IGNORED

Baby Name Thread 3

HerNameIsBuffy

13 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

How are Maisie and Macy pronounced any differently? 

For me it's a Z vs S sound. 

Maisie = maze-e

Macy = mace-e

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 20
  • Thank You 3

On 8/10/2020 at 6:24 AM, adidas said:

Bates baby:

John for a boy

Two syllable name ending in ‘ie’ or ‘y’ for a girl. Maybe Evie, Ivy or Milly.

I guessed two syllables ending in ‘ie’ or ‘y’ but Macey didn’t cross my mind for Alyssa. 

Edited by adidas

55 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I love the Social Security baby name website! Here are the 2019 rankings for various spellings of Maci. Macey hasn’t been in the top 1000 since 2014.

B10B9B21-107E-4B59-A7DF-3D0722D4FEE2.jpeg

I’m actually really surprised that Maci is the most popular spelling! I assumed that Macy was the most popular since it’s spelled the same way as Macy’s department store. I’m hoping she uses the Macy spelling so at least Kaci still gets some uniqueness to her name now that she’s going to have a cousin with a rhyming name. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Actually, Alyssa made an Instagram post explaining how they choose this name (they like it and according to them it means gift of God and it was almost what Zoey could have been called ) and is Maci Jo 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Thank You 1

Seems like a stretch to say Maci means gift of god. They must be assuming that Maci is a female version of Matthew. Definitely a stretch. 

According to Baby Name Wizard, Maci/Macy is from the old French word for weapon. I don’t give name meanings much credence, but this is a pretty stark contrast. Why not just say that you just like the name?

https://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/maci

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

23 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Seems like a stretch to say Maci means gift of god. They must be assuming that Maci is a female version of Matthew. Definitely a stretch. 

According to Baby Name Wizard, Maci/Macy is from the old French word for weapon. I don’t give name meanings much credence, but this is a pretty stark contrast. Why not just say that you just like the name?

https://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/maci

I’d go with the weapon meaning

Over here a mace is something carried into the House of Commons at the start of parliament , but that comes from the historical meaning in 2a)  

a : a heavy often spiked staff or club used especially in the Middle Ages for breaking armor. b : a club used as a weapon. 2a : an ornamental staff borne as a symbol of authority before a public official (such as a magistrate) or a legislative body. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

I checked on Behind The Name and this is the meaning they gave:

From an English surname that was from various towns named Massy in France. The towns themselves were originally named from a Gallo-Roman personal name that was Latinized as Maccius. This is the name of a chain of American department stores founded by Rowland Hussey Macy (1822-1877).

https://www.behindthename.com/name/macy

Either the weapon origin or the French town origin, the point is... but it does NOT mean gift of God. Stop this. No need to find a deep religious meaning. Ya guys like the name. That is all.

Edited by Vivi_music
Added something
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

Gosh, it’s so stupid when fundies invent meanings for names. If you want a name with a religious meaning, choose a biblical name and stop making stuff up. SOTDRT strikes again. If they wanted a name that meant Gift of God, they should have chosen Thea, Dorothy or Mattea. 

Jo could be a feminine short form of John/Johannes, which means God is gracious. At a very large push, it could be a feminine short form of Jonathan, which means Yahweh has given. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

And why spell it maci way to close to kaci. I don’t mean they should have not given her that name if they liked it. But with so many spellings. I personally would have went with one not so close to a rhyming cousin. 

I think Alyssa is all about the cutesy i endings (eg Lexi, Maci). And I think she and Whitney likely have very similar naming styles. If it had been an acceptable option she probably would have spelled Allie and Zoey with an i. I’m actually a little surprised she didn’t use the spelling Zoie. But it’s uncommon, a lot of vowels, and looks like it could be pronounced Zoy. I still think Kylie/Kyli has to be high on her girl name list. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

I think Alyssa is all about the cutesy i endings (eg Lexi, Maci). And I think she and Whitney likely have very similar naming styles. If it had been an acceptable option she probably would have spelled Allie and Zoey with an i. I’m actually a little surprised she didn’t use the spelling Zoie. But it’s uncommon, a lot of vowels, and looks like it could be pronounced Zoy. I still think Kylie/Kyli has to be high on her girl name list. 

I just realized it's Kaci and Maci and Zoey and Khloe. Kaci and Khloe are Whitney's girls and Zoey and Maci are Alyssa's girls.  Whitney's Kaci is older than Alyssa's Maci, but Alyssa's Zoey is older than Whitney's Khloe. If Whitney ever has another daughter, she'll be Kallie. (I know Whitney isn't pregnant ATM.)

(The joke is Alyssa's oldest is Allie. So add Allie-Kallie, to Kaci-Maci, and Zoey-Khloe.)

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I just realized it's Kaci and Maci and Zoey and Khloe. Kaci and Khloe are Whitney's girls and Zoey and Maci are Alyssa's girls.  Whitney's Kaci is older than Alyssa's Maci, but Alyssa's Zoey is older than Whitney's Khloe. If Whitney ever has another daughter, she'll be Kallie. (I know Whitney isn't pregnant ATM.)

(The joke is Alyssa's oldest is Allie. So add Allie-Kallie, to Kaci-Maci, and Zoey-Khloe.)

I doubt Callie/kallie would ever be used because of Zac’s youngest sister... 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I want to take back one of my guesses for Jinger and Jeremy. I previously guessed Penelope Diana or Amelia Diana but I think Amelia is too common for them now. Although I do think they may choose a name that is more regionally popular in California but a little lower on the national charts.

I still think the middle name will be Diana if they go for a longer first name. I think it will be Josephine if they choose a shorter first name. Maybe Josephine for a first name but using a less common nickname like Posey but I think it's unlikely because of Josie Duggar. I think they could be tempted to use Arabella despite Bella and Annabelle being used by Jinjer's siblings and going with Ari or Ara as a nickname.

So my guesses are:

Penelope Diana (this is still my top guess if I had to pick only one)
Valentina Diana
Vivienne Diana
Aurora Diana

Hazel Josephine
Stella Josephine
Isla Josephine
Sabina Josephine

• Upvote 2

I think the Vuolos will use Charlotte to honor Charles "Chuck" Vuolo, Chuck Vuolo Jr.,  and Charles Spurgeon.  It may be too popular for a first name, but maybe they won't care. 

Irene Charlotte is my top pick for a name. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I think the Vuolos will use Charlotte to honor Charles "Chuck" Vuolo, Chuck Vuolo Jr.,  and Charles Spurgeon.  It may be too popular for a first name, but maybe they won't care. 

Irene Charlotte is my top pick for a name. 

I adore the name Charlotte, popularity be damned. It has been the #1 name in my home state in Australia for 6 of the past 9 years and in the Top 10 since 2004. In that time, I worked with kids in schools and in other capacities and no matter how many Charlottes I met, it never lost its shine for me. I also had at least 1 Charlotte in my grade at every school I attended growing up (I'm 31), and I don't tire of it. Probably one factor in that is how the most popular names account for a much smaller percentage of births today than they did even 20-30 years ago and trends lower each year still. Naming your daughter Charlotte, or for a US comparison, Olivia, is not like naming your daughter Jessica in 1990. In 2019, Olivia (the #1 ranked name) accounted for just 1.01% of all female births whereas Jessica accounted for 2.26% of births in 1990.

That being said, I personally would rather a more uncommon name as long as there was one I loved just as much but I've always said that I'd happily name my hypothetical kid Charlotte if said child's father had a more conservative or traditional taste in names. I could definitely compromise on a Charlotte.

Charlotte Josephine would be lovely. I just have feeling that because Lissy's middle name is Jinjer's middle name, they might go for the female version of Jeremy's middle name for the second child. I don't see them having a mega-sized family so I think they might be less likely to wait for a son to come along to use Joseph.

• Upvote 4

On 9/19/2020 at 8:47 AM, JanasTattooParlor said:

I’m actually really surprised that Maci is the most popular spelling! I assumed that Macy was the most popular since it’s spelled the same way as Macy’s department store. I’m hoping she uses the Macy spelling so at least Kaci still gets some uniqueness to her name now that she’s going to have a cousin with a rhyming name. 

It's because of Maci on Teen Mom. All of the casts' names and their kids' names grew exponentially in popularity after 16 and Pregnant and its spin-offs started airing.

• Upvote 5

I think that the Vuolos will honor family with either Diana or Mary. For the first name I think they will have a name with meaning like Patience or maybe more girlie and then twist out a fake meaning,  like Posey. I do think that Charlotte is a great guess for them as well. 

• Upvote 3

I guessed Penelope for Jinger but I’m going to add Hazel as well. I didn’t guess middle names last time but I do think Charlotte is a good guess. The other middle names I think they could go for are Jemma, for Jeremy. Or Josephine for his middle name. 

Hazel Josephine 

Penelope Jemma

• Upvote 2

I'm changing my guess for the Vuolos to Genevieve Maryanne due 11/14. Nickname Vivi.

I originally guessed Elena or Elizabeth but realize now those two would be unlikely choices.

• Upvote 1

I could see either Elena or Elizabeth.

I thought about honoring Mary or Diana, but I'm not sure. Was Jinger close with Grandma Mary? Diana seems too pagan to me for them to use, although I know Jeremy's mother is Diana.  Mary seems too close to Maryella.  

• Upvote 3

Jinger was described as being especially close to Grandma Mary. I think they’ll use it as a middle name. I don’t think sharing a middle with part of a name of one of dozens of cousins who live in a different state would be a big deal. These people named 1/3 of their daughters Jana, Joy-Anna, and Johannah!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic