IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

I haven’t watched the video. But Izzy looks like such a cute little kid! He looks delighted.

I’m also curious as to what the other married Duggars will do w/r/t their kids. Felicity may well go to a private Christian school, but it’s better than the SOTDRT. She’s still only a year and a half old, though, so we have a while to wait and see.

• Upvote 7

Just saw Jill's IG and video. I am so happy for Izzy! I hope he has an easy transition and blossoms in school. And that Jill is ok with letting go a bit and seeing how nice it can be for Izzy to have his own little world outside the home - what a foreign concept for a Duggar. I feel like a year ago they were locked into homeschooling from some of their comments on SM. I wonder what changed. I believe last year Derick commented Izzy had finished Jill's version of Kindergarten. It always made me mad that Derick seemed to get such a hard on from being a student while on track to keep his kids at home. 

Zero snark on the video she uploaded. As was said earlier, she was respectful towards others not showing faces, they were there early and everyone was in a good mood. 

But I feel like I have to snark on something...so here's to Izzy joining soccer and becoming a better player than Jeremy in the next 5 years.  

Edited by bella8050
  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 31
  • Love 3

Jana liked jills post on ig. Very interesting. Let’s see if any other Bates or Duggar’s like the post. I’m really happy for Izzy. 

Not surprising, likes on jills post

B58B520F-F3E2-4529-ABB0-061752470C9B.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

The main Duggar fam accounts are always sharing family updates...let's see if they share Izzy's little school picture and congratulate him. They should if they're going on CO and claiming to be OK with Jinger being "led" to wear pants and live in LA....

• Upvote 12

Jill’s friend Rachel, who does the skincare stuff she’s been promoting, took her son to register at the same place. Looks like she might have been a good influence! 

She has a public insta @rachelvirden if anyone wants to check it out. I just didn’t feel like putting her kid on FJ. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

Wow. I’m happy for Israel. It seemed to me like hills fairytale as presented by dangerous purity culture and fundementalism didn’t work out but she’s working through it and making a happy world for her and her kids. I hope so. Besthubbyever is still a tool in my mind but...  this is a move in a good direction. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I wonder if Jill will explain the decision and change in homeschool beliefs,  I'd be interested in hearing. Of all people in general, shes the one I most want to spill the beans and do an expose!

5 hours ago, socalrules said:

The thing is, Derrick was never fundy. He grew up in a regular family where the kids went to regular school, dated, was in Boy Scouts, played sports, went to college and the parents worked regular jobs. They just happened to be conservative Christians who are against abortion. Derrick never lived the Gothard Lifestyle, So his kids going to a real school isn’t surprising. He doesn’t have the same aversion to school. He is proof you can still send your kids to public school and they will will still have the same abhorrent views. My guess is Jill is fine with it because she sees Derrick still harbors her same beliefs and went to public school himself. 

I think it would be great for Jill to take a class herself. Maybe one to start with at the local community college so she can get an understanding of how it works and gain her confidence. Then she can work her way up to more. 

Derrick didnt grow up fundy but he sure as hell became fundy when JB became his mentor, he drank the koolaid, married a Duggar, quit his job to be a missionary, and becoming a raging homophobe and transphobe. So yes, he most definitely was on the John Schrader fundy path and now they've veered off sharply.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

The only thing that irritated me with the video was Jill continually asking "Are you excited?". What is the poor kid supposed to say?  Oh, and the hard, dry oatmeal. But I don't like any oatmeal. 

I ask my dog that when we get someplace I think he will like. I do it because I am excited and want him to be to. My dog of course never answers me back. 

I think Jill is excited and wants Izzy to be too. So, she kept asking him if he was. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 4

29 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

I ask my dog that when we get someplace I think he will like. I do it because I am excited and want him to be to. My dog of course never answers me back. 

I think Jill is excited and wants Izzy to be too. So, she kept asking him if he was. 

Guess I never did that with my son. He must have felt awfully neglected. LOL! I just explained "this is what's happening".

• WTF 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Guess I never did that with my son. He must have felt awfully neglected. LOL! I just explained "this is what's happening".

Everyone does things differently. I don't see how anyone should feel neglected because their mom did something slightly differently from their friends mom. I honestly don't see how she handled it to be snark worthy. She probably did not know exactly what to expect herself because she never experienced this before. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

Without knowing them personally it's hard to know if they're even fundie lite at this point. I think it's actually most likely they are mainstream conservative Christians of the hateful variety. Unfortunately this won't mean much for some of their most repugnant views but it means a lot for their kids, who will not grow up in a cult and are way less likely to be severely abused now, at least emotionally and later financially. I also think this could be huge for Jill's future but that's probably up to her. I would not be surprised if she eventually is employed outside the home, particularly if they continue on with either severely limiting their family size or even have no more kids (I don't actually think no more kids is likely but I would be shocked if they have more than 2 more, 3 at most).

It's absolutely huge that their sons will go to public school, that they now refer to a huge mainstream christian church as their only church, and that they celebrate Halloween. And it's big too that they pretty much for sure are deliberately and most likely severely restricting their family size. Most of the other changes they've made (clothes! nose ring! heathen disco! secular books and podcasts! Muslim friends!) are smaller and not intrinsic to the fundie philosophy but taken with the 4 things above that I do think are major I think it's becoming hard to consider them fundie or even fundie lite without squinting VERY hard.

Hopefully they'll continue on this path. One can always hope one day some of their more hateful beliefs will change too.

• Upvote 21

15 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Everyone does things differently. I don't see how anyone should feel neglected because their mom did something slightly differently from their friends mom. I honestly don't see how she handled it to be snark worthy. She probably did not know exactly what to expect herself because she never experienced this before. 

I'm with you and I get Jill on this one too - I'm totally the kind of mom that annoys my son with "do you like it?" and "are you having fun?" and "are you excited?" questions all the time. It's just me, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone not asking those questions. If anything, I'm probably an overbearing weirdo, but oh well. 

• Upvote 19

Your oldest starting school for the first time is an emotional moment. I can't snark Jill for acting a little silly. I cried when my oldest two (twins) started preschool!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 7

Good for them. Imo, this does confirm the de-fundieization of Jill. She has only, up until this point, shown outward signs. It's complicated.  Dwreck is an entire ass. But, I guess he's her ass and she can de-funfie a bit. I've always thought all this started when the Josh stuff came out. It's been slow and definitely weird but, for Isreal's sake, I applaud this move.  And, yes, I do believe this will help some of the other Duggars. I generally don't connect with or like the evengelical set but, for someone who was steeped in Gothard and fundie suffering, I will just be happy for the progress. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I don't think Anna will ever send her kids to school. Other kids might find out who their father is. It would be so hard for them.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 10

Well, I have nothing more to add that was not said before.

But... a Duggarling sending their kid to public school. What a time to be alive!

Edited by Vivi_music
  • Upvote 16
  • Haha 8
  • Love 1

I won't lie, I never expected Jill to be the one to send her kid to public school off the bat. I thought someday she would, but I didn't expect any of this starting in kindergarten stuff. Or for it to be a public public school. I thought maybe christian school. 

Like damn. Good for them! Go Izzy! Have fun!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

40 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I don't think Anna will ever send her kids to school. Other kids might find out who their father is. It would be so hard for them.

I agree she’ll never send them to school. I doubt it has anything to do with her fear they’ll find out more about her husband; she’s simply too steeped in the kool-aid to leave Gothardism.

?  ? If something wakes Anna up and she leaves Gothardism, I predict she’ll leave Christianity completely and become an atheist. 

• Upvote 8

I think the convo went like this:

D- Izzy needs to go to school.

J- Why?
D- Because that’s how we did it in my family and I did just fine. It did not affect my faith at all. My parents went to PS and so did your mom, and we are all fine, faith filled people. Your dad went to Christian school, but for now, private school is not in the budget. And look at these test scores for IZZy’s zoned PS.

J- Well, you do make some good points. I guess it could work

J and D- Izzy do you want to go to school with your friends?

I- Just me and not Sam? YES!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think the convo went like this:

D- Izzy needs to go to school.

J- Why?
D- Because that’s how we did it in my family and I did just fine. It did not affect my faith at all. My parents went to PS and so did your mom, and we are all fine, faith filled people. Your dad went to Christian school, but for now, private school is not in the budget. And look at these test scores for IZZy’s zoned PS.

J- Well, you do make some good points. I guess it could work

J and D- Izzy do you want to go to school with your friends?

I- Just me and not Sam? YES!

I'm sure Israel being friends with another little boy starting kindergarten didn't hurt at all either!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

I also think just having two children may have helped the decision for public school. Well that sounds counterintuitive, I would think it would be mentally harder to think about getting your child up and ready to leave the house at a certain time if you had three or four younger siblings that weren't old enough to go to school (and you had never left the house for school, yourself) instead of just one. Like an earlier poster said, I wonder if the decision would have been the same, had Derick and Jill had a daughter as their oldest child.

As for the rest of the Duggars and brick-and-mortar schools, I agree with many other posters that Felicity would probably end up at a Christian School, but I'm not sure that I see any of the other married Duggars' children going. I would love to see Austin and joy send their son, but I see homeschooling as a point of pride for Josh and Anna, Ben and Jess, Joe and Kendra, and Josiah and Lauren. I will be kind of interested in seeing what John David and Abbie do- it might depend on how many children they have, and if Abbie decides that she is fed up with not having a regular paycheck and so she decides to go back to work.

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll say it now, just because Jill wears pants doesn't mean she's not a fundie anymore.  Plenty of fundies wear pants.  Alyssa wears pants and is homeschooling hers with the Gothard curriculum.

Registering him for public school is huge and is indicative that her thinking has undergone a radical change in an area which will have the most impact on her sons...but her sartorial choices have nothing to do with that.

And Derick is still an asshole with hideous beliefs.

What's good here is that the boys will get exposure and proper education. Begin learning critical thinking. It's something.

Fundie kids can go to school and still be taught their classmates are reprobates. Hopefully they will have a harder time believing it.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

This shocked me when I read about it. When I first watched 19KAC I thought Jill would be the one most likely to have a million kids, homeschool them and become super fundie. She has proved a lot of us wrong. I look forward to seeing what else will change. 

I think Jinger will send Felicity to school and I can't see Joy homeschooling either. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

As a college professor and homeschool mom I’m happy to see this. Homeschool is not for everyone and sadly Jill’s homeschool education was lacking to the point she isn’t able to give her kids a proper education to prepare them for higher education. I agree Jim Bob and Michelle heads must be exploding with this information. I hope Jill decides to take some classes once Sam is in school and she has a lot of time on her hands. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

My comment really deserved a WTF?

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 7
  • Downvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic