IGNORED

Coping Strategies for Dealing with COVID-19

Palimpsest

In between bouts of fear and way more introspection than is healthy for me I am trying to mentally escape as much as I can.  

I’ve discovered Noel Fielding, fell in love, and binging anything he’s in makes me happy. 

He has this smile that radiates genuine joy and kindness...that’s really rare and it makes me smile along.

Im currently dealing with Comcast to correct an issue with my connection before tomorrow’s wfh begins.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I’ve decided this forced break from school and not being allowed in playgrounds or other public spaces is a good time to teach the kids some handicrafts.  We did cross stitching last week, and the two little looms I ordered last week are arriving today.  I can’t wait to teach them weaving!  
Also, I don’t know how it is elsewhere, but if you are in Canada, scholastic has free resources for kids with activities to do on school days.  We’ve been using it and it helps structure the mornings a bit.   I have been crocheting and have ordered entirely too many books. 
I've discovered having a strict routine for the day is really helping my anxiety, so that’s a priority for me.  To keep the day structured but fun.  It’s exhausting but worth it.  

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

Like everyone else, I'm trying to cope with the world wide crisis, but hmmm it isn't working ALL the time. It seems like I have ''fits'' of anxiety that come suddenly and then go.

The worst moments are when I start to think of my mother and step-dad. I even started to feel some tension point in my chest and back, which I'm almost certain it is from stress (I mean... like everyone else, when I feel something in my chest, I'm suddenly become paranoid but I know it is from anxiety).

I talked to my therapist through a video appointment and she was super nice. But I don't feel I'm able to do her coping strategies very well. She told me the ''live in the moment technique'' when I have a panic attack. It means to focus on my senses (like what I'm smelling, hearing, what I'm feeling through my body, etc.) but it is super hard. I have no control on my mind what so ever. Otherwise she told me to do things I love, like coloring, reading, etc. during the weekends. Which it is true, it does help.

I only would wish that my gallbladder problems will be taken care of. Because I love cooking, baking and such. I'd love to be able to prepare nice little dinners. My 0 fat diet is really preventing me from enjoying that part of me for now. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

I am really glad I found this thread. Today was the first time I have felt truly anxious about the Coronavirus.  I do have anxiety but had been managing fairly well. I think i was set off last night after reading someone’s FB comment, stating that he still went to church that day and the government wasn’t going to take away his right to gather... It is so upsetting. We all have people we are worried about. My daughter is an oncology nurse.  My niece is an ER nurse. Last night, I just kept connect this man to these young women in my life and making it so personal for myself It’s been really been hard for me to let go of this...anger?...at the people who aren’t taking it seriously.  

But. I am so thankful for so much. 
I am really thankful for our house. I love it so much. That says a lot because we just moved here a year and a half ago and I was very attached to the house we left. This is a nice little home to be cooped up in. 

I am so thankful for the technology that allows us to stay in touch with family. 

I am thankful for our freezer and pantry and that we have plenty. Tonight we fried hamburgers and ate them on bread, just like I would have as a child. So delicious and comforting.  

Our little town library had a book sale last month and I bought thirteen books for ten dollars. I have begun reading again and I love it.  When I am tired of that I have new markers to use in coloring books and some new paper to make some greeting card. Also, I had bought a new Yahtzee game at Christmas  time; we’ll get that out in the evenings. 

Our neighborhood has hung Easter eggs in the windows so the kids can hunt for them on their walks. Most of us just printed some off and colored them before taping them up. I set stuffed animals and rubber ducks on the sills, peeking out at the kids too. They seem to enjoy that. 

Edited by usmcmom
Typos and double post
  • Love 18

On 3/22/2020 at 1:14 PM, scoutsadie said:

I found this (below) really useful reframing, as my anxiety disorder means that I have very robust catastrophic thinking skills. I hope it can help some of you cope better.

FB_IMG_1584900391583.jpg

Just wanted to thank you for posting this.  I've come back to reread it more times than I care to admit.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

I’m taking a hacksaw to my FB friends list.  So far got about 30 people knocked off the list  

I blocked some Branch Trumpvidian family members last night after they used a very sexist slur against Speaker Pelosi.  I’m also muting lots of people for the duration of the crisis too. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 4

A friend of mine is organising a Zoom choral group, which we tested with 3 of us last night. So... does anyone have any idea how to get Zoom to let all of us "speak" at once? It was hilarious though, not least as I cannot remember lyrics for anything at the moment, including Away in A Manger. 

I also did a Zoom-based fitness class last night, which was also pretty funny. Especially the bit where we were all on the floor doing stuff and occasionally popping up into the zoom window like meerkats to see what we were supposed to be doing!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

And now I’m loosing my mind.  Trigger?  I was supposed to have a psychiatrist appointment today,  good thing I called my office voice mail to check because I had a message there from his office saying he’d be calling,  so I called them to have him call me at my cell.   Then after the appointment time came and went (he’s perpetually late) I called my voice mail again and yup he left a message at my work number that he would call me there and I call again and get told they’ll tell him.  Still nothing,  it may not be pretty by the t8 e I talk to someone about their fuck up tomorrow.  

• Sad 1
  • Love 6

Finally got the tushy put on the upstairs crapper today.  I think it works pretty well.  Venturing in to TMI territory here but yes I did test it out today.

TheCrapperWithTheTushy.jpg.dab22aa1e1ccb4bc4dd5f8bd42ebe797.jpg

Also did some cleaning in the upstairs water closet as well. 

• Upvote 6

18 hours ago, usmcmom said:

set stuffed animals and rubber ducks on the sills, peeking out at the kids too.

Thanks for the great idea! I saw a lot of rainbows today on my walk.

11 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I've come back to reread it more times than I care to admit.

I ended up taking a screenshot.  I think I need to print it up.

• Upvote 2

I think I'm going to start to journal about the experience. It may help me vent some anxiety, and maybe it will help my kids with a history project some day. 

Also I recommend checking out the YouTube channel for Jelle's Marble Runs! My kids are loving watching the races, the production values are really well done, and it's been fun to watch something sports like but not sporty at all. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Ticklish said:

I think I'm going to start to journal about the experience. It may help me vent some anxiety, and maybe it will help my kids with a history project some day. 

Also I recommend checking out the YouTube channel for Jelle's Marble Runs! My kids are loving watching the races, the production values are really well done, and it's been fun to watch something sports like but not sporty at all. 

I saw a historian on Twitter talk about how people should start keeping a (preferably paper) journal during this pandemic to talk about what you and your neighbors are doing and feeling and thinking. We're living through a world changing event right now, and hopefully there will be people in the future who appreciate having a primary source of a person who lived through it in your community. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I'd vote for him.  He inspires confidence.  The moron at the white house - not so much.  The moron in charge for Missouri - not so much.

• Upvote 7

We are fortunate that my partner and I are both retired and healthy so far. We are used to being home together. He has his office / media room and I have my office / sewing room. I am very introverted and my partner tends towards introversion so that helps as well.

His family is large (NOT quiverfull!) and most of his siblings enjoy playing games. They are getting together frequently to play Online Dominion which is the online version of one of the favorite family board games. They are using a conferencing system so they can talk as they play. Since the weather is starting to warm up here in Colorado, he is taking long walks around the neighborhood when he can.

https://dominion.games/index.html

I have ALL the paper craft and art supplies: more than I can use for the rest of my life. I am taking an online course from a well-known mixed media artist / crafter named Julie Balzer making a small artist journal. She has a messy / expressive style that doesn't trigger my perfectionism, so it is a good fit for me.

I've been doing some online fitness and yoga videos, both from Silver Sneakers and Yoga with Adrienne. 

Today I am meeting a friend at a local park to see if we can safely walk our (leashed) dogs there.  This is a park that is traditionally fairly empty during work days, but Rufus knows what it will be like now. Colorado is full of fresh air fanatics who will go insane if they have to stay inside too much.

I am trying to limit my news exposure to what I can follow without verging on the edge of a panic attack. I am also watching craft videos in the evening while I play my favorite phone games. If I am careful about limiting my news exposure, I can sleep fairly well at night.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Still trying to get in touch with my mental health professional's office.  Because them now answering phones right now is so helpful. 

• Love 6

I talked to my therapist through a video appointment and she was super nice. But I don't feel I'm able to do her coping strategies very well. She told me the ''live in the moment technique'' when I have a panic attack. It means to focus on my senses (like what I'm smelling, hearing, what I'm feeling through my body, etc.) but it is super hard. I have no control on my mind what so ever.

Have you tried strong sensoric sensations to get out of your panic attacks? I love putting pepper on my tongue, it usually helps very well. I‘ve also tried hot sauce, eating bell peppers, putting an ice pad on my face or having a cold shower.

For me it’s been a weird adjustment. I returned from Central America ten days ago to a world that’s upside down. My boyfriend is now basically living with me, which is great in times of social isolation but on the other side I‘m not used to sharing my space anymore.
BUT I’ve been incredibly lucky: I‘m working for the government so I don‘t have to worry about getting paid for now. I can work from home. My high risk mom is in our vacation home on the countryside with a hospital nearby. My dad and sister finally realized the situation is severe and they follow the recommendations. I have a wonderful partner. Our hospitals aren’t overwhelmed yet. I still have my regular therapist sessions. I’m healthy and before the shit hit the fan I travelled the wonderful countries of Central America for over 6 weeks. We weren’t affected yet by the pandemic and I got one of the last regular flights out bevor the airlines started cancelling their connections.
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

My heart just melted.

(translation: Keep washing those hands, people!)

• Love 14

I've been working on projects, and watching a lot of things on Youtube. Also keeping in touch with people through social media, including people from work. I also go for daily walks or bike rides through the neighborhood and support local restaurants by getting takeout for at least one meal a day. While doing some grocery shopping, I decided to get a picture of a local tire store's sign as they're known for funny signs.90797714_2966334400054946_5339501645875118080_n.thumb.jpg.905f3ff34714cee1391a86b9da81049a.jpg

• Haha 16

I need to bake something.  

I recently watched the Great British Bakeoff comic relief and saw the most fabulous bakewell tart.  Way too ambitious for me atm (or ever) so brownies with cream cheese frosting it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

7 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I need to bake something.  

I recently watched the Great British Bakeoff comic relief and saw the most fabulous bakewell tart.  Way too ambitious for me atm (or ever) so brownies with cream cheese frosting it is.

Give it time. I also feel it’s too ambitious for me now, but we are only 2 days into a 30 day stay at home order so I’m not ruling it out yet. ?

I actually have all the ingredients for this one: https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/recipes/all/mary-berry-bakewell-tart/

Except caster sugar. I thought that was regular sugar but it’s not. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, Kailash said:

Give it time. I also feel it’s too ambitious for me now, but we are only 2 days into a 30 day stay at home order so I’m not ruling it out yet. ?

I actually have all the ingredients for this one: https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/recipes/all/mary-berry-bakewell-tart/

That's the exact one.  I have everything except the ground almonds.  And jam sugar.  What is jam sugar and how is that different than regular sugar.

I think the British to American translation means castor sugar = granulated sugar and icing sugar = powdered or confectioners sugar.

• Upvote 1

I looked it up and caster sugar seems to be a super fine sugar. But there are work arounds. I just have almond slices but figure I can put them in the food processor to make ground almonds.

Oh, jam sugar is gelling sugar in the US. I don’t have that. It’s sugar with pectin added.

Edited by Kailash
Adding
  • Thank You 1

I'm cooking a pot of split pea soup, with carrots, onions, and garlic.  I'll be adding pasta near the end.  Good news is it'll be yummy, filling, has a fair amount of protein, and there'll be enough to last for days.  Bad news is there's now enough empty space in my refrigerator (I haven't shopped in over 2 weeks) to easily hold the leftovers.  Haven't had it in awhile and am really looking forward to it.

• Upvote 6