IGNORED

Coronavirus 3

GreyhoundFan

4 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

"Permanently damages your immune system" WTAF already??? God I hope some of these people contract non-mild cases of covid and discover just how permanent some actual damage can be.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Well, it's July, in this year of horrors. This month, we will find out that sharknados are real.

I'll take wildfires in the West for 20, Alex.

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

I am in the Pacific Northwest and sadly, I think you are right for July and August and probably September as well. I know there already has been a small wildfire along the Columbia River.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Well, it's July, in this year of horrors. This month, we will find out that sharknados are real.

I'm pretty sure I have supervolcano for July... 

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

:shakehead2:

Holy. Crap. Are they population screening and testing, or is this people presenting with symptoms? Because if that's symptomatic numbers it suggests that there are a lot more asymptomatic cases out there.

We are going into partial lockdown again with daily case numbers rising to the 70s - I cannot visualise how bad daily case numbers in the 1000s are (or rather I really don't want to.) Stay safe everyone.

• Upvote 9

It‘s getting worse and worse ? I’m just so sorry for all you FJers from the States. The situation seems to get out of control in some states. Please stay safe! https://twitter.com/tiredofgop/status/1278394480991727617?s=20

Better news from my country: As cases continue to rise, at least our government is reacting and makes masks mandatory for public transportation as of next Monday. I hope shops will soon be included.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 8

This group is working to help small businesses in Virginia.

• Upvote 3

Inquiry launched into quarantine breaches.

So a quick recap - the state of Victoria, Australia, had gotten new daily case numbers down to under 10, pretty much all overseas travellers held in mandatory hotel quarantine. Then we started having cases that were clusters, and the numbers grew so that in less than two weeks we went to over 70 new cases per day. Testing was ramped up, and today ten regions went back into full lockdown. 

In the midst of this genomic sequencing of the cases from mid-May showed that they were all linked to breaches of the hotel quarantine, particularly by security guards who had been employed to enforce the quarantine. As it turns out they were... not very good at that. Allegedly some slept with quarantined people (which does beg the question of just how dumb do you have to be to do that?), some allowed families to intermingle between rooms. At least some were inadvertent (shared cigarette lighter, carpooling to work). 

Then of course they passed it to their own families, and extended families (which may also have been at gatherings in breach of number limits at the time) and from there it went into the community via schools, doctors, friends, workmates etc. Because it's a very infectious bloody virus, ffs.

If it is shown that anyone in quarantine was in fact so effing stupid as to sleep with a security guard, or mingle with non-related people - then I hope they bloody throw the book at them. Honestly, humans can be so bloody stupid.

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

A pandemic and Vanilla Ice? The writers for this season suck!

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF 11
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

A pandemic and Vanilla Ice?

He can change the words to his one famous song: "Corona-virus-virus, baby" 

• Haha 11

On 7/1/2020 at 8:25 AM, FiveAcres said:

Pfft, wildfires are so 2019!

Seriously, though. It feels like every week I'm bracing for new bad news. The Philadelphia area was dropping, and now it's starting to go up again. Because people are IDIOTS.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

My nephew is a student at ASU. His roommate  just tested +. My nephew is at risk d/t  2 Respiratory system medical conditions. Since it’s hard to get tested in AZ, I think he’s headed back home to No. CA-

• Love 13

Autopsies revealing more information about how this coronavirus acts on the body.

It's actually quite fascinating (to me...) to see how the pathology both confirms the clinical symptoms and confounds what people thought was happening. 

Meanwhile we're at 66 cases today, and now it's reported that security guards took people shopping. Blamestorming has of course started, with people blaming lack of training, not using the ADF for security, politics, etc etc. At least it's cold and wintery over the weekend so with any luck people will stay the hell home.

Oh who am I kidding, they'll all go shopping.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Interesting information about credit card use and COVID.

• Upvote 7

• Sad 7
  • WTF 1

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Interesting information about credit card use and COVID.

So essentially states that locked down more have less spread than states that didn't? Well that was... predictable.

It's interesting here that pretty much all transactions have gone to touch (electronic debit) rather than cash. Some places are not accepting cash at all (this is technically illegal, but it's being let slide a bit with small businesses due to the perceived increased risk). While I do still have cash on me I don't think I've done a cash transaction since my last day on site in March. (And I really hope the person who I did the transaction with is OK, because she was at higher risk and her job has essentially vanished.)

• Upvote 5

Background: my husband has itchy feet and loves to travel. We’ll take a long weekend trip once every two or three months and a long trip once a year. 

We traveled Presidents Day weekend—right before it seems all hell broke loose. Because of COVID we’ve had to cancel our trip to London this summer. 

He wants to take a trip at the end of this month. I’m terrified to go. He insists we can do it safely, but I’m not at all comfortable traveling for leisure right now. To be honest, I’m not comfortable  traveling for any reason. We live in a very active area and I’m getting anxious just going to the store for groceries much less an airport and planes and rental cars and every thing we’d do on the trip. 

I don’t know how to convince him going on vacation because he’s bored isn’t a safe choice. Not to mention he was furloughed for two and a half months and it impacted our bottom line. He’s back to work and has been trip planning since he got his call back. I don’t want to spend money like that so soon after losing his income for that long. 

Any words of advice would be helpful. 

• Love 11

Junior's squeeze has tested positive: "Kimberly Guilfoyle -- Donald Trump Jr.'s girlfriend and top Trump campaign official -- tests positive for coronavirus"

Spoiler

(CNN)Kimberly Guilfoyle -- the girlfriend of Donald Trump Jr. and a top fundraiser for the Trump campaign -- has tested positive for coronavirus, a person familiar with the matter and a campaign source familiar with the matter confirmed to CNN.

Guilfoyle tested positive in South Dakota before she was set to attend the President's event at Mount Rushmore, the sources said.

Guilfoyle was not with the President and Donald Trump Jr. has so far tested negative, the person familiar with the matter said. That source said Guilfoyle had not had recent contact with the President, but she was in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and was backstage for his rally there and was also at his event in Phoenix.

Guilfoyle's positive test was first reported by The New York Times.

A former Fox News personality, Guilfoyle assumed the role earlier this year of national chairwoman of the Trump Victory Finance Committee, where she is credited with expanding its ranks of fundraisers.

Guilfoyle is not the first person close to the President to test positive for the virus. A member of the Navy who serves as one of Trump's personal valets tested positive in May. Additionally, eight Trump advance team staffers who were in Tulsa tested positive for coronavirus.

All of Trump's campaign staffers who attended his rally in Tulsa were quarantining last week after interacting with several colleagues who later tested positive for coronavirus, CNN reported at the time. Campaign aides are tested before events, per the Trump campaign's safety protocols.

This is a breaking story and will be updated.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

I don’t know how to convince him going on vacation because he’s bored isn’t a safe choice. Not to mention he was furloughed for two and a half months and it impacted our bottom line. He’s back to work and has been trip planning since he got his call back. I don’t want to spend money like that so soon after losing his income for that long. 

I suppose you could tell him he'd have to go alone, although you'd welcome daily calls from him to keep in contact.

Then, when he returns, let him stay in a tent in the yard for two weeks.  Make it a nice one and run a line out so he can plug in a TV, lights, and charge his phone.  Set up a separate tent if you can for a chemical toilet, and a tarped area for a solar shower he can use.  Give him a cooler to put beverages and cold snacks in.  Put his meals out and either eat alone or you can join him while staying at least six feet away.

If he comes down sick you'll need to be healthy to help him through, because you love him.  Hopefully, he'll decide not to go because he loves you too.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

He wants to take a trip at the end of this month.

Very curious as to where, and how far away. Where I am flying anywhere is difficult, most flights have been cancelled and a lot of state borders are closed. We can travel within the state, although rumour has it we may be locking down again tomorrow, sigh, which will stop that too.

Is driving somewhere rural for the weekend possible? Obviously you can wear masks, and use hand sanitizer to minimise the risk, but driving rather than flying would also further limit the number of people you're in contact with, particularly if you take your own food.  I understand the feeling of needing to get out (..don't even ask how I feel about renewed lockdown), but he also needs to acknowledge that your concern and anxiety are for a really good reason, and maybe work out a way to compromise.

• Upvote 1

The situation in Melbourne is dire, by Australian standards. Over a hundred cases today, which I know doesn't sound huge compared to other places, but that's comparable to the highest single-day number that the country had, back in March. Further lockdowns are happening via postcode, which is a weird and hard-to-enforce system but they're trying to avoid shutting everything again. However, the biggest news out of this afternoon's press conference:

9 public housing towers in these areas are being put in full lockdown down for at least 5 days. No one leaves at all, not to get food or go to work or anything. Only residents can return. This is a full-on quarantine style lockdown, with police presence at the doors to enforce. It was also a "starting right now" announcement, no one had any time to get supplies or anything (and I know there's a general vibe that people should have a couple of weeks supplies on hand in case of something like this, but we're talking about people with very little money, in a country where life was all but "back to normal" a week or two ago). These are people who are already poor and disenfranchised, many of them refugees who have little to no English and haven't been able to follow what's happening in the media and understand how it will impact them. And of course with poverty there's the high rates of crime, domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse - I shudder to think what will happen when people with drug addictions can't leave to get their fix. At a time when police brutality and racism is being exposed worldwide, we're taking places with large numbers of dark-skinned poor people and literally imprisoning them in towers with a deadly virus, police on the doorstep. Not because they pose the risk to the community, but because they're at risk, due to the designs of the buildings they're in (which says something about our public housing, but that's another rant).

I don't know what the solution is. I don't know if I can blame the Victorian government for their rationale or motivations. But it sits in my stomach making me feel deeply uncomfortable and my heart is breaking for the people in those towers.

8 hours ago, Quiver Full of Kittens said:

Background: my husband has itchy feet and loves to travel. We’ll take a long weekend trip once every two or three months and a long trip once a year. 

We traveled Presidents Day weekend—right before it seems all hell broke loose. Because of COVID we’ve had to cancel our trip to London this summer. 

He wants to take a trip at the end of this month. I’m terrified to go. He insists we can do it safely, but I’m not at all comfortable traveling for leisure right now. To be honest, I’m not comfortable  traveling for any reason. We live in a very active area and I’m getting anxious just going to the store for groceries much less an airport and planes and rental cars and every thing we’d do on the trip. 

Eek this is so hard. Honestly, depending on where you live and what case numbers are like, how much of a risk you really think it is, I'd consider the crying-and-begging approach.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 2

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Very curious as to where, and how far away. Where I am flying anywhere is difficult, most flights have been cancelled and a lot of state borders are closed. We can travel within the state, although rumour has it we may be locking down again tomorrow, sigh, which will stop that too.

We reside in Florida and he wants to visit western Texas/New Mexico/Colorado. A huge part of what he wants to do is theme parks, so we have lots of exposure there as well. 

• WTF 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic