IGNORED

M is for Mama 5: Praying for Lunch

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, ophelia said:

I just hate it when fundie refer to their kids as sinners. It just feels so damn wrong and condescending to talk about little persons like that. Especially when you follow an agenda where you are supposed to have as many kids as possible. Why have them when they are nothing more than a burden?

I hate the concept of sin and sinners in general. I’m not Christian so her shitty belief that we are all sinners can fuck right off. She can call herself a sinner all she wants. But calling me a sinner along with her kids and everyone else is bullshit. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

Her christmas morning post is extra special Abbie. Jesus doesn't stop testing her. Not even on Christmas morning. And since the baby Jesus probably didn't have peace and quiet in the manger, Abbie shouldn't expect it either. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

Yeah.  Except Mary probably didn't broadcast all her woes throughout Bethlehem that morning, because she wasn't a narcissistic twit.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 12/27/2019 at 10:43 AM, SuperNova said:

Her christmas morning post is extra special Abbie. Jesus doesn't stop testing her. Not even on Christmas morning. And since the baby Jesus probably didn't have peace and quiet in the manger, Abbie shouldn't expect it either. 

I wonder if the puking was from all the patterns in that house? My eyes need a damn break, Braggie. ?

I just really hate the way she talks about marriage and women and children and her fantasy idea of god as this person in the sky trying to sanctify her with hard things.

• Upvote 8

God this really bugs me. Louisa May Alcott didn’t actually want to marry Jo off in Little Women. But her publisher did tell her to do it because it’s what people want. How can Braggie not see the irony here?!? Braggie is one of those fucking publishers! She’s constantly pushing marriage and motherhood as the end all be all for every woman on the planet. She would speak out against women like Jo! Her blindness just kills me. She’s constantly thinking about herself yet she has no clue of who she really is. Her idea of who she is and who she actually is are complete opposites. The woman has zero self awareness. 

66172A47-48EA-4C73-A291-AE889C491D91.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

I’m so confused, yet amused, by fundies who love Little Women and the Alcotts, because it’s clear that they haven’t read any history or done a bit of research into who the Alcotts actually were. They were radicals, they were revolutionaries. Abba, Louisa’s mother, was a suffragette and social worker who ran an Underground Railroad station. Bronson participated in those things as well as pioneering new methods of education including integration and no corporal punishment. Okay, so Bronson wasn’t the best provider and kind of definitely almost starved his family during their 7 month Utopian experiment, but anyone can agree that he would have been firmly against the fundamentalist Christianity that we see in the US today.

I really, really, really want to see the movie but at 2 hours and 15 minutes I know that I don’t have the attention span for it, and I’d annoy other patrons by being noisy or moving. And they don’t appear to have sensory friendly showings anywhere, darn it. Greta Gurnwig (sp?) who made it filmed in my area and I want to see the spots she filmed on that I know, especially the place where (spoiler) Meg gets engaged because that’s one of my favorite walking spots out near my dads. (I am also really curious to know how they avoided showing the tons of electric fencing there. They couldn’t take it down or the cows would leave - can they take it out post production?)

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

@anachronistic, I bet they used CGI technology to remove the electric wires from the footage. 
The movie was well done, but my only (minor) peeve was that the houses were in a country setting, when the Marches et al actually lived in town.  I’m assuming time-appropriate external house settings weren’t available.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I’m so confused, yet amused, by fundies who love Little Women and the Alcotts, because it’s clear that they haven’t read any history or done a bit of research into who the Alcotts actually were. They were radicals, they were revolutionaries. Abba, Louisa’s mother, was a suffragette and social worker who ran an Underground Railroad station. Bronson participated in those things as well as pioneering new methods of education including integration and no corporal punishment. Okay, so Bronson wasn’t the best provider and kind of definitely almost starved his family during their 7 month Utopian experiment, but anyone can agree that he would have been firmly against the fundamentalist Christianity that we see in the US today.

I really, really, really want to see the movie but at 2 hours and 15 minutes I know that I don’t have the attention span for it, and I’d annoy other patrons by being noisy or moving. And they don’t appear to have sensory friendly showings anywhere, darn it. Greta Gurnwig (sp?) who made it filmed in my area and I want to see the spots she filmed on that I know, especially the place where (spoiler) Meg gets engaged because that’s one of my favorite walking spots out near my dads. (I am also really curious to know how they avoided showing the tons of electric fencing there. They couldn’t take it down or the cows would leave - can they take it out post production?)

So many fundies love Little Women, yet decide to ignore how feminist Jo is. She has no interest in marriage, children, or relying on any man. 

They also do this with Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth Bennet is not even close to meek or submissive. Yet fundie girls seem to love her. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

OMG. OMG. I’m posting this in the Good News thread too, but - related to my post above - I emailed a small indie movie house and they’re going to do a sensory friendly showing of Little Women! I get to see it! OMG!!!!!!!

The Alcott house, Orchard House, is about - wait I just looked this up, it’s 8/10 of a mile - from town, surrounded by suburbia now but it would’ve been pretty rural then. There was never great industry or anything on that side of Concord.  There are lots of woods and conservation areas which could easily make it seem like it was in the 1860s, and they filmed it all over eastern Massachusetts. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2019/12/22/arts/little-women-was-filmed-entirely-mass-heres-where-pivotal-scenes-were-shot/

• Upvote 6
  • Love 9

My students go on a field trip every year to concord! The concord museum & the battle fields are the main stops but im planning on asking my co teacher if she wants to do some detours lol 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So many fundies love Little Women, yet decide to ignore how feminist Jo is. She has no interest in marriage, children, or relying on any man. 

They also do this with Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth Bennet is not even close to meek or submissive. Yet fundie girls seem to love her. 

But the girls in these stories wear long, pretty dresses and there’s no slutty, slutty sex going on and there are tea parties and everybody is a Christian. Those are the most important things.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

She’s talking about her trichotillomania and this is her response to the idea of therapy and medication to treat. It bothers me so much that she refuses to try therapy or medication this year. Why put it off?!? I’m so tired of fundies trying to pray everything away. They end up waiting until things are really bad. 

10DFCF8A-EE16-4672-85C7-109AE35BEF9F.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

She's heard about supplements that help but hasn't tried them. She's heard good things about cognitive therapy but isn't ready to try it. 

If you don't want to go straight to prescription medication, that's fine, but then why not try the other things? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

53 minutes ago, katilac said:

She's heard about supplements that help but hasn't tried them. She's heard good things about cognitive therapy but isn't ready to try it. 

If you don't want to go straight to prescription medication, that's fine, but then why not try the other things? 

It breaks my heart for her, honestly. She could get evidence-based help that would keep her from suffering with this. There are many, many faith-based practitioners that could really help her. I just hope she realizes that it's not weak to ask for worldly help.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Eh, maybe getting help is part of that "self-care" women shouldn't be indulging in, according to Braggie. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

As usual, I feel the most sorry for the kids. They will suffer because their mother recognizes a problem and chooses not to treat it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

Very interesting that she's opening up about her compulsions now. I've had the distinct feeling that she's been emotionally floundering with all the grin and bear it type of posts lately. Her near constant suppression of stressors, whether real or imagined, have to find an outlet somewhere and apparently ripping out her hair is how she copes. It's sad.

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt here. Admitting you have a mental disorder is scary for anyone but for someone like Abbie who always wants to be seen as perfect, it must be near crippling to admit. So kudos for the honesty because once you tell people, you become more accountable. Actual therapy and meds would be better but being open about her mental health is at least a step in the right direction.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, SuperNova said:

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt here. Admitting you have a mental disorder is scary for anyone but for someone like Abbie who always wants to be seen as perfect, it must be near crippling to admit. So kudos for the honesty because once you tell people, you become more accountable. Actual therapy and meds would be better but being open about her mental health is at least a step in the right direction.

I too hope this is a step in the right direction. However, I have major doubts. We have seen this woman minimize so many major problems in her life. We’ve seen her just pray her way through everything. I have serious doubts that she will do anything other than pray. And that makes me so worried that she will influence her readers to do the same when it comes to serious issues. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I too hope this is a step in the right direction. However, I have major doubts. We have seen this woman minimize so many major problems in her life. We’ve seen her just pray her way through everything. I have serious doubts that she will do anything other than pray. And that makes me so worried that she will influence her readers to do the same when it comes to serious issues. 

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like to give credit where credit is due but I don't think Abbie will be turning over a new leaf here. She openly admitted in the past that she's had issues that needed therapy and then made the decision to reject any kind of outside help. I can't remember what the issue was and I'm not motivated enough to look it up but I think it was related to OCD, wasnt it?

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 3

How do people afford 10 plane tickets to europe? I just don’t understand this. Can someone help me out here?

082B7A5B-93B0-4885-914C-BB3EC1AC0934.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

How do people afford 10 plane tickets to europe? I just don’t understand this. Can someone help me out here?

082B7A5B-93B0-4885-914C-BB3EC1AC0934.jpeg

The little bit that I've seen about Braggie always made me think that they have family money somehow.  The constant redecorating and the clothes and dishes.... They've got money.  That's going to be a super-expensive trip.

Her kitchen!  Two dishwashers and the huge refrigerator!

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

OK, so this family of 10 is off to Europe...London, Paris, French countryside, Italy and Switzerland. Is this a working trip for the husband? Are they camping? How is this even plausible? Time and money being the limiting factors for most, young, small families,  HOW is this even possible for a mega family with a single wage earner?

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 8

They are also coming to Germany. Wow. It always terrifies me a little bit when the fundies I snark on come that close to home ?

What is trip about to cost? Any guesses?

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, ophelia said:

What is trip about to cost? Any guesses?

Just the plane tickets has got to be 10K, or close to it.  I'd say 15K would be a conservative trip estimate.  Probably more like 20.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic