IGNORED

Coping Strategies for Dealing with COVID-19

Palimpsest

Yes, the staff at my FIL's cafe home have been excellent during this.  Their administrator even had banners made up that say, "Heroes work here," and, "Heroes live here" that are hanging outside the building for everybody to see as they drive by.  They have been doing all sorts of things to keep up the spirits of everybody inside and doing a great job of trying to keep contact with families. My FIL has Alzheimer's and we decided Skype would be too upsetting /confusing for him. For his birthday last week we were able to send in cards and some treats. The staff sent us pics of them being his stand in family as he opened the treat bags/cards. He had a huge smile as they sang him Happy birthday and gave him cake. 

A family member of another resident wanted to play the harp for her mother's birthday.  In the end they arranged a hook up to their massive screen tv so that everyone could listen.  For some reason it made me think of the scene in Shawshank where Andy blasts an opera aria over the PA system and the whole place stops what they were doing to listen to a little bit of beauty in the middle of hard times.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

I have just discovered my local library system provides free access to Kanopy,  and thus  to The Great Courses. I have started a drawing course, but there are courses in history, art, science, hobbies, social sciences, cooking, language and culture - you name it there is probably a Great Course. What a terrific resource, I am sure other library systems must also provide access to this or other learning opportunities. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 8

The Dude is Abiding during this crisis.

He's right, especially as long as we have access to White Russians and Sodas of Oat.

• Upvote 4

https://ew.com/theater/hairspray-virtual-performance/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article&utm_content=20200515&fbclid=IwAR3gcINniMOx9UcqecSm8DDSxArTSs6rQOgpV2AI

Urgh. I have no idea if I’m posting this right. Hope it cheers you up. Also, Michael Ball. And Zac Ephron. Just.

Edited by Threff
I dunno except maybe Zac Ephron.
  • Love 2

Now more than ever, it's important that you celebrate the little things. Did you almost not burn your last batch of sourdough? Did you wash your hair for the first time in days? Give yourself a pat on the back! And if you're really putting in the leg work, like, say, filing your taxes on your own, Natural Light wants to celebrate that by giving you free beer.

You should know by now that the deadline for filing your taxes has been extended to July 15 rather than the usual date in April. This means you've still got time, and if you decide to file your taxes with TaxAct, you can get a free case of Natty Light. 

The beverage brand is teaming up with the service to give you this offer, so you'll have to upload proof. The free beer will technically come in a rebate, so you'll purchase whatever Natty Light product you want—yup, even Naturdays or the hard seltzers—and then get reimbursed by Natty.

Yeah I’m not that desperate

• I Agree 1

Amazon has this because of course they do. 

F*ck Trump: An Adult Coloring Book (Volume 1)  by Nasty Woman. 

I'd highly recommend checking out the "Sponsored Products Related to this Item" section. 

DH's sister is in memory care and fortunately that facility is free of corona virus so far.  However,  CNN is often on in the common room and the sister is experiencing a lot of anxiety about "the sickness" and worried that all the family members have it.  She's alert enough to know that something is happening, but unable to put in context what's actually happening in the outside world. Frequent phone calls and some SKYPE help reassure her, but it's still hard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 10

30 minutes ago, Howl said:

Amazon has this because of course they do. 

F*ck Trump: An Adult Coloring Book (Volume 1)  by Nasty Woman. 

I'd highly recommend checking out the "Sponsored Products Related to this Item" section. 

DH's sister is in memory care and fortunately that facility is free of corona virus so far.  However,  CNN is often on in the common room and the sister is experiencing a lot of anxiety about "the sickness" and worried that all the family members have it.  She's alert enough to know that something is happening, but unable to put in context what's actually happening in the outside world. Frequent phone calls and some SKYPE help reassure her, but it's still hard. 

The common room of the Memory Care facility where my MIL spent her last months had a large video screen, but I only saw it displaying landscape videos along to music. The choice to display CNN news seems strange when even those of us who do not yet have significant cognitive challenges are struggling to cope with the onslaught of bad news.

Edited by FiveAcres
fixed the inevitable typo
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

My mother was in memory care.  Screen in the common area often showed things like national park videos and Disney movies.  Sometimes a particular music sort of video would be played.  I’d complain about it upsetting folks.  

• Upvote 8

It's a rainy day here in western Washington, so I thought I'd share some of our stay-at-home activities with you. 

The photos:  1)  My husband built a birdhouse, and it's finally inhabited by a family of tiny birds.  You can see one busy homemaker perched on a plant hanger outside the opening.  2)  I ordered a "Social Distance" poster from an artist in Nashville.  We are setting up a "Pandemic Patio" or "Stay Away Cafe" this summer to visit with our neighbors as they walk by on the sidewalk.  We ended up with wooden yardsticks after clearing out my in-laws' house, so I used those to display the poster without damaging it.  3)  Has anyone else been cooking up a storm?  This is basic spinach lasagna, but I've always layered it before.  This is rolled up, and it makes it easier to serve portions--they just pop out of the pan.  Why I didn't think of this earlier...  The things I am learning during a pandemic! 

Spoiler

816045108_Birdhouseinhabited.thumb.jpg.42eed3d60bf062da5c5e999c06b10c09.jpg

Spoiler

StayAwayCafePoster.thumb.jpg.b46e342337c33f9ba6037e04815a87c8.jpg

Spoiler

Lasagna_Roll.thumb.jpg.626b6302cfa74654d3531dfea468f5c0.jpg

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

What it would look like if Chewbacca lived in a house down in California...

When somebody tells us that they’ve seen Bigfoot, we’re likely to wave it off as something that never happened. However, Bigfoot’s been spotted in an unusual place—in the photos of a house listed for sale in Felton, California.

Why is Bigfoot looking to move away from California’s redwood forests? Where is it planning to go next? We have so many questions! And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. In the photos, Bigfoot is baking cookies, doing yoga, chilling and reading books, video calling their friend, gardening, crafting something with power tools, and in one pic it’s even wearing a face mask.

This is either genius-level marketing or Bigfoot’s actually real and it’s been hiding under our noses this entire time. (If I were Bigfoot and I wanted to keep my existence secret, I’d post photos of myself online, too, because this way I’d know for sure that nobody would believe I’m real.) Bored Panda spoke with Daniel Oster, the listing agent for the property, about the photos of Bigfoot. Scroll down for the interview!

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, CTRLZero said:

My husband built a birdhouse, and it's finally inhabited by a family of tiny birds.  You can see one busy homemaker perched on a plant hanger outside the opening. 

It's hard to tell, but, going by that upturned tail, it looks like you may have a similar type of tenant to the ones who have built a nest outside my bedroom window. Since they pay their way with cheerful song, I think of them as my "wrenters."

?

• Upvote 3

Anyone have ideas on not falling into their usual habits? I'm used to running over to my parents' all the time. I slipped up today just because of that; I went over to give them some cookies and ended up stepping inside and talking for several minutes. So dumb and I'm kicking myself now, but I'm accustomed to just walking in and chatting, so now I'm worrying about having given them something or vice versa, especially with how easy it is to drift closer. This is why I try not to go over...

Any suggestions? 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Anyone have ideas on not falling into their usual habits?

I think we are mostly all getting restless and accidental socializing is so easy to do.  For me, wearing or having my mask in hand really helps as a reminder.  I take it your parents are not concerned with allowing visitors into their house (even though you are their closest loved one)?  We have witnessed some visitation between relatives in our neighborhood and wonder if they think it's okay at this point since no one has been diagnosed with it in their family groups?  (Just musing.)

My husband's mother is in an assisted living facility which has been on strict lockdown for a couple months.  It is pretty agonizing not to be able to visit her like we have done in the past.  We used to check in all the time, making sure she had all her supplies, etc., and now we have to guess what she needs and deliver it to the facility door.  The tradeoff is, there have been no cases of Covid-19 in her facility, which is a miracle since we are near a hotspot.

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I think we are mostly all getting restless and accidental socializing is so easy to do.  For me, wearing or having my mask in hand really helps as a reminder.  I take it your parents are not concerned with allowing visitors into their house (even though you are their closest loved one)?  We have witnessed some visitation between relatives in our neighborhood and wonder if they think it's okay at this point since no one has been diagnosed with it in their family groups?  (Just musing.)

My husband's mother is in an assisted living facility which has been on strict lockdown for a couple months.  It is pretty agonizing not to be able to visit her like we have done in the past.  We used to check in all the time, making sure she had all her supplies, etc., and now we have to guess what she needs and deliver it to the facility door.  The tradeoff is, there have been no cases of Covid-19 in her facility, which is a miracle since we are near a hotspot.

They are definitely not concerned. In fact, I'm usually lecturing them on not going out; I've had more than one phone call from them asking if I need anything because they're going to/at the store! I think they think I'm being paranoid. 

I'm not even sure restless is the word. I'm mostly okay being home, especially since I've had the occasional doctor's visit on top of being the grocery person for the house. I do miss them, though, which sounds silly when we're so close and talking on the phone and out in the yard so much, but not having the physical contact is driving me nuts when I'm so used to a casual hug when I see them.

It's both sad that you're cut off from your MIL and great that they're doing their best to keep her safe. It seems like that's the only way the facilities can manage; we're in the same situation with my grandfather.

I'll have to try carrying the mask if I run over. That might be enough of a reminder right there.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

This lady has the right idea

Shelley Gunn describes her Polish grandmother, Jennie Stejna, as having a feisty spirit. Stejna certainly displayed that spirit as the 103-year-old woman recently survived a bout with the coronavirus.

As Stejna’s condition worsened, Gunn said they called to say what they thought were their final goodbyes. She thanked Stejna for everything she had done for her. When Shelley's husband, Adam Gunn, asked whether Stejna was ready to go to heaven, she replied, “Hell yes.”

But on May 13, Gunn said she got good news — Stejna had recovered.

The staff gave Stejna an ice cold Bud Light to celebrate, something she loved but hadn’t had in a long time, Gunn said.

That would totally be my maternal Grandma if she was still with us and survived a bout of COVID-19.  I think one reason she lived as long as she did was that she wanted to be around to have BEER with as many of her Grandchildren as possible.

• Love 5

• 2 weeks later...

We've had a few Zoom conversations with our daughter, and she reports doing okay teaching her final courses on-line, so I took the next step and signed up for an on-line class starting next month.  It's through a university, but a continuing education course (so no credit).  The subject matter is...Pandemics! 

Has anyone else taken any courses to keep your mind active during the quarantine? 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

We've had a few Zoom conversations with our daughter, and she reports doing okay teaching her final courses on-line, so I took the next step and signed up for an on-line class starting next month.  It's through a university, but a continuing education course (so no credit).  The subject matter is...Pandemics! 

Has anyone else taken any courses to keep your mind active during the quarantine? 

I am taking a "how to draw" course online through my local library system/Kanopy. I am really enjoying it.  That reminds me - I have homework to do!  

Good for you signing up for Pandemics - very timely, LOL! 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Becky said:

I am taking a "how to draw" course online through my local library system/Kanopy.

A component of the historical pandemics course I am going to take includes sharing some artwork and/or personal writings about our experience of a pandemic.  I've let my painting go by the wayside, so I'm hoping this motivates me to pick up my brushes again.  A "how to draw" course would probably do me some good, so maybe I'll try something similar after finishing the pandemics class.  ?

• Upvote 2

I'm starting back to work this week. My public library is "opening" next week, with curbside pick up and drop off, and we're taking all sorts of precautions, but I'm still feeling paranoid, especially because my childcare is usually my parents or in-laws and the way we're handling the schedule for the building means that I can't just leave the kids with my husband, since he's working from home while I'd need to be there. We finally settled with them on doing a two-week block system, so we reduce the risk of everyone getting it if someone starts getting symptoms.

Honestly, it's enough to make me consider whether I really want to continue working, since I don't have to in the sense that we don't need my part-time income.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Drowning my anxiety with junk food. 
That is Mr. OneKid chopping garlic for dinner next a bag of my guilty not so secret shame Old Bay cheese curls. 

9E27304F-F5FF-4FE4-A08A-3894BC2FADCD.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Drowning my anxiety with junk food.

I love food prep photos!  Lately we've needed some comfort food, so we tackled cinnamon rolls yesterday.  Just a basic recipe from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.  My husband did great with the rolling pin.  In the photo, I am just adding cream cheese frosting.  I froze the bulk of them for later.

Spoiler

20200615_151821.thumb.jpg.a8519cae300c00a1677a4f1ea3969683.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aaand I've been back at work for two weeks and Mr. NQ and I have symptoms that may be colds, allergies, or COVID. Joy. We managed to get tested, which was not comfy, and will know this week.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Aaand I've been back at work for two weeks and Mr. NQ and I have symptoms that may be colds, allergies, or COVID. Joy. We managed to get tested, which was not comfy, and will know this week.

How safe do you think the work environment is?

• Upvote 2