IGNORED

Lori 67: Stop reading - it'll give you ideas

On today’s doodle, we have women vying for the title of “greatest submissive and helpmeet”. I’m sorry. My husband is my husband, not another child. These men sound so childish and helpless. And some of the comments from men are just as bad. 

I also don’t get how these women are so happy to clean up or pick up after men. If their wives went to their places of employment and made a mess or created some problem, it would be seen as a major travesty and a sign of disrespect. Why isn’t it the same at home? If having a SAHW or SAHM is of such high value, why doesn’t the husband demonstrate that in the way he treats his home? Could it be that a) many of these men are overgrown babies? Could it also be that having a SAHW/SAHM is some sort of status/moral symbol? (Cue a man with his chest puffed out, pounding on it, whilst shouting “I am the great provider and protector!”

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

It must be summer because we're in doodle rerun season.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

I have no problem serving people who can’t serve themselves or if I cook a meal that’s easier for me to serve everyone. When I have company over and we are eating something that won’t be brought to the table I serve everyone. I also, as a good host, get people second helpings. My bf has made it very clear he can serve himself. 

I see no problem with women who choose to serve their husbands or husbands that let their wives serve if that’s what they want. No one is entitled to it, unless you can’t serve yourself. My bf serves me. My mom also serves me when I eat at her house. 

Our big family meals were always serve kids and grandma first then everyone else gets a plate. Men don’t get to eat first because they are men. 

Lori posted the other day about young people not valuing marriage because they didn’t have good examples. That’s bs. My parents would still be married today if my dad hadn’t passed away. He worshiped the ground she walked on. I saw my parents fight, kiss, take care of each other, and love their children. Their marriage was far from perfect. My dad came from a broken home and had been married before. My moms parents always fought but they loved each other. Divorce doesn’t equal kids not getting married. Same for parents who stay married doesn’t equal kids staying married. Nothing is perfect black and white. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Libby96 said:

I just read the article by that Karissa chick that Lori posted, and I want to call BS.  Does she have proof that her health problems were caused by birth control?  I know MS can go into remission, but I’ve never heard of it spontaneously disappearing.  Did the money for all their new stuff when her husband lost his job come from outright grifting, or did God miraculously change the numbers in the bank account?  Oh, and she experienced no pain using no drugs with the birth of her sixth child.  Sure, Karissa.  I think she has the same relationship with the truth as Our Friend Flicka.

I think there's a thread about her here on FJ. She's a professional photographer IIRC

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, wallysmommy said:

It must be summer because we're in doodle rerun season.

Well, she's got to be so busy preparing for her 10-week vacation in Door County. :my_dodgy:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 11

On 6/4/2019 at 10:30 PM, Maggie Mae said:

Not sure if there is an internet diagnoses for that affliction. 

I think it'd be the same in RL or online ... sociopath

• Upvote 11

I probably need to start a whole new thread for Suzanne Venker since she enrages me so much, but she posted this video on her FB today.  Somehow she and her readers think this is some kind of "drop the mic moment," but we must not have listened to the same interview.  My only complaint is that the interviewer let himself get bowled over by this jerkface.

Please raise your hand if you wear makeup for YOURSELF and not to signal your availability for sexual advances.  ?‍♀️

• Upvote 11

On 6/5/2019 at 4:58 PM, SongRed7 said:

One day she was super angry because her husband didn't buy the item she wanted from the grocer

Maybe I'm just sheltered but I have never heard anyone say "from the grocer."   Store, grocery store, food store, food shopping, butcher, fishmonger and probably a few things I'm forgetting, but never grocer.  

That makes it sound like they are heading out to the general store to buy stuff from Nellie's dad on LHOTP (his name totally escapes me atm).

That just stood out to me at 5am 

The way she ends the story sort of makes it sound like the woman killed herself on purpose the way it's worded.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, hollyfeller said:

Please raise your hand if you wear makeup for YOURSELF

I hate makeup. There, I said it. I'm very glad I finally put makeup behind me and stopped trying to make my face look better by applying stuff that's sticky, yucky, messy, a royal PITA to carry in my purse and expensive to boot.  Now, I know I just said something that will be unpopular, but that's just my opinion. 

To answer your question, I never wore it for me.  It made me feel like a traffic light (too bright) and it seemed to highlight all my imperfections. Washed-out as I tend to look, I'd much rather not wear makeup!  Of course, if I were introduced to a line of makeup that concealed the dark circles under my eyes without making my face feel like it can't breathe; that stained my lips to make them look a shade darker and somewhat plumper without cracking and drying my lips, then I might yet be converted. 

Does wearing makeup signify sexual availability? I never used it for that reason but I've always wondered why it is that women are required to wear it and not men.  I was told that I should wear makeup for work when I waited tables for a year and when I worked at the checkout of a supermarket one summer.  I needed the jobs so I didn't ask the question I was burning to ask: "are you telling me that my face doesn't look good enough?"

As for the rest of the interview, I think JP wants to have his cake and eat it too.  You can't be "sexually conservative" and encourage flirting! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

If I ever had the remotest hope that Lori would see and understand how hypocritical she is and maybe start, ever so slightly, to change her ways, this morning's blog post has dashed that hope forever:

When we quarrel about how to raise children and are so sure that we are right, this can lead to self-righteousness and feeling superior over others. We are called to love the Lord and love others in humility, not thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought (Romans 12:3). If we are causing division over the non-essentials and not loving others, then we are in sin.

:laughing-rolling: Nothing else I read today on the Internet will give me a bigger laugh than this. :laughing-rolling:

Oh, and she says that she did not vaccinate any of her children, and that they went to public school for the elementary years. Was the anti-vaxx movement even a thing 35 years ago when she was having babies? It was barely a thing when I was having mine in the late 80s/early90s, I certainly don't recall hearing anything about it before that. And would a school system back then allow children to enter without vaccinations (I know there was the religious exemption, but would Lori have used that back then?)? I don't know...I smell shenanigans on this one.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Loveday said:

If I ever had the remotest hope that Lori would see and understand how hypocritical she is and maybe start, ever so slightly, to change her ways, this morning's blog post has dashed that hope forever:

:laughing-rolling: Nothing else I read today on the Internet will give me a bigger laugh than this. :laughing-rolling:

Yep. When did Lori get on the unity train? How un-self aware can a person be?  Hold Lori's beer, she's hitting a new record. 

• Upvote 8

On 6/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, smittykins said:

Oh, but Obummer is a Kenyan-born Muslim, and Michelle is really a MAN!

(I wish I could say that I made that up.)

I have heard all of those rumors.  I didn't vote for Obama because politically, we think differently.  But I never had a problem with his eligibility for the presidency, and I'd be gobsmacked if I ever learned that Obama had cheated on his wife.  He grew up without a father and I think he's tried to be a decent husband and father because he knows what it's like to be without a father.

• Upvote 8

I’m confused.*

If public school, such as  the one Lori sent her kids to, is not a salvation issue, why does Lori write so many posts on the evils of said public school?

*I wonder how many times I start a thought with that phrase when Lori’s blog comes to mind. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I’m confused.*

If public school, such as  the one Lori sent her kids to, is not a salvation issue, why does Lori write so many posts on the evils of said public school?

*I wonder how many times I start a thought with that phrase when Lori’s blog comes to mind. 

Because Lori read a few verses in the Bible and God spoke to her and told her if Other Mothers sent their kids to school, they didn't love Him and His Perfect Ways and it was so totally not Submissive.   Lori has God's ear, you see.  He told her that, too.   

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Curious said:

Maybe I'm just sheltered but I have never heard anyone say "from the grocer."   Store, grocery store, food store, food shopping, butcher, fishmonger and probably a few things I'm forgetting, but never grocer.  

I think it might be an older term; I’ve seen 50s/60s commercials on YouTube that say “Available at your grocer(‘s).”

RIP Grandma Mary.

ETA:  I don’t think there was much of an anti-vax movement until the “VACCINES CAUSE TEH AUTIZM!!1!1” study came out.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

No, Lori, we despise the way you behave and the venom with which you castigate others.  We despise the way you refuse to have a civil, intelligent debate about issues upon which we disagree, yet you entertain, and even agree with racists, homophobic, misogynistic, hateful posters.  We despise the way you claim to have heard from God, and are the voice of God, when your ears are filled with the noise of self-righteousness and pride.  We despise the way you talk about your parents--you totally ignore the fifth commandment.  Notice I didn't say we despise you.  We despise your ways.  And if you don't like what I said, take it up with God because he despises these things also according to his word, consisting of more than 3 select proof-texts.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 8

3 hours ago, onemama said:

I hate makeup. There, I said it. I'm very glad I finally put makeup behind me and stopped trying to make my face look better by applying stuff that's sticky, yucky, messy, a royal PITA to carry in my purse and expensive to boot.  Now, I know I just said something that will be unpopular, but that's just my opinion. 

I can't stand the way that shit feels on my face. Ok, yeah, I have some sensory issues, but no, I'm not wearing that shit just to make someone else happy. My face is my face, splotchy red spots, zits and all. I ain't that great looking and let's face it, you can't put lipstick on a pig and turn it into Miss America. 

That said, the hubs thought I was gorgeous, no make up, wearing a work shirt, jeans and steel toed workboots and all. 20+ years and 80lbs later he STILL thinks I'm gorgeous. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 6

I think the last time I wore makeup was at my wedding(22 years ago next month).

• Upvote 8

Count me among the mostly make-up free, too.  I have too many skin sensitivities/allergies to use it often; but I also have a nice hypoallergenic set that I sometimes break out on rare special occasions - when I want to wear it.  I don't associate it with sexual availability in any way.  I wear and don't wear it for me; depending on my mood, and even some days, the weather (specifically - how active my other allergies are). 

It definitely makes packing light easier when I need to travel.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, onemama said:

As for the rest of the interview, I think JP wants to have his cake and eat it too.  You can't be "sexually conservative" and encourage flirting! 

Is this your opinion, or something they said? I don't get it. I'm personally sexually conservative but flirting seems harmless and lighthearted to me. Maybe we mean different things with the word flirting. Do you mean flirting is a promise of sex? Because that's not at all what it means to me.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:55 AM, livinglongerthanyou said:

I started watching the "Call the Midwife" series on Netflix and watched Season 2: Episode 1 (The Christmas Special) today. I am a history nut and have studied the workhouse era of England. Every time Lori yammers on about those good old Victorian days I shake my head because she assumes she would have had the same privilege then, that she has experienced her whole life. She doesn't understand that she could just as likely have been one of those souls who were poor and indigent. 

This particular episode was very moving and I found myself a bit weepy as I watched the characters lovingly care for Mrs Jenkins - a woman who lived in unimaginable poverty. The tenderness that was given in bathing her was beautiful. Mrs. Jenkins represented the poor and the vulnerable. I couldn't help but think about how Lori would never, ever, ever help to bathe a woman in such pitiful condition, never mind give her dignity while doing so.

Lori's version of Christianity is wretched and void of love and compassion. 

After I discovered this show, I read the memoirs of Jennifer Worth. The story of the real Mrs. Jenkins is told in the first book.  She started working in a factory at age 13, married at age 18 and had 6 children with her husband. He died of most likely tuberculosis and left her a widow before her 30th birthday. Her oldest daughter, Rosie, was 10, left the school to care for her children while the mother was away to work 12 hours a day at clothing factory. And then, when she was home, she and her daughter would take on extra work into the night. But then she had a terrible workplace accident that left her arm permanenty crippled.  After that she was unable to find permanent work. She moved with her children from her one- room apartment into a windowless, moist basement room. She tried everything to ear some money, she sold everything she had, in the end even her hair and her teeth. The children became ill because of the lack of food and the mold in the basement room. When the youngest child died, she had not enough money bury it. As she put her baby into the river to rest, with an orange box as a coffin. She realised that she was now at the point that she couldn't avoid the workhouse anymore and she and her children turned in. They where separeted and she never saw them again. All her children died there. She "joined" the workhouse in 1916 and left it in 1935.

A lot of the stories of the first 2 or 3 seasons are from the memoirs of Jennifer Worth. But most of these stories are a lot more grittier and without the happy ending from the show. But one thing stands out in the books and in the show and that's how the nuns lived their faith, esp compared to the faith Lori and co promotes.

And I join the "I don't like make up and the feel it left's on my skin" club.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3

I do not wear makeup to signal "sexual availability." 

However, I also do not wear makeup for myself. After all, if I were stuck on an island or in a forest somewhere away from nearly all other people, there's no way in the world that I'd bother with makeup just because it made me "feel put together" or whatever. I can't even see myself most of the time -- so what on earth would I personally get out of applying makeup to my face? 

When I wear makeup, it's only because there will be social or professional consequences for not doing so. In other words, I wear it when I have a formal social event or an important professional event and I have to present a specific kind of appearance. Thankfully, those are few and far between, and most days, I can get away with not wearing it. That frees up a lot of time and effort (and money!) for other things.

• Upvote 5

49 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I can't stand the way that shit feels on my face. Ok, yeah, I have some sensory issues, but no, I'm not wearing that shit just to make someone else happy. My face is my face, splotchy red spots, zits and all. I ain't that great looking and let's face it, you can't put lipstick on a pig and turn it into Miss America. 

That said, the hubs thought I was gorgeous, no make up, wearing a work shirt, jeans and steel toed workboots and all. 20+ years and 80lbs later he STILL thinks I'm gorgeous. 

My thoughts exactly on makeup.  I don't like it on myself, and I refuse to make myself uncomfortable just so I can look good for someone else.  

That being said...those of you who like wearing makeup, go for it!  I can admire nicely done makeup on someone else, and if it happens to not fit my criteria for looking good?  Not my business.  Your face, your rules!  

• I Agree 6

People wear makeup to cover conditions such as rosacea or perhaps scars from some childhood illness or acne.  Makeup has been and is more than sexual availability.  Queen Elizabeth wore her white paste to cover what the pox had done to her complexion.  His argument is very narrow, he's only looking at white collar, office style work.  I have been sexually harrassed verbally and physically while in military uniform, air field jump suits, Cintas work shirts and jeans, no high heels or makeup in sight.  (just using myself as an example-those things have long since been dealt with)  

The idea that men and women have been working together for only 40 years is a joke.  Men and women worked in tandem decades, centuries longer than he chooses to admit.  And as long as we're going to stigmatize one, let's be fair....stop allowing men to wear cologne.  Why do they wear it??  To enhance their natural pheromones signalling that they are sexually viable and available.  Why do men wear patterned clothing or short men wear shoes with a defined heel?   For the same reasons he's peddling that women wear high heels or makeup.  To make themselves look larger, or taller...thus making them appear to be more capable of clubbing dinner and creating as many healthy offspring as possible.  

And just for his general knowledge....makeup was worn as much or more by men throughout the course of history. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Petronella said:

Is this your opinion, or something they said? I don't get it. I'm personally sexually conservative but flirting seems harmless and lighthearted to me. Maybe we mean different things with the word flirting. Do you mean flirting is a promise of sex? Because that's not at all what it means to me.

It is my opinion based on what Jordan Peterson said about flirting - it's dangerous, like playing with fire, creates a sexually charged atmosphere (starts at minute 13:15) , and his declaration that he is sexually conservative and recommends being very careful with sex (minute 15:20).  He's married and he's talking about flirting with another married man, asking him whether he knows how to flirt. 

In my opinion, flirting doesn't belong in the workplace at all.  I want to relate to my coworkers and bosses in a professional manner.  I've experienced flirtatious advances from men that I had no interest in and while it wasn't harmful, it was very unwelcomed and it made me feel uncomfortable around them.   No, it's not a promise of sex, but it sends signals that can be misunderstood and can make a person uncomfortable. 

I don't think I'm a prude because I'm fine with slightly flirtatious banter among friends. I certainly participated in such banter, just NOT in the workplace, and not since I got married over 15 years ago. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic