IGNORED

New Season: Meri, Meri and More Meri

Tatar-tot

On 1/10/2020 at 3:41 AM, AliceInFundyland said:

But they were also right when she said Gwen remarked that she'll be out of high school before any houses are built. And no adult kids are moving down there. It kills me when Janelle and Christine are smart. They know better than his nonsense. They should have stopped him.I hope they're periodically sampling a bottle of wine. If not,ladies..this is the time.

So what have they accomplished exactly? The culdesac was golden. Truely, Solomon and Ariella are goung to grow up on 15 acres with 4 large houses. Eventually.

That was my thought, too! They kept saying the move was for the kids and Kody kept going on about needing a good place for them to grow up as if he still had 19 kids at home. In reality the only kids growing up there will be Truly, Solomon, and Ariella.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Season 14 Episode 3 Lonely in Flagstaff (last week was 2 episodes in 2 hours)

Kody said he carried emotional baggage from house to house (in the cul de sac I presume), and said living at Coyote Pass may relieve the burden. No wait, he also said he finds it cleansing when driving between the homes in Flagstaff so he has time to decompress. Kody then says polygamy is a dichotomy of contradictions, and he needs to figure out how to balance himself when moving from one wife’s house to the next. He’s been married for 20+ years to multiple wives, wouldn’t want to be rushing into these things. 

Meri rehashes the rental saga, and said she was asked to leave because of her family structure. Meri moved back to her home in Las Vegas for six weeks until her next rental was ready. Side note in this episode Christine and Janelle have their homes on the market to sell, Meri spent six weeks in Vegas, why is her home not on the market now? It was easy for Meri to be in Las Vegas so she didn’t have to see Kody have an easy relationship with his other wives while hers is strained. Later we learn the wives and families really aren’t getting together other than filming, so not sure about this excuse. Meri’s new rental is enormous! She said it was $175 more a month then the first rental, 3 times the size, has an elevator and a water feature. It has a windy driveway, and Kody attempting to back the moving truck up the driveway, and the truck shaking back and forth made me nervous to watch. The house has two master bedrooms on different levels, and Kody says man he wishes they could have had that set up earlier when they were “hard living.” They show a picture of a three bedroom single wide trailer Kody and the three wives shared early in their marriage, and Christine said we just needed more space, and she doesn’t want to talk about that time. 

Janelle initiated a lunch for the four wives. Last season Janelle said doing lunch with the sister wives was boring (she prefers activities), so Christine made a big “dill” about Janelle initiating it (I would say it was for the story line). This is two and a half months after they moved to Flagstaff, Meri said she has been in the new rental for two weeks. Meri didn’t sleep well before the lunch, she is guarded with her relationships, her walls are up (nothing new here). Janelle said she is going stir crazy, her car doesn’t leave the garage for a day or two, feels isolation from the family, starts to question why they are living there, why they’re doing this, and needs to see people she cares about. Janelle follows it up with I love my life, love plural marriage. Christine struggles with isolation, felt like the wives were living their lives and didn’t need her, were mad at her, which she said is complete fiction she invented. To me Robyn seems just fine, perfectly content with living her own life. 

So Meri is sleeping on a mattress on the floor because she is living all alone, no kid, and she can’t move and put together king size bedroom furniture by herself. Robyn said Meri needs to hire the guy Janelle used to help her move. Wait, what? Yes, according to Janelle, Kody is exhausted, so she hired help to finish up a few things. Robyn said she doesn’t want to move Meri, she has a ton of stairs, they would probably damage her stuff while moving. Robyn said Meri should hire Janelle’s guy for the big stuff, and then Meri can have a moving/unboxing party and the family will help with the smaller stuff. Meri said she wants family to move her, she doesn’t want to hire people. Christine said Gwen and Ysabel told Meri they were happy to help her move after school, just tell them when, and Meri never called. Meri feels the love from her family is conditional, they will do something fun, but not help if you need something done. Let me point out again Janelle who has a good relationship with Kody, and two children at home (including a strong teenage son) chose to hire help. Robyn said Kody is very busy (doing what is never specified) and it isn’t personal but he isn’t right there, that is what it is to be a plural wife. 

Janelle said she sees Kody a couple times a week, and Kody makes an effort to call the kids. Meri said they hated it for two years in Las Vegas before the homes were built, and they were only a mile apart, what made you think you wouldn’t hate it now especially when you are further apart? Good question Meri, why did no one consider this before the family moved?? Christine said and Janelle agreed this time we have an end goal (Coyote Pass), we didn’t when we first moved to Las Vegas, so this is easier for her knowing the end goal. Every morning the adults all stop what they are doing and pray at 9AM so even though they are living separately they are brought together in prayer. Janelle has texted Christine a few times to go walking with her, and they have. Meri said she would come to Flagstaff, stay at a hotel near Robyn, and Robyn said Meri never came to see me. Meri said Robyn never invited her, and Robyn said she didn’t know she was right there on the path, and Meri said she knew I was in town and no one reached out. I get the impression Meri feels the sister wives should reach out to her. Meri made some comments about doing things on her own, and Janelle said we just ignore those comments, but she may have to address it with Meri at some point. I don’t think any of the sister wives want to listen to Meri cry about how she doesn’t feel included or part of the family if she doesn’t put in the effort either. 

Last season Kody had plans drawn up for the mega compound house, and now he had (his words) photo realistic stills made, clearly money well spent since not one wife wants this. Kody said if he has to put up the money for four homes, he might as well build a castle. The mega compound home includes a central kitchen and living room that Kody calls his. He feels this is a great idea so no wife feels her living room and kitchen are imposed upon when hosting the whole family, or guests. According to Kody the biggest challenge a polygamous family can have is living in one home. I thought it was the legal ramifications in Utah (potentially facing 5 years in prison), but what do I know? Kody is going to share this idea at Christmas when the older kids are home because they lived in one house (over seven years ago), and he needs their help to sell it to the wives. In the meantime Kody shared it with his BFF Nathan (he officiated Aspyn and Mitch’s wedding) so someone could root for this idea, because we know his wives won’t. 

Spoiler

18EE5454-A7B6-47B3-8BA4-ED987B9C6855.jpeg.67392a8cf2c43321b6ba93bfa23bdd2a.jpeg

Spoiler

D00EC860-CFAD-4BFB-B653-14F5DC4ABB43.jpeg.719fbff5b92a9860a5e15a0fbec7ade2.jpeg

I am sorry photos are upside down, I am a tech dummy. 

Edited by HA88
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 11
  • Love 2

Thanks for the recap, @HA88 - I haven't seen last night's episode yet (forgot to tape it).  There's plenty of room for Meri to stay in Robyn's huge rental while she's looking for a new place. Preserving the "family culture" was the big concern when they first moved to Vegas, before they moved into the cul-de-sac. I'm surprised TLC is willing to rehash that plotline again.

• I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Flagstaff doesn't really seem like it fits their "lifestyle" of ... I don't know. Have they ever expressed any interest in actually doing anything besides having kids, shopping, and fighting over time with K-Douche? Flagstaff is kine of a hipster place and it's got a higher COL than Vegas (I would guess, I'm not actually looking anything up.)

@HA88 what's the deal with your screen name? I know 88 is a white supremacist thing but that doesn't really fit here. Am I missing something? Thanks for the recap. I only watch these people sporadically, if they happen to be on at the gym at the same time I am at the gym.

I understand nothing about these people and this show just makes me fee confused about polygamy.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

what's the deal with your screen name? I know 88 is a white supremacist thing but that doesn't really fit here. Am I missing something?

When I was signing up for FJ I tried a few names that were already taken, and being wildly unimaginative I decided on HA for headaches (something I am plagued by) and 88 for my birth year. I later learned 88 can stand for HH Heil Hilter. I won't ever use it in the future, but I had already created my FJ name, and didn't want to violate the rules by creating a new user name. I hope anyone who reads my posts sees there is nothing to suggest I have any type of white supremacist leanings; I find such beliefs abhorrent. 

51 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Flagstaff doesn't really seem like it fits their "lifestyle" of ... I don't know. Have they ever expressed any interest in actually doing anything besides having kids, shopping, and fighting over time with K-Douche? Flagstaff is kine of a hipster place and it's got a higher COL than Vegas (I would guess, I'm not actually looking anything up.)

Kody said he wanted a conservative state, but a liberal town. How they decided Flagstaff was the best fit I don't think we will ever truly know.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 8

I feel that they're edging closer to more truths.

The elephant at that lunch was Kody and Meri's relationship. Mer can't handle being around the family and watching him with her sister wives. And she can't talk about it with them.

That's a typical wall/dynamic in all polygamist families. As it should be. Come on though people. Talk about it.

I'm still not proMeri. Wonder if she might be going through menopause. (no snark)

Sad. This episode made me cry. Yes I have a few issues. I'm projecting. ?

Flagstaff housing is ridiculous.

I hope we hear lots from all the kids about Castle Kody. Delusional moron.

Eventually he will need to sell off Coyote Pass and maybe make profit?

Leave a little something for his grandkids. Again I say, try to build to the family you currently have and be practical towards the future. They could do something with that. Land is land.

Insert Picard face-palming meme.

I @HA88

had no idea about the white supremacy thing. But I still use the ok gesture  ? I don't think you need to worry too much. You've been here for a bit. Passed the sniff test, as it were. Recapping a show or a vlog or something is always a sign of good, not evil!

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, HA88 said:

When I was signing up for FJ I tried a few names that were already taken, and being wildly unimaginative I decided on HA for headaches (something I am plagued by) and 88 for my birth year. I later learned 88 can stand for HH Heil Hilter. I won't ever use it in the future, but I had already created my FJ name, and didn't want to violate the rules by creating a new user name. I hope anyone who reads my posts sees there is nothing to suggest I have any type of white supremacist leanings; I find such beliefs abhorrent. 

Thanks for the explaination, I thought it would be something innocent but the H with the 88 left me a bit confused. I didn't think you'd actually be a white supremacist but we get weirdos sometimes - does anyone remember the poster named "rayne" (I think?  She often talked about her time posting on Stormfront.) 

1 hour ago, HA88 said:

Kody said he wanted a conservative state, but a liberal town. How they decided Flagstaff was the best fit I don't think we will ever truly know.

It's a weird decision for me. Flagstaff is just so.. pretentious? IDK. It's hipstery, it's outdoorsy, it's everything I should love but I don't. I guess I should be thankful that they didn't drag their annoying selves north and park in the Mat-Su Valley. Granted, TLC might not have let them leave the lower 48, even if they wanted to. 

• Upvote 2

I lived in Flagstaff for a decade and ended up moving away one month before the Browns came to town. I wish I was there to hear how locals felt about them living there! (My remaining friends in Flagstaff aren't the kind of people who watch reality TV, and therefore have no clue who they are.) Moving there was such a weird choice for the Browns, and I don't understand any of the reasoning they've put out there for the move. I don't expect any of their adult children to settle there either, except for maybe Dayton. One of the biggest reasons why I left was the job market: unless you work for NAU, the hospital, or Gore it's hard to make enough money to afford living in the most expensive rental market in Arizona. I worked at businesses that catered to tourists my whole time there, and saw the writing on the wall that I was on my way to being priced out, even with the wage increase legislation we got. Unless any of the Brown kids work in those industries it's incredibly hard to find a good job in town, unfortunately. I'm back in college right now in my new home, but I miss Flagstaff every day and hope to move back once I'm done with school here. Hopefully I'll be able to get a job in my field- having a graduate degree from a well renowned school should help with that!

One of the other things that stands out to me is their worry about being seen as freaks for being polygamists in Flagstaff. Given that most people's experiences with polygamists in Northern Arizona is the ones from Colorado City (they come to Flagstaff to go shopping and to the hospital), that makes a little sense. But it's also true that that means people in Flagstaff are familiar with polygamy so it's not like their minds will be blown meeting the Browns or anything. I think the bigger issue is more likely the filming thing- Merri's neighbors did not sign up to be on a TV show or deal with film crews/street closures/whatever other things would go on. While I agree that they shouldn't have called the cops, I'm not really surprised.

And thanks to them showing that giant map of Flagstaff with pins for all of their houses, now everyone knows exactly where they live since it still is a rather small town!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

We speculated that Dayton was a motivating factor for Robyn if nobody else. She was the first wife pushing Flagstaff. She worked Kody. Then Kody worked Christine.

Janelle is the most agreeable/flexible/optimistic/pragmatic.

Then Meri.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

They are all such idiots. 

I hope TLC paid for the castle pictures but they probably didn’t so it was a total waste of money. Even if the wives agree to live together it will take years and more money than they can even conceive of to actually build it.

I wonder if Meri renting that gigantic house was a way to attract more people to her down line to sell Lularo. The size of the house certainly seems to scream wealth ( regardless of how well she is actually doing financially ). I would feel lonely and scared living by myself there but maybe image and greed makes it worthwhile for her.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, indianabones said:

. I think the bigger issue is more likely the filming thing- Merri's neighbors did not sign up to be on a TV show or deal with film crews/street closures/whatever other things would go on. While I agree that they shouldn't have called the cops, I'm not really surprised.

I agree totally with this.  I think the tv thing was a much bigger dill as Robyn says than who is sleeping with who and why.     How long have they actually been there now  - as opposed to film time?  Will it be two years this summer?   Or?  

• I Agree 2
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, indianabones said:

I think the bigger issue is more likely the filming thing- Merri's neighbors did not sign up to be on a TV show or deal with film crews/street closures/whatever other things would go on. While I agree that they shouldn't have called the cops, I'm not really surprised.

I had wondered, as Flag is pretty open minded.  I think you're right.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, SweetLaurel said:
13 hours ago, indianabones said:

I think the bigger issue is more likely the filming thing- Merri's neighbors did not sign up to be on a TV show or deal with film crews/street closures/whatever other things would go on. While I agree that they shouldn't have called the cops, I'm not really surprised.

I agree totally with this.  I think the tv thing was a much bigger dill as Robyn says than who is sleeping with who and why.     How long have they actually been there now  - as opposed to film time?  Will it be two years this summer?   Or?  

100% agree! I have two friends on opposite sides of the state that live in neighborhoods (one gated, one isn't) that are nuts about parking in their streets. One you can park on the street during daylight, but come sun down you are getting ticketed, the other tickets you as soon as they can. Another friend's driveway has a sidewalk cut through it, and you couldn't block the sidewalk. All of this to say the Browns probably arrived with 1,678 vehicles (slight exaggeration) on move in day, plus film crews, and perhaps the HOA or the neighborhood board said there is no way we will stand for having all these vehicles parked in the street. Meri may have decided that means they are against plural marriage when in reality they didn't want a million cars blocking the road, or inconveniencing the locals who live there. 

@SweetLaurel I believe they moved to Flagstaff August 2018. They moved down just before enrolling for school, so maybe late July 2018? Come Sept 2019 all four LV homes had sold, and in Sept 2019 Robyn bought a home, which makes me think the mega compound home isn't going to happen. 

7 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

I wonder if Meri renting that gigantic house was a way to attract more people to her down line to sell Lularo. The size of the house certainly seems to scream wealth ( regardless of how well she is actually doing financially ). I would feel lonely and scared living by myself there but maybe image and greed makes it worthwhile for her.

Interesting insight! Last season Meri said she could see herself in a downtown apartment, so she could just walk out her door and go shopping, go to lunch, enjoy living in the downtown area.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, HA88 said:

Interesting insight! Last season Meri said she could see herself in a downtown apartment, so she could just walk out her door and go shopping, go to lunch, enjoy living in the downtown area.

Apartments in downtown Flagstaff are tiny, extremely expensive, and LOUD. Downtown is where all the college students go out Thursday-Saturday nights to get wasted. All of the buildings are at least eighty years old and have single paned windows and poor soundproofing. And parking is no longer free. It's cute to walk around during the daytime, not so fun to live in. Great location to work in, though!

I had been under the impression this past year that Merri found a place on Cherry Hill, which is also pretty expensive. But I guess not, based on the maps of town they keep showing!

My dad is flying to Flagstaff tonight to do some work on our family's property there. I'll ask him to keep his eyes peeled for Browns! ? Too bad he has no clue what they look like. I'll be back for a week in June enjoying the sunshine and visiting friends, I'm sure I'll run into at least one of them then.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Isn't it frustrating when our family isn't properly trained in fundie watching ?

• Haha 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 1/14/2020 at 1:32 AM, indianabones said:

I think you're spot on about this. From the beginning, I have questioned the "they bullied me because I'm a polygamist" line.

Much more likely that it was the filming hoopla that folks objected to, but the former theme is more scandalous - perfect for TLC.

Just so happens that Meri is in a dark place and the bullying thing seems like a way to get attention and comfort from others. I think she's depressed and unhappy with her circumstances. And while she made the polygamy choice and the filming choice herself (so no sympathy from me on those points), I'm struggling with depression a lot right now, too, so I do empathize with that.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

On 1/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, HA88 said:

Meri moved back to her home in Las Vegas for six weeks until her next rental was ready.

I wondered why she just didn't live temporarily with one of the other wives. These women really aren't close, sharing a penis notwithstanding. 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, HA88 said:

I get the impression Meri feels the sister wives should reach out to her.

Yep, I kept talking to the screen telling Meri just reach out to them, dammit! She is so needy. It's annoying.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Can someone refresh me on their financial situation? There's nothing that's keeping Meri tied to these people, other than emotions and the show, right? She could just live wherever she wants. 

Ugh I just realized that Kody keeps moving them around so they can't keep non family friends. He's so gross.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

There's nothing that's keeping Meri tied to these people, other than emotions and the show, right?

The religion is keeping them all tied.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

At the end of last season, Robyn mentioned that Dayton was accepted to a college there. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Some thoughts in a disorganized manner....

This show is still on? Wowzers. Is Meri still emotionally checked out yet staying in the family? Kinda? I don't understand her not leaving. I guess the paycheck. Do they still mention "Sam?" Did she ever buy that bed and breakfast in Utah? Why would the Browns want to live in a conservative state? Who the hell would ever want that? Bleh. This family is so ridiculous to me. I don't think they are really much of a "family" at all. Those cul de sac houses were their supposed dream. I thought they were kind of ugly but the set up seemed perfect for everyone. This move sounds like they've gone off the deep end. I hope the adult kids see that their Dad is nuts. I can't believe they gave up those houses. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Some thoughts in a disorganized manner....

This show is still on? Wowzers. Is Meri still emotionally checked out yet staying in the family? Kinda? I don't understand her not leaving. I guess the paycheck. Do they still mention "Sam?" Did she ever buy that bed and breakfast in Utah? Why would the Browns want to live in a conservative state? Who the hell would ever want that? Bleh. This family is so ridiculous to me. I don't think they are really much of a "family" at all. Those cul de sac houses were their supposed dream. I thought they were kind of ugly but the set up seemed perfect for everyone. This move sounds like they've gone off the deep end. I hope the adult kids see that their Dad is nuts. I can't believe they gave up those houses. 

My guess is yes the TLC paycheck is a big part of the reason she is staying. I don't know how much money Meri makes selling LuLaRoe, but I can't imagine it is enough to support her current lifestyle. Kody's name was on Meri's house (and all the wives' homes) in Vegas, and on the Coyote Pass property in Flagstaff, so even if she sold the property she could only get half the profits. 

Yes, Meri bought the bed and breakfast in Utah, and it was discussed that her mom was going to be living there/running it (not sure if this happened). The story line showed Meri was able to buy the inn on her own, she did not use the family pot to buy it, so she would not be putting Kody or the other sister wives on the title. I have not researched the title to verify these facts. Here's the link for the inn: https://lizziesheritageinn.com

The cat fishing Sam is mentioned on occasion, but hopefully they are done with that topic. I believe it was last season when Mariah opened up about it with her fiancée Audrey there. Meri had Mariah meet another woman who was catfished by Sam, and Mariah met the woman and listened to her story, but said something to the effect of my mom was married she had an emotional affair, just because the guy was a fraud doesn't change my mom's actions or intentions.

Meri and Kody have discussed they still have a strained relationship. Meri says she would like to speed things up, Kody says he is taking it slow. In Vegas they did some counseling, but my guess is that was more for a story line, and less about getting their relationship back on track. If they were doing counseling that wasn't filmed, where they really discussed their issues and really tried to get to a good place I think they would mention it. I get that reality TV is supposed to show their real lives, but I think most people would understand it is more important to fix their relationship. Meri will on occasion make comments on how attractive Kody is, but it sounds forced, not genuine. My guess is outside of filming they don't see each other much, and live very independent lives. Plus Meri doesn't have any children at home that he would have to come see weekly. Meri posts on instagram and she seems to go on a lot of trip by herself. If she was routinely going out to dinner, the movies, or a show with Kody I think she would post it on IG. 

I don't believe Kody ever specified why he wanted a conservative state. My speculation only (not supported by anything) he owns and enjoys guns so maybe he wanted fewer gun laws? Maybe taxes? I would love to know. He grew up in Montana (I think) on a ranch, and I got the impression he prefers having some land to a suburban neighborhood. 

Last season with all the fake moving drama one of the wives admitted Kody had looked at several states surrounding Utah as a possible place to move. They left Utah in a hurry, they for some reason felt Vegas would be accepting, and settled there, but I guess it wasn't a forever plan. If I was Kody or one of his wives prior to the very first day of filming I would have figured out a place to move to and have money set aside (first and last months rent x4 ain't cheap) so if Utah said you are blatantly violating our laws and we are now going to investigate you they had an exit strategy. Perhaps Vegas was decided on before filming started? Maybe that is wishful thinking on my part. 

Most of the families that have done TLC polygamy shows (My Five Wives, the Briney and Alldredge family from Seeking Sister Wife) have left the state of Utah. Three Wives One Husband is the exception, but they built their homes into sandstone rock at Rockland Ranch in Utah. Three Wives One Husband (only one season available on Netflix) was filmed by a British company to air in Britain as a documentary, and later TLC somehow bought the right to air it. I can't find the article, but I remember reading it came as a surprise to the Rockland Ranch families that participated in the show that it was going to be aired in the US. 

Edited by ifosterkittens
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Wow @ifosterkittens thank you for the long and informative reply! You rock!

Christine once said, I believe, that Kody had always wanted to live in Vegas. He and Christine even took a trip there in a very early episode. I always assumed that "get outta Utah quick" drama was so Kody could achieve his goal of living in Vegas. He once called it his "Plymouth Rock" so I'm still just so shocked. *Shrug*

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

On 1/16/2020 at 9:26 PM, Eternalbluepearl said:

Christine once said, I believe, that Kody had always wanted to live in Vegas.

Anybody out there watching now?

She did say that, I remember it. I've been watching this train wreck since the beginning. 

I just don't get Kody's push for one home at this stage of the game. They haven't had one house since Utah. They didn't have one house in Vegas. Why is it so important now? 

Fundies kill me with their conservatism in everything but names, which must be so UNEEK! Truely is so silly to me, Truely what? What was Christine thinking? 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to New Season: Meri, Meri and More Meri