IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

43 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Only Teri could turn a decision about buying t-shirts into a religious matter, and better yet, a lead in for discontentment with your husband/children. 

Here's a better way. Separate the purchase of clothing from your religious fanaticism.

Would you like a shirt or two? Can you afford a shirt or two? Well, look, they're on sale! Yes, let's get some new shirts. Or, no, I guess I don't really need them right now; I'll wait. 

So damn easy it's almost painful. 

Last week, Kohl's had bras on sale for $24.99 and under. I desperately needed some bras. But, new ones weren't really in the budget. While I had the money, I planned to use it elsewhere. But, bras are a huge expense and if I waited until I had "bra money" in the budget, they'd probably be $40 each or more. Plus, I had a $5 reward.

So, I bought three bras. It took me all of about 3 minutes to weigh my options and make a decision. I didn't need to pray, I didn't need to evaluate my heart/contentment, I didn't need to question my very existence. I did the only thing I needed to do - do I need bras? Can I afford bras? Is it better to buy now or wait? 

Boom, done. 

Life in Maxhell must be really freaking hard every. single. day. 

Look what this world has come to.  Women making decisions.  Buying bras on their own.  

I bet if you were ordering pizza for guests you'd just ask your husband if he had ordered it, and if not do it yourself, rather than "reverencing" a man by remaining silent and praying that the Lord pops some kind of supernatural Outlook reminder into his head lest your elderly mother go hungry.

Feminist heathens...smh

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Look what this world has come to.  Women making decisions.  Buying bras on their own.  

I bet if you were ordering pizza for guests you'd just ask your husband if he had ordered it, and if not do it yourself, rather than "reverencing" a man by remaining silent and praying that the Lord pops some kind of supernatural Outlook reminder into his head lest your elderly mother go hungry.

Feminist heathens...smh

When I was married, it never would have even entered my mind to ask/remind him to order pizza for guests. A planner he was not; he was very used to things just being done and merely having to show up. I didn't help matters by accepting that mind-set. But, anyway, if we were having guests and pizza was on the menu, first I'd have to find out who wanted what on their pizza, then order it myself, then pick it up myself. As far as he was concerned, by agreeing to pizza, it was just going to magically show up for him. 

And, while I contributed to his entitlement which was absolutely stupid of me, it also made life so very much easier, and honestly, more successful. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 3

New post up about their family photo shoot.  I just needed to point out the picture of the "girls" with the grandkids.  Benji is right out in front sticking his tongue out!  Benji is my favorite, because he's the same age as my grandson, and he is obviously Sarah's favorite!  

Other than that, the commentary coming from someone who is supposed to be a writer.  

ETA:  'Some' kept their vests on for the pictures!  (No, she didn't say that, but there were examples of the famous passive voice.  "A break was had...")

Edited by Fun-Dee
  • Upvote 13

Back to Pizza-Gate.  Shouldn't that have been Terri's responsibility anyway?  these people like their gender roles, so meal prep should be firmly under Terri and "the Girls."  And by extension, takeout should qualify as meal prep in that it is a meal that should be coordinated by the woman of the house, Terri.  Sure, it's spending man-earned money, which is a thing for Manly Men like Stevie; but Terri does the grocery shopping, so a pre-made pizza should fall under that, too. 

Ergo, Stevie should not have been in charge of the women's work of dinner prep.  Terri should have done it herself instead of praying for ESP to bend Stevie's will in order to remember to do it.  One could say they really fucked that up.

ETA:  I genuinely liked this one; for once Sarah captured what appeared to be candid and a little funny--

Spoiler

Part of the group disappeared to watch a train

DSC_9612.jpg

Edited by catlady
  • Upvote 16

I just opened a fortune cookie and found this...

"A well arranged schedule is a good sign of a well arranged mind."

Teri is clearly marketing to me via Panda Express fortune cookies.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 7
  • Haha 17

I liked that “the Hobby Lobby trip was scheduled for Monday, and yes, it happened.”

I’m so glad Monday happened. I thought we were still stuck on that same Sunday!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 21
  • Love 1

Not to defend Teri, because the mom's corner is ridiculous, but when my anxiety is high and borderline unmanageable, I would probably agonize about buying shirts too. And she doesn't have the option of medication or therapy to help cope. So while some days I can make that decision to buy shirts (or whatever) in 2 minutes flat, other days I really do fixate and agonize over it. Teri may be so ensconced in her bubble as to not realize that not everyone has this problem. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

39 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

Teri may be so ensconced in her bubble as to not realize that not everyone has this problem. 

And probably judged everyone who doesn't have her problems as wrong and not mindful enough.

I've had bouts of anxiety in recent years, but I know that's me and not something everyone does (or should) experience.

To be honest, Teri is far scarier to me than Steve.  Steve is a tedious suck monkey who desperately needs the stick surgically removed from his ass but ...Idk how to explain it but Teri seems to exude a meanness even harsher than his.  Of the two of them I'd be far more afraid of her wrath.

I don't know why but it's not my personal baggage...my mom was a made of hundreds of frolicking kittens inside a gushingly loving lady suit.  You know the type whose default mode is happy didn't judge others because she saw the best in everyone...so I'm not predisposed to be afraid of moms but Teri scares the Jesus right out of me.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

And probably judged everyone who doesn't have her problems as wrong and not mindful enough.

Exactly! I can understand where she's coming from in terms of agonizing over a purchase because I see my own anxiety reflected there, but then any sympathy I may feel ends because she of what you say above. She is judgemental and mean, and I wouldn't want to cross her. She seems like the type to lash out when stressed and probably made the kids life a living hell when they were younger. 

• Upvote 8

26 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Isn't something to kill bugs kind of a weird Christmas present?  

John probably has bug killing on his schedule and needs something to help him complete the chore pack card within the allotted 15 minutes.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 18
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, EmmaWoodhouse said:

I have a very tight-knit family on my dad's side.  Many of my fundie friends told us they had never seen anything like it.  They never seemed to put two and two together and realize that they themselves had driven a wedge between themselves and grandparents, cousins, etc. because they were "too worldly and a bad influence."  The Maxwells probably think they have a uniquely close family because none of their children have rebelled and they are still close to GiGi.  I would be surprised if many of their followers had such conflict-free, all family members accounted for Christmases (and that's my most positive statement about the Maxwells for 2020).

The Maxwells would never believe that most families (even those who consider their own families a little or a lot dysfunctional)  still enjoy spending time together from time to time.  But if you are the ONLY family who feels this way it makes you much more special than the majority (and definitely heaven-bound).

On 1/6/2020 at 10:58 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t know why but the word floozy always cracks me up. I hate the words slut or ho but floozy kills me. It makes me think of someone’s great grandma talking about her neighbor who wears red lipstick. 

My mother used to call women floozies, but it always had a Lucille Ball vibe to me.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

19 hours ago, thoughtful said:

It's also used throughout the film The Courtship of Eddie's Father, started by Mrs. Livingston, whose heyday was probably in the 20s.

Ron Howard was an adorable Opie, but no.

Brandon Cruz is the only Eddie Corbett I will allow in my world.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

I love how in the film of The Courtship of Eddie's Father where Eddie and his dad are talking about women's measurements and how not-so-nice women, in other words floozies,  have big busts and narrow eyes.  

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I love how in the film of The Courtship of Eddie's Father where Eddie and his dad are talking about women's measurements and how not-so-nice women, in other words floozies,  have big busts and narrow eyes.  

I never saw the movie, but as a young tween I certainly loved how Brandon Cruz grew up into Joey Turner from the Bad News Bears and I may or may not have practiced having beginner level impure thoughts.  He was a walking eye trap.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

re : Teri agonizing over buying shirts

I too often spend way too much time deciding what to buy/what not to buy. However in my case there is no Godly agenda to follow - I am merely trying to maximize my points/discount/free samples/free shipping etc. It's all about the hunt for the best deal for me. Sure Teri and I both probably spent about the same time agonizing over a purchase but I had "what some might call" fun. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1

@HerNameIsBuffy ,  I loved the TV series too!  And first!  I didn't see the film until I saw it on TCM.  Anyway, Brandon Cruz, Bill Bixby, and Miyoshi Umeki were wonderful in the show!

Miyoshi Umeki, of course, won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar in 1957 for her portrayal of Katsumi in Sayonara.  She was nominated for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for Flower-Drum Song at the Tony Awards in 1958 and a Golden Globe for the film several years later.  She made a few other films, but retired from acting after Eddie's Father.  Umeki was the first Asian performer to win an Oscar for acting and is still the only Asian actress to do so.  That's no commentary on the talent of Asian or Asian-American actors, but rather on the Academy's and the movie industry's unfortunate tendency to favor white actors.  

Edited by PennySycamore
major riffle -deleting some stuff and adding other stuff
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

not-so-nice women, in other words floozies,  have big busts and narrow eyes.  

Ummm, you mean like. . .

Spoiler

squint.thumb.jpg.a5c36a5bdd29c27e64d8d9182450dac6.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 25
  • I Agree 2

On 1/6/2020 at 9:22 AM, Sops2 said:

Rather a risque neckline and hairdo, don't you think?

20200106_172129.jpg

That smile!  Even her neck muscles are involved in that scary smile!

In the comments, Teri explained that Mary and Jesse often hide each other's gift.  Jesse's gift in the tree was a bug zapper.

• Upvote 6

The difference between me having anxiety and the Maxwells having anxiety, is I have friends in my life who will suggest I make an appointment with my therapist, or take some medication, or a host of other things that don’t involve hyper controlling my schedule or “you just need to be in the word more” (more Bible reading).  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 7

I also agonize over small things. Constantly. So I very much understand that. I just don’t think I need to blog about it, because I don’t think anyone but my therapist is really that interested in analyzing my neurotic thoughts. Heck, probably not even my therapist is 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

15 hours ago, louannems said:

That smile!  Even her neck muscles are involved in that scary smile!

In the comments, Teri explained that Mary and Jesse often hide each other's gift.  Jesse's gift in the tree was a bug zapper.

It’s Anna and John. Comment is pasted above.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Isn't something to kill bugs kind of a weird Christmas present?  

To be honest I would be stoked to get some of those bug zappers. During bonfire season, friends will come over and bring some and we share, and I think "I should get one of those" and then never buy them. And now I'm thinking about it but I know I can't get one until summer, when they become necessary again, in which case I won't want to waste time at the store looking for them.

• Upvote 4

Random Courtship of Eddie's Father comment - does anyone else remember the TV show episode where Eddie nearly fell off the balcony?  That scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid!

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic