IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!

Coconut Flan

Ohhhh those old skool crunchy curls on Jana...I’ve never dyed my hair, I like my red hair too much.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I think the blond looks really cute on her.  Hopefully she conditions it well because now she both colors and straightens her hair.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

6 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

You’re mum and mine would make good friends ?

I always had really long thick curly hair, it was blonde when I was a child but has since darkened in adulthood and I just kept it dark. I love my curls however with the slightest bit of humidity the frizz sets in and it just grows and grows until I’m basically a bush with a face. So when it was humid I’d usually straighten it with a ton of product or just french plait it - cue constant comment from my mum about how she prefers my hair in the natural curl, why would I straighten or plait my hair when I have natural curls. 

So a few months ago (this is going to reach a point I swear) I decided I was cutting my hair and getting highlights. I’m a teacher and getting up in the morning, feeding the horses and feeding myself before going to work as well as having to tame my hair was just getting too much. So I got my highlights and cut my hair (think a similar length/style to Josie Bates). Long enough to still wear my natural curls if I want but short enough that I can blow dry and style without it taking literal hours! Well I HAVE NOT heard the end of it from my mother. You’d swear I’d committed murder, my hair grows fast, it’s already boob length and needs cut again but I’ve been putting it off because I am so not ready for the comments about how apparently my frizzy bush curls are so much nicer?

I have long but thin curly hair that frizzes constantly, but unlike your mom, my stepmom has always asked me if I could please just put some product in my hair to tame the frizz. She thinks that frizz is just something that’s easily controllable. This coming from a woman who has kept the same straight, pixie cut for the last twenty years. I recently dyed my ends pink, and she flipped out saying that when she meant she wanted me to do something with my hair, she didn’t mean dying it an “unnatural” color. I’m also a teacher, and she said she hopes I don’t lose my job for dying my hair. She keeps complaining that she’s going to have to keep my new hair from her mother because she’ll have a full conniption. It just amuses me that people have such strong opinions about how a woman’s hair should look. 

• Upvote 9

@JanasTattooParlor,  there are several of us curly girls here and maybe even some curly guys.  Mom curly people who are familiar with the Curly Girl method or read at NaturallyCurly.com, eschew silicones and sulfates.  You may or may not find that co-washing or using cleansing conditioner work for you.  Some curls prefer a gentle low-lathering shampoo.  Conditioner is next, then leave-in and styling products.  Different styling products work for different heads depending on your porosity and whether your hair is protein-loving or not.  The NaturallyCurly website has a directory where you can look up products  and read user reviews.  Avoid terry cloth towels (an old t-shirt or microfiber towel works fine) and regular hair dryers.  If you do use heat, use a diffuser.  I haven't used silicone anti-frizz crap on my hair in years, but I don't have frizz no that I know how to care for my curly hair.  Some curlies do use silicones, but they are water soluble ones that wash out with gentle shampoos or cleansing conditioners.  

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Meggo said:

I've wanted that streak so that work can't see it... I haven't done it yet (I don't want to bleach my hair). My stylist and I have discussed putting in an extension... just so it's there.

I warn you, it’s a gateway drug. I started with a single bright red clip-in streak underneath dark brown hair... then permanently dyed what I referred to as “my evil streak”, with the rest of my head black, and changed the colour of the streak every month or two as it washed out. Within a year I’d started dying my whole head. I’ve discovered that turquoise washes out WAY faster than other colours while purple lasts the longest. Right now my head looks like this:

Spoiler

7C0BD3EA-E5C5-4243-9731-EAC666A0E9A0.thumb.jpeg.c77c4eb2b754b526e45f74668e66c939.jpeg

• Upvote 8
  • Love 9

would that work on a 55 year old chubby chick? I've stopped dying my hair and the gray is around my temples and hairline. Would love to dye it some crazy-ass color...suggestions? (selfie available upon request)

• Upvote 8

I think all the girls in one way or another have more freedom in some ways and less in others. BUT I think they have husbands that they picked based on what they wanted freedom in. For example:

Jinger- more freedom in outfits and fashion but less so in how she acts and her activities. I think Jeremy wants her to act the pastors wife role.

Jessa- more freedom in social media and a little more in charge of the relationship but less financial freedom

Joy- more freedom in activities. Seems like she enjoys working on the houses and she gets to do a lot of hobbies she likes but I think Austin is tighter on fashion and such. 

We aren't in their relationships so there's no way to know for sure but just my observations. 

Its sad their husbands still have so much control but st least it seems they picked husbands that they could have what they seem to have wanted most? 

• Upvote 28

21 hours ago, Meggo said:

I've wanted that streak so that work can't see it... I haven't done it yet (I don't want to bleach my hair). My stylist and I have discussed putting in an extension... just so it's there.

My mom would LOOOVE it if I cut my hair off (it's barely long enough for a pig tail right now) into a more "suitable" style. My mom has ALWAYS had short hair and can't understand why I'd even bother with longer hair (her's goes once around a curling iron... maybe). And always wished I'd pull it off my face because "you have such a pretty face".... ?

Your mother sounds like my mother.

When I was a little girl,I had a pixie,and I hated it,in fact,I still hate short hair...on me.

When I was about 9,my mother said I could grow my hair,but I had to take care of it.

When I met Mr Melon,I had long hair,past my waist.At the time,I was going to school,and lived with my grandmother.She complained about my long hair.I just ignored her.I did,eventually get it cut,but never short.Everytime my mother came to visit,she'd try to get me to go have my hair cut,short.I refused.

But,my aunt and grandmother have/had the belief that long hair is "unprofessional".At one point,when I live with my grandmother,I was going out applying for jobs..but not getting hired...I did not have experience.My grandmother always wanted to know why I wasn't hired.I honestly did not know,it could have been several different reasons.Well,she'd come up with a reason...like one,I wasn't hired because I had long  hair,or because I wore perfume.

Even my cousin posted ,last summer,about how her mother,my aunt,called her out about having long hair,and said it wasn't professional.I asked my son about it,he admitted he doesn't care for extremely long hair,on a woman,himself,but he also said that my grandmother,mother and aunt,all came from a generation when a woman got to a certain age,she cut her hair.

I have colored my hair,to cover the grays,but it required too much upkeep for me.I decided to just embrace the gray.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

How I would like to think the conversation went:

Babe I’m thinking of dying my hair blonde 

Typical male response: It’s your hair have fun

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

43 minutes ago, melon said:

But,my aunt and grandmother have/had the belief that long hair is "unprofessional".

My stepmom, her mother, and my grandma have all told me that once I have kids they hope I decide to cut my hair like a “dignified southern woman does,” but little do they know that I’m going to grow my hair long as long as I please and hope to have long gorgeous silver hair when I get older :dance:

• Upvote 9
  • Love 8

I kind of like the blonde on her, and I do like the strong darker brow with it too, it feels modern. Clearly I’ve been sleeping on the Duggar news because I JUST caught on that they’re moving to LA! Got lost in the shuffle of multiple baby announcements I guess.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

My stepmom, her mother, and my grandma have all told me that once I have kids they hope I decide to cut my hair like a “dignified southern woman does,” but little do they know that I’m going to grow my hair long as long as I please and hope to have long gorgeous silver hair when I get older :dance:

My mother was after me to cut my hair when I was about 35. Long hair was "not appropriate" for a woman over a "certain age". I didn't listen. The bitch got mean...like pulling my hair, yelling at me, threatening to cut it herself. Fuck that noise, I grew it longer, down to my ass. Now, it's pretty short, for me, just above my waist. It will keep growing!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 8

14 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

My mother was after me to cut my hair when I was about 35. Long hair was "not appropriate" for a woman over a "certain age". I didn't listen. The bitch got mean...like pulling my hair, yelling at me, threatening to cut it herself. Fuck that noise, I grew it longer, down to my ass. Now, it's pretty short, for me, just above my waist. It will keep growing!

Oh my; I can consider myself blessed. I remember reading another FJ-er who was forced to have short hair until she was able to move out. I also had no choice about that until one day it sort of hit me; she has ponytails and I can't make one; no fair. I was about 9. I got given a hard time on and off, and finally was left alone to make my own hair decisions. Honestly; what abuse; did you feel you had to wear a tight hat every time you saw her?

I saw another post of yours that really resonates with me; we'll talk more private.

Back to talking of Jinger the blond. Hopefully one day Counting On will actually film them being asked questions of "you did this before, what changed?" stuff.

• Upvote 5

My first thought on Jinger's dyed hair.............

Khal-Vuolo then dumped the pot of molten gold* over the bulbous head of Joshleyrys, so that never again would the brother abuse the mighty Jingerys, Mother of Hairbows.

.*and by molten gold, I mean a crockpot of Jilly-muffy's "walker burrito" monstrosity. It's a crown that is less 'gold' and more......beigey-gray. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

I think there is a real Khaleesi vibe here. Maybe JinJer are Game of Thrones fans now! That would be a divergence!

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

But how are you supposed to become a Karen, the Great Customer Service Know It All, if you don't cut your hair and get The "I Wanna See the Manager" Look?!

• Haha 15

1 hour ago, finnlassie said:

But how are you supposed to become a Karen, the Great Customer Service Know It All, if you don't cut your hair and get The "I Wanna See the Manager" Look?!

Right?! That’s the haircut all the women in my family have and they definitely live up to the “I want to see a manager” attitude! They’re appalled when I don’t send food back for being moderately wrong or if I don’t demand a gift card or discount for having to wait more than 0.2 seconds for a cashier. 

• Haha 11

On 5/24/2019 at 11:04 PM, PennySycamore said:

I've seen a picture of my dad as a toddler wearing a dress.  He would be 91 now and that's how toddler boys were dressed in those days.  He also learned how to knit as a child.  

Somewhere there is a picture of my dad in a dress as well.  He was born in 1921, and that was just how kids were dressed back then.

• Love 6

19 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Back to talking of Jinger the blond. Hopefully one day Counting On will actually film them being asked questions of "you did this before, what changed?" stuff.

YES!  I really think the fact that in talking heads sessions they only get asked the most softball questions possible says a lot about their reticence to delve any deeper.  The producers of the show have to know how great it would be for ratings if they were to ask some even slightly harder questions,  and I think the fact that they aren’t speaks to the Duggar's being uncomfortable about being asked those things and talking about them.  

Although I’m sure there is also a degree to which the producers themselves don’t want to portray them as too backwards or old-fashioned the way that they did when the show was new/the specials were on - their show obviously has a marketing angle they’re wanting to work, and talking too much about their weird beliefs just spotlights how backwards and old fashioned they still are.  But I think having them talk about the progression of their beliefs even when it comes to superficial things like fashion and hairstyles would kind of help portray them in this “modern” way they seem to be going in. Since they aren’t, I assume it’s because they are uncomfortable with showing even that degree of emotional depth or critical thought.... instead it’s a lot of “look we’re making paper garlands for another jinder reveal party!”

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

I’m not really loving the blonde. Looks too much like the FoxSpews, Ivanka Trump, Ann Coulter Clones

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

On 6/7/2019 at 6:08 PM, viii said:

I'm not a fan of it, but I love that she's experimenting with her hair. It's not something you often see with fundies, so good for her! Growing up I was never allowed to dye my hair. Now that I'm free and my own person, I'm currently rocking pink tips in my hair! 

I really want pink ends but I’m scared it will look dumb on me and I have never dyed my hair so that scares me a bit too. It’s a darkish blonde/light brown colour now and my husband kindly pointed out some grey hairs yesterday. He has gotten quite a few grey hairs himself in the last couple of years and on him it just looks super handsome. 

I am trying to cut down on plastic and I bought a shampoo bar that I have washed with a few times now and it has made my hair so much curlier. I like it!

I’m an overweight woman in my late thirties but if Jinger can go blonde I can go pink, right? Is it scary that she’s inspiring me? Even though it’s not at all in a way they’d want me to be inspired. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 5

6 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

I really want pink ends but I’m scared it will look dumb on me and I have never dyed my hair so that scares me a bit too. It’s a darkish blonde/light brown colour now and my husband kindly pointed out some grey hairs yesterday. He has gotten quite a few grey hairs himself in the last couple of years and on him it just looks super handsome. 

I am trying to cut down on plastic and I bought a shampoo bar that I have washed with a few times now and it has made my hair so much curlier. I like it!

I’m an overweight woman in my late thirties but if Jinger can go blonde I can go pink, right? Is it scary that she’s inspiring me? Even though it’s not at all in a way they’d want me to be inspired. 

I’m of the opinion that dyed hair - of any color or style - can look great on anyone. If you want the pink tips then I say go for it! There’s no guarantee that we live more than once or have an after life to enjoy, so I think you should take advantage of the time you have now to be a bit adventurous. You may end up hating it or you may love it, but you won’t know unless you give it a try. :) 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

26 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

If you just want to dye the tips and you dont like it you can always get them cut off shortly afterwards! My favorite thing about dying my hair is that it's not permanent. Even if it's completely fucked up and I have to shave my head, give it a few years and itll be 100% back. Plus with a lot of comers you can dye over them, and most bright colors fade. 

Personally, I dont like how jinger looks with blonde hair, but my opinion is worth nothing. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of blonde hair in general and I think way more people go blonde/lighter when they'd look better with darker hair. I think red and purple look good on almost everyone though. 

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic