IGNORED

Alyssa and John 4: SOTDRT Next Generation

GreyhoundFan

This is how you do "modern royal" via my favorite instagram #somanythoughts by Elizabeth Holmes (if you have any interest in the British royals you must must must follow her):

Screenshot_20191102-095850_Instagram.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

On 10/31/2019 at 11:15 AM, SassyPants said:

Isn’t there such a thing as permanent makeup, that you leave on for awhile? I just assumed that her eye makeup was that type of makeup.

I get my hair done by a stylist who also does permanent makeup. Eye-liner, lip color, and brow pigmentation. Once done, it lasts several years. She's really good at it and if I gave more shits about my appearance I'd consider it. ?

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2019 at 2:36 PM, Audrey2 said:

I showed two of my male friends the picture of Alyssa and the girls, and neither guessed Royal Family. One said flappers, and the other thought the same thing I had.

I had the same thought, but I would bet money Alyssa has no idea what a flapper is ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Kelly posted a photo of Alyssa and Gil in Florida on the family Insta account. And gasp, Alyssa is wearing skinny jeans! Can we interpret that as Gil and Kelly publicly showing they accept the changes she’s made since getting married? In the stories, Kelly gushes over her three granddaughters singing “let it go”... All this worldliness! ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, FluffySnowball said:

Kelly posted a photo of Alyssa and Gil in Florida on the family Insta account. And gasp, Alyssa is wearing skinny jeans! Can we interpret that as Gil and Kelly publicly showing they accept the changes she’s made since getting married? In the stories, Kelly gushes over her three granddaughters singing “let it go”... All this worldliness! ?

I don't think it can be interpreted as 'accepting the changes', more that they understand that they can't do anything about them - Alyssa is married and no-longer under their authority.  Kelly and Gil seem to love their grandchildren and enjoy mooching of their adult children erm...spending time with them.  John doesn't come across as a man who would take kindly to his wife being upset, Kelly and Gil toe the line because otherwise, the holidays to Florida would stop!

• Upvote 11

8 minutes ago, Syriana said:

I don't think it can be interpreted as 'accepting the changes', more that they understand that they can't do anything about them - Alyssa is married and no-longer under their authority.  Kelly and Gil seem to love their grandchildren and enjoy mooching of their adult children erm...spending time with them.  John doesn't come across as a man who would take kindly to his wife being upset, Kelly and Gil toe the line because otherwise, the holidays to Florida would stop!

Well, I didn’t mean they’re happy necessarily. But they publicly acknowledge how things are. On the show, all Bates women wear skirts so I expected Gil and Kelly to push the same “narrative” on their social media as well.

Also, just in case I didn’t make myself clear, I mean they might accept pants but not in the sense that they are happy. Instead, they don’t try to change what can’t be changed. Accepting something is very different from supporting and endorsing it and I don’t think the Bates parents are thrilled Alyssa dresses differently. 

Anyways, I’m just speculating here... 

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, FluffySnowball said:

Well, I didn’t mean they’re happy necessarily. But they publicly acknowledge how things are. On the show, all Bates women wear skirts so I expected Gil and Kelly to push the same “narrative” on their social media as well.

Also, just in case I didn’t make myself clear, I mean they might accept pants but not in the sense that they are happy. Instead, they don’t try to change what can’t be changed. Accepting something is very different from supporting and endorsing it and I don’t think the Bates parents are thrilled Alyssa dresses differently

Anyways, I’m just speculating here... 

Couldn't agree more - and not just Alyssa, Carlin pulled a wardrobe 180 when she got married.  The one thing Kelly is good at is smoothing out appearances so that they're socially more acceptable (unless or until you look below the surface).

• Upvote 5

In Carlin’s case, I’m not surprised she wanted to wear pants but was still a little baffled how quickly she dropped the “skirts only” rule. It was literally the day after the wedding. I’m guessing she bought the pants before cause... how quickly could she have gotten hold of a well-fitting pair? Good on her for doing her own thing, at least when it comes to fashion. 

I absolutely agree with your assessment of Kelly, @Syriana! I don’t expect scandals and PR disasters similar to the ones the Duggars experienced to happen to the Bates fam. Also, Kelly is much better at making her family appear in a less awkward and more positive light. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

They have always only asked that the daughters respect house rules while in Gil's house. Nothing has changed.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Syriana said:

I think that Kelly would love nothing more than to see all of her married kids still follow the same rules she and Gil imposed on them after their marriages, however, she knows nothing can be done about it because different headship.  Now I would not be surprised that in spite of her saying the kids can make the rules in their own homes, that she hasn't raised her eyebrows over some of it or even said something about it.  

Alyssa seems to prefer the distance from her family.   If there's one kid that Gil and Kelly might not want to provoke, it seems to be her.   And somehow I get the feeling that John, while he seems very nice, I don't think he's a pushover.  He might put Gil and Kelly in their place.   

ETA:  Being that Kelly and Gil are grifters extraordinaire, they will test the boundaries of all their married kids to see who they can mooch off the most.    I think Alyssa knows this and has the boundaries firmly in place. 

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 11

9 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

In Carlin’s case, I’m not surprised she wanted to wear pants but was still a little baffled how quickly she dropped the “skirts only” rule. It was literally the day after the wedding. I’m guessing she bought the pants before cause... how quickly could she have gotten hold of a well-fitting pair? Good on her for doing her own thing, at least when it comes to fashion. 

I absolutely agree with your assessment of Kelly, @Syriana! I don’t expect scandals and PR disasters similar to the ones the Duggars experienced to happen to the Bates fam. Also, Kelly is much better at making her family appear in a less awkward and more positive light. 

This makes me imagine one the married, pants-wearing sisters taking her on a covert skinny jeans shopping trip to TJ Maxx or something, haha. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

11 hours ago, pippi said:

This makes me imagine one the married, pants-wearing sisters taking her on a covert skinny jeans shopping trip to TJ Maxx or something, haha. 

I don’t think they have to keep that a secret. Kelly and Gil might not like it but they have already spun the pant narrative in a positive way for them. The girls wear skirts as long as they are still at home (under Gil’s headship) and follow this rule when visiting their home or appear on the show (my guess: that rule will go out of the window sooner or later). As soon as they marry they are free to make their own convictions (together with their new headship). 

Gil and Kelly aren’t stupid. With that narrative and the experience how well the public receives the younger hipper godly Bates girls I don’t believe they have a problem. I can actually see them regretting that they have been so vocal about pants only that they now have to keep that rule up or be exposed for the hypocrites they are.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 13

I know I am late to the Websters going trick or treating party. Anyway, I am happy to see Alyssa celebrating Halloween in some way with her children. As for the costumes, for a couple of years my family would dress up as the same thing like ladybugs for Halloween parties. Later on my sister and I would be dressed up in the same costume courtesy of Goodwill stores and Wal Marts craft section. I think that is what Alyssa did with her children. However, my parents never dressed up when they took me trick or treating. I was always jealous of my friends who's parents did that. So, in a way, I'm happy she dressed up with them. 

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I don’t think they have to keep that a secret. Kelly and Gil might not like it but they have already spun the pant narrative in a positive way for them. The girls wear skirts as long as they are still at home (under Gil’s headship) and follow this rule when visiting their home or appear on the show (my guess: that rule will go out of the window sooner or later). As soon as they marry they are free to make their own convictions (together with their new headship). 

Gil and Kelly aren’t stupid. With that narrative and the experience how well the public receives the younger hipper godly Bates girls I don’t believe they have a problem. I can actually see them regretting that they have been so vocal about pants only that they now have to keep that rule up or be exposed for the hypocrites they are.

Oh, I was just kidding around--I doubt they have to keep it a secret. Gil and Kelly are all about keeping their image palatable. I just found the idea of a secret jean shopping mission funny ?.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

One thing I've been wondering about since the younger Bates girls have decided to wear pants as soon as they get married is that I wonder when they go visit Alyssa or Whitney on their own to help take care of their kids they will let the unmarried Bates girl wear pants since their parents aren't around to say anything. Like Alyssa or Whitney could just keep a pair of jeans that's in their size around so that way the unmarried girls won't have to worry about hiding a pair of jeans under their parents' roof. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

One thing I've been wondering about since the younger Bates girls have decided to wear pants as soon as they get married is that I wonder when they go visit Alyssa or Whitney on their own to help take care of their kids they will let the unmarried Bates girl wear pants since their parents aren't around to say anything. Like Alyssa or Whitney could just keep a pair of jeans that's in their size around so that way the unmarried girls won't have to worry about hiding a pair of jeans under their parents' roof. 

I can actually see this happening. We know that Katie has (or at least had) leggings from a sponsored Fabletics Instagram story. She just showed them folded -- she wasn't wearing them. We speculated about how she would even wear them -- under dresses/skirts, as pajamas, etc. Later on, she went to help Alyssa when she was in and out of the hospital. I think Alyssa could have let her wear the leggings if Katie did end up bringing them. Kelly and Gil weren't there and since she wasn't in their home, she didn't have to follow their dress code rules.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

I can actually see this happening. We know that Katie has (or at least had) leggings from a sponsored Fabletics Instagram story. She just showed them folded -- she wasn't wearing them. We speculated about how she would even wear them -- under dresses/skirts, as pajamas, etc. Later on, she went to help Alyssa when she was in and out of the hospital. I think Alyssa could have let her wear the leggings if Katie did end up bringing them. Kelly and Gil weren't there and since she wasn't in their home, she didn't have to follow their dress code rules.

I think the unmarried daughters may feel to guilty to do that. Once they are married they are only “allowed” to wear pants if their headship says so. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

Or she could even borrow Alyssa’s clothes while she visits. The Bates girls are all used to sharing clothes so maybe it wouldn’t be that weird. I bet the Bates girls have tried on their married sisters’ pants before they get married and move out. 

• Upvote 4

Having a dress code in the home just feels so restrictive to me. Poor girls.

I wonder if this is a question in the getting to know you stage... "Will you let your future wife wear pants?" And then depending on the answer "Mom and Dad, the Lord has laid it on my heart not to pursue this relationship."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

I think this would depend on what conversations had been had with Kelly and Gil.  Various members of my family have different rules and standards about a variety of things, but the general rule is that you abide by the standards of the house you're in.  Kelly and Gil may have asked their married children to maintain their dress rules during visits, or they may have decided/agreed (reluctantly?) that during visits (without parents) their children are subject to the rules of the house they're in.

• Upvote 3

It kind of reminds me of some of those Amish shows. I know some of them are totally made up, but I think they said that when you are home during rumspringa, you wear Amish clothing. I wear clothing to my parents home that I normally wear everyday. I can’t imagine feeling like I have to change my clothing for my family. I don’t want my children to ever feel like that. If they are most comfortable in the ugliest clothing I’ve ever seen, then go ahead and wear it in my home. I want my children to feel comfortable in their family home. Even after they move out. And their clothing choices aren’t hurting anyone.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wear clothing to my parents home that I normally wear everyday. I can’t imagine feeling like I have to change my clothing for my family.

I'm struggling with this a bit at the moment. In the last year and a half or so I've pretty much stopped wearing a bra. This has been pretty easy because I work from home and I moved to Europe (where no-bra is much more culturally acceptable than in the US). I find bras uncomfortable and I don't need them for support. I also dislike the idea that the natural shape of my body is indecent, and so I should modify it to be respectable. 

That said, over Christmas I'm going on a warm-weather family vacation with my parents and aunt and uncle. I'm dreading having to wear a bra every day for two weeks (when I'm supposed to be relaxing!), but I feel like going braless around adult male family members would be awkward. I'm not small-chested, and I do feel like my breasts are more noticeable without a bra, especially in a t-shirt or tank top. I don't know what the answer to this is. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

@lumpentheologie I can imagine that sucks! I don’t wear a bra at home cause while I don’t feel bothered by it when I’m out, it’s just not comfortable to wear 15 or 16 hours a day. So I really get where you’re coming from. 

A few ideas how you might feel more comfortable during your trip: 

You said it’s a vacation somewhere warm, so would wearing a bikini top be an option? Many people wear them even under shirts. They tend to be softer and stretchier than normal bras. Also, I hardly ever wear anything but non-wired bras, they’re far more comfortable! Sport bras and bustiers might also be an option. 

Anyways, I hope you’ll have a wonderful trip! 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I'm struggling with this a bit at the moment. In the last year and a half or so I've pretty much stopped wearing a bra. This has been pretty easy because I work from home and I moved to Europe (where no-bra is much more culturally acceptable than in the US). I find bras uncomfortable and I don't need them for support. I also dislike the idea that the natural shape of my body is indecent, and so I should modify it to be respectable. 

That said, over Christmas I'm going on a warm-weather family vacation with my parents and aunt and uncle. I'm dreading having to wear a bra every day for two weeks (when I'm supposed to be relaxing!), but I feel like going braless around adult male family members would be awkward. I'm not small-chested, and I do feel like my breasts are more noticeable without a bra, especially in a t-shirt or tank top. I don't know what the answer to this is. 

Do you have a big sweatshirt? I’m only a c cup but when I wear big sweatshirts, I don’t always wear a bra out of the house. When I was nursing, I often wore a tank top under everything instead of a bra. Some tank tops do help.

• Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic