IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

That video ended with Class of 2033 too!  Sounds like they're planning on public schools until the end of high school as well.

I'm pretty sure Felicity will go to public school as well.  Or a private Christian school, but I can't see J/J homeschooling their kid(s)

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I am happy to see that Jill is broadening not just her own horizons, but those of her children as well.  Even if the end goal is so Israel has the best chance to become Pistol Pete, it speaks volumes that he's registered in public school kindergarten for next fall.  Well done! 

I remember an episode of 19KAC in which the oldest Duggar kids played instruments at a public school assembly, so we know they have at least been inside the public school buildings when classes are in session.  For all we know, Jill may have always had a secret desire to be sitting in the assembly audiences or at one of those public school desks herself.  She probably would have done very well in a school setting and if allowed to attend in the first place; would likely have gone on to college and now likely be gainfully employed in her dream job as a registered nurse.  Hopefully she gets the chance to better her own education, too.   It's not too late!

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 31
  • Love 1

Wouldn't Jill have to just pull together all the fragments of her midwife certification training to get herself certified for real? I imagine she may need some training from a REAL teacher and not someone who seemed to just be doing it for the cameras.

• Upvote 5

If Jill wants to be a real midwife (in the US, a certified nurse midwife or CNM), she will need to attend and graduate from nursing school, pass boards, work for at least a year or two in labor and delivery, then complete a master’s program in midwifery and pass a certification exam. It is absolutely possible to do this as a working mom but it takes serious work and dedication. Intellectually I think Jill is likely capable, but I don’t know about her work ethic, prioritization or persistence.

• Upvote 22

9 hours ago, Giraffe said:

This has renewed my hope in some of the second generation Duggars. I hope many more of them follow suit!

I think Felicity will go to public or Christian school. I am very happy for Izzy, he looks thrilled. I am happy for all of them. Its so normal.

• Upvote 9

14 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

Wouldn't Jill have to just pull together all the fragments of her midwife certification training to get herself certified for real? I imagine she may need some training from a REAL teacher and not someone who seemed to just be doing it for the cameras.

The CPM is a crappy credential, to be honest and isn’t looked upon well by professional nurse midwives.  One thing about Derick is he seems to truly value actual education. I can see him pushing Jill to community college to become a nurse, if she still has the interest.

Derick looks back fondly on his school days. I suspect he, at least, never had any intention of being a homeschooling family.  I hope Jill doesn’t feel any pangs of guilt over this.  I was also homeschooled(though in a much better way academically and I have several degrees from real colleges) and never set foot in a school until college.  My parents were big into the only way is homeschooling fundie cult.  My kids attend public school and I still sometimes have those guilty thoughts that I should be homeschooling. DH, however, was also homeschooled in the same fundie cult and he is the one who insisted on public school. He has zero guilt over it, so maybe it’s just a mom thing.

• Upvote 19

I honestly wish Jill would just look into a nursing program. She could be a labor and delivery nurse. 

I am glad her kids will attend school. I really hope some of her siblings will follow her lead. 

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 2

55 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Jill may have always had a secret desire to be sitting in the assembly audiences or at one of those public school desks herself.  She probably would have done very well in a school setting and if allowed to attend in the first place; would likely have gone on to college and now likely be gainfully employed in her dream job as a registered nurse.

This is something I think even good home schoolers downplay too much: the allure of the social aspects and traditions of public schools and how difficult they are to replicate. 

I know home schoolers can do science fairs and proms if the parents put effort into it, but we know the Duggars didn't do anything cool or fun. I do think some of the kids, especially the outgoing ones, see school dances, graduation ceremonies, spelling bees, field days, and school sports depicted in media and feel at least a twinge of curiosity, if not envy. 

I also wonder how much Jill has realized her education was not as super amazing as her parents made out. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 30
  • Love 5

Havent been active on the dillards board for a while. But I had to see what the hoopla was about and I almost had a heart attack! Good for jill and izzy! 

I think Derrick realized that in order for Israel to become a third generation pistol pete he would actually have to have a real education, and not SOTDT. However the real test for me will be when he gets into middle school. Will he be allowed to go to dances? Take a date to the dance? We dont know if Derrick went to prom or other school events and remember he was the one with being on board with no alone time with your partner til after your wedding day. This is a step in the right direction, and my hope is that izzy and sam will be more liberal and keep their crazy conservative parents at bay.

Oh my god I'd would give anything to see Jim Boob and Meechelle have chest pains over this decision. Bet if they could go back in time Pops wouldnt have brought Derrick into Jill's life.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 6

I hope the backlash Jill is sure to receive from her family isn’t enough for any other siblings to reconsider their own plans of using public/private school. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4

17 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I also wonder how much Jill has realized her education was not as super amazing as her parents made out. 

I wonder what grade Izzy will be in when Jill realizes he's ahead of where she got to at the SOTDRT.  

• Upvote 23
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Cheetah said:

I wonder what grade Izzy will be in when Jill realizes he's ahead of where she got to at the SOTDRT.  

I think this experience is going to open Jill's eyes to a lot of unseen aspects of Michelle and Jim Bob. How much more rigorous public school is, for one, but also how much effort and study teachers and administrators put into developing curriculum for young students and creating an enriching learning environment.

There's no way she's not going to compare this to how Michelle handed them a workbook and reminded them about perpendicular beams. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 3

13 minutes ago, viii said:

I hope the backlash Jill is sure to receive from her family isn’t enough for any other siblings to reconsider their own plans of using public/private school. 

Jinger is far enough away from all that. I doubt she will hear much of the pushback. Plus Jinger is under Jeremy’s authority. If he’s cool with public school, Jinger will be too. 

• Upvote 11

1 minute ago, nausicaa said:

There's no way she's not going to compare this to how Michelle handed them a workbook and reminded them about perpendicular beams. 

True, but SOTDRT isn’t all bad. Jill will be able to teach him about bankruptcy, which I’m sure Izzy isn’t going to learn in Kinder. 

• Haha 28

I think fundies have an incredibly distorted view of public school. They don’t seem to understand you can still be very involved in your child’s education. I can literally email my son’s teacher any time. She gets back to me fairly quickly. She emails what they are learning each week. She always tells me if there’s some problem with my son. I can volunteer anytime. We work on his reading at home. Which likely looks a lot like homeschooling, lol. But it’s just called homework ;) I always know what’s going on in his class. We even get notifications when flu, lice, or strep is going around in the classroom. Jill might be a little surprised by how involved she is once she gets used to Izzy going to school. 

• Upvote 32
  • I Agree 9

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jinger is far enough away from all that. I doubt she will hear much of the pushback. Plus Jinger is under Jeremy’s authority. If he’s cool with public school, Jinger will be too. 

Jeremy himself was home schooled until he got to high school. He may see homeschooling as a valid choice. He only went to public school because he wanted to play soccer in college , where he got into a little trouble. I think the jury is out on those two.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

I wonder if anyone is going to say “Just because Jill wears pants doesn’t mean she’s not a fundie anymore!”

I am happy for Jill and coming from the Duggar family, I thought she was changing as soon as she got a nose piercing and wore pants. They’ll still be Trump fans but they aren’t fundies anymore. 

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1

My personal opinion is that sending the kids to school would not be met with a ton of push back if the Dillards had not left the show and been vocal about having beef with JB & M.  In fact, it would make the family look more normal.  "See, we don't mind pants wearing if it's not your conviction to wear skirts, we don't mind school if it's not your conviction to homeschool" sort of attitude.  Personally they may not like it because they have massive egos and feel like their kids should be perfect reflections of themselves, but I doubt D & J would have been cut off for it.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll say it now, just because Jill wears pants doesn't mean she's not a fundie anymore.  Plenty of fundies wear pants.  Alyssa wears pants and is homeschooling hers with the Gothard curriculum.

Registering him for public school is huge and is indicative that her thinking has undergone a radical change in an area which will have the most impact on her sons...but her sartorial choices have nothing to do with that.

Jill is already getting Instagram comments now about how “Those public schools teach things of the devil and gender fluidity! Keep him covered in the blood!”

I can’t imagine what Jim Bob and Michelle are saying. 

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 14

I think public school is a big deal, but not being quiverful is a bigger deal to me. So many problems arise out of having way too many kids. When you have many more children than you can properly care for, it creates more and more problems with each baby. Problems that arise: not enough food, space, attention, supervision and education. You end up being sister mommed until that sister gets married and you are devastated. You don’t have any privacy because you’re packed in like sardines. Your education is neglected. No one is watching you when you decide to do something dangerous and break yet another bone. Your parents beat you into submission because they can’t handle 19 children who aren’t immediately obedient. There is no money for any extra cirriculars. And you may not get the best medical care because there isn’t any money for it. I could go on and on all day but limiting your amount of children to what you can handle is huge in this cult. And helps these children so much.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 36
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

First Dillard video I ever watched. Someone upthread noted how normal everyone looked. They truly looked like a happy little family. Now they will be an educated family.

Jill & Derek please open your house to some of Jill's younger siblings when they make a break for it. And please continue on your own path. The one not influenced by the cult.

Are they liberal? No. Still some flavor of what I consider fundie? Yes. But are they growing and breaking free of JB? Yes. (Imo). Keep taking those baby steps away from the cult.

• Upvote 32
  • I Agree 5

I almost home schooled my kids when it was time for kindergarten with our first. We had just moved back to the states and Columbine happened. I was so worried about school shootings (I guess we had no idea just how bad it would get ?). I even had a curriculum picked out (non religious). But I chickened out at the last minute and I'm so glad I did. My kids loved school (well maybe not high school so much lol) and were so involved in sports and music and had loads of friends. I did the whole PTA thing and was often at school, so I could eat lunch with them or see them at the book fair or whatever. I made a lot of mom-friends too. I could see Jill really enjoying being involved in that way- for me it was a good way to stay involved but also let them learn from someone other than me. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic