IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

Same activities with the same family members even with their attempted family fun day with the ever so creative obstacle course and picnic eggs continues on.

Continued from here:

• Thank You 3

That post inspired by the U.K. reader was one of the dullest things I’ve seen on the Maxwell blog for a long time, and that’s saying a hell of a lot. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2

I am very disappointed. Here it is, Thanksgiving day, and we weren't told how to read a spreadsheet that tells us to the ounce how much of one vegetable, turkey, potatoes and pie to make for dinner for 10. How, oh how, will we all manage last minute without Maxhell wisdom? 

Also, no run down of who is thankful for what - coffee, dad & mom, blah, blah, blah. 

They are not on their game this year. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

We have family on my husband's side that actually live in Plymouth, Mass or nearby so we've have several Thanksgivings in Plymouth.  Both times were very memorable with Auntie Barbara or one of the cousins hosting 30 to 40 people.    The food was delicious and the companionship even more so. 

And, damn!, I just remembered that I was going to make Auntie Barbara's tomato soup cake.  I think I have the ingredients so I might make one still.  I'm not quite running on all cylinders yet after my trip.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I know numerous people who go to the National Day of Mourning in Plymouth every year, does that count as spending Thanksgiving there?

I read this story in the Boston Globe the other day https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/11/24/how-does-foot-tall-monument-pilgrims-become-invisible/qiA2JYFS7teQ0kjhPbr9TL/story.html about an 81 foot tall granite statue having something to do with the Pilgrims and immediately thought of how much our fundie families would support this. It’s so weird. The reporter is all, ‘this rock is really big!’ and the tour guide is like, ‘JESUS.’

quote from the article 

““There are people who live in Plymouth who don’t even know it’s here!” Martin declared, which is his standard manner of communication.

It’s called the National Monument to the Forefathers, and it is so massive in size and ambitious in scope that it took the Pilgrim Society nearly 30 years to build, finally completing the project in 1889, almost seven decades after it had been conceived.

The story of how it became virtually invisible is equally as long, for it involves the neighborhood and trees that slowly grew up around it, eventually blocking the monument from view down on the waterfront. “Now the only way to see it is if you’re on a boat or you’re standing right next to it,” Martin said.

But he and his wife, Nancy, who cofounded the Jenney Museum, believe there is another reason the monument has been ignored, one that goes beyond simple geography. They believe the monument contains a recipe, left behind by the Pilgrims, for a Christian nation.

“The name of the statue on top is Faith, and it tells the faith story of the Pilgrims,” Nancy said. “And in this atmosphere, a lot of people don’t want to hear that story.”

“Thanksgiving is not about turkeys and buckles!” Leo declared”

The way that the guide speaks reminds me a bit of the Maxwells writing.

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 3

One of my earliest Thanksgiving memories is eating something out of abalone shells. It was at my Montessori preschool in Massachusetts. They never went quite so far as to put in the slaughtering and massacre parts of the narrative. But, I did get a somewhat more authentic portrayal of suffering and life for both colonists and Indians.

I remember it being different from how it was when I moved to Kansas.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

I am very disappointed. Here it is, Thanksgiving day, and we weren't told how to read a spreadsheet that tells us to the ounce how much of one vegetable, turkey, potatoes and pie to make for dinner for 10. How, oh how, will we all manage last minute without Maxhell wisdom? 

Also, no run down of who is thankful for what - coffee, dad & mom, blah, blah, blah. 

They are not on their game this year. 

They haven't been on their game for a couple years now. Two years ago was the breathy baby-voiced video disaster and since then we haven't even gotten a list from each individual, just a picture of The Four Who Remain with Steve and Teri, and a verse about thankfulness.

There are typically Thanksgiving Recap posts, so you may have another chance on the spreadsheets and maybe even the pizza cutter lettuce hack. (I can dream, can't I?)

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, AliceInFundyland said:

One of my earliest Thanksgiving memories is eating something out of abalone shells. It was at my Montessori preschool in Massachusetts. They never went quite so far as to put in the slaughtering and massacre parts of the narrative. But, I did get a somewhat more authentic portrayal of suffering and life for both colonists and Indians.

I remember it being different from how it was when I moved to Kansas.

I am in my 50's and still trying to unlearn all I "learned" about Thanksgiving, the Pilgrims, etc. I don't remember when I fully grasped that it wasn't the perfect picture I was taught, I haven't accepted those stories for as long as I actually do remember. But, I'm still trying to reform my thoughts. It's actually sad that reality was changed to such an extent. Just goes to show, to the victor go the spoils. The "winner" controls the narrative. 

• Upvote 10

Cat lady , here’s the best way I’ve learned to peel hard boiled eggs:

after eggs have are cooked, drain water leaving eggs in pot.  Shake  pot vigorously from side to side so eggshells are cracked.  Fill pot with cold water from faucet and peel eggs under running water.  Usually works like a charm unless eggs are super fresh-/best let them wait a week or so in fridge)

please forgive me if I’ve posted this before.  We eat a lot of hard boiled eggs ( keeping chickens helps)  so I fix at least 2 dozen a week .

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@anachronistic,  the National Day of Mourning sounds like a very appropriate way to to commemorate Thanksgiving.  

I think the Maxwells call this New Year's Day.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, petrushka said:

I suspect Chels, John and the baby are headed to Iowa for Thanksgiving.

I hope they do.  At least, they'll get better food.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

So "The Maxwells" now = Stevehovah, Terified, and their four as-yet unmarried offspring. I'm betting next year's TG pic will be the same, minus Jesse. Mom, Dad, and their three forever-stuck-at-home daughters. Gah...

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, Cora Persephona said:

I think the Maxwells call this New Year's Day.

I thought it was New Year's Eve that they spend crying for all us heathens.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I thought it was New Year's Eve that they spend crying for all us heathens.

Ah, my mistake! In my defence, every day in their lives would make me cry of boredom so it's hard to see the difference between New Year's Eve and New Year's Day from their perspective.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I know numerous people who go to the National Day of Mourning in Plymouth every year, does that count as spending Thanksgiving there?

I read this story in the Boston Globe the other day https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/11/24/how-does-foot-tall-monument-pilgrims-become-invisible/qiA2JYFS7teQ0kjhPbr9TL/story.html about an 81 foot tall granite statue having something to do with the Pilgrims and immediately thought of how much our fundie families would support this. It’s so weird. The reporter is all, ‘this rock is really big!’ and the tour guide is like, ‘JESUS.’

quote from the article 

““There are people who live in Plymouth who don’t even know it’s here!” Martin declared, which is his standard manner of communication.

It’s called the National Monument to the Forefathers, and it is so massive in size and ambitious in scope that it took the Pilgrim Society nearly 30 years to build, finally completing the project in 1889, almost seven decades after it had been conceived.

The story of how it became virtually invisible is equally as long, for it involves the neighborhood and trees that slowly grew up around it, eventually blocking the monument from view down on the waterfront. “Now the only way to see it is if you’re on a boat or you’re standing right next to it,” Martin said.

But he and his wife, Nancy, who cofounded the Jenney Museum, believe there is another reason the monument has been ignored, one that goes beyond simple geography. They believe the monument contains a recipe, left behind by the Pilgrims, for a Christian nation.

“The name of the statue on top is Faith, and it tells the faith story of the Pilgrims,” Nancy said. “And in this atmosphere, a lot of people don’t want to hear that story.”

“Thanksgiving is not about turkeys and buckles!” Leo declared”

The way that the guide speaks reminds me a bit of the Maxwells writing.

Um, that lady Nancy should look up some of the crimes of the original colony settlements ? Very interesting original source material once you get away from Peter Marshall style 'light and glory' propaganda, whitewashing everything into a religious narrative. 

There's a documentary on YT using original records, diaries and archeology at the sites but I couldn't find it with just a quick search. This is pretty good though. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Coco said:

Those guys are great. I have a crush on Shane (esp. when Ryan says to the camera in some episodes, "Are ghosts real?" and the camera cuts to Shane, shaking his head "no" ? ? )

• Love 3

1 hour ago, scoutsadie said:

Those guys are great. I have a crush on Shane (esp. when Ryan says to the camera in some episodes, "Are ghosts real?" and the camera cuts to Shane, shaking his head "no" ? ? )

Same lol he's just got that cute innocent look. The haunted museum one with annabell was hilarious. 

Edited by Coco
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, petrushka said:

I suspect Chels, John and the baby are headed to Iowa for Thanksgiving.

Nope. They had Thanksgiving with the Bontragers but it was at Chelsy and John’s place near the Maxwell Fathership.

If that isn’t a giant FU to the Maxwells and their You Get One Scoop of Mash and One Spoon of Soggy Mayo Salad And Nobody Is Allowed To Bring Anything Else version of Thanksgiving lunch, I don’t know what is.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

Slightly changing direction: somehow I’m now FB following Grace Maher — sister-in-law of Nathan Max via his marriage to Melanie Maher — and she is class-y while also apparently doing moderately well in the Nashville music scene. 

I devoutly hope her Maxwell nieces know her and get to spend time with her. What a great role model for the ABC’s to be able to see a young woman living an unfettered life! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Nope. They had Thanksgiving with the Bontragers but it was at Chelsy and John’s place near the Maxwell Fathership.

If that isn’t a giant FU to the Maxwells and their You Get One Scoop of Mash and One Spoon of Soggy Mayo Salad And Nobody Is Allowed To Bring Anything Else version of Thanksgiving lunch, I don’t know what is.

For some reason this makes me exceedingly happy. Not only are John & Chelsy not at the Maxhell's & with the Bontragers instead - which in and of itself doesn't seem to be an issue with Steve, since they travel to the Bontragers often - but they instead had the Bontragers come to them, one mere mile from the fathership. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Here's a photo that an FJer shared on the Bontrager thread (unfortunately, the window frame isn't visible, so no telling if it has been completed/fixed yet):

Edited by scoutsadie

58 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

For some reason this makes me exceedingly happy. Not only are John & Chelsy not at the Maxhell's & with the Bontragers instead - which in and of itself doesn't seem to be an issue with Steve, since they travel to the Bontragers often - but they instead had the Bontragers come to them, one mere mile from the fathership. 

Wonder if the Maxwells were included at the meal?  I can't imagine Chelsy snubbing them, but I can imagine Steve declining to go, as there can only be one dominant patriarch holding forth and he ain't sharing the spotlight with Marlin if he can help it.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

Here's a photo that an FJer shared on the Bontrager thread (unfortunately, the window frame isn't visible, so no telling if it has been completed/fixed yet):

I can't imagine the whole fam was down in Kansas for the holiday... unless some of them were sleeping in the bus. Wouldn't THAT be awesome - a f*n-loving supersized family staying just a few doors down from the Fathership. Take that, Stevehovah!

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic