IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

No way in hell will she go back to homeschooling once she experiences the sweet freedom of having her days to herself. Yes, she'll have Sam at first, but one child is so easy compare to two. And in a couple of years he'll start kindergarten too.

sweet freedom to herself - this is a woman who was ingrained to be a stay at home mother and entertain her future kids. 

just remember the episodes of her cleaning the stairs in the mcmansion before she was pregnant. 

endless viewing pleasure. 

1 hour ago, Silas said:

What happens when Izzy learns in science class how old the earth is and rushes home to share with mom? Has Derick already broke the news to her? Does Jill believe him or does she, deep down, believe her parents? Oh to be a fly on the wall of The Dillard home when topics like this start arising. 

Just because Derick went to public school doesn’t mean he automatically believes in evolution. He could believe that it’s a theory that’s not true. I was taken aback just in the last few years when a met some Lutherans that were creationists. As a Catholic, I always thought that Catholics and Lutherans had some theological differences, but I didn’t know that evolution was one of them.

• Upvote 15

5 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Just because Derick went to public school doesn’t mean he automatically believes in evolution. He could believe that it’s a theory that’s not true. I was taken aback just in the last few years when a met some Lutherans that were creationists. As a Catholic, I always thought that Catholics and Lutherans had some theological differences, but I didn’t know that evolution was one of them.

We’re they Missouri synods? They tend to be insane in their beliefs. ELCA is far more liberal, and there are variations, as always. People can be crazy with or without religious beliefs.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

They may be trying it out. Jill had a very sheltered childhood and was home schooled her whole life. Sending her kid off to school is something, she probably, never thought she would be doing. Derrick may have thought otherwise, but Jill probably pictured herself as a homeschooling stay at home mom with her kids. She may be having nerves sending her son off to school considering she was raised to believe that public schools are evil in her sheltered life.

Plus she and Derrick are celebrities, so to say. So, she may be concerned about him being bullied in school for them on TV, albeit in the past, and past social media posts from Derrick that are homophobic and trans phobic.

I live in an upper middle class area with an abundance of stay at home moms. Not fundie or fundie light, just a very large proportion of SAHMs, with lots of family nearby. They get the vapors about sending their child to HALF-day kindergarten, frequently red-shirt their kids, and can’t imagine why ANYONE would want to send their “babies” away for even two and a half hours a day. I’m not sure it has to do with fundie-ism as much as a SAHM culture.

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 4

10 hours ago, HereComesTreble said:

YES!!!  I love my kids so so so much—more than anything in the world.  

But that feeling after I drop them off at school, those precious 15 minutes before my day starts; I feel like I’m on vacation.  And I’m like, “it’s free!  They watch my kids for free from 8-3, 5 days a week!”—how did I get so lucky!?!?

They are doing so much more than “watching” your kids. 

I swear to God, parents should all have to sub in a primary room for a day so they would consider us more than babysitters.  ?

• Upvote 21
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

@louisa05, teachers are one of the most valuable assets to a society.  I have such respect for them.  And every week, when my two kids go to school I am overwhelmed with gratitude to live in a country where my children are instructed by compassionate, intelligent people every single day for 7 hours at no cost to myself.  It is a staggering privilege and one I am so thankful for. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 9

@louisa05 Bless you! My GD is in kindergarten. She attends an American school for foreign based American workers in So. America. Since this is an International school, they accept that kids will miss school from time to time. Anyhow, we were visiting after the holidays, so our GD missed a week of school to stay with us and visit. My daughter is employed on this same campus, but at the HS level, and was away during the day. I agreed to complete the daily school work with my GD, as a compromise to her staying at home. I kid, 5 years old, perfectly capable...Oh holy h*ll. I can’t imagine a class full of them, especially when you factor in various needs.

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, HereComesTreble said:

YES!!!  I love my kids so so so much—more than anything in the world.  

But that feeling after I drop them off at school, those precious 15 minutes before my day starts; I feel like I’m on vacation.  And I’m like, “it’s free!  They watch my kids for free from 8-3, 5 days a week!”—how did I get so lucky!?!?

Seriously? Public school teachers are not there to babysit your kids, they are there to educate them. This "they watch my kids for free" mindset is one of the reasons people, who otherwise would support public education, keep their kids at home. They don't want their kids' educations interrupted by the shenanigans of classmates whose parents view school as nothing more than day care.

• Upvote 8
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 6
  • Love 2

It’s true that public school doesn’t automatically mean the kids will pick up any liberal beliefs, but they should learn how to write a proper sentence and interact with people outside of their family circle. That’s a big deal for a kid who would otherwise only interact with cousins and likeminded family friends. This is still Arkansas, the teachers and other students/families likely still lean conservative but they’ll at least know that their family isn’t the end all be all. 

• Upvote 26
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, monkeyrocks71 said:

I live in an upper middle class area with an abundance of stay at home moms. Not fundie or fundie light, just a very large proportion of SAHMs, with lots of family nearby. They get the vapors about sending their child to HALF-day kindergarten, frequently red-shirt their kids, and can’t imagine why ANYONE would want to send their “babies” away for even two and a half hours a day. I’m not sure it has to do with fundie-ism as much as a SAHM culture.

Yeah, I can see what you are saying. But remember Jill was raised to believe her only purpose was to be a stay at home mom who home schooled her children in order to protect them from the "evils of the outside world." The thought of sending her kids off to school even for half day kindergarten, probably, never crossed her mind until recently. Jill, unlike Derrick, didn't attend school until she started midwifery school. Even then, she was on a leash with her husband and family. 

I don't think it has to do with fundie culture as much as it has to do with Gothardism. Most of the fundies who are talked about on threads like the Duggars, Bates, Rodrigues, Kellers, and Wallers all home school because of they don't want them learning the truth. Bill Gothard encouraged home schooling through IBLP cult and several fundie families fell for it. Several of the, now home schooling families, did go to a school. So, it may be just those that insisted on the Gothard way for so long. Jill as an adult may be seeing cracks in the system Gothard had set up.

• Upvote 3

This is a HUGE step for Jill, regardless of how conservative this public school may be. Izzy (and hopefully Sam in a few years) will be so much better off than his Duggar aunts, uncles, and cousins. I keep thinking of James at age 12-13, who still didn't know the multiplication tables. (Didn't Derick try to teach them to him? Maybe that shattered whatever illusions Derick might have had about Gothard style homeschooling.)

One thing that struck me about Jill, even when she was young and brainwashed, was that she genuinely seemed to like and care about people in general. I don't think she fully bought into the "everyone outside of our cult is evil and you should be afraid of them" mindset. I wonder how much contact she is allowed to have with the members of her former Duggar buddy team, especially Jennifer. Jill could be such a positive influence on Jenni now, but I'm sure Jim Bob won't allow it.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Yeah, I can see what you are saying. But remember Jill was raised to believe her only purpose was to be a stay at home mom who home schooled her children in order to protect them from the "evils of the outside world." The thought of sending her kids off to school even for half day kindergarten, probably, never crossed her mind until recently. Jill, unlike Derrick, didn't attend school until she started midwifery school. Even then, she was on a leash with her husband and family. 

I don't think it has to do with fundie culture as much as it has to do with Gothardism. Most of the fundies who are talked about on threads like the Duggars, Bates, Rodrigues, Kellers, and Wallers all home school because of they don't want them learning the truth. Bill Gothard encouraged home schooling through IBLP cult and several fundie families fell for it. Several of the, now home schooling families, did go to a school. So, it may be just those that insisted on the Gothard way for so long. Jill as an adult may be seeing cracks in the system Gothard had set up.

Did Jill physically attend MW training, or did she learn online and have an in-person internship with the woman who had her license revoked by the state of Arkansas? I know that Jana, in the guise of doula training, had to accompany Jill during her internship days.

• Upvote 2

Everyone should send their kids where they feel they will thrive best, and I really have no issue with home school in and of itself - but I am thrilled for them because this constitutes A Choice that they made for themselves, and I know we were worried that they couldn't. And if other family is cool with it also, more power to them all! And most families would be supportive even if it's not something they'd choose for themselves. This is great.

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Did Jill physically attend MW training, or did she learn online and have an in-person internship with the woman who had her license revoked by the state of Arkansas? I know that Jana, in the guise of doula training, had to accompany Jill during her internship days.

Honestly, I thought she went to classes. I really didn’t think about her not going to classes until now.

• I Agree 1

Maybe Jill realizes that had dad's "umbrella of protection" did nothing to protect her or her sisters.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

On 2/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, Giraffe said:

I’m expecting Joy and Austin will send their son to public school, too. I could be wrong, but I believe she was the first to publicly say they were intentionally holding off becoming pregnant (after Annabell’s death). With the influence of Amy and now Jill sending her kids to PS, I see Joy following suit. 

Where did she say this?

• I Agree 1

11 hours ago, Notchmom said:

Seriously? Public school teachers are not there to babysit your kids, they are there to educate them. This "they watch my kids for free" mindset is one of the reasons people, who otherwise would support public education, keep their kids at home. They don't want their kids' educations interrupted by the shenanigans of classmates whose parents view school as nothing more than day care.

No.  As per what I quoted, I was responding to someone’s comment about how Jill will enjoy sending her kids to public school so much, that she’ll likely not switch to homeschooling.

And yes, I ain’t apologizing for nothing.  I love the time my kids are at school.  I bust my ass being a hard worker and a great parent.  I also volunteer at my kids’ school like a champ.  I am going to enjoy the time my kids’ are safe and well taken care of at school.  

If you have a problem with that, you just want to have a problem with something.

• Upvote 34

On 2/24/2020 at 4:38 AM, AreYouThereGothard? said:

I think it's hard to say when Jill will realize when her kids will have learned more than she did because, from my observations, kids are learning more and more at younger ages and so much information has changed. When I was a kid (elementary in the 90s), there were 5 biological kingdoms, vs the 2 or 3 my parents learned about and I think they've added one since my schools days (Counting On: Biological Kingdoms). Pluto was also a planet. Kids are learning languages in some school districts earlier than high school. I think I would have trouble helping kids with homework simply because I don't remember everything I learned. My guess is Jill will be bested by middle school

Yep. My eldest is eight and last year started coming home with bits of knowledge I don’t have. Facts (he told me all about the varroa destructor) are one thing but it’s the skills (e.g. coding) that really make me go “woah is this really how early on my kids are going to start overtaking me?” I’m doing a PhD so it’s not like Jill’s situation where I literally have to face the inferiority of my own education, but it does reiterate to me that my expertise is in one or two areas whereas at school they meet a whole variety of teachers with all kinds of knowledge. They’re going to be exposed to a broad range of things and one day probably pick careers that take them in different directions til they’re experts in a different field that I know little about. And so they should. They’re unique people with unique interests and I can’t limit them to learning the things that interest me. Kudos to Jill for giving her boys the opportunity to learn the things THEY might need or want to know.

Also, I’m thinking of this moment last year when my daughter complained about something and in exasperation I said “oh A, it’s not the end of the world”. My son, who was like in grade 2, piped up “yeah, the end of the world will be when the sun turns into a red giant and eats the earth” and it is so much funnier to imagine Israel saying something like that and JB’s head exploding. “No!! It’s when Jesus comes back!!!”

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, louisa05 said:

They are doing so much more than “watching” your kids. 

I swear to God, parents should all have to sub in a primary room for a day so they would consider us more than babysitters.  ?

Did my post say anything about considering teachers babysitters?    No.  Reading comprehension, much?  

Nothing about what I said means that I don’t adore and respect my kids’ teachers and school staff.

I also treasure my small amount of chill time my kids while they are at school, before I get to work.  

• Upvote 17

9 hours ago, purple_summer said:

It’s true that public school doesn’t automatically mean the kids will pick up any liberal beliefs, but they should learn how to write a proper sentence and interact with people outside of their family circle. That’s a big deal for a kid who would otherwise only interact with cousins and likeminded family friends. This is still Arkansas, the teachers and other students/families likely still lean conservative but they’ll at least know that their family isn’t the end all be all. 

Exactly. It’s also why Jinger and Jeremy , other than sheer pretentiousness, are more likely to send their children to a fancy private Christian school. 
The curriculum in Arkansas Schools, reflects the communities, which clearly are on the conservative side. California school curriculum is not that.

Israel will hopefully receive a great education and make lots of friends and expand his world view. They seem like a family who will really benefit from the increased opportunities. They look so happy and proud in the video! 

• Upvote 9

On the teacher meet & greet days, I used to introduce myself to the teachers and apologize in advance for them having to attempt to educate my kids and keep them from killing themselves. Yes, I liked when they were someone else's problem for 6-7 hours a day. What I DID NOT LIKE was the teachers telling me to "instill the importance of education" in my children. There's a helluva lot more to education than sitting in a classroom. If the teachers could not entice my children in the classroom, that was totally not my problem. I had many go-rounds with teachers and administrators over this. Kids would ace the standardized tests but be flunking the classroom. 

I have friends who are teachers and my MIL is a retired teacher...most of them are looking for a way out of education. My SIL is finishing a Master's in something so he can also avoid attempting to teach algebra to a bunch of kids who don't give a shit. 

In my youngest's high school, I doubt there was any serious learning going on, it was more like being a zookeeper and practicing crowd control. He dropped out 1/2 way through 10th grade. None of them graduated from HS, yet they've all excelled in college. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 3

I saw the news on Instagram....and I'm here for it! I'm not shocked, because I honestly just felt like it was only a matter or time - but I am shocked because they did it so early. Also because even though I *thought* they would eventually do it, I also know that's a HUGE step for Jill. I'm giving her virtual high-five's. There's no doubt about it, they ARE changing their views on things regardless of what anyone thinks. I've felt from the beginning that JILL choosing to wear pants was a big step, even if others thought it was nothing. Maybe for other fundie families it's not a big deal but Jilly muffin was the prize pig in that family. It was a big f-u to JBob. Are they likely always going to be conservative Christians? Probably. But at least they're making decisions for themselves and for one I'm proud of Jill that she's bucking the oppression she grew up with. Those boys are at least going to have a fighting chance of experiencing things outside their bubble. 

Even though Jill thought she had experience in the world, via TLC and their travels, she's likely learning the harsh reality of just how oppressed her life was. All the things she actually doesn't know. As bad as getting ostracized from you family is, it was the best thing that could have ever happened to her. 

Derek might be an ass, but he's not stupid. He went to public school, went to college, is continuing to seek higher education. He didn't grow up Fundie, just super conservative Christian. I think it's important to remember that it's not uncommon for people who experience loss or a traumatic event to double down and start searching for something. He was in college when his dad died, and I bet he turned to faith and when that happened he found the Duggars. The allure of this big, close-knit family, held together by a doting dad and all these pretty daughters? He probably thought he'd hit the Christian wife jackpot - and they were likely the answer to what he'd been searching for.

But at the end of the day, once the grief quits swallowing you up, you start to come back to your senses. 

Those first couple of years with Jill were fun and new with rose colored glasses, adding a kid to the mix gave them something new to focus their attention on. But the longer he's with her I'm sure the more the flaws of her upbringing started to show through.  The more he realizes just how much her dad controlled, just how much education she lacks, etc. Also he's used to making his decisions and being out in the real world and we all know JBob isn't having any of that. 

• Upvote 27

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic