.
My oldest wet the bed twice and was dry from then. My middle one is 5 and NEVER wakes up. Puddles regularly even with pull-ups. My youngest will probably be dry first. We live off-grid and having enough solar power in winter to run the washing machine and then sun to line dry everything is so fun... ?

TL;DR Good luck finding a solution! 

Daytime toilet training the oldest only did it when realising only knickers are allowed at Kindergarten, the other 2 started from their own accord at about 18 months.... 

Edited by Mrs Ms
Even more thoughts
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

My youngest is 6 and a couple of his friends still wear pull ups at night. Mothers are desperate but pediatrician told them it is still normal and is coming to an end soon (something about hormones).

They tried to wake them at night to pee, several times each night. It worked but was too hard for the parents to do it every night. Maybe it can work for some families. Try it and good luck!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

Just wait it out until she wakes up, or walk her to the toilet before you go to bed or leave her to sleep in really non-absorbing bedding and sleepwear when it is warmer so she has more of a chance to feel it.
I was much older than 4 and NOTHING worked until I could hold my bladder all night. To this day I don’t wake up to go - though I do wake up dry ? Even highly pregnant in all my pregnancies I never woke more than once.
My oldest wet the bed twice and was dry from then. My middle one is 5 and NEVER wakes up. Puddles regularly even with pull-ups. My youngest will probably be dry first. We live off-grid and having enough solar power in winter to run the washing machine and then sun to line dry everything is so fun... ?

TL;DR Good luck finding a solution! 

Daytime toilet training the oldest only did it when realising only knickers are allowed at Kindergarten, the other 2 started from their own accord at about 18 months.... 

I’m so jealous. When I was pregnant I woke up every hour on the hour to go. It was so frustrating and since it was high summer, I couldn’t restrict liquids in any way. 

• Upvote 3

Alyssa has posted more pictures of the new school/tv room. It's pretty but very grey. Our daycare/preschool is filled with bright colors and kids art all over the walls with various teaching tools (alphabet, routine diagrams,  etc). That room is focused more on being instagram worthy than any actual learning.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Fuck it makes me sad her doing her school room tour. She just seems to want it for show and does not care for its purpose. Those two little girls sitting on iPads looking like drones. It makes me sad compared to the daily updates and photos I get of my girl at preschool making shadow puppets and doing weather experiments and doing pupil lead ideas, drawing letters in the sand, Playing with her friends. Such a stark and horrible contrast to her pretty school room that reeks of indoctrination and separation. That room gives me the vibes of sucking the joy out of life  of little robots behind a desk with information bouncing off their face not being absorbed or interacted. Yes I’m being dramatic. But it’s just fucking sad. I’m gunna call Alyssa mrs trunchbowl from Matilda cause she makes learning suck. 

2 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Alyssa has posted more pictures of the new school/tv room. It's pretty but very grey. Our daycare/preschool is filled with bright colors and kids art all over the walls with various teaching tools (alphabet, routine diagrams,  etc). That room is focused more on being instagram worthy than any actual learning.

We were typing similar sentiments at the same time. Yours is more articulate :)

• Upvote 8

22 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

We did pull-ups until she was ready to be dry at night. When she was able, it was easy. I think biology has a lot to do with it. I have one child who struggles with or-omg and leaked a bit. Less pressure is better imo. 

I also looked into peejamas. We never tried them but they were next on my list.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Fuck it makes me sad her doing her school room tour. She just seems to want it for show and does not care for its purpose. Those two little girls sitting on iPads looking like drones. It makes me sad compared to the daily updates and photos I get of my girl at preschool making shadow puppets and doing weather experiments and doing pupil lead ideas, drawing letters in the sand, Playing with her friends. Such a stark and horrible contrast to her pretty school room that reeks of indoctrination and separation. That room gives me the vibes of sucking the joy out of life  of little robots behind a desk with information bouncing off their face not being absorbed or interacted. Yes I’m being dramatic. But it’s just fucking sad. I’m gunna call Alyssa mrs trunchbowl from Matilda cause she makes learning suck. 

We were typing similar sentiments at the same time. Yours is more articulate :)

Yep, thinking the same thing. Notably she says she can "finally relax" in that room and that she mostly sits and folds laundry.

Exhibit A: wearing shorts does not mean you're fully invested in Quiverful and indoctrinating your quiver into the exact same toxic beliefs. Alyssa is as bad as they come, just with a more polished aesthetic. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

I liked the school room tour. But it seemed pretty pointless to me, since... don't they live in a 3 bedroom house? And will soon have 4 kids?

• Upvote 1

I watched the homeschool video, and I must say I feel so sorry for the Webster girls who will spend their school days watching pre-recorded lessons on a screen and not realise that it's not what school is supposed to be like.

Due to Covid, all my lectures at university this term are online, and some of them are pre-recorded, and I was surprised at how different it is from the real thing. Even if lectures often are mostly one-way communication with little interaction between teacher and students, it is very different listening to something pre-recorded on the computer compared to listening to one live in a lecture hall. I don't like it very much and find it difficult to pay attention. 

I cannot even imagine how it can be a sufficient replacement for students the Webster girls' ages. Anyone who has ever been in an elementary school classroom knows how much the teacher and the students interact with each other, and to remove that completely seems strange. 

To me it seems like Alyssa likes it because it demands very little of her. She only has to grade some of the girls' work, and when they're that age that doesn't take long. It's also a set-up that will work with many more kids, they'll just need to buy a few more laptops.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, freethemall said:

While I get your point, there's also an opinion about kindergarten rooms being too distracting and making kids too excited. The lack of excessive toys, colours and stuff is tied to more relaxed and focused students. Of course children must have access to materials, but not everything must be displayed at the same time. I know it sounds Maxwellian, but it's not the intention. It's the same trend that happened with nurseries, in the 90's they were bright colourful and now they are mostly creamy/grey with few decoration.

I doubt Alyssa is considering anything out of fashion, though.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

While I get your point, there's also an opinion about kindergarten rooms being too distracting and making kids too excited. The lack of excessive toys, colours and stuff is tied to more relaxed and focused students. Of course children must have access to materials, but not everything must be displayed at the same time. I know it sounds Maxwellian, but it's not the intention. It's the same trend that happened with nurseries, in the 90's they were bright colourful and now they are mostly creamy/grey with few decoration.

I was coming here to say something very similar. I have a masters in early childhood education and one thing that is emphasized by respected theorists and scholars, both modern and classical, (e.g. Vygotsky, Bondrova, Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Elkind) is that the bright wall decorations are over stimulating and counter productive to the learning process. Unless there is a true purpose to something being on the wall, it ought not to be there. That is not to say that children’s self-directed art projects and other things created by the children shouldn’t be there, as those serve a purpose. Rather, the decorations and cluttered walls are not only useless, but counter productive. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3

35 minutes ago, Scoodilypoop said:

I was coming here to say something very similar. I have a masters in early childhood education and one thing that is emphasized by respected theorists and scholars, both modern and classical, (e.g. Vygotsky, Bondrova, Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Elkind) is that the bright wall decorations are over stimulating and counter productive to the learning process. Unless there is a true purpose to something being on the wall, it ought not to be there. That is not to say that children’s self-directed art projects and other things created by the children shouldn’t be there, as those serve a purpose. Rather, the decorations and cluttered walls are not only useless, but counter productive. 

My youngest's daycare was like that. Rooms were sunny and with very few decoration. Walls were white with pale wooden cabinets and the only splash of colour was in a corner full of pillows.  The toys were there to play, but you hadn't the sensation of entering a toy store. 

When they did a craft (for example, finger paint), they displayed it for several days. But it was taken out before the next craft to be showed. In short, I loved the place.

Then, he started preschool (US kindergarten? 3 years old) in a school I liked for its curriculum, but the classrooms are as full of stuff and colour as if Jill Rod had designed it! I would love to declutter but I don't want to mess with the director haha!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Yup. When I still did Early Intervention(Masters in Special Ed) one of the very first lectures I gave all my parents is buy a cabinet and put away 75% of the toys. There's absolutely no reason why the child has to see everything they own. It doesn't stimulate them. In fact it completely distracts them. When they see everything they run from toy to toy to toy without proper play. If they're presented with one toy and they play with it, even for 30 seconds but it's developmental they benefit from that on a much higher level. I always noticed that attention spans went up when presented with only one toy.

7 hours ago, Scoodilypoop said:

BTW reading the really bad translations of Vygotsky in grad school was like hell. It was so bad. I agree with this theories but the translations were awful.

• Upvote 8

16 hours ago, BookwormExtraordinaire said:

I watched the homeschool video, and I must say I feel so sorry for the Webster girls who will spend their school days watching pre-recorded lessons on a screen and not realise that it's not what school is supposed to be like.

Due to Covid, all my lectures at university this term are online, and some of them are pre-recorded, and I was surprised at how different it is from the real thing. Even if lectures often are mostly one-way communication with little interaction between teacher and students, it is very different listening to something pre-recorded on the computer compared to listening to one live in a lecture hall. I don't like it very much and find it difficult to pay attention. 

I cannot even imagine how it can be a sufficient replacement for students the Webster girls' ages. Anyone who has ever been in an elementary school classroom knows how much the teacher and the students interact with each other, and to remove that completely seems strange. 

To me it seems like Alyssa likes it because it demands very little of her. She only has to grade some of the girls' work, and when they're that age that doesn't take long. It's also a set-up that will work with many more kids, they'll just need to buy a few more laptops.

It’s going to mess with those poor girls eyes. Staring at a computer for hours as a kid is not good period. Not good for their development. Not good for their eyes. Not good for creativity. Not good for their activity level at that age. Not good for communication with kids their own age. 

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, Scoodilypoop said:

BTW, five stars on your FJ name. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

On 8/30/2020 at 11:53 PM, AussieKrissy said:

My daughter was not night dry until she was 11! She was also a very deep sleeper and didn't wake up even when she was wet. We tried the alarm thing, but hated it. It woke us all up and it goes off when they wet themselves anyway, so we gave it up. Her pediatrician wouldn't intervene until she turned 11 and still couldn't control it. Not sure why 11 is the magic age. Finally we were referred to a urologist, he did a little procedure (can't remember the name) where they insert a camera to check her out. After this procedure, they couldn't find an issue, but she was able to hold it all night.  Then when she was about 17, she started occasionally wetting again.  We're waiting for things to be back to normal so we can see an adult urologist now that she's 18.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

BTW reading the really bad translations of Vygotsky in grad school was like hell. It was so bad. I agree with this theories but the translations were awful.

Hahahahaha. I only did mine in the last few years, but maybe translations have gotten better, but I get the pain. My undergrad degree is in philosophy and just the thought of reading terrible Hegel translations still makes me want cry. Back to Vygotsky, every once in a while, the term "zone of proximal development" pops into my head and I shudder.

14 hours ago, nausicaa said:

BTW, five stars on your FJ name. 

Thanks. Definitely the most appropriate term from that fandom for a fundie forum. DFTBA!

• Upvote 4

On 9/2/2020 at 12:00 PM, Scoodilypoop said:

Hahahahaha. I only did mine in the last few years, but maybe translations have gotten better, but I get the pain. My undergrad degree is in philosophy and just the thought of reading terrible Hegel translations still makes me want cry. Back to Vygotsky, every once in a while, the term "zone of proximal development" pops into my head and I shudder.

Every time I hear my friends talk about potty training I think of Vygotsky lol

• Upvote 1

Someone in Alyssa’s comments asked her if she belonged to any home school co ops in her community. She responded by saying there are home school co ops. I wish she would allow her kids to be involved with one. That was the only thing I liked when I was home schooled. I only did it my last year being home schooled but I loved it. I hated being home all day.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Hmm..Alyssa and John have scheduled far in advance a youtube live for a sex reveal and it's all so over the top. I think they already know and because they are doing it live...she is having a boy. I kinda hope I'm wrong because I want their girls to be celebrated too. But that's a pipe dream. 

Spoiler

648153201_ScreenShot2020-09-03at10_45_59PM.thumb.png.3fb5500e47535a17e807dc9c5a017f14.png

1675436958_ScreenShot2020-09-03at10_45_42PM.thumb.png.a65f53e4732d2e83cba6afefbfa5dbb3.png

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 2

5 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Hmm..Alyssa and John have scheduled far in advance a youtube live for a sex reveal and it's all so over the top. I think they already know and because they are doing it live...she is having a boy. I kinda hope I'm wrong because I want their girls to be celebrated too. But that's a pipe dream. 

Reveal hidden contents

648153201_ScreenShot2020-09-03at10_45_59PM.thumb.png.3fb5500e47535a17e807dc9c5a017f14.png

1675436958_ScreenShot2020-09-03at10_45_42PM.thumb.png.a65f53e4732d2e83cba6afefbfa5dbb3.png

She could be lying of course, but she replied to a comment asking if they know the gender already but saying “No, we find out next week.” So they may plan to just livestream their gender reveal so that they find out with everyone else, or they’ll do a gender reveal and then do a live video announcing it, or she’s lying and they already know and will be telling the world that day. I find it interesting that she’s switching to YouTube for the reveal instead of a magazine article. Also, if she films the reveal live next week for their video, would BUB still show the footage again for the show since the world already saw it? I know TLC does that with the Duggar’s’ birth specials, but BUB doesn’t do that. 

• Upvote 4

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic