IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, Bethy said:

Get in line behind the Pizza Cutter Lettuce post.

Did I tell you guys I did this once when I made tacos and had forgotten to buy shredded lettuce.  It really is a handy little life hack - worked beautifully.  Thanks, Maxwells!

51 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I saw this on fb and thought of the spinster sisters and the Ardnts. FB_IMG_1577456397936.jpg.7185f3f11b01bc8f578810168049bc0c.jpg

I kinda needed to hear this today.  Thank you.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 12/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, mango_fandango said:

Sooo..... how do we know that baby Deborah is a girl?? 

I have to say, though, the outfit coordination is much better than it has been in previous years.
B66A4E78-25E6-468D-999B-65E855AC8103.thumb.jpeg.53eaa2954de45b0ed043352bf04678bb.jpeg

I actually find it a bit drab and reminiscent of denim frumpers. A little more color mixed in there would be good. 

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Christopher kids have scheduled time for everything, including the use of toys. Joshua loves puzzles but could only play for 15 minutes after lunch. I'm sure they are strongly trained, too.

Abbie looks desperately bored to me.

The education they get is extremely sexist. Their social life, narrow (as far as we know). 

They look clean and well feed and go to real doctors if neede, yes. Have a better life than Andersons and Rodrigues for sure! But I don't think that *happy childhood* is the definition for them.

How do you dare??? Gigi has not Maxwell blood!!!

Point well taken.  It is true that they probably are not having a spectacular childhood.  I guess it really speaks to how messed up some of these families are when I think that smiling, well fed children is an indication that they are "happy."  I can't believe those parents time their children's playtime.  

Edited by JulineD
  • Upvote 6

On 12/24/2019 at 8:54 PM, Jana814 said:

I think The Maxwell’s think it’s perfectly fine to go caroling door to door. In my area not only would it be uncommon to see carollers but I think people in my area have the sense not to do it. 

From the way it sounds the Maxwells have a route of houses they go to. I have a feeling they go to certain friends and family houses like Gigi. But, they still have to drive to certain neighborhoods. Imagine driving home only to see a crowd of people on your neighbors lawn singing off key about Christmas. 

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Christopher kids have scheduled time for everything, including the use of toys. Joshua loves puzzles but could only play for 15 minutes after lunch. I'm sure they are strongly trained, too.

Abbie looks desperately bored to me.

The education they get is extremely sexist. Their social life, narrow (as far as we know). 

Christopher only allows Joshua to put puzzles together for 15 minutes after lunch. WTF?

Abbie does look bored out of her mind. She is probably looking at her aunts wondering if her father is going to take after Coward Steve and be stuck living with her parents while everyone else marries. Plus, it looks like Nathan has done a good job limiting her social life to spinster aunts and cousins.   have a feeling Abbie, sadly, is going to end up like Sarah. I know that sounds harsh and I hope it doesn't happen. But, I do hope that she has friends outside of Maxhell. However, if Nathan took after his father then he cut off all of those who have Christmas trees and other things anti-Maxwell.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

13 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

From the way it sounds the Maxwells have a route of houses they go to. I have a feeling they go to certain friends and family houses like Gigi. But, they still have to drive to certain neighborhoods. Imagine driving home only to see a crowd of people on your neighbors lawn singing off key about Christmas. 

How do they have friends?  I don't have friends, despite never caterwauling on someone's doorstep.

How can I possibly be less likeable than Steve and Teri?

5 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

Christopher only allows Joshua to put puzzles together for 15 minutes after lunch. WTF?

Abbie does look bored out of her mind. She is probably looking at her aunts wondering if her father is going to take after Coward Steve and be stuck living with her parents while everyone else marries. Plus, it looks like Nathan has done a good job limiting her social life to spinster aunts and cousins.   have a feeling Abbie, sadly, is going to end up like Sarah. I know that sounds harsh and I hope it doesn't happen. But, I do hope that she has friends outside of Maxhell. However, if Nathan took after his father then he cut off all of those who have Christmas trees and other things anti-Maxwell.

To be fair posing for a family pic while waiting for all babies to be facing forward and looking up is boring.  I think most of us would have the same expression, especially at that age.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

@HerNameIsBuffy,  I hope you know that a lot of us here on FJ consider you our friend. 

I know if doesn't have some of the benefits of IRL friendship like going out for dinner or the movie together or playing cards/games and so on, but it's still a friendship and sometimes we can say things to our online friends that we might not to our IRL friends.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 9

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@HerNameIsBuffy,  I hope you know that a lot of us here on FJ consider you our friend. 

I know if doesn't have some of the benefits of IRL friendship like going out for dinner or the movie together or playing cards/games and so on, but it's still a friendship and sometimes we can say things to our online friends that we might not to our IRL friends.

You are so sweet - and right back atcha.  I should have said irl friends...you know the kind who sign on your front porch and shove poppy seed cake at you!  

But I'll take you guys over that kind of friendship all day long!  :tw_heart:

• Upvote 7
  • Love 8

12 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

It just hit me - why the fuck don't they include Gigi in these holy family photos?!? Have we ever seen her in the photo, even back when she was less frail?

Cuz Gigi doesn't know where she's going when she dies.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

How do they have friends?  I don't have friends, despite never caterwauling on someone's doorstep.

How can I possibly be less likeable than Steve and Teri?

To be fair posing for a family pic while waiting for all babies to be facing forward and looking up is boring.  I think most of us would have the same expression, especially at that age.

Honestly, I don't know. In the past Sarah did post photos of herself and family members with people from the outside (gasp), but it looks like they weren't having any fun (shocker). I wouldn't be surprised if they do have friends, they just choose not to post them or have been asked not to post about them on their blog. I just really hope they do have friends on the outside, if not then their existence is more lonely and pathetic than I thought.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

On 12/26/2019 at 9:31 AM, Lgirlrocks said:

I could see them changing the lyrics to Jesus Christ is coming to town.

Most of the lyrics fit and it even scans! Paging @thoughtful

• Upvote 6

28 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Most of the lyrics fit and it even scans! Paging @thoughtful

Did I hear my name being called?

I checked to make sure I hadn't already done it, and didn't find anything. But I did do this -- sing it to the tune of White Christmas while I work on SCICTT. I'll be back!

I'm planning for a sad Christmas,
Just like the ones we always spend.
Where Dad’s crazed eyes glisten, and we all listen,
To hear all about life’s end.

I'm bracing for a tense Christmas,
With every 15 minutes planned.
Rigid days at parents’ command,
Even all our Christmases are bland.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 13

Steve Maxwell stands on the doorstep, and sings to his young neighbors, passing on his - um . . . unusual - view of Jesus’ love and forgiveness:

You better watch out,
You better not sin,
Or feel any doubt,
That's Satan within!
Jesus Christ is comin' to town!

He’s not full of love,
As you have heard tell.
He’s coming to send the naughty to Hell!

He knows that you’re not sleeping,
He knows your snoring’s fake.
He knows just where you’ve got your hand,
As your bed begins to shake!

You better believe,
You better comply!
You better know where
You’ll go when you die!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 20
  • Love 12

@thoughtful,  I love that rendition of White Christmas from Holiday Inn and especially when Bing hits the bells on the tree with his pipe.  

Btw, Marjorie Reynolds, the woman in that scene with Bing, was on the Joey Bishop Show this morning playing Kathy Williams, Danny Williams' (Danny Thomas) wife.  

• Upvote 5

Oh, @thoughtful you make the FJ world a better place with your spot-on lyrics! I'm guessing you brighten up the real world just as much.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

40 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I love that rendition of White Christmas from Holiday Inn and especially when Bing hits the bells on the tree with his pipe.

I like Holiday Inn because I'll watch Fred Astaire do just about anything. But Bing is no slouch in it, either.

28 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Oh, @thoughtful you make the FJ world a better place with your spot-on lyrics! I'm guessing you brighten up the real world just as much.

:my_blush: Aw, you're so kind!

I don't know if I brighten up the real world, but I do try -- well, that is when I'm with other people. I'm one of those super-introverts, who can happily spend days alone.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

@thoughtful your spoof is amazing because the meter matches perfectly and that is really hard to do!

I bet when Steve reads them he will be jealous that he didn’t think of doing that first.

Why don’t they have a tree? Is it too pagan? If you don’t have a tree, do you just have a pile of presents on the floor? I guess this means no stockings, either, or going to any Christmas parades or light shows where Santa is sure to be. 

To me, Christmas is for everyone who chooses it, but it is about children, about poor, unmarried children who were seeking out a refuge from the cold, who were just trying to survive when childbirth was an incredibly dangerous thing, about a baby born without anything to his name. Its about cherishing and caring for children. It’s a universal story that resonates with me even though I’m an atheist. Yet Steve turns it into a story all about hell. Poor kids. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

Why don’t they have a tree? Is it too pagan? If you don’t have a tree, do you just have a pile of presents on the floor? I guess this means no stockings, either, or going to any Christmas parades or light shows where Santa is sure to be. 

I actually know the answer to this one. There's a verse in the Old Testament (Jeremiah maybe? Not sure) about how people cut down a tree, nail it to the floor, and decorate it with silver and gold...there's also a part about fashioning it with tools (aka carving an idol out of it) but the cut down/fasten/decorate part is enough for some fundies to toss the whole concept.

There's either a blog post or a Corner about it, I want to say from about 2006 (earliest blog times) where they talk about ditching the tree in favor of distinctly Christian decorations, but I don't feel like searching for it ATM. They decorate with wreaths and they have a cross-shaped decoration made out of greenery. IDK why that's okay but a tree-shaped greenery isn't. No idea where they put the presents.

ETA they had a decoration that said "Believe" a few years back that got snarked on pretty hard here. I'm sure they're applying it to "believe in Jesus" but they don't know anything that's marketed as a Christmas decoration with that word on it is about Santa.

Edited by Bethy
I forgot stuff
  • Upvote 10

I follow Melanie's sister (Grace) on FB.  She posted a story a day or so ago showing a family Christmas gathering.  You can see Melanie, Deborah and Christina sitting on a love seat.  Christina is wearing either leggings or pajama pants without a skirt over them (unless it's hiked up really high and hiding).  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, jeansonly said:

I follow Melanie's sister (Grace) on FB.  She posted a story a day or so ago showing a family Christmas gathering.  You can see Melanie, Deborah and Christina sitting on a love seat.  Christina is wearing either leggings or pajama pants without a skirt over them (unless it's hiked up really high and hiding).  

Wonder why it doesn't show for me. ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, petrushka said:

Wonder why it doesn't show for me. ?

I have a screenshot on my phone, but a) it's blurry as it's from a video and b) I'm not sure how to post a picture.  I'll try to figure it out.  I took it as I think FB stories disappear.  

05E7346D-C766-4EC4-840F-BEC56EA0A12B.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

3 minutes ago, jeansonly said:

I have a screenshot on my phone, but a) it's blurry as it's from a video and b) I'm not sure how to post a picture.  I'll try to figure it out.  I took it as I think FB stories disappear.  

Hey it's all good.  It showed up a couple of minutes ago.  Hard to tell if Christina is wearing a long top hiked up as you mentioned.  Glad to see them with Melanie's family who seem a tad more relaxed than the Maxwells.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Darn! I just glimpsed a Grace Maher “family game night” video on FB and there was Melanie with Debbie on her lap, smiling and interacting. Mel’s denim skirt was arranged so that her legs up to the knee were X-posed!

i can’t find the video now but am making it my online quest, today. A Maxwife actually takes Weemaxes to non-Maxwell family do’s and shows her pretty legs!  Go, Mel!  Man, I hope Nate & the rest of The Nathanmaxwellfamily were there.!!!

ETA — it always helps to actually tap SUBMIT REPLY — I’m glad others saw it and posted it. I noticed that while Grace is dressed normally [sic], the young woman on the couch facing Mel & Girls has on some kinda leggings but with a skirt that I suspect ends well above the ankles. And Grandmother Maher (?) looks slightly overwhelmed by it all.

In short, the Mahers look WORLDS more warm and normal than the Maxes.  

• Upvote 5

I know plenty of people with shitty in laws. But they get to avoid their in laws for the most part. But Melanie has to see the Maxwell’s all the damn time. I’m sure she’s used to them by now. And they help her out with the kids. So I guess she gets something out of it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic