IGNORED

Coping Strategies for Dealing with COVID-19

Palimpsest

9 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

How did it turn out? The recipe sounds intriguing!

It turned out surprisingly well and is a quick recipe for a basic chocolate cake.  We ate it plain with a dab of vanilla ice cream.  Here's the recipe:

Use 8-inch square pan (no need to grease).  Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix dry ingredients:

1-1/2 cup flour

1 cup sugar

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour/stir in wet ingredients:

1 tablespoon vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla

6 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 cup water

Bake 30 minutes or until done in the middle.

I forgot the vanilla (oops) and it still tasted fine.

• Thank You 7

@CTRLZero, thank you! After looking over the recipe, I can already see three easy variations of it. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 2

Judge has some issues with zoom 

Casual attire can be excused for many of our work-from-home virtual calls.

But that can only go so far when you’re a lawyer Zooming into a court hearing.

As courts hold some of their proceedings online to prevent spreading the coronavirus, Broward circuit judge Dennis Bailey described some of what they’re seeing from the bench.

“It is remarkable how many ATTORNEYS appear inappropriately on camera,” Bailey wrote in a letter posted to the Weston Bar Associated website. “We’ve seen many lawyers in casual shirts and blouses, with no concern for ill-grooming, in bedrooms with the master bed in the background, etc. One male lawyer appeared shirtless and one female attorney appeared still in bed, still under the covers.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 11

A nearby bookstore is offering curbside pickup and local delivery right now. I am in the neighboring town so can’t get delivery, but they were happy to ship to me. I ordered one of their “mystery bundles” from their used book selections. The customer chooses the genre, they gather some and mail the package. I am so excited and am really impressed with their efforts. I also ordered a bundle to be delivered to my mother in another state. This leads to my big concern right now. 

My mother lives alone, about six hours from me.  During the first week or so, of staying home, I called every day and we had really nice conversations.  Now, though, she is so angry about the whole thing.  It is really difficult for me to call because she seems to resent everybody that is not home alone. She has always been self centered and rarely sees the good in any person or situation. So, this has really sent her into a tailspin. I feel terrible that I dread calling her, but I have to make myself call every three or four days. She doesn’t even like being around people. She just wants to be able to go shopping, see a movie, etc. I totally understand that. When I do call, it is just so she can vent at me for twenty minutes and I hang up feeling defeated and guilty.  I have tried to remind her that I know it is hard, but she has two granddaughters who very much appreciate people staying home; they are nurses.  Mainly, I just listen and let her use me as her verbal punching bag. 

So, I don’t know if I should keep calling? Call more often? Less often? Give myself several days off? 

• Love 14

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

I want to know how they say "I would like to see your manager."

I headed over to Google....no dice.  They don't offer Karen as a language they can translate to or from. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, usmcmom said:

A nearby bookstore is offering curbside pickup and local delivery right now. I am in the neighboring town so can’t get delivery, but they were happy to ship to me. I ordered one of their “mystery bundles” from their used book selections. The customer chooses the genre, they gather some and mail the package. I am so excited and am really impressed with their efforts. I also ordered a bundle to be delivered to my mother in another state. This leads to my big concern right now. 

My mother lives alone, about six hours from me.  During the first week or so, of staying home, I called every day and we had really nice conversations.  Now, though, she is so angry about the whole thing.  It is really difficult for me to call because she seems to resent everybody that is not home alone. She has always been self centered and rarely sees the good in any person or situation. So, this has really sent her into a tailspin. I feel terrible that I dread calling her, but I have to make myself call every three or four days. She doesn’t even like being around people. She just wants to be able to go shopping, see a movie, etc. I totally understand that. When I do call, it is just so she can vent at me for twenty minutes and I hang up feeling defeated and guilty.  I have tried to remind her that I know it is hard, but she has two granddaughters who very much appreciate people staying home; they are nurses.  Mainly, I just listen and let her use me as her verbal punching bag. 

So, I don’t know if I should keep calling? Call more often? Less often? Give myself several days off? 

I would keep calling because if I were in your shoes, I'd worry if I didn't call. Then I'd do my best to be cheerful and chat with her until the 'airing of the grievances' begins. Once that happens, I'd wish her a good day, and immediately get off the phone. I know that sounds easier said than done, but allowing her to get worked up and then take it out on you is bad for both of you.

If you decide to try that, is there someone you can practice with? I know that may sound funny, but I've found for myself that sometimes a little role play before doing something I'm nervous about, helps me be more confident when it's showtime.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

I would keep calling because if I were in your shoes, I'd worry if I didn't call. Then I'd do my best to be cheerful and chat with her until the 'airing of the grievances' begins. Once that happens, I'd wish her a good day, and immediately get off the phone. I know that sounds easier said than done, but allowing her to get worked up and then take it out on you is bad for both of you.

If you decide to try that, is there someone you can practice with? I know that may sound funny, but I've found for myself that sometimes a little role play before doing something I'm nervous about, helps me be more confident when it's showtime.

Thank you for the suggestion.  Actually, this evening I was telling my husband “If she says this, I will try to respond with that...”  so maybe you and I had the same thought? I appreciate your feedback and will probably call her tomorrow (which is actually already today, I guess). 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

On 4/14/2020 at 10:46 PM, clueliss said:

Personally - letting my hair grown.  

For me - the slightly larger issue is the gray skunk stripe due to not coloring hair.  I'm letting it go and will make a decision on what to do with hair color when this is all over.  For now, people get to deal with me in transition.  

I ended up dying mine again.. the grey was driving me nuts in zoom meetings.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I headed over to Google....no dice.  They don't offer Karen as a language they can translate to or from. 

So did I!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I love how all well-being/mental health  advice says ‘make sure you get enough sleep’ like it’s a choice. They think you can just shut your eyes and go to sleep? “Just get more sleep” to some of us is the equivalent of “want to qualify for track and field events at the Olympics? Just go for a run around the block tomorrow and we’ll see you there in Tokyo!”

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 5

On 4/15/2020 at 5:32 PM, usmcmom said:

You have a nearby bookstore that's open, even just for pickups and deliveries? So jealous!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

I'm trying to hold off as long as possible to go grocery shopping.  Last time I went in, I noticed the bulk foods section was roped off.  I usually buy granola in bulk, so I am now going to try making my own mix.  If anyone has any recommendations before I launch into this project, please let me know.  I'll probably start with a small batch, just in case.

Also, I'm on a mission to be less wasteful.  I have about a cup or so of sauerkraut that I'd like to mix with something (*not* the granola, lol).  Any ideas?  I'm thinking some sort of potato/sauerkraut fritter, but any other ideas appreciated. 

Any ideas of what to do with a few limes and tequila?  Kidding -- I got this one.  ?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3

I just made my biweekly trip yesterday. I feel your pain about the bulk foods- I like to pick up a 10 grain hot breakfast cereal, as well as ingredients for recipes in smaller quantities, but WinCo has drained their bulk containers of unwrapped foods (not sure about individually wrapped candy, etc.).

On a related note, I've been eating a lot of bowl meals, served over rice. I was almost out of rice, so picked some up- 20 lbs worth, the only size I saw. Guess I'm set for awhile.

I shop every 2 weeks, which is about as often as I need milk.

The meats were stocked better than they have been recently. I got chicken breasts at their normal cost, and found boneless pork shoulder butt roast on sale at Safeway for a good price, so did get 2. One is for a new recipe, and I'm not sure if the other will be conga lime pork, or if I'll try one of my many other recipes that call for boneless pork shoulder roast. I have looked for it at WinCo and Walmart, but have only found it at Safeway.

It was interesting- I saw more masks at WinCo, a lower priced store, than at Safeway, a store I mainly shop for meat sales (and a few other things, if I see an ad and they are on sale).

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 8

10 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I'm trying to hold off as long as possible to go grocery shopping.  Last time I went in, I noticed the bulk foods section was roped off.  I usually buy granola in bulk, so I am now going to try making my own mix.  If anyone has any recommendations before I launch into this project, please let me know.  I'll probably start with a small batch, just in case.

Also, I'm on a mission to be less wasteful.  I have about a cup or so of sauerkraut that I'd like to mix with something (*not* the granola, lol).  Any ideas?  I'm thinking some sort of potato/sauerkraut fritter, but any other ideas appreciated. 

Any ideas of what to do with a few limes and tequila?  Kidding -- I got this one.  ?

First I would like to invite you to our cooking thread in the JRod forum...you'd love it there and we talk about bulk and non-wasteful cooking a lot.

Also, are you talking about cereal granola or like granola bars?  Ina Garten has a fabulous granola bar recipe I can find, but it's pretty sweet...like dessert level sweet.

As for the saurkraut....I'm not a fan unless it's in a reuben, but turkey ruebens are good too, if you don't have corned beef at home.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

The Coronavirus shitshow is getting to me today, so Mr. Cartmann99 brought me a rose from our backyard to cheer me up.

image.png.f0de5ba9fbf2bf0675c691b4948670a2.png

I really should have dusted off my canister before taking that picture. :pb_biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • Love 21

A professor asked her students to send her pictures of their dogs doing homework (there are cats, guinea pigs, a gecko and a rabbit, too!):

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • Love 13

On 4/16/2020 at 6:44 PM, JMarie said:

You have a nearby bookstore that's open, even just for pickups and deliveries? So jealous!

I found a thing on our school district's social media that a company that puts on book fairs in area schools is selling books online, and having a 50 percent off everything sale. So, I ordered a few books for each kid and two for myself. If I had ordered $50 or more, I could have had it shipped for free, but since I didn't, I need to go to their warehouse on Monday to do a curbside pickup. It has given me a reason to look forward to Monday!

I've also been discovering the joys of Amazon Prime video. We've had Prime for a few years, but until we got WiFi (kind of a family Christmas gift), watching videos wasn't practical with just my phone's data. I've been working my way through Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and I discovered all four Wallace and Grommit short movies. I enjoyed A Grand Day Out yesterday, but I'm going to save the other three for now. I love Wallace and Grommit. They always make me smile! :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I discovered all four Wallace and Grommit short movies. I enjoyed A Grand Day Out yesterday, but I'm going to save the other three for now. I love Wallace and Grommit.

Thanks for the idea!  I love them too!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

I haven't gotten our Amazon Prime set up on the TV, but knowing the Wallace and Grommit movies are available, I'll do it today. I used to have a 3-set of Wallace and Grommit movies, but that may have been even before DVDs. 

I'm headed to Whole Foods in a few minutes for 7-8 am senior shopping hour.  I'm willing to go back now because everyone in Austin is required to wear a mask indoors and I'm assuming that includes employees in stores.   I was pretty shocked when I went 10 days ago and very few people (employees or shoppers) were masked up.  It's becoming obvious that an incredible number of people are asymptomatic carriers and especially in the age group that shops at  and works at the WF that I am going to. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, Howl said:

I haven't gotten our Amazon Prime set up on the TV, but knowing the Wallace and Grommit movies are available, I'll do it today. I used to have a 3-set of Wallace and Grommit movies, but that may have been even before DVDs. 

I have the first 3 W & G short movies on DVD (they came in a set with Curse of the Wererabbit), but our DVD player is on the fritz. It doesn't always open to let the DVD out. So far, I've always eventually managed to get the DVD out, but it really needs replaced.

I just watch Prime videos on my Kindle. The smaller screen isn't so bad, as long as I hold it close. I'm pretty sure that our television is too old to be able to stream Amazon Prime. If new TVs are "smart" TVs, ours is definitely "dumb"! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1

On 4/16/2020 at 7:44 PM, JMarie said:

Yes. I am so impressed by how they are striving to be available to the community and stay in business safely. It is a lovely little bookstore - new books and a few gift items in front, used books and a couple of old easy chairs in back. I might do a curbside pickup in a couple weeks, just to give them some business and to take a drive. 
When things open up again, I will definitely make this shop a regular stop. 

My Mystery Bundle is due to arrive tomorrow. I’ll keep everyone posted. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

18 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I just watch Prime videos on my Kindle. The smaller screen isn't so bad, as long as I hold it close. I'm pretty sure that our television is too old to be able to stream Amazon Prime. If new TVs are "smart" TVs, ours is definitely "dumb"!

If your TV has an HDMI port, get a Roku or Amazon FireTV stick and plug that in. The stick will be your smart TV, They're like $40.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

You can also connect your computer to your TV with an HDMI cable and stream your computer screen on the TV screen.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1