IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

To be honest I would be stoked to get some of those bug zappers. During bonfire season, friends will come over and bring some and we share, and I think "I should get one of those" and then never buy them. And now I'm thinking about it but I know I can't get one until summer, when they become necessary again, in which case I won't want to waste time at the store looking for them.

I wouldn't. So many studies show that they kill off beneficial bugs more than pests, and perceived fewer mosquitos are placebo (esp. since mosquitoes hunt via CO2 detectors not light)

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/do-bug-zappers-work/

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

38 minutes ago, jegfile said:

New Post: I absolutely HATE eating in front of people who aren't eating.

Me too. Would it have killed Steve and Teri to get a drink? How hard would it have been to get some water or if they were feeling wild and crazy - a cup of tea or coffee.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I'm typing up my notes from a meeting yesterday on the corrective action for a defect of some manufactured parts and there is more warmth in my document than this post.  I hope Teri is just a horribly bad at expressing herself and she's softer than she comes off, but I doubt it.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Omg. Abby looks like she’s nearly as tall as Steve! Funny to think that she’s only two years older than Bethany. Bethany and Tina are much closer in height, and they’ve got a similar gap. Genetics are so weird, and super interesting too.

• Upvote 6

55 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Omg. Abby looks like she’s nearly as tall as Steve! Funny to think that she’s only two years older than Bethany. Bethany and Tina are much closer in height, and they’ve got a similar gap. Genetics are so weird, and super interesting too.

Poor Abby.  She turns 12 this year so that means her playtime starts getting cut back if it hasn't already.  It's a shame they can't spend their gift cards on toys, jewelry, clothing etc.  Gotta go to fucking Hobby Lobby and be practical.  Taco Bell is gross.  Why is it always a Mexican restaurant when they eat out.  I remember when Wonder Woman Melanie was in the hospital having Drew someone brought her Chipotle.

Edited by SPHASH
Typo
  • Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I noticed that too. My daughter grew very early and was taller than most in her middle school class.  And we, her parents, are both quite short. She is now considered short because other kids kept growing and she did not. 
Anyway, I think it is common for some to treat taller kids as though they are older. This worries me in Abbie’s case because she probably already has so many responsibilities and to look “more adult” than she is could easily add to that stress in the Maxwell home.  
My daughter moved to adult sized shoes when she was still playing with dolls. It was so difficult for her to balance that transition. I remember how sad she was that she could no longer wear the in-style lacy socks with beads around the lace.  My sister in law surprised her with a package in the mail. She had bought a six-pack of ladies socks, crocheted lace on the edges and added colorful beads. Such a lovely gift that allowed my daughter to still be the little girl she wanted to be.  I hope the Maxwells are careful with things like that with Abbie.  I doubt it, though.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 14

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Poor Abby.  She turns 12 this year so that means her playtime starts getting cut back if it hasn't already.  It's a shame they can't spend their gift cards on toys, jewelry, clothing etc.  Gotta go to fucking Hobby Lobby and be practical.  Taco Bell is gross.  Why is it always a Mexican restaurant when they eat out.  I remember when Wonder Woman Melanie was in the hospital having Drew someone brought her Chipotle.

I guess I don’t see the issue. The girls like crafting projects and picking out their own supplies. Maybe they don’t care for toys that much, but HL does carry toys, jewelry etc so I’m sure if that was what they wanted to pick out they would have. I dislike most of what the Maxwell’s do and dislike what they’ve done to their children. But I guess I just don’t find anything to rip in this post. They got out of the house and the girls got to get some craft supplies and lunch out. Better than a new a Bible cover for Christmas. 

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

My daughter moved to adult sized shoes when she was still playing with dolls.

Same with me! I actually wore larger shoes in 5th grade than I do now because I insisted to my mother that 6.5 was too tight and my toes squished against the end so she bought me a size 7 (I now almost exclusively wear a 6.5, sometimes a 6 depending on style or brand) so I transitioned to adult sizes while still in elementary school. I was considered tall then, too, but I maxed out at 5'2" sometime during middle school. I secretly played with my Barbie dolls well longer than I "should" have- I just really liked dressing them up. But, I had the luxury of an actual childhood with lots of free play and my own room to play with whatever toys I wanted. The responsibilities laid on these girls at such young age is sad.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

No matter if Abby is tall or short, since she’s the oldest Maxwell grandchild, she will be expected to act much more mature than the rest. Sure this happens with oldest siblings in fundie families. But I imagine it happens with oldest grandchildren as well. I bet Mackenzie Duggar is expected to act like the mature oldest grandchild while Josie (similar age) is babied because she is the youngest Duggar child.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

Okay, that clipboard thing was so stupid and such a Stick-in-the-Ass-Steve thing to do. 

Also, I find it weird that in Chris's family, the girls continue to dress alike but it's okay for the boys to be different. It's like, boys are allowed individuality, but not girls. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8

I’m an outlier because I thought the challenge was an interesting idea.  Maybe a better context if it was a homeschool project rather than a day with the grandparents, but whatever.  The girls got to exercise their math skills and decision making abilities.  My family does this, too.  I once spent a $50 gift card and my final purchase was $50.04.

it did annoy me that Teri didn’t bother to say which girl won the challenge.

• Upvote 6

On 1/9/2020 at 12:22 PM, LaughingDonuts said:

I also agonize over small things. Constantly. So I very much understand that. I just don’t think I need to blog about it, because I don’t think anyone but my therapist is really that interested in analyzing my neurotic thoughts. Heck, probably not even my therapist is 

Friends that tell you that aren't good friends.

Most of my friends are neurodiverse.  All my close friends are.  I need to talk about stuff like that or we won't be able to interact smoothly.  My friends are all broke and crazy, though, most of them more broke than I am.  I'm one of the few who can afford therapy, and it never really did anything for me.   

A lot of what Teri writes is asinine, but I don't see the harm in asking God about a purchase if that's what you believe in.  That's different from asking God to make you see that your husband can do no wrong.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

I am a bit confused by the gift card spending challenge. Was Steve wanting them to find things that add up as closely as possible to the  amount of the gift card so they can use it all up in one trip, or trying to get them to not spend over it? And if they had gone over and brought their own money to cover it then what was wrong with that?  I mean if you hand someone $20 and say that’s all you get then there’ll only to pick out what adds up to $20 or less anyway. If he was trying to get them to buy anything and everything they could just to get rid of what was one card that seems silly. Why not save it for later. I think I’m just misunderstanding what Terie is trying to say. But it does sound like it was just a math lesson. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Odd1Out said:

I am a bit confused by the gift card spending challenge. Was Steve wanting them to find things that add up as closely as possible to the  amount of the gift card so they can use it all up in one trip, or trying to get them to not spend over it? And if they had gone over and brought their own money to cover it then what was wrong with that?  I mean if you hand someone $20 and say that’s all you get then there’ll only to pick out what adds up to $20 or less anyway. If he was trying to get them to buy anything and everything they could just to get rid of what was one card that seems silly. Why not save it for later. I think I’m just misunderstanding what Terie is trying to say. But it does sound like it was just a math lesson. 

It does sound more like a creative homeschool exercise. There may have been a reward or some extra cash to spend for the kis whose math was best. Steve is mathy so I could see him thinking this was fun.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Steve is mathy so I could see him thinking this was fun.

I would find this fun now.  (Also mathy.)  I actually think it's a pretty great homeschooling exercise...whether it was appropriate on a fun trip depends on whether or not the girls enjoyed it.

Frankly, I'd want to do this if I were shopping with Steve because I'd rather talk to him about math than literally anything else.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 5

8 hours ago, dawbs said:

I wouldn't. So many studies show that they kill off beneficial bugs more than pests, and perceived fewer mosquitos are placebo (esp. since mosquitoes hunt via CO2 detectors not light)

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/do-bug-zappers-work/

We usually use the paddle kind on top of the usual tactics (citronella candles, bug spray, appropriate clothing.) . It's more of a "this one is irritating me, let me get it." system. 

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I would find this fun now.  (Also mathy.)  I actually think it's a pretty great homeschooling exercise...whether it was appropriate on a fun trip depends on whether or not the girls enjoyed it.

Frankly, I'd want to do this if I were shopping with Steve because I'd rather talk to him about math than literally anything else.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with it and I actually applaud Steve for attempting to make the girls' trip fun. It's nice to see him doing memorable things with the ABCs.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Okay, that clipboard thing was so stupid and such a Stick-in-the-Ass-Steve thing to do. 

Also, I find it weird that in Chris's family, the girls continue to dress alike but it's okay for the boys to be different. It's like, boys are allowed individuality, but not girls. 

I think the girls dress alike so often because NRAnna keeps making them matching dresses. Little girl jumpers aren’t super difficult to make (according to my mom. I wouldn’t know). But little boy shirts are harder. I think NRAnna enjoys seeing so she keeps making matching dresses.

• Upvote 5

My cousin and I share a god-son. He is 11 now. For Christmas, we got him tickets to a Milwaukee Buck's game, and yes, it happened! He brought a friend. We went for pizza first at an organ piper place where we ate, they played in the arcade, we partied with the organ player and his music. 

At the game, we bought them a shit ton of snacks. I don't even remember them all. Pretzles & cheese. Nachos. Hot dogs. Whatever else they asked for. And, being growing boys, they ate it all. 

After the game, we went "out for drinks". At the custard stand where, even though it was -10, the boys had serious sunday style concoctions. 

I am forever grateful that my god-son gets to have fun and experience life without rules and restrictions - on a night that's a gift. 

• Love 13

On 1/8/2020 at 10:44 PM, Black Aliss said:
On 1/8/2020 at 8:28 PM, PennySycamore said:

not-so-nice women, in other words floozies,  have big busts and narrow eyes.  

Ummm, you mean like. . .

Reveal hidden contents

squint.thumb.jpg.a5c36a5bdd29c27e64d8d9182450dac6.jpg

@Black Aliss, you beat me to it! I always think of that  when I see The First Lady (you should pardon the expression). In fact, I posted something in the Politics forum a while back, about Melania having gotten all of that plastic surgery, only to end up looking like Eddie Corbett's idea of a mean lady, and included a clip of that scene.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

We usually use the paddle kind on top of the usual tactics (citronella candles, bug spray, appropriate clothing.) . It's more of a "this one is irritating me, let me get it." system. 

THAT kind is satisfying in that "damnit, I WILL kill that varmint "way.

(Also, since females bite to help lay their eggs, if they bite you and get away, you're responsible for the next generation) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the girls dress alike so often because NRAnna keeps making them matching dresses. Little girl jumpers aren’t super difficult to make (according to my mom. I wouldn’t know). But little boy shirts are harder. I think NRAnna enjoys seeing so she keeps making matching dresses.

You're correct. Little boy shirts are every bit as much work as a full-size men's shirt (in other words, hours and hours) yet even more frustrating because the pieces are smaller. NR-Anna's early work (seen sometimes on the older girls - it was in the comments on the baby announcement picture last summer that they were handed down from older cousins and NR-Anna's sister) seems to be more fancy. The gathered ones they have been seen wearing in family pictures on the blog this fall look to be a much simpler design.

• Upvote 5

There's a very cool-sounding mosquito zapper that I keep meaning to look into. It uses a propane tank to generate CO2 so it only lures mosquitos. You place it a short distance away from where people are hanging out but it's supposed to clear up to 1/4 acre or so. I'd probably put the deceased mosquitos out on a tray for the birds, to assuage my guilt, though.

• Upvote 3

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice, but Jana Duggar and Sarah Maxwell's birthdays are just one week apart.

I think there is some truth to astrology, so I find that a little interesting.  

• Confused 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic