IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

I'm so glad for Izzy, Sam and Jill. Her beliefs are changing, it won't happen overnight and maybe she'll stay conservative but she's definitely not the Jill Duggar we met. Izzy and Sam have a brighter future than any other Duggar.

That being said, Jim bob will tighten his grip and I very much doubt any of the other grandchildren will go to public/private schools.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Are they liberal? No. Still some flavor of what I consider fundie? Yes. But are they growing and breaking free of JB? Yes. (Imo). Keep taking those baby steps away from the cult.

For me, I have now finally moved them from fundie to fundie-lite in my book

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

I would put them in the conservative/ Christian fundie-lite category as well. I mean they are still many, many denominations that are not LGBT inclusive. It's long, slow, continual process. I wish the Dilllards well and I hope their children keep thinking and become better people than their parents. Dance your hearts out Sammy and Izzy! 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

The thing is, Derrick was never fundy. He grew up in a regular family where the kids went to regular school, dated, was in Boy Scouts, played sports, went to college and the parents worked regular jobs. They just happened to be conservative Christians who are against abortion. Derrick never lived the Gothard Lifestyle, So his kids going to a real school isn’t surprising. He doesn’t have the same aversion to school. He is proof you can still send your kids to public school and they will will still have the same abhorrent views. My guess is Jill is fine with it because she sees Derrick still harbors her same beliefs and went to public school himself. 

I think it would be great for Jill to take a class herself. Maybe one to start with at the local community college so she can get an understanding of how it works and gain her confidence. Then she can work her way up to more. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 4

I was so happy to see her post. It will be great for Izzy and great for Jill (gives her some breathing room and one-on-one time with Sam). 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

24 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I'm so glad for Izzy, Sam and Jill. Her beliefs are changing, it won't happen overnight and maybe she'll stay conservative but she's definitely not the Jill Duggar we met. Izzy and Sam have a brighter future than any other Duggar.

That being said, Jim bob will tighten his grip and I very much doubt any of the other grandchildren will go to public/private schools.

I haven't ever watched the Duggars and only know about them from here, but I think it's really, really important that he can tighten his grip as much as he wants - but the younger kids can now see that there are possibilities outside what they have always held to be The Only Way. It is HUGE when an older sibling does things differently. Even if Jim Bob and Michelle completely shun them, you can't erase that sibling from their history, and the children know that Jill is a person that they have cared about, and proof that Duggars can make their own choices. When nobody has broken away yet, it's much harder to even imagine it.

• Upvote 29
  • I Agree 4

I'm glad that Israel will get to go to public school. It will give him a much better education than SOTDRT would, which will probably lead to him having more future opportunities than his cousins. And who knows, maybe once Jill's siblings see that Israel didn't come home from Kindergarten a satanist, they'll consider public school (or private school) for their own children.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, socalrules said:

The thing is, Derrick was never fundy. He grew up in a regular family where the kids went to regular school, dated, was in Boy Scouts, played sports, went to college and the parents worked regular jobs. They just happened to be conservative Christians who are against abortion. Derrick never lived the Gothard Lifestyle, So his kids going to a real school isn’t surprising. He doesn’t have the same aversion to school. He is proof you can still send your kids to public school and they will will still have the same abhorrent views. My guess is Jill is fine with it because she sees Derrick still harbors her same beliefs and went to public school himself. 

I think it would be great for Jill to take a class herself. Maybe one to start with at the local community college so she can get an understanding of how it works and gain her confidence. Then she can work her way up to more. 

This is why I think Whitney and Zach Bates May end up sending their kids to school. Whitney didn’t grow up homeschooled and she didn’t grow up fundie. 

• Upvote 8

I’m sure that deprogramming is really a long, complicated process and maybe this is the main reason that Jill was so miserable for so long. I am so happy for those boys. I had no doubt that with DD’s background, and with Cathy’s presence and influence, that those boys would eventually be in school, but I never dreamed it would be from Kindergarten or in a PS. I’ve been saying for a long time, getting the boot from TLC was the BEST thing that could have happen for the Dillards, and that those boys are so lucky. It does look like DD has freed Jill from fundiedom. I am so happy for their family. DD might have abhorrent beliefs, but he’s not stupid. Now, let’s hope that he’s willing to work to support his family. Looks like this might be the first fully contributing to society Duggar related family
Also, in more recent times JD’s  IG has been filled with pictures of she and the boys out with friends, so no isolation. It looks like they are having healthy fun! I’m glad that Jill has the personality she does and doesn’t look like she is filled with anger or resentment over her childhood or current status with her parents. That shit can really eat a person up and waste precious time.

Well done Dillards!!

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 24
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I remember JB and Michelle introducing David and Priscilla as “they’re basically our children” at a speaking event where they talked about the daughters wearing pants. Now that the Dillards are sending the kids to public school, I can’t see JB and Michelle letting them hang out and influence their kids. They said at the same speaking event “Be careful of who your friends are because you become like your friends!”.

I bet JB has shunned Jill and that’s sad to me. It still has to be hard on her.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6
  • I Agree 1

I just thought of something. Remember when Jill was being wheeled out of the hospital after Izzy’s birth, and she and DD spoke to the cameras and stated that their MD had assured them that Jill could go on to have vaginal births and in Jill’s words “tons of kids”? I’m still perplexed that Jill could have grown up in a house with 19 kids, and being one of the oldest daughters didn’t fully understand what having kids actually meant. Ok being isolated away in El Salvador and not not knowing the language, would be hard for most, I get that. 
I think over these last 6 years Jill and Dereck have come to realize that a lot of kids is just not for everyone. I was the oldest and only girl  and by age 10, I knew that I would never have a large family. My husband was the exact same way. In fact, his oldest sister never had any kids. She always said, “I raised mine.” Maybe there gets to be a point when there are so many kids that many hands DO make for lighter work vs if you have to do it ALL yourself? 

• Upvote 13

I am also pleased that Derrick and Jill are sending Izzy to school. Having a lot of friends who send their children to school and living close to Amy, who went to school and still manages to keep her Christian Faith just fine, has no doubt helped to reassure Jill. Izzy seems like a bright and outgoing little boy. He will love making new friends and learning new things. Perhaps Jill can volunteer in Izzy’s classroom. 

• Upvote 17

So JB's favorite has started cutting a few strings. Wonder if there are any regrets about him being Derick's prayer buddy? My only concern is for the youngest Duggar sisters. Because of this, JB may make it harder for more "normal", mainstream Christian guys. Or maybe he will be too old to worry about. Time will tell.

• Upvote 5

The only thing that irritated me with the video was Jill continually asking "Are you excited?". What is the poor kid supposed to say?  Oh, and the hard, dry oatmeal. But I don't like any oatmeal. 

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

So JB's favorite has started cutting a few strings. Wonder if there are any regrets about him being Derick's prayer buddy? My only concern is for the youngest Duggar sisters. Because of this, JB may make it harder for more "normal", mainstream Christian guys. Or maybe he will be too old to worry about. Time will tell.

They’ve been so lax with the youngest 4 daughters compared to the oldest 4 daughters. They are already doomed to rebel in my opinion. They weren’t raised by JB and Michelle exclusively. I’m not saying all the girls will escape fundie land. But I’m guessing at least 2 will. They’ve been ignored so much that I can’t imagine there is as much of a strong hold on them compared to their oldest sisters. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

I am so proud of Jill. She looks so confident and relaxed, but I imagine it was a very hard decision to initially make. Let's be honest, we don't REALLY understand the inner workings of the Duggars because what they present to us on the shows is a false narrative. Either this a roll-your-eyes-at-Jill's-shenanigans moment, or it's a moment that is going to change the dynamics with her family forever. She's probably experiencing lots of different emotions right now. I feel for her. I don't think there is any way that the entire schooling experience of her children isn't going to be an internal emotional roller coaster for Jill. 

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

This is the best Duggar news I've ever seen. I'm so freaking happy for Israel and Sam. And Jill.

Edit to add: I hope this doesn't mean Jill's boys won't be allowed to see their cousins. I could see JB and Michelle trying to prevent this. Can't let Jessa and Anna and the rest see how much quicker Israel advances with an actual teacher.

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 22

So proud of Jill and so happy for Izzy and Sam! Derick clearly loved his school days, but I also wonder if their family composition helped. Derick was one of two sons. Jill and Derick have two sons. I feel that Derick must see himself a lot in Izzy (older bro) in particular. I wonder if Jill and Derick had two daughters if a different decision would have been made, at least at first. Hopefully not though! I also thought the youtube video was very well done, Derick showed up for registration, and they all had a nice family moment. So for now, all I can say is yay!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 10

On 2/9/2020 at 8:16 AM, Idlewild said:

Derick thinks he is so much cleverer than everyone- students often go through this phase in my experience but they usually grow out of it when they realise how little they actually know- but Derick seems a bit stunted in this part of his development; 

I agree, he is much too old to have that special brand of insolence that usually belongs to adolescents transitioning into adulthood. Even though he is a student, there is no excuse for his games at his age, and more importantly, his stage of life. 

• Upvote 6

I am thrilled for Izzy and also for Jill because now she will make some real (Mom) friends and not the MLM Hun variety.  Since my kids started school I've made some amazing friends with other Moms I've met through my kids.

• Upvote 13

My guess is even if JB & Michelle put everyone under 18 on lockdown, it’s not going to change things. They lost strict control of their kids the day they had one too many to raise themselves. The younger kids have experienced too much imo for JB & M to raise them the same way they did the older kids. Plus, even if they’re not allowed to see Jill as often as they’d like, it’s a huge deal that they have at least one older sibling who has broken away from the pack. Not saying she’s mainstream yet, but Imo it’s a huge deal that they’re sending Izzy to public school. 

And I agree with everyone who hopes Jill goes to college when Sam starts in school. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she really wanted to go to non-homeschool when she was a kid. She just wasn’t permitted to admit it. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

35 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They’ve been so lax with the youngest 4 daughters compared to the oldest 4 daughters. They are already doomed to rebel in my opinion. They weren’t raised by JB and Michelle exclusively. I’m not saying all the girls will escape fundie land. But I’m guessing at least 2 will. They’ve been ignored so much that I can’t imagine there is as much of a strong hold on them compared to their oldest sisters. 

Not that I know the kid personally, but for some reason I can't even see Josie as a fundie adult.  She seems like such a strong-willed little spitfire still. How old is JB now?  56 or so?   Ha.  Good luck being in your mid 60's and trying to keep someone like that in line, especially after a couple of the older sisters have begun to pave the way by breaking some rules.

Public school.  What better way to frost Jim Bob's arse?

• Upvote 12

It's on their blog. They said "we have been homeschooling him some but thought it would be fun to let him go to kindergarten this year". So, we'll see what happens.

• Upvote 7

wow just was mindblown for a moment.

On Jill's blog post, there is a comment from a woman named Regina Shea.

That same women is a frequent commenter on Lori's blog (the picture). I forget if she posts with the name Regina or if she's the "Mommy Dearest" poster?? 

Very weird. 

I wonder if it's all day kindergarten. It will be great for Izzy and Sam. Izzy will definitely be a big boy now, and Sam will have one on one time with his mom. Unless she's pregnant again...

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic