IGNORED

Coping Strategies for Dealing with COVID-19

Palimpsest

11 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

Blokus (I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!)

Well, OK, if you are going to use caps to show your love, I guess I’ll have to order this one first, lol.   By the time this pandemic runs its course, I’ll likely have collected all of the games listed in all the posts everywhere!  Thanks, all!

@Thoughtful, your game is perfect for the next time my sister stops by.  We have been looking for something like this.  Thank you!

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

@Thoughtful, your game is perfect for the next time my sister stops by.  We have been looking for something like this.  Thank you!

You're welcome!

I forgot to mention - you can also make the alphabet the last initials, rather than the first. Another variation is to play the game with only the names of fictional characters.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

Any tips on how to survive the coming winter with cold temps? I'm dreading it for so many reasons but mostly that I won't be able to meet friends and have a life outside. I feel like I'm gonna be caged inside for 6 months without the nice things winter has to offer, like christmas markets, the big family gathering on christmas, skiing and snow shoeing trips and my annual vacation in a warmer country.
I already looked for language or meditation classes (I want to learn arabic!) online, but they're doing everything on site again. Maybe this is the thing that bothers me the most: The gap between me and others who are likeminded, that want to protect themselves and all the others who go on with life as if there wasn't a pandemic. Lots of my friends don't get that I'm only meeting them outside. Maybe I'm overreacting but the virus scares me. /sorry for the rant.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 14

Apologies in advance if this is long, but I need to rant and get all this off my chest. My mother, who is 60 and has been following precautions, wears her masks, uses hand sanitizer when out in public, etc., but lives alone and has been very bored/lonely (which I understand!) invited me to an antique festival with her over the weekend. My state has been doing VERY well numbers wise - we shut down early, have a mask mandate, etc. etc., but we still have a lot of guidelines in place and I've still only been doing essential shopping and socially distanced outings (hikes, park with my dog, etc.). I also have to go to work 2-3 days a week and am remote the other days. I checked the website for the event and all it said was "masks required"- no note on capacity, etc. It's an event that attracts vendors and patrons from out of state- we have quarantine guidelines in place of folks coming from out of state (if they are in a red or yellow county based on infection numbers). We also have a lot of people in state who don't wear masks even with the mandate.

I told her that I was uncomfortable attending an event with no strict guidelines posted that would likely have people from out of state in attendance. She told me that she was already planning to go whether I went with her or not and that she was worried "about you not going out. I think your social anxiety is morphing into agoraphobia.". Ummmm, EXCUSE ME? First, you're not a therapist or a licensed medical professional. Second, I'm sorry that I'm staying home and being cautious? Which, oh by the way, is exactly what everyone in my social circle is doing as well. Third, I DO LEAVE MY HOUSE. I go grocery shopping, to the pharmacy, to work....I'm just not gallivanting across the countryside and going to stores/places that I don't need to go to. Sheesh.

I have an idea of why she's not taking it as seriously as I am and why she feels comfortable doing things that I don't, but the fact that she brushed aside my feelings so easily and then tried to armchair diagnose me is just so frustrating. So that's where I'm at right now.

19 minutes ago, Smash! said:

The gap between me and others who are likeminded, that want to protect themselves and all the others who go on with life as if there wasn't a pandemic. Lots of my friends don't get that I'm only meeting them outside. Maybe I'm overreacting but the virus scares me.

I'm totally with you (see above). It's super difficult and frustrating, but ultimately you need to do what you're comfortable with. As for winter- I also live somewhere that gets quite cold and snowy. Do you like arts and crafts? I've followed a few Bob Ross tutorials and find them very soothing, even when I totally screw up :) I just use regular acrylic paint that comes in the plastic squeeze bottles and just use colors I like and are similar to his- I don't have fancy brushes or paints, etc. It's still fun! Also, acrylic pouring is super messy but also a lot of fun!

• Love 9

21 minutes ago, therulesofjinx said:

Do you like arts and crafts? I've followed a few Bob Ross tutorials and find them very soothing, even when I totally screw up :) I just use regular acrylic paint that comes in the plastic squeeze bottles and just use colors I like and are similar to his- I don't have fancy brushes or paints, etc. It's still fun! Also, acrylic pouring is super messy but also a lot of fun!

This sounds like fun :) Unfortunately I'm not that much into crafting. I'll probably sort my pictures on the hard drive, finally get my driving licence (I already sent an email to several driving instructors regarding precautions of Covid-19), get better at cooking and try to work out more. I also looked for Arabic classes but the company I wanted to try doesn't require masks indoors, so no classes there.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Smash! said:

get better at cooking and try to work out more

I need to do these as well :)

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

Do you like arts and crafts? I've followed a few Bob Ross tutorials and find them very soothing, even when I totally screw up :) I just use regular acrylic paint that comes in the plastic squeeze bottles and just use colors I like and are similar to his- I don't have fancy brushes or paints, etc. It's still fun!

I haven't tried the Bob Ross method, but I do find painting very soothing.  A couple years ago, I painted up a storm (mostly abstract sci-fi landscapes and starscapes).  When I was first learning how to mix colors (acrylic), I used a lot of painters tape and made a couple of quilt paintings.  I love quilts, but don't have the patience or eyesight to sew them, so this is my tribute to some of my favorite designs.  They look better in person than in the photo, and they still make me happy after several years.

Spoiler

Quilt_paintings.thumb.jpg.5c2f632869f37da14ff84dad92030493.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 10

13 hours ago, Smash! said:

Any tips on how to survive the coming winter with cold temps?

Having just been through winter in mostly stage 4 lock down (only 4 reasons to leave the house (medical, grocery shopping (1 person per household per day), exercise (1hr per day), work (if in a permitted occupation), 8pm curfew, travel only within a 5km radius of home (permitted workers needed a permit to show they were working)) - try to get at least that 1 hour exercise outside each day, even if it's terrible weather.  Learning new things is good. There are a lot of different online travel/social things (e.g. museum tours), look into what interests you. Meet up with friends, even if it's online only. It's not the same but group hangouts can be really helpful. Online fitness can be a blast, not least when people freeze in place or are leapt on by small children or pets.

Some days will suck because it's cold and dark and crappy. Netflix/streaming can be very helpful just because there is so much choice. You can watch mindlessly, or get deeply into documentaries or scared out of your mind, whatever works best. I watched a movie with friends virtually (we all watched the movie at home and group messaged.) Hopefully there will be online events and stuff going on. The Fri night trivia nights have kept me going for two weeks. 

I also got into electronic borrowing from my library, and read two YA series, and most of an adult series (no idea why books 1-8 and book 10 are available but not 9... weird.) 

No idea if any of that is helpful, but the main thing I would say is try and keep contact with friends, even if it's entirely online for a bit. In person is better if you can do it!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

If you would consider trying an online resource, I believe that Duolingo has Arabic. I'm not sure how much they have- I'm refreshing my college Spanish from 25 years ago as well as messing around with German.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Thank you so much everyone! I'm feeling much better today.

@Ozlsn I haven't thought about museum tours! Oh and this is the opportunity to get Netflix (and a VPN tool as well). The problem here is, that lots of people go on with their normal life and don't understand why I want to meet online or solely go on a walk outside. This creates a big gap because lots of my friends think I'm overreacting and I have to accept that their opinion is different. As for zoom classes I haven't found any. There are so called live classes with live videos and an instructor but you don't see the other participants online.  I'll probably have a look at other countries like the UK.

@Audrey2 I just downloaded Duolingo. My Arabic is very very basic so that seems to be a good source. If you need help practicing German shoot me a message!

• Upvote 3

I find running to be great, even with bad weather. I have had great runs in snow and rain, and I always feel great after a run. Once I was running up a small mountain  with my mom and it started to hail so hard it hurt! My mom suggested stopping or going down, I said no! Let's run faster and leave the hail behind! We had a great time that day. I remember it fondly. You do need proper clothes but I never let bad weather to stop me from going running.  I hope this helps.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Duggarite said:

I find running to be great, even with bad weather. I have had great runs in snow and rain, and I always feel great after a run. Once I was running up a small mountain  with my mom and it started to hail so hard it hurt! My mom suggested stopping or going down, I said no! Let's run faster and leave the hail behind! We had a great time that day. I remember it fondly. You do need proper clothes but I never let bad weather to stop me from going running.  I hope this helps.

You are a braver soul than I. I run if:

1. Someone is chasing me with the intent to do bodily harm.

2. There is a bus I really need to be on that is about ready to leave. (I've even done this run in heels)

3. I'm on a hill of obsidian, a thunderstorm has started, and it's lightning. I never knew that I could run so fast! (Newberry National Volcanic Monument)

Edited by Audrey2
  • Haha 14

In a few other threads, I had seen references to King Arthur flour, so thought I’d check out the website (https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/).

What a fantastic website for bread recipes!  I like how it’s organized and has lots of tips for home bakers.  Very user friendly.

Here is my version of pane [pandemic] bianco.  The garlic smell took over the whole house.  Yum!

Spoiler

D24E3E48-74A4-4BFF-B71F-AF6F686980CB.thumb.jpeg.e452cacaecea7b027ab53826ac6455a1.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

It's kind of odd, but since I took the car in for a check up when the warning light came on, I've developed a new acceptance of the presence of COVID-19.  It's like I now feel it's OK to be standing on dots most places I go and the nervousness that was there about going out is gone.  I think my brain has shifted to adapting to this as normal now.  That doesn't mean I'll be running out for unnecessary trips, but I guess it's accepting life as it and that doing relatively normal things isn't guaranteed to get me sick.

• Upvote 12

I was listening to the oh no! Ross and Carrie podcast the other day, and they were musing on when masks will start showing up as part of daily life in tv and movies. And it's an interesting question, because here at least with the mandate they have become normalised very quickly.  This has not stopped me walking out the door, getting halfway down the driveway, swearing, and going back in to grab one at least once a week though!!

• Upvote 5

On 9/14/2020 at 1:56 PM, usmcmom said:

Sequence

We've been enjoying Blokus and gin rummy, so for our next game I am ordering Sequence.  Thanks, again, to all who gave suggestions.  It's nice to take a break from the TV and laptops to sit around the dining table and do something a little different.

We were able to glean a sack of apples from a friend's property, so yesterday I made a batch of chunky applesauce in the crock pot.  I love the smell of apples and cinnamon in the house!

• Upvote 2

We walked around downtown today because I wanted to see how the small downtown core businesses were doing.  I was pleasantly surprised that it isn’t yet a ghost town, though it’s sad some of the bars (our pool hall, sob) are closed, and the theaters.  I needed retail therapy, so went into a store that mixes fragrances while you wait.  We were the only customers, but they said the mail order side of the business is perking along and keeping them very busy.

Several of the open businesses had gates across the entry with signs saying, “Please wait to be invited inside.  Bring your mask and your patience.”  They seemed to have customers.  

It was good for my spirits to get out.  Most people wore masks and were very courteous and friendly in a socially distanced way. 

• Upvote 5

On 10/5/2020 at 2:02 PM, CTRLZero said:

We've been enjoying Blokus

Oh, good, I'm glad you like it!

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another vote for getting some exercise outdoors, if you can.  Mr. Becky and I dragged out our old bicycles back in April.  We began by cycling around the outside of our local mall (it was closed, no traffic at all) once or twice, got winded and sore but kept at it.  We are now up to 10-20 mile rides on recreation trails. 

Our bikes are not fancy, we got them at a yard sale for about $20 each some years ago.  Only about half the gears work, and we had to replace tires that had rotted, but I cannot tell you how important our bike rides have become.  In the house, we become tired, grouchy, anxious, and argumentative from too much together time in quarantine.  When we get out on our bikes, it is a complete mood reset - we are happy with each other again, and happy with life.

Can you tell we had a nice ride today?  The autumn leaves are at peak color in our area, and the temps were mild.  It was a perfect riding day.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

I am so, so tired of feeling like the little Dutch boy, but with people driving shovels into the dike to either side of me.

Go to the store, so many people with their noses out. Go to the farmstand, people walk up to it with no masks. Go to work, have to remind an adult three times to keep his nose covered while he's in the building. And all the while cases in my area are back to June levels and still climbing. Because of this

I don't even want to talk to my brother anymore. The rest of the extended family roll their eyes when we insist on wearing masks if we're inside with them, but they do it, and they wear masks when they're out (and huffed in sympathetic annoyance when I mentioned people at the store not wearing them properly). Him, though? He's said he doesn't wear it over his nose, and earlier this week told me that if he were confirmed as exposed he wouldn't quarantine unless he were paid to. Which just... I really hate feeling like my brother isn't a good person, but I can't stop coming to that conclusion.

This thread is actually reassuring, because it means there are people who are doing their damnedest to protect others despite the rest of the world.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

Baking brownies with extra chocolate and coconut, because I need a treat.

I’ve been painting Halloween pictures.  We don’t really expect trick or treaters, but plan to buy a couple bags of our favorite candy in case anyone does wander by.  We’ll toss or lower the treats from our second floor window.

On our walk yesterday, we stopped at a fruit and vegetable stand.  They had a collection jar so if people stopped by who needed some fresh produce but couldn’t afford it, they would cover the cost.  Lots of tents pitched in the bushes nearby.  We’ve committed to contribute monthly to our local food bank, and we were happy to donate our change so people who need an apple or banana can pick one up. 

Being retired, we feel fortunate and are looking at ways to help others as we are able.  It’s definitely a way to cope.  I hope everyone else is hanging in there.  ❤️

• Upvote 2
  • Love 8

I'm putting out a table with Halloween treats in paper bags. Our complex is having it for only our residents.  Usually a lot of the town comes here and I get 200+ items. I usually hand out chips because when I have candy I do too many quality control checks lol.

• Upvote 3

I need to find out if my complex is doing trick-or-treating this year.  By the time I got the notice last year, my supermarket’s candy section was pretty much picked over.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I'm putting out a table with Halloween treats in paper bags. Our complex is having it for only our residents.  Usually a lot of the town comes here and I get 200+ items. I usually hand out chips because when I have candy I do too many quality control checks lol.

I am doing something similar. I am using small ziplock bags (I call them jewelry bags because I find them in the jewelry/craft section at Walmart) and putting a few pieces of candy in each. I am going to lay them on a table in rows. The table will be at the end of our driveway and we’ll sit ten feet away to make sure it stays stocked. 

I am decorating my table and went a little crazy with the decor from Amazon. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1