IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!

Coconut Flan

Tbh  Im really surprised at all the comments Ive seen regarding how Jinger's hair doesn't match her eyebrows. I had forgotten this was a thing people pay attention to lol

When I was about 10-12, I was sooo self-conscious of my hair/eyebrow color combo. Growing up I naturally had bleach blonde hair and thick dark brown eyebrows, paired with blue eyes and extremely fair skin to add to the contrast. I constantly got comments about how I should dye my hair or bleach my eyebrows to make them match/complement each other better. 

With age my hair has gotten slightly darker but it's just a dirty blonde... So my eyebrows still don't match. I've gotten over it so it's just weird to me that this brought it back to the front of my mind. All good, just trying to get back into participating in the discourse on here lol

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

So... I kind of did the opposite of coloring my hair. I'd colored it for years and had no idea what was underneath, but when I hit 60 I decided to stop being a slave to hair dye.

And guess what! I have the COOLEST pewter gray hair! Seriously. I get compliments from strangers all the time. I'm rocking that gray, baby!

• Upvote 10
  • Love 30

@VelociRapture (and any other low-maintenance types): I generally judge my hair stylists by how well they listen to me when I say I don't really do any hair styling and I don't want to. My hair is dark and curly but I've had a lot of good luck letting them guide the way when I explain that no heat tools, no daily washing, and no (well, minimal) products are going to be important qualities of the resultant style. Like most people with creative jobs, they want their work to look good, and knowing this type of thing helps them achieve that. 

I haven't dyed my hair since high school and played with funky colors a little bit then. I always meant to do it again, but had a job that didn't allow it until I was 22 and then I never quite justified the expense to myself since then. I'm not normally really stingy with beauty investments... I like having fun with clothes, appreciate quality shoes, and have a number of tattoos. I think hair just isn't the highest priority for me. 

I am just starting to go grey though, and I like it for now but sense that I will probably be a fan of having fun with dye within the next decade.

• Upvote 9

12 hours ago, Marionette said:

Tbh  Im really surprised at all the comments Ive seen regarding how Jinger's hair doesn't match her eyebrows. I had forgotten this was a thing people pay attention to lol

When I was about 10-12, I was sooo self-conscious of my hair/eyebrow color combo. Growing up I naturally had bleach blonde hair and thick dark brown eyebrows, paired with blue eyes and extremely fair skin to add to the contrast. I constantly got comments about how I should dye my hair or bleach my eyebrows to make them match/complement each other better. 

With age my hair has gotten slightly darker but it's just a dirty blonde... So my eyebrows still don't match. I've gotten over it so it's just weird to me that this brought it back to the front of my mind. All good, just trying to get back into participating in the discourse on here lol

You're not my sister are you??

Seriously though, not all eyebrows match. My sister and I both had bleach blonde hair, fair skin, and black eyebrows as kids. Our head hair also got a little darker as we got older but mine just became more dirty/golden blonde and my sister's has gotten a little more dirty/reddish. She has blue eyes and I have brown eyes- her brows were are a little thicker than mine and she was teased because of them. She ended up getting them waxed suuuuuper thin as a teen and has only recently in the last couple years felt confident enough to grow them out now that thicker brows are kind of in style.  I actually dyed my hair dark auburn for a few years and even had a close relative ask me if it was my natural hair color since it matched more closely to my eyebrows (like really- did you forget the 20+ years prior I spent as a natural blonde?). 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

So... I kind of did the opposite of coloring my hair. I'd colored it for years and had no idea what was underneath, but when I hit 60 I decided to stop being a slave to hair dye.

And guess what! I have the COOLEST pewter gray hair! Seriously. I get compliments from strangers all the time. I'm rocking that gray, baby!

I'm only 35 and I'm so lazy about going to the salon that I've considered just letting my hair go gray. Right now I figure my total gray is only about 10-20% of my hair, so I don't think it's enough to look good. Just lazy. I started getting a lot of grays when I was just in my mid twenties, just like my mom did, so I've just been coloring to match my natural hair color for years. My natural color is extremely dark brown so the roots stand out when I go too long between salon appointments.

My 9 month old son has a natural white streak in his hair, like the singer Bonnie Raitt and Stacy London from that What Not to Wear Show. His is behind his ear instead of in the front, though. It's pretty cool.

• Upvote 12

13 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

My sister colored her hair for years,  Then she had to shave it all off for this treatment that she was undergoing (an Optune device) for glioblastoma.  I told her once that Elizabeth  Taylor had lost her hair when she had a brain tumor and it grew back in silver.  Elizabeth never looked more beautiful than she did with that silver fuzz.  The last time I saw my sister a couple of months ago, her hair was growing back and she was back to coloring it.  To each her own, but I think silver hair would have looked stunning on her.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

My mom, who had been coloring her hair since her teens, noticed her hair was thinning in her 50s. She decided to stop and went all gray. She had gorgeous gray hair, not yellowy, but a lovely gray that darkened to a steel gray color near her neck. People would ask her if she got her hair professionally colored it looked so good. 

• Upvote 5

I've colored my hair since I was about 14, I'll be 49 at the end of Summer. I'm really gray/white around the face and I HATE IT. My hair is naturally looks like shit filled mud (it's and ugly color). I'm getting my hair done Saturday and having it bleached a few shades lighter to see if that helps in not having to have my hair colored every other week, because it also grows really fast. 

• Upvote 4

All this hair dye talk has convinced me to finally buy the dye and change my hair, and of course I've been meaning to go ginger, gadnabbit...

I dyed my hair NON STOP from 12 to 18 and had had my hair dyed from time to time before that (with mum's and sister's leftovers), forgot what my own colour was, and at 19 was surprised to see that oh, I'm blonde as fuck. I thought I was brunette like dad! During the summer my hair goes a bit towards ginger, as my mum was a massive carrot head (her words) til she had us four kids, lol.

Edited by finnlassie
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Jeremy posted a family pic with Jinger, Felicity, and Jinger's parents. He tagged Little Bread Company in Fayetteville, and what should be their second most recent Instagram post but:

Screenshot_20190613-191854_Instagram.thumb.jpg.6412e1cfa904ae8932405b62a652a1a4.jpg

Good for Little Bread Co, but probably meaningless for JinJer. Pride is more and more widely embraced every year, so they probably can't avoid it 100%. I just thought it was fun to note.

• Upvote 28
  • Haha 5

On 6/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, VelociRapture said:

I think this might be the way I go next time. I don’t like how short hair looks on me and I prefer having it long enough to pull up, especially now that I have kids. I’ll have to be careful not to go too short though because my hair is weird (like me!) - one side flips out and the other flips in at the end when it’s too short. Lol!

Mine too!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mlissmartin said:

Mine too!

Really?! My hair isn’t just super weird then?!?! That’s exciting! Its actually kind of funny when that happens. I could probably find a way to make it cooperate - like maybe straightening the ends or something - but I think I’ve proven in this thread drift that I’m just impressively lazy when it comes to my hair. Gothard would be so displeased with me. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m just impressively lazy when it comes to my hair. Gothard would be so displeased with me. ?

This is me! I would never be able to keep up a hairstyle that demanded any sort of work from me. I cut it sometimes (not with any sort of regularity), wash it a couple of times a week and put a brush to it sometimes. That’s it. That’s all I’m prepared to do. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

15 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

This is me! I would never be able to keep up a hairstyle that demanded any sort of work from me. I cut it sometimes (not with any sort of regularity), wash it a couple of times a week and put a brush to it sometimes. That’s it. That’s all I’m prepared to do. 

I'm like you, except that sometimes when I busy with the vacancy house i manage, i just keep up in a messy bun and forget to wash it ? 

• Upvote 4

Many years ago I read an article that said one of the ways a woman wastes time in her life is by doing her hair. I took the message to heart as I used to wash, blow dry and style my hair, daily. Now, I’m lucky if that entire process happens 3Xs a week. I love dry shampoo. I loathe the entire process, even if I love the outcome. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I have perfectly straight thin hair and recently caved to the "mom cut" and chopped like 10 inches off. It was getting in the way all the time and I just suck at doing hair. I can do a passable pony tail but that's about it. So I got a bob that sits just above my shoulders. I can still pull it back if I want but at least now it has some movement and texture for interest instead of just hanging there looking drab all day. One side will flip out but either a few passes with a hot air brush on wet hair or a flat iron on dry hair takes care of it. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/12/2019 at 2:36 PM, libgirl2 said:

My mom, who had been coloring her hair since her teens, noticed her hair was thinning in her 50s. She decided to stop and went all gray. She had gorgeous gray hair, not yellowy, but a lovely gray that darkened to a steel gray color near her neck. People would ask her if she got her hair professionally colored it looked so good. 

I saw a woman at the ballet once who had super soft, snow white hair in this awesome blown out bob. She looked amazing and it was so striking, like a blonde but more ethereal. I hope when I go gray I get her hair!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Literally rushed over here to see if anyone was discussing jinger’s latest post about grandma Mary featuring emojis. Wasn’t that what people were thinking Amy was throwing shade about? Guess jinger didn’t notice haha

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

42 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

Literally rushed over here to see if anyone was discussing jinger’s latest post about grandma Mary featuring emojis. Wasn’t that what people were thinking Amy was throwing shade about? Guess jinger didn’t notice haha

Jill also used emojis in her post about the funeral. I’m pretty sure whatever drama there was over this has been worked out privately. Amy is re-following most of her cousins (including Jill and Joy) and tagged them all in her latest post to Instagram showing a rainbow the day of Mary’s funeral. 

• Upvote 10

I just find it weird that family would take pictures of a funeral and post them! 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 3

18 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I just find it weird that family would take pictures of a funeral and post them! 

It’s not something my family would do. We also never had a nationally broadcast reality show though. I think that likely plays a significant role in a lot of the things these people do that we find odd. 

• Upvote 9

54 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Self-promotion is key, no matter how strange or questionable...it's one of the few things this family doesn't half-ass.

• Upvote 2

My family took pictures at funerals for my grandparents. Honestly we don't all get together very often and they would have wanted the pictures of all the cousins that never happened otherwise

• Upvote 16

• Coconut Flan locked this topic