IGNORED

Maxwell 34: Vest Management While Climbing a 14er

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Please please please this must be a thread title!!!

I put it on the list.  It's a long list right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 3

On 12/17/2019 at 8:57 PM, Jasmar said:
On 12/13/2019 at 10:06 AM, fundiefan said:

They are exasperating with their mundane existence. 

It makes me anxious to think of their lives and see that absolutely nothing ever, ever changes and nothing ever, ever happens and no one ever, ever learns/grows/develops. 

The Maxwell's picture is the only definition of stagnant in the dictionary. 

Oh my gosh, they’re a living tableau of a Dantesque level of hell! Around and around and around, and nothing. Ever. Changes. For all eternity.

I think this contributes greatly to Terri's depression. I also wonder if Sarah thinks of marriage "What's the point it'll just be this boring but with the demand for sex and all the demands of babies and children?" No, I imagine she doesn't think this, but probably does want to fulfill her purpose and have a husband and children. I don't think there's a chance in hell of that happening though. I still hope Anna and Mary may "be found" husbands by Steve. At least it's out of Mom/Dad's house.

• Upvote 4

I’ve been away so this might be totally OTW, but has Sarah started shaping her eyebrows? They look different and IMHO, not for the better. 

• Upvote 1

New post up and Mary and Anna pulled a guy at a drive-through.

The person who bought our coffee didn’t even receive that in response to their kindness as we had no way to thank him.

Mary love, I’m sure he could of thought of many ways you and your sister could have thanked him....

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

Here is my question. Did they pay it forward? I highly doubt they paid for the people behind them or they would have have posted a pic of the person behind them receiving their free order. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

46 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Here is my question. Did they pay it forward? I highly doubt they paid for the people behind them or they would have have posted a pic of the person behind them receiving their free order. 

It never occurs to them to pay it forward.  That's how self righteous they are.  They think since they are saved by Jesus they don't need to do things like pay it forward, plus they wouldn't be able to preach Jesus in a drive thru.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 15
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, SPHASH said:

It never occurs to them to pay it forward.  That's how self righteous they are.  They think since they are saved by Jesus they don't need to do things like pay it forward, plus they wouldn't be able to preach Jesus in a drive thru.

I never understand this pay it forward thing with the free coffee.  The first person paid for their order and the order behind them.  I'm than expected to pay for the people behind me? What if the oder behind me is more than I was planning to spend on my own coffee?  Now I'm out more money because the person in front of me tried to pay for my order?  Am I the asshole?  What if the person in front of me liget wanted to help ME out by paying and wasn't trying to create some self aggrandizing "pay it forward chain".  I don't get it.  Someone gets free coffee at the end, but it always feels like that person is the asshole for accepting the gift.   Maybe I need to watch that movie... I don't think the coffee chains are really paying anything forward.  Only one person get's "blessed" in the end.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 3

8 minutes ago, Charliemae said:

I never understand this pay it forward thing with the free coffee.  The first person paid for their order and the order behind them.  I'm than expected to pay for the people behind me? What if the oder behind me is more than I was planning to spend on my own coffee?  Now I'm out more money because the person in front of me tried to pay for my order?  Am I the asshole?  What if the person in front of me liget wanted to help ME out by paying and wasn't trying to create some self aggrandizing "pay it forward chain".  I don't get it.  Someone gets free coffee at the end, but it always feels like that person is the asshole for accepting the gift.   Maybe I need to watch that movie... I don't think the coffee chains are really paying anything forward.  Only one person get's "blessed" in the end.

THANK YOU!  I agree 100%.  I want to pay for my own because I know what I ordered and am willing to pay for.  If the car behind me has a larger order how am I an asshole for not wanting to cover that?  

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 3

Mary is a really terrible writer. The other day I looked up her OCC report just to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was actually worse!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Charliemae said:

I came here to say this!!!

I thought “pay it forward” started as meaning “you did something nice for me. I will go out and do something nice for somebody else.” The coffee line is just a bunch of people paying for a coffee order and the gift seems to be lost in some kind of game. 

And, yes, with my luck, the person ahead of would pay for my mocha and I’d offer to pay for the next person. The next person is an office assistant buying ten Grande whatevers with extra whatever, two pumps of whatever and I owe $73.98!

I bet Mary and Anna have never heard of someone paying for the next order and they probably know nothing about paying it forward. I wonder if Steve grew suspicious about this whole thing and started googling “stranger pays for coffee.”

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I'm a little concerned about those cups Mary and Anna are holding from the coffee place.

They look much more "Holiday" than "Christmas".  Damn that war on Christmas!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 15

24 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I'm a little concerned about those cups Mary and Anna are holding from the coffee place.

They look much more "Holiday" than "Christmas".  Damn that war on Christmas!

It's rough out there for Christians in 2019 America! Haha

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 4

You know what, Maxwells? I went to the McDonalds drive thru for the first time in years because I was out and about and needed coffee. I paid for my coffee and added $2 to the Ronald MacDonald House as well as paying for the person behind me. 

Why? Certainly not to post it on a blog to show how special I am. Not to do anything other than be kind. It's pretty common these days, to pay for the person behind you. If, however, I did that and YOU were the ones behind me and used it on your blog to show how special you are, I'd deliver dog shit to your door. 

Doing random acts of kindness is not magic. Not required, not a reward for your godliness. Human beings do nice, random things for other random humans all the time. And paying for the person behind you in a drive thru is one of the most common. I don't mean to demean that - I applaud it. But, it's really not anything special about YOU. 

I also left 2 bags of candy at the register after I left Target. I bought candy stocking stuffers for the kids in my family and threw more than necessary in my cart. I grabbed a couple little bags from the POS stock and left the candy for the next 2 customers. Not to be special. Not to be anything. Just...because. I rang it up, I paid for it, I didn't need it, someone else might smile. 

I would so hate to believe myself so damn special. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 7

6 hours ago, Charliemae said:

Exactly. I get that people like to keep it going, but the person who started it wanted to do something nice for the person behind them. But if that person feels obligated to pay for the next Order which could be way more than what they had $ for, and so on and so on...  what’s wrong with them accepting the nice gesture and then doing something nice for someone else at another time of their choosing? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I thought “pay it forward” started as meaning “you did something nice for me. I will go out and do something nice for somebody else.”

I thought this as well.  It doesn’t obligate me to pay for the guy behind if the guy in front chose to treat  me. But it does encourage me to be alert to a time when I can benefit someone without expecting reciprocity. 

Oh, Maxwells.  Just reading comments about your comments would annoy me if I let you get to me. But I’ve busied myself so much with kind acts, recently, that  happy memories of those things leave little room in which to ruminate upon you. 

• Upvote 6

It was my impression that one person, feeling generous, leaves the drive-thru clerk with some amount of money, say $100, to cover the orders from  people in line behind them. The clerk tells the next person in line that their order is paid for; maybe they give the clerk some money, maybe they don't, but it keeps going until the money given by customers is spent. Otherwise, how would you get billed for someone's $75 order after you've already left the line, presumably with your credit card back in your wallet?

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

It was my impression that one person, feeling generous, leaves the drive-thru clerk with some amount of money, say $100, to cover the orders from  people in line behind them. The clerk tells the next person in line that their order is paid for; maybe they give the clerk some money, maybe they don't, but it keeps going until the money given by customers is spent. Otherwise, how would you get billed for someone's $75 order after you've already left the line, presumably with your credit card back in your wallet?

when I worked for chick fil a this happened all of the time. It’s a joy FM thing. What would happen is a person, after they paid for their meal in the drive thru, would say they wanted to pay for the car behind them. We would tell them the total and they would pay for all or part of it. When the next car pulled up we would tell them their meal was paid for, in part or in full, by the car in front of them. They would then decide if they wanted to pay for the car behind them. We usually didn’t have it happen at the front counter. Every once in a while someone would pay for a cops meal. 

According to Steve's Dads column, the Maxwells harassed caroled to their neighbors again this year.

Steve said he's glad "the marrieds" bundle up their children and come along.  I think we know where Sarah came up with "and unders" from on her Random Life post.

Does Steve think it's more efficient to use terms like that rather than use a few more words?  It's weird, and it's like they're not people, they're "marrieds", and "unders". 

Maybe he should start referring to his daughters as "the spinsters" and himself as the "clogged heart valves".

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 1

I don’t know if my interpretation of “pay it forward” is accurate but here’s how I handle it.

Say I find out my coffee was paid for, I thank the server because the person who paid for it is usually long gone. On occasion I will pay for the person behind me if they’re obviously a single person order (as I am a single person order myself, this usually keeps the money aspect “even”). Other times I simply take the coffee, say thanks and make a mental note to do something nice soon. Whether it’s for a stranger or not. I just sort of try to even put the good deeds. To me paying it forward isn’t always doing the exact replica of what was done for you. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

I've been in the car with my daughter when one of those 'pay it forward' things was happening at a coffee drive-thru located in a parking lot used by several businesses.  The daughter in question told me this has happened to her before.  She usually just pays for her order and moves on.  If she's in a good mood, she tells the employees to keep her change and add it to the 'pay it forward' amount.  Daughter told me one time the car behind her was full of people who seemed to know what was up because they cut off other customers in line and kept shouting out to the cars in front of them to hurry up before the free coffee was gone.  She wasn't inclined to donate to those people, so she got her free coffee and left.

As it turns out, there are times when a business* will start off priming the pump** by telling a customer that their order has been paid for and count on that person to pay for their own order and maybe donate a bit in return.  Few people want to be the asshole who makes an order and doesn't keep the chain going by playing along.  Meanwhile, the business will either post on their own social media that they have a 'pay it forward' thing going on, or count on customers to spread the word.  

A business that has a 'pay it forward' campaign really has no downside to think of.  They get to look like they're wonderful for passing on the good will of others to their customers.  If the 'pay it forward' was really started by a customer, I have to question why they did so.  How many really impoverished people who have a car are going to a drive-thru when those people could get it much cheaper at a restaurant or by making it at home?

*In our area, I've only heard of it happening in drive-thru coffee shops whose cup of black coffee is still more expensive than the local McDonald's or Denny's.

**Pump priming is the action taken to stimulate an economy, usually during a recessionary period, through government spending and interest rate and tax reductions. The term pump priming is derived from the operation of older water pumps - a suction valve had to be primed with water so that the pump would function properly.  (Personal note:  When I was a kid, we had to do this often to get our water pump to work.  You have to give a little to get things started so you could get back more water.)

I do have an example of the 'pay it forward' benefiting my family, for a day.  My husband had left, I was floundering and my oldest daughter took a job at a fast food restaurant.  I didn't know it at the time, but she was not taking a lunch from home to eat.  She would go to her car and sit there until it was time to go back to work.  One day she showed up with $10 and asked if she should buy food or if she could apply it to her car insurance.  Earlier that day while she was sitting in her car, a man approached and knocked on her window.  I guess he was there when she was told to go on her lunch break and when he left the store he saw her in her car and not eating.  They talked for a few minutes, I think he was trying to figure out what was going on and if his money would be better spent elsewhere.  There were a few questions about her religion and an invitation to visit his church.  His wife and kids stood off to the side, watching.  In the end he shoved a $20 bill through the window and told her to pay it forward when she was able.  She bought a hamburger and after work she put some gas in her car.  

Don't think that fixed everything.  A $20 dollar bill helped in the very short term, and is still appreciated.  That incident didn't suddenly wake me up and become a super mom.  I didn't somehow become a woman who worked two jobs and spent the rest of her time making a great home life and infusing her children with love, advice, and support, and now they're all adults with great lives.  We've struggled mightily, and I'm still astounded at how much my kids are continually trying to forge out their own lives while dealing with their own damaged parents.

Taking part in a 'pay it forward' popup campaign isn't really going to do much.  It might feel good to say "I gave some money to someone less fortunate, yay me!"  You don't know if any of your efforts will really help people who need help.  If you want to really to help, donate your time or services to causes that have a proven record. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

Once in awhile I give an extra $20 to the cashier at the McDonald’s drive through and ask that it be used to pay for coffee for the seniors who gather there. I know that my father-in-law (in a different town) goes to a McDonald’s every morning. It is a really important social group for him and a good reason to get up and dressed each morning. I miss my now deceased parents and this little gesture brings me comfort. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 3

I pay for the order behind me often.  I do it cause I hope that it will be a bright spot in someone's day.  Just a simple act to let them know that there is good.  I know it may just be a coffee.  It might be a muffin or a sandwich.  Yes they had money to pay by themselves or they wouldn't be in the line.  But maybe it will just give them a moment of joy.   Nothing more.  I don't expect them to pay for the car behind them.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

According to the comments, the family had not heard of the pay-it-forward thing. 
I don’t know if it’s a thing in the UK. I don’t go to coffee shops or drive thrus that often. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

According to the comments, the family had not heard of the pay-it-forward thing. 
I don’t know if it’s a thing in the UK. I don’t go to coffee shops or drive thrus that often. 

I've also heard of people doing it at toll booths.  I had never heard of it turning into a rolling event of everyone immediately following suit, but I guess it makes sense that it would sometimes do so.  

I believe the phrase "pay it forward" just means responding to a bit of good fortune (from any source) by doing a good/kind deed for someone else.  Does not need to be in the same physical line or even the same day, just "pass on the kindness" in some way.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

So I am not in general a fan of the coffee chains, but I also understand people are just being generous and kind.  I don’t think anyone is obligated to keep it up. However, the maxwells are not generous or kind people.  Thing of the years we have been snarking on them...the only time they ever give anything is if they can also give you a tract or witness to you.  And they certainly never cultivated an attitude of giving and generosity to their children.  Just think back to the Steve serving homeless men and deciding they might corrupt his dear sons,

they suck.  But I think everyone knows I think that, so it’s not really a revelation.

• Upvote 12

• Coconut Flan locked this topic