IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

14 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

when I worked for chick fil a this happened all of the time. It’s a joy FM thing. What would happen is a person, after they paid for their meal in the drive thru, would say they wanted to pay for the car behind them. We would tell them the total and they would pay for all or part of it. When the next car pulled up we would tell them their meal was paid for, in part or in full, by the car in front of them. They would then decide if they wanted to pay for the car behind them. We usually didn’t have it happen at the front counter. Every once in a while someone would pay for a cops meal. 

I can see that working at a fast food place where there's one window (or a menu and a two-way speaker) to order and another to pay and pick up your order. Thing is, at every coffee drive-thru I've ever driven thru, there's only one window. You pull up to the window,order, pay, wait for your drink, then pull forward and the next person pulls up, orders, pays, etc. So there's no way to know what the person behind you wants or how much it will cost.

Also, I'd rather give the money to a homeless person than to someone who can afford to spend $5 on a fancy coffee drink. 

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

According to the comments, the family had not heard of the pay-it-forward thing. 

That's what happens when you are sheltered from the big bad ebil world.  If the Maxwells ever did do that I'm sure they would slip in a religious tract.

• Upvote 11

I frequent Starbucks a little too much but mine doesn’t have a drive through, so I usually order through the app. That means I’ve already paid for my order and I don’t even go to the register inside. Because of that, I’ve never been in one of those chains. My boss was in a drive through line, though, and her order of small fries was paid for by the customer ahead of her. She felt obligated to pay for the next car, but it was $30. I agree that’s not the spirit of the chain, obligating someone to pay for far more than they ordered. She did buy, but I think it would have been totally fine to just enjoy the free fries and move on. 

Like another poster, I also save my giving for those in need and not those in the Starbucks line. I work in mental health outreach, and we serve one person who really hoped for a Christmas tree this year, even bought lights in the hope that it would happen. A coworker and I bought a small tree and showed up at the door with it on Friday. We three set it up together, and it was a great time!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 11

They deleted a bunch of comments on the coffee/random acts of kindness post. Terri had replied to several comments that they had never heard about doing this type of thing, and now they are gone. I wish I could hear their conversation about it. Did they have a moment of self awareness and realize how out of touch it sounded? 

• Upvote 14

3 hours ago, LaughingDonuts said:

I frequent Starbucks a little too much but mine doesn’t have a drive through, so I usually order through the app. That means I’ve already paid for my order and I don’t even go to the register inside. Because of that, I’ve never been in one of those chains. My boss was in a drive through line, though, and her order of small fries was paid for by the customer ahead of her. She felt obligated to pay for the next car, but it was $30. I agree that’s not the spirit of the chain, obligating someone to pay for far more than they ordered. She did buy, but I think it would have been totally fine to just enjoy the free fries and move on.

I agree that's not right.  I like the tollbooth example better, where everyone's paying the same amount.  Or anywhere where a generous initiator can just offer up an extra five bucks or whatever "toward" someone else's charge, whether it fully covers it or not.  It's the surprise "good thing" that puts folks in a happy mood, not the quantity of money involved.  In my opinion, of course!

• Upvote 5

Here in Australia - or at least, here in Melbourne - some cafés have a 'suspended coffee' system. People can buy their own coffee and add enough money to pay for one, or more, other coffees for someone less fortunate. A tally is kept - sometimes in a book and sometimes a token is added to a jar for every suspended coffee, which people can see so they know if any are available or not. In one of the tiny, inner-city lanes there is a soup cafe that does the same. 

• Upvote 4

I have never paid it forward, but although I frequented coffee and other drive thrus throughout my early 20s, someone only paid it forward for me once. My ex and I were going through a Starbucks drive thru and someone paid for our order. Looking back, I was skeptical to pay for the person behind us because this Starbucks was right next to my former church which was very abusive. I knew people in the church paid it forward and told others too all of the time. I was very paranoid when I was younger so I was afraid it was one of the creepy elders that had seen me and that’s why they did it, so I just was freaked out enough to not want to participate at all (even though the people behind us were probably perfectly lovely strangers)

My ex’s reasoning was that it’s better to help someone who is not already in a line to pay for their food, they can obviously afford it already. He worked in a homeless ministry and volunteered with him sometimes too. It was not out of character for us in our own lives to get 2 of what we were ordering and hand it to a homeless person outside. I was an avid instagrammer at the time so did I ever post about it? No. 

I don’t think the Maxwell girls knew what was going on, but I also don’t think they should be obligated to pay for the next person. I hope their family does something for their community or otherwise that is more productive than OCC or handing out Bible tracts at a fair. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Before I retired, I used to pay it forward at Dunkin’ Donuts sometimes, even if the  person ahead of me hadn’t paid for my order. It helped me on days when I was feeling depressed.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Pay it forward to my understanding is not meant to help (as in an act of charity) someone who cannot afford food. Instead it's meant to put a smile on someone's face (or be a blessing to others, if you prefer). When it happens to me, I usally do pay for the person's behind me but I always ask how much they ordered first bc I'm okay with paying the cost of my own meal (and maybe slightly more) but I'm not okay with paying $30 if I only planned to sepnd $7.

• Upvote 10

On 12/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, Flossie said:

The term pump priming is derived from the operation of older water pumps - a suction valve had to be primed with water so that the pump would function properly.

As with so many things, this city kid learned this from a song:

• Upvote 2

New post up: Last Sunday, they went caroling AND handed out poppy-seed bread ? They were right on schedule (two Sundays before Christmas) so everyone was expecting them ? N&M's "crew" was sick so they were carolees instead of carolers this year. (I wonder if they got poppy-seed bread?) In other news, it would appear that Calia is permitted to tuck her dress into her snow pants, while C&A's girls have to wear their snow pants under long dresses. It makes me a bit sad for them, because of how much longer it would take to get ready for snow play under those rules, but I guess I'm thankful that they allow snow pants (they are, after all, PANTS!) and that they aren't the sort that says "Just wear a flannel slip and God will keep your legs warm" as their children daughters get frostbite.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

I gotta admit: That poppyseed bread recipe does look appetizing. I think I may try it, tinkering with the seasonings a little.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bethy said:

New post up: Last Sunday, they went caroling AND handed out poppy-seed bread ? They were right on schedule (two Sundays before Christmas) so everyone was expecting them ? N&M's "crew" was sick so they were carolees instead of carolers this year. (I wonder if they got poppy-seed bread?) In other news, it would appear that Calia is permitted to tuck her dress into her snow pants, while C&A's girls have to wear their snow pants under long dresses. It makes me a bit sad for them, because of how much longer it would take to get ready for snow play under those rules, but I guess I'm thankful that they allow snow pants (they are, after all, PANTS!) and that they aren't the sort that says "Just wear a flannel slip and God will keep your legs warm" as their children daughters get frostbite.

Looking at those little girls walking around in the wet snow, I kept thinking one thing. Those denim dresses must be SO heavy when they get wet. Snow boots and pants are already heavy; adding wet denim to the mix must make those outings exhausting for Christopher’s daughters. 

Nothing outweighs modesty, though; which is such a creepy thought when we are talking about such young children. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

30 minutes ago, Hane said:

I gotta admit: That poppyseed bread recipe does look appetizing. I think I may try it, tinkering with the seasonings a little.

Their baked goods often look appealing. The gloppy "cream-of" casseroles? Not so much.

4 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Why did we get a caroling post but still have not seen the family pictures post? 

Because it's not on the SCHEDULE, of course! Get in line behind the Pizza Cutter Lettuce post.

15 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Looking at those little girls walking around in the wet snow, I kept thinking one thing. Those denim dresses must be SO heavy when they get wet. Snow boots and pants are already heavy; adding wet denim to the mix must make those outings exhausting for Christopher’s daughters. 

Nothing outweighs modesty, though; which is such a creepy thought when we are talking about such young children. 

I also noticed Steve seems to be bundled well in Carhartt-type bibs and coat, while his daughters have to make do in skirts with just a pair of leggings underneath ?

• Upvote 8

I wonder how the neighbors they carol at feel about this yearly visit?  I'm not a very sociable person so someone coming to my door to sing Christmas carols would make me very uncomfortable.  I would have a smile plastered on my face just out of politeness but internally, there would be a lot of cringing and "please make them go away, please let it be over soon".

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Dark Matters said:

I wonder how the neighbors they carol at feel about this yearly visit?  I'm not a very sociable person so someone coming to my door to sing Christmas carols would make me very uncomfortable.  I would have a smile plastered on my face just out of politeness but internally, there would be a lot of cringing and "please make them go away, please let it be over soon".

I wouldn't go to the door. And I'd hope they'd give up on me and cross me off the list, to make the time those kids need to be out in the cold shorter the following year.

The Maxwells are intrusive and self-righteous people who use pleasant things like face painting to slime their terrifying beliefs on other people's children. They don't deserve any courtesy beyond saying "excuse me" if I bumped into one of them.

I can buy poppy seed bread at the supermarket, while I sing along with carols on the muzak, and exchange grins with others doing the same. I love helping my piano students work on Christmas music (If they want to do so), and talking to them about their Christmas plans, sacred and secular.

Screw the Maxwells - I want to interact with people who are planning a joyous, not-death-obsessed Christmas.

Edited by thoughtful
riffles - again!
  • Upvote 21
  • Love 2

I wouldn't answer the door. I have zero interest in standing at an open door in the middle of winter while people sing and give out tracts promoting their religion and emphasis on death. 

To be fair to the Maxells though, i wouldn't answer the door for any carolers. Religion, death & tracts aside, I see no reason to stand at an open door in the middle of winter while people sing. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Dark Matters said:

When I first moved here, I had friends who did caroling, and I was roped into it a few times. It's fun. Most of the people either heard us singing and opened their doors to look, or knew we were coming. We also ended up at the senior home. Going door to door to sing to strangers sounds awkward, if you're neighbors aren't into the neighborhood thing. 

• Upvote 3

A Maxwell offspring female in pants! I know it’s snow pants but still. 13F0DB15-FA00-4218-99C7-B01D6CFCD477.thumb.png.f10d8ede47d5d3de93cdf3783f422132.png
she is dressed ver appropriate for being out in the cold. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

A Maxwell offspring female in pants! I know it’s snow pants but still. 13F0DB15-FA00-4218-99C7-B01D6CFCD477.thumb.png.f10d8ede47d5d3de93cdf3783f422132.png
she is dressed ver appropriate for being out in the cold. 

Notice her cousin next to her who is wearing a long skirt over her snow pants, losing anything resembling appropriate in the obsession with "modesty". 

Never mind how effing hard it must be for those poor kids to walk in heavy winter boots & snow pants covered by a long dress. Sacrificing common sense & safety because someone might see a little girl's "shape" in bulky winter gear. 

Morons. All of them. 

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Notice her cousin next to her who is wearing a long skirt over her snow pants, losing anything resembling appropriate in the obsession with "modesty". 

Never mind how effing hard it must be for those poor kids to walk in heavy winter boots & snow pants covered by a long dress. Sacrificing common sense & safety because someone might see a little girl's "shape" in bulky winter gear. 

Morons. All of them. 

It really gross too. Why must they sexualize children. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Dark Matters said:

I'm sure a good amount of carolers, Maxwells fully included, would become hostile upon seeing my living room menorah.

• Upvote 5

Oh, they might just see the Menorah as a challenge. You'd probably get the full treatment including a mini-sermon. It could provide for some fun times if you were in the mood.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic