IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

I slow clapped to the air this morning when I saw this. I really hope none of the Duggar grandkids ever have to see a Wisdom Booklet from the IBLP or such nonesense in thier academic lives... whether they're homeschooled or not. 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

51 minutes ago, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

This shocked me when I read about it. When I first watched 19KAC I thought Jill would be the one most likely to have a million kids, homeschool them and become super fundie. She has proved a lot of us wrong. I look forward to seeing what else will change. 

I think Jinger will send Felicity to school and I can't see Joy homeschooling either. 

Sometimes those who seem the most into something are the best chances to change their mind.  Typically when someone is that fully bought in it means they truly value something being 'true' or 'correct' or 'sincere' in their beliefs.  You just need to give them a chance to question some of these beliefs and then because they hold so strongly to the notion of being sincere and honest in their beliefs, they are most open to changing.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, indianabones said:

I'm sure Israel being friends with another little boy starting kindergarten didn't hurt at all either!

That is always helpful!  Going to kinder is a big deal for any kid and having a homie makes it so much more comfortable for the kids.  I'm happy he even has a little friend!  The Duggars were not allowed to have that even.  I'm dangerously close to humping. I can't help it. Izzy, like any child, deserves a good education and socialization.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

If you told me years ago that the one thing that is giving me hope in the year 2020 is that Jill Dillard has decided to send her kid(s) to a normal public school I would have gave you a weird look and said something like "that's impossible". But it's 2020 where a reality star is still the President so if that can happen than I guess that means a Duggar kid can send their kid to a normal public school. Go, Jill! I am so proud of her and I am glad that she has a friend who is going through the same thing. Going through a huge transition like this when growing up you were taught that you can only homeschool is harder to do when your only support is your partner so having outside support is crucial. I so do wish I was in the TTH house or in the house of one of married kids' to know what they think of this. I wonder if Jill told her parents about this before this video or if they learned about Jill decision like the rest of us? So many questions! 

• Upvote 21

I’m expecting Joy and Austin will send their son to public school, too. I could be wrong, but I believe she was the first to publicly say they were intentionally holding off becoming pregnant (after Annabell’s death). With the influence of Amy and now Jill sending her kids to PS, I see Joy following suit. 

• Upvote 12

I'm weirdly proud of her. It's so great to see her, little by little stepping away from her parent's beliefs. First Pants then Public school! I do worry it will be Jim Bob tightening the reigns at the big out. He must be furious. He probably lead a family prayer for Israel and just list all the imagined bad things about public schools to scare the kids and remind them what's acceptable. I really hope it works out well, and the Israel loves it. I think Jill would have fun being a class Mom. I also hope eventually she does something she really wants, and maybe gets her own education.

I'm a little curious if anyone will follow. I don't think Anna or Kendra/Joe would ever put their kids in public school. I don't think Lauren and Josiah would either, but I do think she struggles and gets overwhelmed easily, and wonder if she'd breakdown if she has too many kids too quickly and they'd end up in school to get them out of the house. Or she could just follow the Teri Maxwell path and keep having kids while being depressed. 

I think Ben and Jessa might if counting on is canceled and Ben gets a real job and isn't being completely supported by Jim Bob. He seems to occasionally think for himself. If he was independent he might lean towards proper schooling.

Joy and Austin might. I think losing Annabell has really made them think. I know Joy never fit in the fundy-mold well and she was on Jill's buddy team. I also think they've mentioned her struggling in school right? I think she might be aware that book learning was hard for her, and that she could use some support. They're a maybe for me.

Jinger and Jeremy I think will put their kids in school. 

No clue about John David and Abbie.

Edited by Babysitter
words and spacing, and forgotten bit
  • Upvote 3

While I am still not a fan of the Duggars at all, I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. I am very glad that, for whatever reason, Jill does seem positive at least on the video about putting Israel is school. Education is very important to me, both personally and professionally. I would love to see her volunteer in his classroom, or Sam's classroom if things go well and he makes it as far as school, and have Jill see what the boys as well as the other children are doing. I also love to see the teacher take Jill under her wing a bit and really encouraged her to at least pick up some community college credits.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 8

Jill was a good and faithful daughter, yet she and her husband are the ones who cannot be at the TTH without JB's permission and/or supervision. This situation probably made it easier for Jill to be on board (assuming she is and that she is not just keeping sweet while serving her husband) with public school.

If JB does 'double-down' on the kids still at home, all of them actually, it could backfire. From the snippets of their lives we have seen on TV and social media, the younger kids really seem to love Jill, not just the ones in her buddy group. If they keep hearing how bad Jill's situation is (or whatever JB spews) it may make it easier for them to split from the brand.

Unless there is another pregnancy, I'm with those who hope Jill gets the education or employment she wants. She could even be a teacher assistant or a paraprofessional (with required training) and work only during school hours.

• Upvote 15

If what @nausicaa said upthread is right - that this is one of the better elementary schools in the state - I wonder if that’s why they moved? It didn’t make a lot of sense at the time why they’d move to a not Duggar owned house and strike out on their own/take on debt while Derrick is in law school - but maybe this is why. Seems like the timing of their move also coincided with their falling out with the main house becoming stronger and more publicly obvious. If they did move for school districting (which is just my speculation) that shows a fair amount of pre-planning for this and would explain a lot of the fallout with Jim Bob. 

• Upvote 24

11 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This is evidence she's made tremendous strides in her thinking.  She's putting her children above her parents' teachings.

No one can change everything about their entire way of thinking overnight.  Give her some time.

I wonder if is one of the reasons that JB won't allow her in the compound anymore. 

on another note- finding this out. SHOCKED me. 

i mean all day long.

lol 

This is huge in her world. HUGE 

Edited by nst
  • Upvote 14

I don't see Joy putting Gideon at school. Wasn't Austin homeschooled? Plus none of them seems to value education. I see them homeschooling with workbooks/videos and no effort (à la Alyssa Bates) or sending their kids to Jessa's home to be homeschooled there, while Joy works with Austin.

Jinger definitely will take Jill's path. Also when Felicity will be 3, no doubt there will be a new baby Vuolo and Jinger will be overwhelmed. Maybe she will try 1 year of homeschooling, but Jeremy is competitive and sure wants his daughter (yes, despite being a girl) being smarter than her cousins. I can even picture them putting Felicity in a church-related daycare. 

Jessa and Ben will never do. But both are smart and probably resent not having been real-schooled. Jessa was outgoing, bright (for a Duggar), she would have been a good student and good at extra curricular activities, mafe friends etc. She probably makes an effort to homeschool better than her mom and an effort for her kids to have friends, and it can work well. But I wonder if she will doubt of decision once she sees how happy are Izzy, Sam and Lizzy at school.

Just adding that I don't see other Duggars going to school. Using bith control? Yes, no doubt. But school is very visible. Nobody working for JB or living in one of his houses will send kids to school. In addition, all the daughters in law have been homeschooled with good results (Abbie is a real nurse and Lauren went to a college for a while). Kendra just don't care about it, as long as kids know how to write and memorise scripture. 

Edited by Melissa1977
Adding
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I’m expecting Joy and Austin will send their son to public school, too. I could be wrong, but I believe she was the first to publicly say they were intentionally holding off becoming pregnant (after Annabell’s death). With the influence of Amy and now Jill sending her kids to PS, I see Joy following suit. 

My hope is, with Joy & Austin living next door to Amy, and Amy and Jill and Joy & Jill's relationships that J&A will follow the Dillard's in allowing the kids to go to public schools. I do have to wonder if losing Annabelle didn't shake Joy and Austin a bit, with enough people around them to encourage mainstream lifestyles I can see Joy following her sister mom Jill into the world of mainstream christianity/conservatism.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

I wouldn't be shocked if Joy, Jinger and possibly even Jessa send their children to school at some point, out of the boy's I think Josiah and Lauren may also decide school for Bella, Josiah seemed interested in learning beyond what he was being taught on the show. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I actually think what Joy and Austin do will be HEAVILY influenced by how many kids they end up having. That's an extremely open question right now. They're actually the most interesting to me right now other that Jill because at the moment they're the only couple I could genuinely see going on several directions- some VERY different than others- though unfortunately I don't see them ever breaking free despite that.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I may or may not have cried a little when I saw that video. The boys were so cute, Israel all excited and Sam acting like a typical enthousiastic little brother. 
My heart ached a bit for Jill. I imagine she walked into that school and felt like her boys could finally live a life she had wanted to live as a child. I mean, yes, she seemed to be daddy's sweetheart, but in the old episodes of "and counting", Jill really seemed to be very open and curious. 
Even if their beliefs remain extremely conservative or hateful, the boys will have much more chances in life due to their schooling. 
It's a good day in FJ-land.

• Upvote 15

Sorry for double post, but I googled the school, and indeed, it is ranked number 1 of 488 elementary schools in Arkansas.
I did see something very weird (to me). On the website I included in my screenshot, there is a section called "racial breakdown". Wow, that seems completely weird to me!! That wouldn't fly in my country at all. 

Opera Momentopname_2020-02-23_104553_www.schooldigger.com.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

It would be great to see Jill pursuing her education, but I could also see her having another baby once Israel is settled into school, and she only has Sam to worry about during the day.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, freethemall said:

I wonder if Jill will explain the decision and change in homeschool beliefs,  I'd be interested in hearing. Of all people in general, shes the one I most want to spill the beans and do an expose!

Derrick didnt grow up fundy but he sure as hell became fundy when JB became his mentor, he drank the koolaid, married a Duggar, quit his job to be a missionary, and becoming a raging homophobe and transphobe. So yes, he most definitely was on the John Schrader fundy path and now they've veered off sharply.

Well let’s hope so. Derick certainly doesn’t want his children having a sub par education - he benefited from educational opportunities even if paid work still seems to elude him. He also won’t mind sticking one to JB and feeling superior to the other Duggar families. He is still a know all, Trump supporting, homophobe however until he states any differently.

• Upvote 7

On 2/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, luv2laugh said:

Jill is already getting Instagram comments now about how “Those public schools teach things of the devil and gender fluidity! Keep him covered in the blood!”

I can’t imagine what Jim Bob and Michelle are saying. 

My first thoughts about being “covered in the blood”: 

DD1697DB-A2DB-4903-9B2C-AB0417658DC1.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

Derrick will likely continue to have horrible beliefs and it's possible that his kids will too. But being at school exposes them to a wider variety of people and opinions on things which could mean that Israel and Sam end up with a different worldview. All good things. 

My FIL is a racist, homophobic Trump supporter. My husband is none of those things. Israel and Sam's going to school gives me hope for their future. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 7

7 hours ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

Sorry for double post, but I googled the school, and indeed, it is ranked number 1 of 488 elementary schools in Arkansas.
I did see something very weird (to me). On the website I included in my screenshot, there is a section called "racial breakdown". Wow, that seems completely weird to me!! That wouldn't fly in my country at all. 

Opera Momentopname_2020-02-23_104553_www.schooldigger.com.png

The racial breakdowns are mandatory, and intended to make sure that schools that have high percentages of nonwhite students are not neglected by the school district, as unfortunately was often the case in the past. (I should admit that I don’t know the specifics; some FJer should be able to cite the law.)

If they really have been planning this long enough to deliberately build a house in a good school district, that’s awesome.

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

My heart ached a bit for Jill. I imagine she walked into that school and felt like her boys could finally live a life she had wanted to live as a child. I mean, yes, she seemed to be daddy's sweetheart, but in the old episodes of "and counting", Jill really seemed to be very open and curious. 

Jill was actually always one of the more intellectually curious kids. She was the girl who made friends in South America during on of their family trips and really wanted to learn Spanish. She developed the interest in midwifery and she was always interested in travelling and open to trying ethnic foods as well. Amy called her my little hippie cousin once. 

• Upvote 23
  • Love 1

I share everybody's enthusiasm, but am still holding my breath as to how much this will lead the kids away from their parents' toxic beliefs. I, unfortunately, knew of school students who had no problem being excited about Trump, mock feminism, think liberals are "pussies", etc. My mom student taught at an elementary school where one of her kiddos was a pastor's child whose father talked about how John Kerry was "evil" during the 2004 elections. This was kindergarten or 1st grade. 

My hope is that, should they hang onto conservative Christian values, they learn to respect and engage in meaningful conversations with people who hold different ideas and beliefs (which is what everybody should do anyway). My conservative Christian friends and teachers I met at school are some of the most decent people I know and if their beliefs are what make them kind and generous, I'm cool with it. I hope that this is the example that rubs off on them. 

I think it's hard to say when Jill will realize when her kids will have learned more than she did because, from my observations, kids are learning more and more at younger ages and so much information has changed. When I was a kid (elementary in the 90s), there were 5 biological kingdoms, vs the 2 or 3 my parents learned about and I think they've added one since my schools days (Counting On: Biological Kingdoms). Pluto was also a planet. Kids are learning languages in some school districts earlier than high school. I think I would have trouble helping kids with homework simply because I don't remember everything I learned. My guess is Jill will be bested by middle school

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Holy schmackarel I actually squealed when I saw her instagram post. I am happy for the kids. They deserve this. Izzy deserves to be with his peers, getting normal social interaction on a daily basis. I was in kindergarten only part time, but being from a rural area it was absolutely essential that I got at least those 2-3 days of being with other kids than just my older siblings. I'm excited for him to be in a public school. For the past year I've firmly believed that Jill and Dudrick will be sending their kids to school, but I assumed they'd find some private Christian school.

I'm also wondering how much Jill takes her own experience into account. She's clearly education-minded, but was deprived of proper resources all of her childhood and early adulthood. Derick has been an eye opener. Still hopeful that Jill would seek to become an actual nurse/midwife in the coming years.

• Upvote 5

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic