Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Coconut Flan

M is for Mama 5: Praying for Lunch

Recommended Posts

Meh
Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants

Praying for breakfast is more like it. On today’s IG AH (asshole) describes her boot camp method of child rearing. The school aged kids don’t get to eat breakfast until their Math is completed for the day. I’ll add cruel to AH’s list of faults. STOP have kids, AH.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 12
  • I Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
Hane
2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Praying for breakfast is more like it. On today’s IG AH (asshole) describes her boot camp method of child rearing. The school aged kids don’t get to eat breakfast until their Math is completed for the day. I’ll add cruel to AH’s list of faults. STOP have kids, AH.

I guess my sister, a public school teacher specializing in math and science, is wrong for keeping a supply of healthy snacks in her desk for students who come to school hungry.

Edited by Hane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SassyPants

I guess if Abbie has to be unhappy by birthing kid after kid that she really has no interest in raising, everyone in the house also has to be miserable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar

Some kids aren’t interested in eating right when they get up while other kids wake up hungry. What she is doing may not bother the kids who aren’t hungry when they wake up but it is really shitty for the kids who wake up hungry. She only cares about “training” them. That’s all that really matters to Braggie. Not the feelings of her children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pupper

So her message to her kids is, "Math is the worst thing ever and I can only entice you to do it by withholding food." Nice way to make kids hate math.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bea

cbd3ba3d84b8a7549fc95480b1ce3917.plist&key=0cbe895427414024496c307ab80bdde5717638f9d3457157d92a99abd9eefbb7

b30a7162d88a66f644d6d76174c997a3.jpg

So they get up at 6:30am and instead of EATING, they do math. And when they protested that they want to eat breakfast, she told them they could wait.

I can’t even imagine trying a math lesson done on an empty stomach. Bet she had breakfast, though.

Ugh, Abbie, even your leg-humpers think it’s weird.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea

Today a read an article about what happens to Mommy Bloggers who curate a perfect-looking life and then go through a divorce and/or crisis of faith and/or anything else big and negative. It focused on Natalie of Hey Natalie Jean, a blog I'd never heard of.

Anyway, it became obvious to me that Abbie is trying to emulate the fun tone with just a bit of younger slang used by Natalie and no doubt, other mommy bloggers. The differences are: Natalie is a much deeper feeler and therefore has a certain depth to her writing, and Natalie loves and appears to treat her one kid well.

The article: (Natalie is an ex-Mormon, so may or may not be relevant here):

https://www.elle.com/life-love/a29438763/natalie-lovin-mommy-blog-influencer/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
1 hour ago, bea said:

cbd3ba3d84b8a7549fc95480b1ce3917.plist&key=0cbe895427414024496c307ab80bdde5717638f9d3457157d92a99abd9eefbb7

b30a7162d88a66f644d6d76174c997a3.jpg

So they get up at 6:30am and instead of EATING, they do math. And when they protested that they want to eat breakfast, she told them they could wait.

I can’t even imagine trying a math lesson done on an empty stomach. Bet she had breakfast, though.

Ugh, Abbie, even your leg-humpers think it’s weird.

 

 

My oldest really takes a good 10-15 minutes to have a fully functioning brain in the morning. He’s a very loud and energetic child most of the time. So I know he’s still “waking up” if he’s quiet and not jumping around. There’s no way he could do math right when he woke up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pandorasjen

Man! The more I read about this woman, the more I hate her. I homeschool my oldest three kids (my youngest is three and aged out of early intervention so he goes to public school. It's a two hour a day program that also incorporates therapies for him.) and I would never force my children to do math before they ate. My oldest has started to not eat breakfast in the mornings and I worry about it. I just keep waking him up in time to eat breakfast in case he is hungry. We will see how it goes next year when he goes to public high school (his choice). If he has a later lunch, it might change his thoughts on breakfast.

While math is important, it's not important enough to do before breakfast. Maybe I'm overreacting, but that pings my abuse radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bea

Wow, that article on Natalie was really interesting - good find. I’m always interested (OBVIOUSLY) in what’s behind the pretty words/pictures. The fundie blogs and fundie bloggers are just as much “lifestyle blogging” as Natalie, just not as sponsored. It’s all curated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
32 minutes ago, bea said:

Wow, that article on Natalie was really interesting - good find. I’m always interested (OBVIOUSLY) in what’s behind the pretty words/pictures. The fundie blogs and fundie bloggers are just as much “lifestyle blogging” as Natalie, just not as sponsored. It’s all curated.

That’s why I’ve always taken so much of it with a grain of salt. I side eye the shit out of Braggie’s posts. If she’s willing to talk about withholding breakfast before math is done, what isn’t she telling us?!

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luv2laugh
7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Praying for breakfast is more like it. On today’s IG AH (asshole) describes her boot camp method of child rearing. The school aged kids don’t get to eat breakfast until their Math is completed for the day. I’ll add cruel to AH’s list of faults. STOP have kids, AH.

What the hell is Abbie Halberstadt’s problem? 
 

There is a reason students are instructed to eat and bring protein-rich snacks when taking a standardized exam. Eating is important to function.

Edited by luv2laugh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperNova
4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Some kids aren’t interested in eating right when they get up while other kids wake up hungry. What she is doing may not bother the kids who aren’t hungry when they wake up but it is really shitty for the kids who wake up hungry. She only cares about “training” them. That’s all that really matters to Braggie. Not the feelings of her children.

We're not kids anymore but Mr Nova and I are one of each. I have to eat as soon as I wake up whereas Mr Nova needs to be awake for a few hours before he's ready. 

Withholding food is by far the worst part of this post but this is what stood out to me:

"let's say my kid is having trouble staying in his bed at night or asking for snacks politely or finishing math in a timely manner or organizing her supplies well...instead of throwing up my hands or mentally preparing for an epic battle, I tell myself we need to have a "____________ bootcamp" instead. (Insert whatever behavior needs work). I give myself one week to dedicate more of my energies to that one thing..."

Abbie calls normal parenting "bootcamp". WTF? She has too many children to pay close attention to and has to basically put kids on ignore until they absolutely require her attention. Judging from the way she frames the need for the bootcamp (fuck, I hate the way that sounds), she only gives the attention when its an inconvenience for her.

Remember when Honor was wandering around the house making trouble because he was being ignored? IIRC, he flooded the bathroom several times and was hurt by the trampoline in the same week because no adult was there to supervise. I don't remember hearing anything about Abbie's shitty bootcamp then.

If she feels the need to mentally prepare for "an epic battle" over normal shit like organizing supplies then maybe Abbie needs the bootcamp. I volunteer as tribute. She can come see me and I'll give her a swift kick in the ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danvillebelle

At my high school (back in the stone age), classes started at 7am.  This topic is giving me flashbacks to 9th grade, when I had Algebra I first period.

It was fucking torture.

"Not organizing her supplies well" requires bootcamp?  Da fuq did I just read?  If the kid can find her own stuff in her own way and it isn't bothering Braggie, who the hell cares how it's organized?  UGH.

ETA:  this meme just showed up in my FB feed.  LOL. 

big bird meme.jpg

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 10
  • Haha 7
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
smittykins

The middle/high school bus arrives at my complex at 6:45 am(elementary around 7:55).  I thought it was bad when I had to get on my bus at 7:10.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danvillebelle
18 minutes ago, smittykins said:

The middle/high school bus arrives at my complex at 6:45

Yup.  I caught the bus at 6:15 for six years.   I still shudder when I see a school bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
therulesofjinx
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I thought it was bad when I had to get on my bus at 7:10.

Same. I remember it still being dark outside some mornings when I had to catch my bus, depending on the time of year. I don't have any children, but I think some school districts in my state actually switched school start times this year so high schoolers could start later, which is awesome.

If I had to do math without having breakfast, none of my answers would be correct. What happens if her children are struggling with a problem and are taking a long time to finish? Does she eventually let them eat or do they just not get breakfast that day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
3 minutes ago, therulesofjinx said:

Same. I remember it still being dark outside some mornings when I had to catch my bus, depending on the time of year. I don't have any children, but I think some school districts in my state actually switched school start times this year so high schoolers could start later, which is awesome.

If I had to do math without having breakfast, none of my answers would be correct. What happens if her children are struggling with a problem and are taking a long time to finish? Does she eventually let them eat or do they just not get breakfast that day?

Our school district changed start time. Now the elementary schools start earliest. Then the middle school and the high school starts the latest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
front hugs > duggs

My town was really small, so three different towns fed into our high school, which started at 7:30. My friend lived about 25-30 minutes from the school and her bus came around 6:15 as she was one of the very first stops. She would sleep on the bus for the next 45 minutes as it made the rest of the stops.

I lived about 5 minutes from school and still couldn't get there on time :pb_lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
Hane

@JermajestyDuggar, that was a smart move for your schools to make. I met some admins from the Orange County, Florida school system, who said they’d incorporated the same thing.

I’ve never been a morning person. Math was always my worst subject, and my grade school teachers always started the day with math because “everybody is fresh first thing in the morning!” Not me.

I was never happier than when I started college and could schedule most of my classes for later in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
29 minutes ago, Hane said:

@JermajestyDuggar, that was a smart move for your schools to make. I met some admins from the Orange County, Florida school system, who said they’d incorporated the same thing.

I’ve never been a morning person. Math was always my worst subject, and my grade school teachers always started the day with math because “everybody is fresh first thing in the morning!” Not me.

I was never happier than when I started college and could schedule most of my classes for later in the day.

I’m a mid to late morning type of person. I need some time to really wake up. So I’m not an early morning person. But mid and late morning are my jam. I can get a ton of stuff done during that time. Then in the afternoon I want to take a nap and I’m useless. It gets better in the evening. I get more energy again at that time. And then I’m usually useless after 9pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FunFunFundie

I wrote a letter to our superintendent this year because my kids aren't in high school yet, but the high school bus comes by at 6:15. If it's still that way when my kids are in high school, I'm driving them to school, even though it's 20 minutes each way, because I could leave at 6:45 and that's a big enough difference to make it worthwhile. The superintendent said they are looking into it but that some other districts had changed start times and then parents were pissed because the high schoolers didn't have enough time for sports in the evening. It's a zero sum game, people. You don't get more time if you start earlier, you just get less sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperNova

Abbie is back today talking about all the benefits of forcing math before food. Life has been damn near idyllic, except when the kids are trying to kill eachother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anachronistic

Of course they do operation Christmas child, aka, operation waste money, confuse a child who may already be Christian and doesn’t need your crap while imparting cultural ideas that may not be what they want and forcing your particular special Christianity on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.