IGNORED

Maxwell 32: Wearing Your Vest in 15 Minute Increments

Coconut Flan

Holy shit y'all, can you believe it, the Maxwells are headed to Colorado!! Who would have guessed this interesting twist?! I'm sitting on the edge of my chair and waiting for to read all about their adventures!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 25
  • Thank You 1

Oh shit, I have been eagerly awaiting the country fair part two. 

So the 2 am death marches begin, apart from feeding the chip Muncks - sorry Joe

Edited by johnhugh
  • Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

Anna and Mary look like they want Sarah to get the camera out of their faces.  Teri looks like she could start sobbing at the drop of a hat.  

I wish the chipmunks and squirrels could were able to communicate their thoughts about the annual Maxhell visit to their home. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

I’d like more info on those jars of salad-looking stuff that Teri is prepping.  Is that trip related? Or just for this week?  What do they do with it?  How far ahead can it be prepared?  

Hey Stevie, have Sarah answer this one; I’m genuinely interested in healthy eating, and I do pay attention to your more appetizing concoctions.  

• Upvote 6

The Maxwells often pre-prepare their meals before travelling. They did it a lot in the Uriah/conference days, and I imagine it’s easy to prep meals in advance if you’re not sure what the kitchen facilities will be like when you’re travelling. Plus it can be a time-saver. I guess that if you’ve been hiking all day after waking up before dawn, it’d be a lot easier just to bung a pre-prepared meal into the oven. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Holy shit y'all, can you believe it, the Maxwells are headed to Colorado!! Who would have guessed this interesting twist?! I'm sitting on the edge of my chair and waiting for to read all about their adventures!

Remember one year it was a big surprise for Teri? Even though they go every year on their what some might call a vacation. Or I'm misremembering...

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, catlady said:

I’d like more info on those jars of salad-looking stuff that Teri is prepping.  Is that trip related? Or just for this week?  What do they do with it?  How far ahead can it be prepared?  

Hey Stevie, have Sarah answer this one; I’m genuinely interested in healthy eating, and I do pay attention to your more appetizing concoctions.  

They look like the mason jar salads that I've seen on Pintrest. If they are the same, the generally will last for about a week. I was going to try them a few years ago for work lunches but it never happened. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

I laughed when Sarah said they are looking forward to the family time. What else is it that they do? 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 8

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I laughed when Sarah said they are looking forward to the family time. What else is it that they do? 

Maybe everybody looks different at higher altitudes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 22
  • I Agree 1

I just got back from a non Coward Steve-approved what some might call a vacation.  I drank, was defrauded several times, visited lots of interesting things, and ate tasty food not made in a smoker or with a tortilla.  And Griselda Teri's birthday and anniversary post is up.  Gag.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

It's August so of course the Maxwells are in Colorado. And, there is a robotic birthday / anniversary post about Teri pouring herself into homeschooling for 30 years with no "reward" and blah, blah, blah.

I am going with cousins & my sister on a 5 day camping trip next week. Just us five women, no menz allowed. Via text messages over the course of a couple of hours this morning, we planned all food and snacks & who is brining what. No schedule, no list saved in Excel on the computer telling us exactly what we need for five individual, grown women. We also have some pretty creative fruit shots planned as well as margaritas and wine and beer and...well, I know there's more, there always is. We will have good food, days at the beach/pool, a day "in town", and a bike ride around the lake-about 8 miles, I beleive. Not as extrenuating as hiking a 14er at dawn, but I'm betting we will have a much, much better time. We'll be up until the wee ours of the morning, hanging around the campfire, and get up when our bladders tell us it's time and not before. 3 of the 5 are married, 1 has a boyfriend & single me. They all have kids, but they're all grown and living their own lives, including the 18 year old who just graduated from high school. I have no idea what the husbands and boyfried will be doing while we are away. I hope they can survive and don't get tempted by immodestly dressed women without their own women next to them to rein them in. I hope none of the adult kids needs hand holding for bible time or their mother to pour themselves into them. 

I hope we can light the fire without the menz there to do it for us. I hope we can find our way around the bike path. I hope we can all get there on our own schdules and just enjoy the very special family time with each other, no matter who gets there when or leaves when. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 3
  • Love 11

19 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Maybe everybody looks different at higher altitudes. 

Or something wafts over on the breeze from another campsite.  :obscene-smokingweed:  Stoner Steve & Tokin Teri sends the kids on a death march hike while they stay behind and get a contact high.

Edited by FloraKitty35
added more to post
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 14
  • Love 1

Poor Sarah posts s photo of her grey parents in the header and then posts it again in the body of the post. 

Ah, when literature imitates life!

3 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Or something wafts over on the breeze from another campsite.  :obscene-smokingweed:  Stoner Steve & Tokin Teri sends the kids on a death march hike while they stay behind and get a contact high.

The thought of Stevi & Teri giggling and going through their entire stick of jar salads has me, well, giggling. Thank you, @FloraKitty35! Much-needed comic relief here! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Terri certainly did get a reward for homeschooling. She got her robotic, indoctrinated,  ill-educated children, all of who have limited opportunities. She got exactly what she wanted. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 6

11 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Poor Sarah posts s photo of her grey parents in the header and then posts it again in the body of the post. 

Ah, when literature imitates life!

The thought of Stevi & Teri giggling and going through their entire stick of jar salads has me, well, giggling. Thank you, @FloraKitty35! Much-needed comic relief here! 

Is it just me or does Poor Sarah's post seem especially juvenile?  Her writing seems completely robotic.  It's been years since Teri did any homeschooling yet she  continually receives praise for it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

30 minutes ago, louannems said:

Is it just me or does Poor Sarah's post seem especially juvenile?  Her writing seems completely robotic.  It's been years since Teri did any homeschooling yet she  continually receives praise for it.

When you are treated like a juvenile and are indoctrinated to believe you are a juvenile until you are married you will certainly write and think like one.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

The thing that gets me is Teri, well more like Steve, chose to home school. They weren’t forced. So their “reward” should be well educated adults that can thrive on their own. Sadly they don’t have those. I don’t think they wanted their kids to be that way. 

I don’t understand why all of their kids have to live so close if Teri and Steve can’t spend more than 15 minutes at a time with them. 

I know some adults that were home schooled that are well adjusted. They know how to socialize with adults and kids. I also know some that aren’t. Some of it has to do with personality and some of it has to do with isolation. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

The thing that gets me is Teri, well more like Steve, chose to home school. They weren’t forced. So their “reward” should be well educated adults that can thrive on their own. Sadly they don’t have those. I don’t think they wanted their kids to be that way. 

I don’t understand why all of their kids have to live so close if Teri and Steve can’t spend more than 15 minutes at a time with them. 

I know some adults that were home schooled that are well adjusted. They know how to socialize with adults and kids. I also know some that aren’t. Some of it has to do with personality and some of it has to do with isolation. 

Well, I’ll have to disagree with you on the bolded—if you’re referring to thriving financially and not emotionally—as much as I hate to defend the Maxwells in any way, shape or form. I check in with Joseph’s business, Swift Otter, from time to time and based on what I see, it’s a very successful enterprise. The website and way the company presents itself has come a long way from the early days. In the beginning, Jesus took the wheel and their faith was front and center. It definitely looked like a fairly amateur endeavor, much like so many of the other Maxwell businesses that now exist only in the internet graveyard. Their current website features the Kansas City skyline on the home page and nary a mention of Jesus or their faith (although there are a few mentions on the staff page that they’re “family oriented.”) They have a fairly diverse sampling of clients (including Pleasant Hill Grain, which is well-known in baking circles—I’ve bought from them), they sell Magento study guides, Joseph is a conference speaker, which brings him into contact and forces him to interact with all sorts of people, and they have employees who are not family members. They’re also looking for new hires, paying in the 60–100k range, which isn’t exactly small change, especially in the KC area. So assuming that Joseph takes in more than that as head of the company, I’d say he’s doing very well for himself, especially considering he has no debts to speak of. (Interestingly, Steve is no longer listed as a Swift Otter employee—chief synergist or whatever the hell he was.)  If nothing else, Steve and Teri instilled a very strong work ethic in their spawn, so while they may not have a stellar education by non-fundie standards, they’re hardly hampered by it. They’ve had their failures (1TonRamp for example) but Nathan built a successful business, as has Joseph and to give him the benefit of the doubt, so has John (I’m thinking he may have gotten his real estate license as a fall back while he was building his irrigation business), Jesse is employed by Swift Otter, as is Christopher, who strikes me as a pity hire, since I think he’s the last dynamic of the brothers.  I can’t speak for the girls, although I do think they have employable skills (not sure about Mary), but the boys seem to be doing just fine. YMMV, of course.

• Upvote 12

Interesting that SwiftOtter meets clients at coffee shops, so perhaps they do not have the overhead of an actual business location, or at least one that is appropriate for meeting clients.  Is this business literally home based? 

Is Joseph the oldest?  Did he have exposure to socialization in ebil public school for at least a few years? 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Howl said:

Interesting that SwiftOtter meets clients at coffee shops, so perhaps they do not have the overhead of an actual business location, or at least one that is appropriate for meeting clients.  Is this business literally home based? 

Is Joseph the oldest?  Did he have exposure to socialization in ebil public school for at least a few years? 

No, Joe is the first reversal baby. So he’s #4. He had zero exposure to public school or organized sports unlike Nathan and Chris. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No, Joe is the first reversal baby. So he’s #4. He had zero exposure to public school or organized sports unlike Nathan and Chris. 

And from what I remember reading when two people went to a Maxwell dog and pony show and confronted Steve and the family, Joseph had the most moxie of anybody, smirking at the unwanted visitors and being visibly self-assured.

His success in business possibly has less to do with the way he was educated than just with his natural personality. From accounts, he sounds like the kind of guy who is not afraid to get right in your face, for good or for ill.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Howl said:

It is. Here's what the website says.

We are remote only. We are family-people. Working from home can save hours of commute time each day. This translates into happier people, as we can spend more time with our family. That said, we have a dedicated, distraction-free work area, so that we can take work seriously and utilize large segments of time (roughly 9:00am - 5:00pm).

FWIW, my daughter, who's a senior front-end engineer in NYC, frequently works from home and has never met some of the other members of her team—they "meet" daily via Slack. She's currently interviewing with other companies and her two of her initial interviews have taken place in local coffee shops. It's a pretty casual atmosphere, even for large companies (she currently works for a top 50 Fortune 500 communications company—same casual approach.) 

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

When trying to line up secondary insurance for hubs a few years ago, I received a kismet type cold call from an insurance agent. We ended up trying to meet at a Starbucks, but it was packed at 11 am, so we wandered over to a Chipotle for our meeting. 

Most coffee shops are packed with solo people on laptops but I've noticed that at a coffee shop we go to in a more "hipster" part of town,  there are still tons of people solo on laptops, but also people obviously meeting for business, either with clients or people on some type of work team -- I'd guess in the twenty something demographic.  

That said, we have a dedicated, distraction-free work area, so that we can take work seriously and utilize large segments of time (roughly 9:00am - 5:00pm).

This is funny to me.  Do they not realize that the typical workday at most offices is 8 am to 5 pm? 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic