IGNORED

Alyssa and John 4: SOTDRT Next Generation

GreyhoundFan

I am really uncomfortable speculating about an eating disorder.
 We do know that at least with Lexi (unsure about the next two pregnancies) that she got severe morning sickness and if I recall correctly lost weight to start with. We know she looks tiny even highly pregnant. No idea if that could have the same effect.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

There is no reason for eating disorders speculation. 

As a thin person myself, I find the speculation insulting. Yes there are naturally thin people. And on the other side, dieting does not equal disorders.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

As a side note, though, I did find myself hesitating before posting and see that others feel things too about talking disordered eating. I’m curious: Why do you think that is when we speculate about everything else under the sun?

Edited by neuroticcat
Oops! Editing out medical speculation b/c it’s against the rules...
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

It’s  probably because I’ve had disordered eating that I’m on the lookout for it. It can affect all body types so not so much because of thinness, especially given that much disordered eating has nothing to do with a small size and everything to do with trauma and OCD. I’m mostly speculating  because of the heart issue, as there’s a strong correlation there for young women, and underlying desire for control.

As a side note, though, I did find myself hesitating before posting and see that others feel things too about talking disordered eating. I’m curious: Why do you think that is when we speculate about everything else under the sun?

Better check the written rules. Speculation of any sort of medical diagnosis is against FJ Rules. The heart condition is known and identified per Alyssa herself, so that is OK. Further discussion on this topic  could land you with a warning.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

50 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Better check the written rules. Speculation of any sort of medical diagnosis is against FJ Rules. The heart condition is known and identified per Alyssa herself, so that is OK. Further discussion on this topic  could land you with a warning.

Gotcha. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I have seen Alyssa in person on Capitol Hill, visiting her father-in-law Congressman Webster. She is TINY. 

That is all.

• Upvote 7

I think the combo of Alyssa being naturally thin, constantly running around after 3 small kids all day, and eating a healthy diet is likely the reason for her trim figure. No need for ED speculation.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

I think Alyssa is naturally slender.I have known other women who were slim and they could eat whatever they wanted,and still remain slim...not gain an ounce.

No such luck for me...lol,and I am not slender.

• Upvote 8

19 hours ago, melon said:

I think Alyssa is naturally slender.I have known other women who were slim and they could eat whatever they wanted,and still remain slim...not gain an ounce.

No such luck for me...lol,and I am not slender.

Alyssa favors Kelly. Kelly was quite thin when she was younger too. Also, during her teen years, Alyssa was not overly slender. I think Alyssa works very hard to maintain her slender shape. Time will tell if she can maintain it.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

On 11/26/2019 at 10:11 AM, neuroticcat said:

In general, speculation about medical conditions is against the rules. There tends to be speculation about pregnancy related conditions due to tidbits some of the women will post about on social media, so that is usually tenuously related to things they actually say themselves. (Though some aren't at all, but rather based on pictures - I'm thinking of some of the things speculated about Joy Duggar during her first pregnancy. I found that pretty distasteful, personally.)

Speculating about eating disorders encompasses not only possible physical conditions but also mental health issues. Especially since there has been NO indication from Alyssa that she has any kind of eating disorder this is a double-whammy of speculation with no real basis.

Yes, Alyssa has a heart condition.

Yes, Alyssa is thin (as are her siblings).

Yes, there is a higher possibility that someone who grew up in a household like hers could have something like OCD.

None of this means she has an eating disorder. And unless she says something on the topic I don't think there's any reason to think she does.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

It might be more accurate to say, that in doing his heart problems, the doctors asked him to follow a proper diet, to avoid aggravating the problems.

Avoid fats, too much salt and eat healthy, simply.

• Upvote 2

My husband never made it much over 150lbs his entire adult life, at almost 6 ft tall.  He was a junk-food junkie, lots of pizza, burritos, home cooked meals and ate enough to make you think he had some problem because with how he ate, he should have been pushing 200lbs. Nope, just naturally slender. Me? I'd watch him eat and gain 20lbs. My kids are much the same way and it makes me crazy. Somehow I didn't get the pig-out and stay slender gene...dammit. 

• Upvote 14

About Alyssa and diet I will say this we do know John is shilling some new diet/exercise program and considers himself a health couch insert eye roll.

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2019 at 1:15 AM, Ivycoveredtower said:

About Alyssa and diet I will say this we do know John is shilling some new diet/exercise program and considers himself a health couch insert eye roll.

Yes and in his latest insta post about it he said “if...I am overweight how can I support my family!” What on earth???? 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 4

6 hours ago, ModestisHottest said:

Yes and in his latest insta post about it he said “if...I am overweight how can I support my family!” What on earth???? 

That’s ridiculous. Lots of people are overweight and do a fine job providing for their families. And being overweight isn’t even the worst thing for your health. Studies show it’s better to be overweight and active than thin and sedentary, for example.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, ModestisHottest said:

I’m overweight and I support my household just fine.  What an ignorant asshat.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 5

Wonder how 40% ( and likely higher ) of adult Americans are supporting themselves?  Also, not to be nit picky, but John better be careful with his words. Based on the the most recent guidelines, he might be considered overweight. 

• Upvote 5

A friend from college was diagnosed with a serious heart condition. It almost killed her. The medicine she takes has made her gain weight. A few months ago she said she was purchasing something at the grocery store that she had to show her ID for. Apparently the cashier said something close to “Wow, you sure have gained weight. What did you do, stop exercising?” That completely unsolicited and cruel comment made her feel horrible. But she’s supporting herself just fine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 6
  • Love 3

On 12/6/2019 at 4:30 PM, SassyPants said:

Based on the the most recent guidelines, he might be considered overweight

What guidelines? If John is overweight, I would be scared of those guidelines. Considering most of the population overweight may be a tricky way of the healthcare companies for uncovering a lot of issues.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

What guidelines? If John is overweight, I would be scared of those guidelines. Considering most of the population overweight may be a tricky way of the healthcare companies for uncovering a lot of issues.

Have you had a physical recently? The whole BMI, height to weight ratio, and now at least they are taking into account your waist circumference...my husband was shocked when his doc told him he need to lose 15 lbs to keep his BMI < 27.My husband is 6 feet tall and to keep his BMI at those suggested levels he needs to keep his weight at about 185. He looks gaunt at 185. Now John is very tall, which helps. Personally I think the guidelines are a bit much as they don’t take into account frame.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Have you had a physical recently?

I'm thin. My parents are overweight (and were obese years ago) and I see how weight can affect health. But calling rough people (like John) overweight is too much in my opinion and can cause that absolutely healthy people feel ashamed for not being slim. 

Another important question is that society in general and doctors in particular only seem to advice fat people, and forget that slim ones may have health issues because eating junk food or not moving their bodies at all, while some overweight people are just naturally big. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Just now, Melissa1977 said:

I'm thin. My parents are overweight (and were obese years ago) and I see how weight can affect health. But calling rough people (like John) overweight is too much in my opinion

We don't actually know that John is overweight by any BMI indicators. Someone was just speculating about his possible hypocrisy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

16 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Have you had a physical recently? The whole BMI, height to weight ratio, and now at least they are taking into account your waist circumference...my husband was shocked when his doc told him he need to lose 15 lbs to keep his BMI < 27.My husband is 6 feet tall and to keep his BMI at those suggested levels he needs to keep his weight at about 185. He looks gaunt at 185. Now John is very tall, which helps. Personally I think the guidelines are a bit much as they don’t take into account frame.

BMI is mostly bullshit. For years my BMI indicated obesity...until I had a body fat test done. That test showed I was not obese and for a woman of my age and weight I was carrying more muscle...

And, no, BMI takes neither frame or muscle mass into account. My husband had a few Navy buddies who were forever fighting getting put on the "fat boy" program due to BMI. So, they fought long enough and hard enough to get dropped into the tank and well, one of the guys had something extreme like 8% body fat even though his BMI was in the "obese" range. Another one was a cop on the outside (he now works for NCIS Norfolk), a 6' 6" brick wall of a guy (liked to flirt too) and they wanted to send him off to "fat boy". I hope whoever it was that said that was out of reach of brick wall's arms. 

Now I'm fat and happily admit it (although I've lost about 30 lbs in the last 3 months and still losing). 

• Upvote 13

12 hours ago, feministxtian said:

BMI is mostly bullshit. For years my BMI indicated obesity...until I had a body fat test done. That test showed I was not obese and for a woman of my age and weight I was carrying more muscle...

And, no, BMI takes neither frame or muscle mass into account. My husband had a few Navy buddies who were forever fighting getting put on the "fat boy" program due to BMI. So, they fought long enough and hard enough to get dropped into the tank and well, one of the guys had something extreme like 8% body fat even though his BMI was in the "obese" range. Another one was a cop on the outside (he now works for NCIS Norfolk), a 6' 6" brick wall of a guy (liked to flirt too) and they wanted to send him off to "fat boy". I hope whoever it was that said that was out of reach of brick wall's arms. 

Now I'm fat and happily admit it (although I've lost about 30 lbs in the last 3 months and still losing). 

I totally agree with all of this. I am also a muscular gal, workout all the damn time, and I’m never going to be wispy thin. A previous MD told me that regular workouts were never going to be enough for a person like me. He told me to start running in the mountains. Get Real. I’m in my 60s. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I hate BMI. I play roller derby so I have a LOT of leg muscle. I’ve been at a heavier weight since gaining said muscle. My doctor told me that I need to lose weight due to my BMI but I’m kinda like I just had a baby 8 months ago and I’m only 10lbs above my prepregnancy weight and I’m just starting to work out. ?

Anyways, here is a picture of me at my pre pregnancy weight which is at a 27.5 BMI. Size s/m in shirts and 8 in jeans. 

Spoiler

0515B17F-B273-4D8B-909F-C0B0B9DE1FFE.jpeg

• Upvote 8

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic