IGNORED

Coping Strategies for Dealing with COVID-19

Palimpsest

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on strategies that we are finding useful in coping with this crisis.  I'm hoping that we are all doing our best to help control the spread by voluntarily social distancing, working from home (if we are allowed), and taking all possible precautions.   And I hope we can all stay healthy.  This is going to get worse before it gets better.

However, not only are we all feeling nervous but social isolation can exacerbate stress, anxiety and depression.  So can disruptions in normal routines and being cooped up at close quarters, even with our nearest and dearest.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/managing-stress-anxiety.html

So, If you want to murder your significant other because their working from home via Zoom conference calls has evicted you from your normal space (our best internet reception is in the family room and I have been evicted), can't think of how to occupy your children and make them knuckle down to distance learning while you are trying to work from home, have cabin fever, or are simply bored out of your mind, please share your ideas here. 

And please let's try to keep this thread positive.  Positive thinking does actually help in keeping people healthy both mentally and physically.  

I'm very much an introvert and thought I'd be coping better, but I'm getting ready to climb the walls.

Some things that are working for us, off the top of my head:

• We are staying up to date on the news but trying not to follow it obsessively.
  • From 6:00 pm till morning we do not discuss the situation at all.  We are reading, watching old movies, and doing things we find fun.
  • We are staying in contact with family and friends, granted by phone, email and skype.
  • Taking walks in the fresh air with the dogs helps.  You don't actually need a dog to take a short walk.  (People are being very good about keeping their distance and accepting our refusal to let them pet out dogs.  Sad for our very sociable dogs, but better for everyone.)
  • I have set up the dining room as a crafting area for the duration.  I have loads of projects in the pipeline I haven't been able to get to, now is the time.

I also called the local council on aging to see how I could volunteer, and now have a list of seniors to check in with by phone every day.  It's a way of getting them some human contact, but also to make sure they have the supplies and prescriptions the need.  Someone else will do pick-up and deliveries to them.  Doing something, even something that small, makes me feel better.

Also feeling grateful makes me feel better.  I'm grateful:

• for all the people who are voluntarily social distancing, self-isolating  is sick, and self-quarantining if they suspect they have been in contact with the virus, however hard it is.
  • that at least my state is taking this pandemic seriously and has closed restaurants and schools and banned large social gatherings.  
  • that people like @laPapessaGiovanna and @Italiangirl in Italy and many of our other international members still seem healthy.
  • for the fact that I did a Costco run in late January and stocked up on toilet paper, paper towels, and most staples.
  • that the no-knead bread recipe I haven't used for ages still works.  
  • that the grocery store employees are wiping down the conveyor belt and everything you touch during check-out between every single customer. 
  • that the big dinner reception I was dreading attending next week is cancelled.
  • And that we still have phone, internet, and Free Jinger.  Imagine how hard this would be without the internet and snark.

Next!

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 22

Thank you for starting this thread. 

We are going on walks every day.  People are respecting our desire to maintain a safe distance, but in a mutually friendly way.  Being physically active really helps keep me calm.

One thing I did was order a box of incense online.  Between that and candles, it seems to give me some comfort.  

We've done some stocking up.  It's been fun for me to go through all our old supplies and try to figure out what meals I can cobble together before they expire.

I've been cheered by the daffodils in my yard, and at some point I'm going out to divide them up and replant bunches around our property for even more cheeriness next year.

My daughter is on the other side of the United States and is working from home.  She is an incredibly social person and is feeling the strain.  Yesterday I ordered a gift basket for her, just to give her a little boost.  I picked up some cards and am planning to send cheer that old-fashioned way, just for something different.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 13

my coworker is coping:  she and her fiancé were supposed to get married next weekend, but our state shut down all manner of restaurants and bars, so that included reception facilities; their honeymoon cruise was already cancelled.  so on Monday, the venue gave them the option to reschedule or cancel with full refund.  the couple thought it over and elected to cancel; they had their marriage license and a sibling was going to officiate; so the new plan was to get married at home with a tiny family group in attendance.

coworker came in this morning to say she had a surprise waiting for her after work:  her fiancé called in the family and they got married yesterday evening.  the sisters wore their bridesmaid dresses, and coworker was able to wear her dress.  they ordered a sub platter for dinner and had a short visit with the family before everyone went home.  she is deliriously happy today.

they are going to use the refunded money to host a casual party in the summer and take a bigger trip after travel restrictions are lifted.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 26

For any parents out there with young kids at home, I’ve found Cosmic Kids Yoga to be a godsend.  It’s on YouTube and just perfect to keep little kids moving and entertained for a half hour anyways.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 7

My kids enjoyed Cosmic Kids Yoga YouTube video this morning. It is a great option for kids burning off energy and calming down when the weather is not appropriate for outside play. I would recommend making sure each kid has a blanket or towel and they are spaced far apart. She had them swinging their arms at point and doing all kinds of movements. It was a nice break for me and it was not just turning on the tv. My hyperactive four year old was laying in the floor when she told the kids to lay on the floor.

Edited to say I should have read the entire thread first. I see @treehugger discovered it too.

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 5

I'm a teacher and learning how to teach via distance learning is occupying my time. There were some schedules for kids floating around and I've sort of adapted them for myself.  Things I'm doing: work in the AM, walk outside daily, take dogs out, my gym is doing video workouts so I set up a space in the garage, crafts table, books, daily check ins with friends (I live alone). Hope to paint my living room next week. Oh and most importantly limiting my time watching the news and even being on devices (except for work). One more thing, I downloaded a meditation app this morning.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

We've been taking an online course of a sort.  My daughter is a teacher and continues her courses in online format next week.   She had us sign up on Zoom and has been checking out potential technical glitches (we are not very techie, so there are plenty of things to troubleshoot).  Next she tried showing us some things under a microscope--so interesting and pretty!!!  Lastly, she presented a few things via power point.  It's amazing to us how much can be done online.  Bonus--we get to spend time chatting and laughing with our daughter, and her cat is a teaching assistant, so we are entertained, even when we don't understand all the science she's highlighting. 

She's a little nervous, as her class is typically hands on in many respects.  Between being isolated and starting up a new way of teaching classes, we are glad we can touch base with her and soothe her apprehensions. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

If you are interested, Sanvello is offering free premium memberships for people struggling with anxiety due to global events. 

I’ve decided to impose a media ban for this weekend. A need a break from the bombardment. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I find it beneficial to have some sort of creative outlet. Personally, I enjoy knitting so that’s what I do. There are two projects waiting for me to finish them and I finally have time to do just that. For those of you who don’t knit, sewing, crocheting, drawing or painting might be fun. Or maybe you enjoy writing? Do whatever floats your boat! Now’s the time!! 

Also, depending on how much food you guys have at hand, cooking can be lovely. Sipping on a nice glass of wine while waiting for lunch or dinner to be done and/or trying out a new recipe might feel good. There’s no “I just came from a long workday outside and need a meal within 15 minutes”-rush. To me, chopping and stirring can be almost meditative.

Lastly, though I’m not Buddhist myself, I got to know about this album from a friend who is. The sung mantras are incredibly relaxing: 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

Thanks for starting this thread! I’m thankful for having this site to take my mind off things. @wallysmommy, I appreciate the work & snark that goes into your videos! ❤️

Things I’m grateful for include having electricity and clean tap water. I’m grateful to still be able to receive comfort items via Amazon. 

Most random think I’m thankful for was when a friend asked if I have enough cat litter to last a while. I was a bit on autopilot and I looked over, saw the 45lb box of litter and answered yes...only to double check and realize it was almost empty. Grateful to have more on the way! 

I’m currently housebound with my 100 year old relative and a cat and dog (who utterly detest each other). A couple days ago it hit me how thankful I am to be experiencing this with three others. Even as an introvert this would be so hard if  it were me without them!

Saw this this morning. It’s a feel-good article about people getting through this time. https://people.com/human-interest/positive-stories-from-coronavirus-crisis/

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

@Palimpsest could you share your bread recipe please?

I am working from home and I am grateful for that. I am a crafter so boredom is not a problem here. My coworkers have a group chat and we check in daily. 

We moved here last summer so this is a good time to get to the last of the boxes!

• Upvote 7

I was able to borrow equipment from my gym so now my "gym" (aka my garage)  is shaping up! Tomorrow I'm going to do a virtual Zumba class.

• Upvote 9

40 minutes ago, TeaGrannie said:

@Palimpsest could you share your bread recipe please?

Here you go.    The original recipe:  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

You don't have to use King Arthur flour.  You can vary it a lot with different flours (like whole wheat) and flavorings.  I like the Dutch oven method for extra crusty bread.  It helps if you have a dough scraper because it is a very wet dough, but a spatula should work as a substitute.

Also this site has a youtube link:  https://pinchofyum.com/no-knead-bread

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

What are your non-fj go-to website for distraction? Mine are Bored Panda and People. I try getting into Reddit but I get frustrated at the navigation. 

Edited by Giraffe
Riffle
  • Upvote 1

As some of you know, we've been clearing out my MIL's home for sale since she is now in an assisted living facility.  I noticed some large sheets of glass in her garage, and thought they would be useful for a greenhouse/gardening project for seedlings.  My daughter has had a community garden plot for several years, and it turns out she just received her annual seed order from rareseeds.com.  I went to the website, and it turns out everyone has the same idea.  The company has been overwhelmed with orders as people get their own pandemic gardens started.

Anyway, my daughter is sharing her seeds with me, and it really gave both our spirits a boost to talk about gardening and the potential for some fresh produce in a few months.  It's great to have another project to occupy my time.  I'll probably be pestering FJers for gardening advice.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

19 hours ago, Giraffe said:

What are your non-fj go-to website for distraction? Mine are Bored Panda and People. I try getting into Reddit but I get frustrated at the navigation. 

Mostly YouTube(I’ve been on a Forensic Files binge lately).

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

My isolation is just beginning and despite being a very social person (before all this, I was home roughly one night a week), I’m trying to remain calm and find the positive bits. 

I’m going to declutter my apartment and do a deep clean. I’m going to work on my novel and I’d like to be finished the first draft by July. And I’m debating about fostering a cat!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

24 minutes ago, viii said:

And I’m debating about fostering a cat!

Dooooo iiiiiiittttttt! 

(I realize it’s not to be entered into lightly but as an introvert with a low need for irl contact with people, it’s made a world of difference going through this with fuzzballs)

• Upvote 9

I’m seriously considering it. I’ve wanted a cat for a couple of years now but felt that I was too busy for one, plus I didn’t want my house destroyed by a kitten. 

I have let go of the notion of buying an expensive bred kitten and I’m debating about fostering a sweet 5+ year old girl who doesn’t do well with other animals or children. She’s been at the humane society for over a year and has a timid/shy personality. I feel like my quiet apartment would suit well with her. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 25

The local humane society here is trying to get as many of its residents adopted or fostered out as soon as possible.  I'm considering it even though the parental units might not like it all that much.  They're not allergic, they just don't like animals in the house all that much.  Of course I might go with the either we take a cat in or I'll lose my mind argument before too long with them.  I might see if there's an older one I can take in that's already trained.  My fur niece Maggie was 10 when my sister took her in and she gave my sister and brother in law nine years of joy, snuggles, and plotting world domination first with Morgan and then with Marvel Man.  

Also - sorry to burst anyones bubble - but this is not me working at home.  (Spoiler: NSFW)

Spoiler

WFH.thumb.png.edb5cb0b0ab282702b575d3c9b55fe3f.png

Nice thing about working from home is that I get to use my leather office chair which is so much more comfortable than my chair at work.  But if I were to do as Jake does here the entire back half of my body would be stuck to the chair after 15 minutes.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

I cope with regular doses of Randy Rainbow. Here's his latest.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

Today's coping strategy is apparently to eat too many cookies. Can't be perfect every day, lol.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

I found this (below) really useful reframing, as my anxiety disorder means that I have very robust catastrophic thinking skills. I hope it can help some of you cope better.

FB_IMG_1584900391583.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • Love 17

Quoting @Kailashfrom previous thread:

Some people may be padding their savings accounts during this time. But others are financially supporting people who don’t live with them. Possibly parents, children or even people not related to them. ❤️

Also, some of us may be still be receiving full paychecks only for now.

I'm actually getting some increased hours right now and I want to be generous to others. However, I also don't know how long this will last since I'm a contractor and the government could shut down. And even if it doesn't, at some point our work will greatly slow since we are not doing our normal inspections that fuel it and hours will then inevitably be cut. Oh, and we're in the middle of a recompete. And my manager sucks and we've basically organized a mutiny. Fun times. 

It's a negotiation between helping others but also putting some money aside for myself because I have absolutely no idea where things will be even two months from now. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

Im grateful that my coping skills benefit others. I have a panic disorder, for reference. For starters- I basically threw money I wouldn't have spent otherwise towards two of my small business owning friends. I have a random foster dog even though I live alone and love my perfectly clean apartment and like being able to do as a please. I have enough food to get through two weeks without visiting the grocery store.

I am really excited to see the effect social isolation and mass teleworking has on our environment. With all the bad that this is causing, the environmental impact is such a beautiful silver lining. 

I have a lot of work related stress occurring. I got a doctors note so that I could take unpaid leave and I know I pissed some people off. remembering the good is helping to not focus on the bad. 

• Upvote 10