IGNORED

New Season: Meri, Meri and More Meri

Tatar-tot

25 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Anybody out there watching now?

She did say that, I remember it. I've been watching this train wreck since the beginning. 

I just don't get Kody's push for one home at this stage of the game. They haven't had one house since Utah. They didn't have one house in Vegas. Why is it so important now? 

Fundies kill me with their conservatism in everything but names, which must be so UNEEK! Truely is so silly to me, Truely what? What was Christine thinking? 

And Truely paired with Brown sounds even odder than with a last name that isn't an adjective. I cringe at "Mykelti" too. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I felt so bad for the Brown kids hearing the moms talk about how their kids are struggling with the move to Flagstaff and how great everything was in Vegas while Kody just sat there.  Nothing the Brown adults do makes any sense and I continue to be dumbfounded by their choices.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 4

On the spectrum of names, Truely has grown on me. As if you look down at your infant and say "aw, truly perfection"

That's "soo Christine" and the kid is pretty cute.

As names and children go.

Much like Spurgeon seems to be coming into a personality that can handle his moniker.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

On the spectrum of names, Truely has grown on me. As if you look down at your infant and say "aw, truly perfection"

That's "soo Christine" and the kid is pretty cute.

As names and children go.

Much like Spurgeon seems to be coming into a personality that can handle his moniker.

Then name the kid Truely Perfection (barf).  By itself, Truely just sounds stupid, to me.  It is so Christine, and I don't know about the cuteness of the kid, but that's irrelevant. Don't know about Spurgeon either. I think it's thoughtless to give your kid a UNEEK name when you have a normal one. A name is a lifetime thing, although thank goodness it can be changed if desired. To each her own.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I like the name True, I’m not wild about Truely.  

as I suspected, I see we are indeed repeating storylines.  Kids having trouble adapting, check.  Everyone whining about how far apart they are, check.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Season 14, Episode 4 Four Wives, One House? 

Janelle lobbied to be the listing agent of the Las Vegas homes, and wants to do it to save the commission. Kody said no, and said Janelle took it as an insult, but she doesn’t live there (it isn’t close), and she isn’t available to show the house often. Janelle goes to Vegas every other weekend to show the houses. It is painful to admit, but I agree with Kody, Janelle can’t do it full time. If they put the houses on the market before they moved (like most people do, since most people can’t afford to buy a house without selling their current home) Janelle being the real estate agent made sense, but once she moved, no. Janelle and Christine have their houses on the market. Janelle said Meri’s house needs cleaned up and some cosmetic work. Meri lived in the Las Vegas home for six weeks in between the two Flagstaff rentals, what did she do with her time? Meri doesn’t have children at home, so keeping the house cleaned and staged seems doable. Janelle said Robyn is managing little kids, (last episode Robyn said she is hosting a family reunion in October), so she can’t get her house on the market yet. Also not sure if it was Janelle or Christine’s home but Janelle said it had two laundries (not sure if that means two washers two dryers in one room or two separate laundry areas), and two dish washers. Kody said he is terrible with family business because he forgets he is dealing with his wife and asks why is this not profitable, why haven’t you thought about so and so. Robyn was vigorously nodding in agreement. 

Christine had pillow cases made that say home is where the wives are. Christine said she is very open with being polygamous now (told the pillow lady), but she was raised to believe the outside world was dangerous and not to trust people outside of her faith. Christine never felt like she could confide in a teacher for fear of her dad being put in prison.  She shared her father’s dad was put in prison for his beliefs, at one point the whole family had to separate, never lived together again, and they didn’t see their siblings for years. Also Kody is from Wyoming, (not Montana as I wrongly stated in a previous post). 

Ysabel and Christine shared Gwen has struggled with the move, she hasn’t made close friends, expressed she felt depressed, so Christine (with Kody’s begrudging agreement) got Gwen a puppy to cheer her up. Truely asked is there a cat in the car? No cat, and she left the room crying. Truely said she wants a cat, and said she is petrified of dogs. I am impressed by an eight year old using the word petrified, and hoping she gets her cat. Kody does not want pets, and makes this abundantly clear. Meri and her mother Bonnie went to Christine’s to be there to meet the puppy. Meri said she tries to make an effort to be at different places at different times to see people in Flagstaff. To me if felt like a barb, Meri feels she is making the effort, and without saying it sounds like she doesn’t feel the others wives make the same effort. Meri do you make the effort when the family isn't filming?

Christmas Eve morning the new group of older girls (Gwen, Ysabel, Savannah, Aurora and Breanna) are making breakfast which is a Brown family tradition. This is where the kids relationships shine. We get to see the fun the kids have, goofing around, and enjoying spending time together. Janelle doesn’t enjoy all the chaos, but Christine loves it, and hosts the breakfast, but commented the house is too small for the crowd. Savannah is the only kid in middle school, so she goes to school by herself, and doesn’t get to see her siblings often, not at school, not on the bus, not in the cul de sac. Christmas Eve in the evening they went to Meri’s, and spend all of Christmas day at Robyn’s. Kody says parking is an issue with no more cul de sac, and Meri’s driveway is terrible for parking. As many posters here on FJ have wondered were all the cars, at least part of the reason Meri’s neighbors called the cops. 

Kody is going to show the family his mega compound house plans. Kody wants the ability to see his children all the time, and he went on to say to be frank it wouldn’t hurt me to see my wives every day either. He really knows how to sell plural marriage. Hunter, Madison, and Aspyn are home for Christmas. So Kody puts the pictures of the house up, says welcome to my house, my living room, it sounds like this house is just for him. It also includes a loft area. Janelle laughs and says hold questions until the end, Robyn isn’t even looking, not paying attention. Christine said she likes who she is now more, more than when they were living together, and thinks she is a better mom when living on her own. Christine is not on board with this plan at all. Meri isn’t sure it is safe to share her opinion. Robyn said it is all white, it will be ruined in a week, it has he forgotten who his kids are? Robyn said that Kody’s living room doesn’t seem big enough for the crowd. There is a ten bay parking garage under the house. Robyn said Christine didn’t even want to stay with her or Janelle until her house was ready, so she clearly doesn’t want to live together. Christine said she didn’t want everyone unsettled. Kody goes on to say this house is his dream, and a prison. Sometimes he needs a break from everyone, so not only will he build the mega house with his family room/kitchen, he will also build himself a cabin where he can retreat and take a break. He feels everyone wants something from him all the time— dude you married four wives and have 18 kids— what did you expect? Janelle said everyone gets to the point where they want a break from the kids and chaos, but why are you telling the kids? Christine is waiting for him to talk himself out of it. Robyn said this is just how Kody talks, you don’t take everything he says seriously. She said he tends to contradict himself (my words) while he talks, he’ll say this is a fantastic idea, this might be a crummy idea. Kody said and I quote “a big family creates an environment that sometimes has a bit of psychic tension.”  So I find it tough to follow exactly what he is saying. Kody admits he’s not looking forward to being an empty nester, being a father is part of his identity, and is constantly debating if Ari is his last child (Robyn wondered why he was discussing that with the whole family). Robyn said some of the kids have been jerks about him, being a dad (my guess is she is talking about his age), and he is trying to say he is young enough to have more kids. Maddie asked are you really considering more kids? Kody responded he has a washboard stomach, that is some testosterone, and the crowd is all enough enough no one needs to hear that. 

Autonomy and privacy are the two important factors in a mega home, and this house will have block (they used the word block, the walls are block) in the internal walls separating each home. Janelle said in the Lehi, UT house there was the upstairs/downstairs issue for Christine and Meri when they were on different schedules. Anyone who has lived in an apartment is familiar with this concept, you may want to sleep in Saturday morning but the toddler upstairs is jumping up and down at 5:30am ready to go. Janelle went on to say she is in bed by 9pm, and up by 4 or 5am, but Robyn doesn’t go to bed until 1am, and then sleeps until late in the morning. Please Janelle give us more! Does Robyn do this only on weekends? Did Robyn’s cousin (the one who lived with them, and did child care) do the morning school routine each day while Robyn slept it? Don’t leave me hanging!

The mega compound home is 13,000 square feet. The one home in Lehi, UT during the first season was 5,000 sq ft. Each Las Vegas home was 4,000, so 16,000 for all four, and the four Flagstaff homes come in at 12,000 square feet according to Janelle. Janelle is cool and on board with the one house. Meri doesn’t feel safe sharing her opinion, but let’s be real she doesn’t want one house. Robyn claims she doesn’t know how she feels about it, and isn’t going to think about it over Christmas, will think about it later. Christine is 100% against the idea, and said she better have a damn good present tomorrow (on Christmas). Maddie said she likes it, and it would be easier for her with kids, but it isn’t her house. 

My two cents on the house: Kody creating a neutral area (his living room/kitchen), to host friends and family makes sense to an extent because no wife wants to be imposed upon (please understand this is a world I am pretending some of what Kody says makes sense). The Duggars built a huge family room/dining room, and have the ability to move furniture and set up a bunch of tables and chairs to accommodate a crowd. I would think you would make it one big open room, so you could have a couple of couches for regular family time, tables and chairs (folding tables and chairs when you are hosting Thanksgiving, or a family dinner), sleeping bags (say one of the kids wants to have a bunch of friends over for a big sleepover), whatever suited your needs. I don’t see the need for an extra kitchen, chances are they will cook in their own kitchens (where they keep all their pots, pans, food ingredients) and if they had a counter (or set up a table) along the wall with extra outlets to plug in crock pots, or warming dishes if they wanted ok, but the need for a fifth set of kitchen appliances that would be used a few times a year seems expensive and unnecessary (along with many of his other ideas). I confess to thinking about this house design far too much! 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 1

These ding-dongs appear to make major life decisions about as well as JRod and Deadbeat Dave do...

(I guess that's not fair, I suspect Kody is the main decision maker. But these women, most of whom I like, somehow all made the choice to marry that idiot, so...)

• Upvote 12

Season 14 Episode 5 Not So Merry Christmas

Christmas Eve Evening at Meri’s which is the tradition, and the whole family is together. The tradition is to eat dinner at Meri’s and then get pajamas. The first year Meri did it they had six kids, and she got them sweat pants, in the past she used to make the pajamas, now she buys them. After dinner Kody pulls out the blue prints on the house, and asks if anyone wants to see them, some of the adult kids do. Hunter said it was pretty dang cool. Kody is very proud of his plan. Christine won’t look at the plans and busies herself cleaning in the kitchen, Robyn doesn’t want to discuss it at Christmas, so Janelle is the only one taking an interest. Robyn always wants the kids to come home for Christmas, and thinks creating tension with conversation about one house sets the wrong tone. Janelle said her home is too small for hosting, Christine said she didn’t realize her small her house was until she had the crowd for breakfast that morning, Kody said the gigantic house is a good idea, plenty of space for everyone, and Robyn said we can’t discuss this now. Only three kids aren’t there (Mykelti, Mariah, not sure who else Logan or Paedon maybe), and for some reason Kody is wearing a colorful Christmas sweater with a gorilla on it. Robyn loves that the whole family gets together to celebrate, growing up her dad celebrated with each wife and their children, not as one big family, so they didn’t always celebrate on Christmas day. Kody wonders which of his kids would move to Flagstaff, and said most likely Caleb because of the mountains, deer and elk. Christine said Aspyn drops some hints they may move. 

The older girls living at home (Aurora, Breanna, Ysabel, Gwen and Savannah) are asked what they think about one home in a couch session. Aurora likes the idea. Ysabel said it would create a lot of drama, and they are all loud, and have different bedtimes, she said Robyn’s kids are night owls, where as her mom (Christine) and kids go to bed earlier, and no one knows how to be quiet. Robyn said during her courtship with Kody (when the family was living at the one home in Lehi) she spent time at the home, and liked how the kids interacted, she saw them work as one big family, and wanted that plural family experience for her kids. The sister wives later shared their stories of living together and she realized it wasn’t what she thought, and some sister wives had strong opinions. Janelle loves community and feels the one house offers that while providing autonomy and privacy. In a solo interview Meri said she is careful what she says, waiting to hear what others think, would rather let it go, let them decide and if it is in her favor that would be good, and she can avoid having to say how she feels. She said is that cheating? She said she has a strong opinion, but if it differs from the other 3 wives her opinion doesn’t really matter because majority rules. I don’t know why Meri is being coy, she doesn’t want this, and she said in a previous episode being in Las Vegas (during the rental debacle) was nice because she didn’t have to see Kody’s easy relationships with his other wives. Janelle said there will be objections based on past experiences. Christine said she loves to be in charge of her own domain, and living together puts the kibosh on intimacy, and you can’t be physically affectionate outside of the bedrooms in one house. Janelle said in the Lehi house Meri was above Christine and it was not healthy, there was no privacy. 

Christmas day starts at Robyn’s at 9AM, and this is where they do stockings, the kids exchange gifts (draw a name from a hat, each kid can’t get gifts for 17 siblings), and get their gifts from their parents. A producer asked the older girls in the couch session, are there any secret polygamist Christmas traditions, and they said no. Dayton gave Kody a megaphone, and he uses it to speak to the crowd, and says thanks for being here, thanks for being born, you’re all awesome. Hunter says thanks for conceiving me, and Kody responds that’s a memory, believe me, and the crowd laughs. Christine said Janelle is blushing, and said Kody didn’t even have a pony tail back then. Kody said it is a funny joke as an innuendo, and Robyn said you hear Janelle purr when Kody has the pony tail. Robyn said she had heard Kody was a grinch with Christmas, and Christine said Kody said let’s call it quits on Christmas for a few years. Kody’s dad struggled with the finances of Christmas, and Kody said he had to grow out of those voices (of his dad) in his head. Caleb opens a tiny shirt with Axel, and it says I am going to be a big brother. The crowd was thrilled, and Janelle knew ahead of time. Maddie is 6-8 weeks pregnant per Janelle. Kody is surprised and grateful, and said Axel makes him feel like he can stop having kids. Robyn’s house seemed have more tables and chairs for the meal (more than Meri’s and Christine’s), and Robyn said we need enough space to gather, and Kody replied I have a plan. 

I am not sure when this conversation about selling the homes took place, but my guess is December 2018 or early January 2019. The adults gather at Meri’s home to discuss the homes in Las Vegas. Plenty of people are coming through the homes, but they have had no offers, and at this time only Janelle and Christine’s homes are on the market (according to Zillow Meri and Robyn’s homes weren’t listed until 1/17/2019). Janelle said the market has changed, it is a buyers market, and there is a lot of inventory, so she suggests a $40,000 price drop of both homes, and price Meri and Robyn’s homes when they hit the market based on the new prices of Janelle and Christine’s homes.  Christine is disappointed she said her home has been on the market six months (listed in July 2018 per Zillow). She is mad, and wishes Janelle would have discussed a price reduction just with her instead of doing it in a group setting. Christine said if another person (not a family member) was the broker she would have gotten the recommendation to drop the price alone, she wants the information first, so she can mull it over, and then discuss it with the family. Christine said this in a solo couch interview, not sure if she ever told Janelle. Christine feels like when the decision is presented to the group, it is the group’s decision, not hers. Robyn said Janelle is in a tough spot, and relationships can be tricky. Janelle said she is sick of double payments, it has drained her and she is ready to close this chapter. Janelle said she is going back for open houses nearly every weekend, and thanks her family for helping with the kids so they don’t become latch key kids. I think it was a missed opportunity to not present/capitalize on the sister wives helping with Janelle’s kids as a built in bonus of this lifestyle. Robyn suggested a 10K or 20K reduction instead of starting with 40K, and Kody said he wants to take the loss and do the 40K. Robyn feels they aren’t working as a team, the money from the sales of the homes will be used collectively, so all decisions need to be made as a team. Janelle said they can recoup some of the loss since she is the listing angst, and they aren’t paying as much out. Janelle said income made separate from the family gets contributed to the family pot, but she has to keep her commission, she can’t distribute some to sellers, so she will keep the commission and not draw from the family pot for a few months. Janelle said she offered to be the listing agent and if the homes had sold quickly it would have been great, but they haven’t, it wasn’t successful, now they have to take less money (drop the asking price), and she is the bearer of bad news. Kody said he has been waiting two months for Janelle to say this— it seems to me Kody wants Janelle to be the bad guy. Robyn said she wasn’t thrilled about the idea of moving, Kody sold her and other wives on the move with the fact that they had equity in the homes, and when they sold the homes they had that equity to provide for the future, and by reducing the homes prices they aren’t in as good a financial spot (my words, but the general gist). Robyn told Kody reducing the listing price is counter to everything, the equity in the homes is what set them up for the move. Robyn said Kody hasn’t been saying this, Kody said Janelle was saying it (I am not entirely sure what Robyn meant, but I think Kody has presented the idea that Janelle wants to drop the asking price of Christine and Janelle’s homes, and Kody agreed with the idea, but presented it to Robyn as only Janelle’s idea). Robyn repeats you told us the sale of the Vegas homes would make all this money, and now you are saying to cut our losses. Robyn told Kody he flips where he is constantly and it is giving her whiplash. Kody is now pouting, Janelle asks him if he is mad, he says no and Janelle in a solo couch session said why did she ask, she can’t care how he feels, this needed to be said. Robyn said this is not how a plural family should operate, she needs to go home and chill. My takeaway is Kody wants Janelle as the listing agent to deliver the bad news, and take the brunt of the disappointment, frustration, anger. Kody knew this would piss Robyn off, and wanted it to be all on Janelle, even though he agrees it had to be done. Kody is the one who proposed this idea, sold the wives on it, and now it isn’t going smoothly and there are feelings, and he doesn’t want to deal with them. Janelle said the good part of going to the open houses is she gets to see Axel. 

Kody decides to stay behind and talk to Meri, just the two of them. Kody said he made everyone upset with the earlier conversation, he is nervous, he watched the Lehi house lose half its value, they kept it and rented it out, and Meri said they lost money on it. Meri said it is a polygamous house, not a design that appeals to everyone. So why Kody thinks building one in Flagstaff for a lot more money is a good idea boggles my mind especially if he had a tough time selling the one in Lehi. Kody wants to cut losses, because he loves Flagstaff, wants to live there, and if they don’t sell the Las Vegas homes they will be forced to move back. Meri wonders why he is talking to her about it. Kody said in a solo couch interview he talked to Meri because she is a captive audience, he needs to get this off his chest, and she is the only one listening to it. Meri thinks he is making these decisions based on fear, and thinks he looks like an idiot, that he is going down the rabbit hole. Kody said he feels they are out of time, he is in full panic mode, but doesn’t feel he is a bit dramatic, and Meri had no idea he was feeling this way. Kody told Meri he is telling her because she won’t freak out because she didn’t want to move to Flagstaff in the first place. Meri said I was fine with moving to Flagstaff, so I don’t know what he is talking about— more of their crummy communication. Kody said they managed to put it off a little too long (my guess is putting their houses on the market), and Meri asks could we have done anything differently? Kody said his original goal (before he presented the Flagstaff move) was to move to St. George, UT, he found homes, made a presentation, Meri had no idea. Kody said he is so mad, he wanted to go back to Utah and blames the legislature, not his wives because they were afraid to move there. Meri said it doesn’t matter where we moved, it would not have happened fast. Meri said she will talk to Janelle (about what I don’t know) with Kody there. Kody said he and Janelle will contradict each other, and Meri disagrees, and said they have the same brain when it comes to finance. Kody thinks they should go lower, a $40,000 reduction might not be enough, and he doesn’t think Christine’s will sell for as much as Meri’s. Kody said he will want to sell, and Robyn will want to hold out. Kody feels his handling of this is immature because he is lacking faith, he gambled big with hope and is struggling to hold onto faith. 

Next episode Valentine’s Day. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 12
  • Love 1

Everything and everyone is awkward about this show. 
Meri just clearly doesn’t want to be there?? So is she? She is young enough to leave and start living her best life.. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

Everything and everyone is awkward about this show. 
Meri just clearly doesn’t want to be there?? So is she? She is young enough to leave and start living her best life.. 

Yeah, but that religious upbringing can be a hard thing to shake.  She's been taught that she herself cannot get herself into heaven.  The only one who can invite her in is her husband.  And her husband can only get to the highest level of heaven if he has 3 or more wives.  That's a lot of pressure.  And when you've sacrificed so much for so long, it's hard to admit that it might not be true and walk away.  Plus she'd have to reconcile her change in beliefs with how her parents and her siblings all live.  That's a lot to lose.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

Yeah, but that religious upbringing can be a hard thing to shake.  She's been taught that she herself cannot get herself into heaven.  The only one who can invite her in is her husband.  And her husband can only get to the highest level of heaven if he has 3 or more wives.  That's a lot of pressure.  And when you've sacrificed so much for so long, it's hard to admit that it might not be true and walk away.  Plus she'd have to reconcile her change in beliefs with how her parents and her siblings all live.  That's a lot to lose.

I'm not so sure Meri is that deep in the polygamy BS anymore. She comes across as very disillusioned to me. IIRC she struggled with infertility and instead of getting any fertility treatments for Meri, Kody just kept having more kids with Janelle & Christine & then Robyn. Meri was very hurt by this, she spent a long time waiting for Kody to say "ok it is your turn" and her turn never came. I remember her conversation with Mariah where she told her that, she wasn't going to try to have another baby after all, she and Kody decided (but in reality I think it was Kody who just couldn't be bothered). I often wondered if Kody didn't get into polygamy because of Meri's infertility. 

I honestly don't think Kody would care if Meri left, and would probably prefer it because he could then bring in yet another wife to have even more kids with.  Am I the only one who thinks Kodi will try to get another wife? Robyn is done having kids now, and I think he would love to keep having kids. I don't think the current wives will go for a 5th wife, but I think if one left, they would let him go for another 4th (if that makes sense).  I think the only thing keeping Meri in the family are the younger kids, she has a great relationship with them and they her, and leaving would sever those ties. 

I'm torn with Meri, I want to be on her side 100%, but she can be too much sometimes. I want to yell at her MAKE UP YOUR MIND, you are either IN or your are OUT, stop pussyfooting around. That is my biggest issue with her, either commit to staying or get out.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Natalie22 said:

Sunk cost fallacy. She’s been in for so long, with serious religious indoctrination, and likely believes that if Kody doesn’t call her secret name to get her to heaven, her soul will be stuck in Mormon limbo.

I don’t think her infertility had anything to do with their polygamous leanings. Kody’s dad was a polygamist and married Janelle’s mom. This is what they know, and they’re still trying to make it happen. A key theme throughout polygamist Mormon writings is that the tension is okay — it’s making them better Mormons and they’re working things out before Kody (or whatever patriarch) gets his own planet in the afterlife, where the wives will be pregnant nonstop.

They’ve all opted in, and that would be a lot to back away from. Christine was so immersed in polygamous culture that being a third wife was her GOAL. She’d already seen the tension between first and second wives, and wanted to be the fun, cute newcomer. Robyn also chose to be with Kody, despite spending time with him before marriage! (Spending time alone with him would have certainly dissuaded me — but then again, I share few of their ideals, other than a love for family.)

I’m cable-free and can’t watch anymore, so these recaps are much appreciated. I haven’t seen Meri’s current expressions of her latest level of unhappiness, but I’m sure they’re there. Can’t especially recall any happy times for Meri that we’ve seen.

She’s in this because she believes in those polygamous Mormon ideals.  All those wives sharing one dick — and it’s not like Kody’s personality somehow makes up for that. But he’s got an entire patriarchal religion behind him, and the idea that these wives depend on him to get to heaven. 

Edited by apandaaries
  • Upvote 10

I’ve never seen what the wives see in Kody but figured it had to be something- but now seeing that he’s an animal hater (didn’t want any pets), I can literally see no redeeming qualities in this man! Nothing. 
That’s all I wanted to share. ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:53 PM, apandaaries said:

.All those wives sharing one dick — and it’s not like Kody’s personality somehow makes up for that. 

On 2/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, mstee said:

I’ve never seen what the wives see in Kody but figured it had to be something- but now seeing that he’s an animal hater (didn’t want any pets), I can literally see no redeeming qualities in this man! Nothing. 
That’s all I wanted to share. ?

I so agree with both of you! An enduring mystery.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Everyone seems so miserable this season, even more than usual. It took me a while to figure out why it’s so apparent now when they’ve always struggled with these things. I think it’s because there’s no big event happening. The last few seasons have been focused on weddings and babies, but this season it’s back to the moving drama. They live so far apart, the kids don’t see enough of each other, etc.. I haven’t noticed the wives complaining about Kody’s absence as much as they used to, but maybe that’s coming. Still, it’s depressing every week to watch a bunch of grown women marinate in misery of their own making.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

UK snarker here, another one just wanting to say thank you for the fab recaps. We cancelled our SKY subscription a while ago so no TLC, but some of you are doing great work keeping the rest of us up to speed. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2020 at 12:05 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

She comes across as very disillusioned to me.

Meri still isn't going anywhere, she is deep in the kool-aid.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:41 PM, mstee said:

I can literally see no redeeming qualities in this man! Nothing. 

He doesn't reject his lesbian daughter, that's something, especially for a fundy. Other than that, I got nuthin'.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Season 14 Episode 6 An Awkward Valentine’s Day

Meri and Robyn finally put their homes on the market. Two weeks later Robyn got an offer, she countered, and they accepted, and the closing is soon. They got a new realtor, he agreed with the price drop on Christine and Janelle’s homes. Janelle is glad to be done with the listings and said it was taking a toll being gone so much. Christine is disappointed she has had no interest in her home which has been on the market for six months. 

The adults gather to discuss the one home idea. Kody is discouraged, said not all of his wives were receptive, and that no one has discussed it or expressed curiosity  since he presented it on Christmas Eve. Kody said he is nervous how attached he is to the idea of the one home. He loves the idea of having Christmas and holidays at the one home, and feels it will make the older kids want to come home. Meri doesn’t think Kody’s common area is big enough. Christine said she thinks the house is beautiful and is being careful, and is trying to be positive before she bashes the whole idea.Christine doesn’t want to bother discussing the little details and layout if they don’t agree on one home first. Christine said she is joking a lot of Kody saying his house vs our house to ease the tension. Solomon is worried Kody is moving out and getting his own house because Kody presented it as his house, and Kody didn’t clarify it to Solomon, and Robyn is annoyed. Christine said the older kids pointed out how far apart the homes are in Flagstaff, they said Vegas was a better setup than the current situation, and Christine said the older kids probably think we are a bit broken. Kody said in order for the county to approve the permit for the house they can only have one entrance, the county does not want multi family dwellings, so one entrance is likely non negotiable. Robyn said one entrance is hard, and Christine agrees. Christine said they had the one entrance in WY (so many years ago), and it was not fun having everyone see all of your business. She also made a big deal of leaving for a date with Kody, and one entrance makes it like you are parading it in front of your sister wives, Robyn has the same concern. Janelle in a solo interview said don’t look out the damn door if you don’t want to see Kody leaving with another wife. She asked why are you even watching, and said are you going to stand at the door all night watching his comings and goings? Janelle said unless you are really loud no one is going to hear what you are saying in the common area, and if you are loud enough to be heard than you deserve to be heard. Meri doesn’t like the entrance. 

Christine acknowledges Kody put a lot of effort into the one home, and she has put off the conversation, and said no one wants to discuss it. Robyn said Kody using the term “his house" has hit a nerve, and feels he has a space of his own in each home. Kody said having one entrance is necessary to get the permit for the home, and by having one entrance you are saving money, having four entrances would take up square footage, and cost more. Meri comes up with the super reasonable and affordable idea of adding an elevator from the garage to the first floor. Last episode Kody said the garage has ten bays, and is under the main floor. Janelle said in Lehi there was a more organic flow, more than the cul de sac. Janelle feels living in one home makes a difference, and said the older kids have a different (stronger) bond than the younger kids, and there is a dramatic difference in the bonds. Christine said the older kids like the idea of the one house, the younger kids that are currently living at home want four separate homes. Christine said the kids living at home really enjoy the one on one connection they get with mom and dad in separate homes. Meri said she can see how one home could work, she said it can be so good, it can be so crappy. 

Kody said they decided to be a family, and you can decide if you aren’t anymore. Kody said he wants to discuss all the pros and cons and can see if a wife chose to leave she would want an asset to sell or be bought out. Kody said what if he died one year after they moved into the one home. Janelle said they would use his life insurance to pay it off, and Kody said the life insurance wouldn’t be enough. Kody said they have to think of the future and inheritance rights. Robyn respects that Kody is discussing this, she knows what it is like to be stuck in a marriage, and has seen wives in plural marriage want to move on from the marriage, and doesn’t want anyone to feel trapped saying they all have free agency, even Kody. I wish they would elaborate on if they have drawn up legal contracts (or have simply discussed) how they would handle a wife leaving, Kody’s death, one of them having a major health issue (stroke, cancer, dementia). 

Janelle says she wants the one home. Christine said she feels the complete opposite of Janelle, and does not want the one home. Christine said it is not personal against her sister wives, she just likes herself tons better living alone, confident in being a mom, and a master of her own world in the cul de sac. Meri said she has seen so much good living together and part of her feels rejection from Christine’s response, and doesn’t know if it is personal, but that is how it feels. Christine said she will never go back to living in one home, Janelle is frustrated and said we are at an impasse and if that is the case it won’t move forward. Robyn does an excellent job appearing neutral (not taking a stance) saying she has never had the experience of one home, and says she sees both sides. Robyn said she doesn’t know what is the better option, it puts pressure on the relationships which has the ability to make them stronger or break them apart. Kody wants them to think about it with an open mind, Robyn suggests prayer, and Kody said table it for now, and asks if anyone wants the plans. Meri has not taken a side.  

Robyn introduced fondue to the family, and since she joined the family they made Valentine’s day a family holiday where they do fondue. Prior to Robyn they ignored Valentine’s day. Kody said it is a monogamous day, and that they have to accommodate. Janelle said think is it expensive for monogamous couples, try times four. Kody gets a different floral arrangement for each wife, and hands them out at the fondue dinner— it doesn’t seem romantic by any stretch. Robyn has gifts for all the adults. Kody said plural marriage ruins romance, Robyn said that is horse crap, it can if you let it, and Christine said it can ruin romance if you are in one house. Robyn said prior to joining the family the culture was of no affection in front of  other wives, she said Kody wants more, but can’t. Robyn gave Kody a hug and kiss in the kitchen after receiving her flowers with the other adults around (not sure that anyone was watching). Robyn said she wishes their approach on physical affection could evolve and Christine and Janelle agreed, but Christine gave the disclaimer only on a good day. Christine said when she is secure in her relationship the physical affection with Kody and another wife doesn’t bother her, but it matters when she is insecure. Robyn wishes they were more open with affection and acted accordingly, and didn’t seem to care it goes against their general no public affection understanding. 

The group celebrates Kody’s 51st birthday. Kody said 50 is the new 35, and he is in better shape now. Christine got shirts and pillows for each wife that say home is where the wives are. A while ago Kody said he didn’t marry a girl from his hometown, so since he has been married he has never had a home (good luck following that logic). None of the wives live in their hometowns, but all agreed home is where your family is. The wives all put on the shirts to show Kody, he chuckles and Robyn told him he needed the reminder. Robyn said Flagstaff is home, Kody was a jerk, and mockingly said if Flagstaff is home he can’t leave, and Robyn said you can leave, you have free agency. Kody said until the homes in Vegas are sold Flagstaff isn’t really home. Mariah and Audrey surprise the crowd by attending, Meri had no idea they were coming. Kody’s birthday is a holiday, they try to get the whole family together, and Aspyn, Maddie, Hunter and Mariah all came in to celebrate. 

Kody is reading a birthday card aloud, and he reads adoring family, Mariah says growing family, Kody said do you want it to grow, and Mariah said yes, by one, and shows the crowd Audrey’s engagement ring. Christine said finally. Meri is so excited, and said Mariah is a stinker because she had no idea about any of it, and looks hurt she wasn’t in the loop. They flash back to when Mariah came out to the parents, and Meri said we were raised in a church that does not accept gay marriage, but all the Brown adults do. Early on in the show (long before Mariah came out) one of the parents said given the number of children they have it is likely one of them could be gay, and they absolutely would love and accept that child with open arms. Mariah said they started dating two years ago at the women’s march, so when they went two years later she felt it was the perfect place to propose. Christine asks when are you thinking of getting married, and Mariah said three years, she wants to be done with school, and not have the stress of planning a wedding while being in school, will not start planning for another year. Kody said if you are serious just get married, and feels being in school is a poor excuse, and said both girls already have a degree. Kody felt his wives were hypocrites for staying quiet on the length of time because they all got married quickly. Robyn said just celebrate the engagement, but Kody can’t get over it. Meri gives Mariah and Audrey several hugs which is cool with Audrey, but seems to annoy Mariah. 

Maddie attended the birthday party, and said Caleb got a job in North Carolina (no details about the job), and when he accepted he knew he had to leave quickly leaving Maddie to pack up their home in Vegas. Maddie is moving to Flagstaff for a few weeks to one month, and brought a trailer that she asks for help unloading. Janelle is thrilled to have Maddie home for a few weeks, and to help with Axel. Janelle enjoyed the birthday party, and said they have been lazy about getting together for family dinners, and wants to do them more. Kody said we are not getting together at all— thank you for your honesty Kody! Janelle said they did’t get together as organically in the cul de sac as they did in the one home in Lehi. She said it wasn’t utopia, but it was brilliant and beautiful and their family isn’t as close now, and will continue to drift apart if not in one home. 

Next episode Kody sits down with the wives to make a pro/con list of the one home, and pushes them to be honest. We know Christine is against it and Janelle is for it. Meri isn’t coming straight out and saying she is against, but we all know she is. Robyn so far has skillfully avoided taking a side, next episode she may have to commit to one, but my guess is she doesn’t want it either. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

Watch they do the one house despite only Kody and Janelle wanting it. 

If I were them, I'd have 5 houses, four big ones and one that is just a one bedroom with a huge living room, dining room and kitchen that they can use when they all get together. 

Although, it sounds like none of them want to get together much. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Their Vegas setup was perfect and they are fools for dismantling it. It's ridiculous that after 25 years, they still are figuing out stuff like how much affection Kdouche should show each wife. And Meri looks so over everything when she's on that couch with the other wives. She's still game playing about the big house. She is hurt that Mariah didn't give her advance notice of her proposal. They can say they are one family till they are blue in the face, but they aren't. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

Interesting article that references Sister Wives and legislation in Utah "The new proposal would significantly lower the potential penalties for consenting adult polygamists but keep harsher penalties for abuse and other crimes sometimes linked to polygamy." https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/polygamists-may-not-face-jail-time-under-new-utah-bill

When Kody talked to Meri one on one (after the adults gathered to discuss dropping the price on Janelle and Christine's homes before Meri and Robyn's were on the market) Kody said he had considered moving back to Utah, to St. George, but his wives were scared because of the current legislation. Well the law may change so now watch Kody say to his wives well since we haven't built on Coyote Pass, so let's consider moving to Utah! 

• Upvote 3

It’s funny to watch Meri with the family when they all are talking on the couch. The others will be laughing or making faces and she just has the same disinterested look the entire time. I wonder why she sticks around considering she has no kids at home and has said that she and Kody aren’t intimate anymore. If he’s not even coming by on his 4 day rotation, then what is the point in staying? Maybe it’s just for the show? I would feel so lonely if I were her- being on the fringe on the family. I’d want to be somewhere I was wanted and not with a husband that didn’t want to spend time with me. Seems like a sad situation. I don’t blame her for staying busy with traveling and her bed and breakfast. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, mstee said:

It’s funny to watch Meri with the family when they all are talking on the couch. The others will be laughing or making faces and she just has the same disinterested look the entire time. I wonder why she sticks around considering she has no kids at home and has said that she and Kody aren’t intimate anymore. If he’s not even coming by on his 4 day rotation, then what is the point in staying? Maybe it’s just for the show? I would feel so lonely if I were her- being on the fringe on the family. I’d want to be somewhere I was wanted and not with a husband that didn’t want to spend time with me. Seems like a sad situation. I don’t blame her for staying busy with traveling and her bed and breakfast. 

To me it seems fairly easy to stay. If she stays she really almost never even has to see the family or Kody. They clearly spend almost no time together. It’s like visiting cousins or grandparents, you just gotta show up every few weeks or once a month or so and put in an hour or two. Then she can go home to her McMansion where she has TV fame that floats her B&B and Lularoe scheme and TV money that pays the bills. It’s an easy living. 

I’m sure if “Sam” had panned out she would have just went to him for intimacy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to New Season: Meri, Meri and More Meri