IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I really want pink ends but I’m scared it will look dumb on me and I have never dyed my hair so that scares me a bit too. It’s a darkish blonde/light brown colour now and my husband kindly pointed out some grey hairs yesterday. He has gotten quite a few grey hairs himself in the last couple of years and on him it just looks super handsome. 

I am trying to cut down on plastic and I bought a shampoo bar that I have washed with a few times now and it has made my hair so much curlier. I like it!

I’m an overweight woman in my late thirties but if Jinger can go blonde I can go pink, right? Is it scary that she’s inspiring me? Even though it’s not at all in a way they’d want me to be inspired. 

I'm older than you, also overweight and I have purple streaks in the hair at the crown of my head. When I go in for my regular appointment on Friday, I'm getting even more put in. I'm thinking about pink and purple ones later this summer.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

I’m an overweight woman in my late thirties but if Jinger can go blonde I can go pink, right? Is it scary that she’s inspiring me? Even though it’s not at all in a way they’d want me to be inspired. 

I’m an overweight woman in my early thirties. If you want pink hair - go for it! Some people told me I was too old. Pfft. I love my pink hair and I will rock it until I’m ready for something else! In the grand scheme of life, your hair colour is so small and can easily be changed if you hate it. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 3

Not to be repetitive, @Iamtheway, but DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT! 

Seriously, it’s just hair and it’s super fun! (coming from a mermaid braid over here ?)

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

I wholeheartedly endorse anyone’s choice to add fun colours to their hair, regardless of age, weight, hair length or gender. It’s just hair, and it’s YOUR hair so go ahead and do what you like with it :)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I like her hair but I also tend to go much lighter during the summer months here so it's very similar but I get highlights. I also leave my eyebrows dark because I'm to lazy to worry about eyebrow dying. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/7/2019 at 1:26 AM, just_ordinary said:

You do realise I am desperate for pictures?

I just got it done! Sorry not the best lighting but here it is:

Spoiler

9DE336D8-A788-47B2-9C8C-06A64D669D20.thumb.jpeg.9eadc7d1b9af88ccfabe8b2fc14195b2.jpeg

I went with both a turquoise and a dark blue. I loved the color of the turquoise but as others have mentioned it doesn’t last the longest. I like dark blue because when it first starts to fade it just becomes a lighter blue and still looks intentional. 

And I would like to parrot everyone else’s sentiment that have crazy hair colors is a fun form of self expression, and the only thing that should matter in your decision is what you want and what your job allows. 

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 18

I am due( yay for Wednesday)for my monthly hair dye appointment. I wish I could embrace the real color, but it’s not aesthetically pleasing. Old age sucks.

• Upvote 10

I actually really like Jinger's hair color choice. I just wish she would cut it just a little bit shorter, maybe right above her shoulders. I don't feel like I can snark much on hair though because mine is like an ocean blue and really short. 

• Upvote 1

Regarding Jinger’s hair:

I don’t love the color on her. That said...

- it’s not my hair, so my opinion means nothing

- I have no clue how to even style my own hair, so my opinion really means nothing

- her hair looks really great and I’m kind of jealous that it’s so shiny and doesn’t have tons of fly aways all over it like I do

- she looks genuinely thrilled with it

- and I’m glad she felt adventurous enough to try something new

When it comes to my hair I tend to just get it cut the way I have for years - at or below the shoulders with long layers. I’m tempted to try something new, but I never know what to try. I also have zero clue how to style my own hair or make it look nice, so I don’t want to do anything that’ll require tons of maintenance. I’m going to think it over and see if I can come up with any ideas I can try out when I eventually drag myself back to the salon later this year.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

@VelociRapture,  If you have any waves or curls at all, you might try looking through The Curly Girl Handbook or perusing NaturallyCurly  I like the Naturally Curly site although you might want to take what's said there with a grain of salt.  Not every person with curly hair wants a lot of length in their hair and some of us like to wash their hair everyday.  A lot of their stuff is good though.   

There are hairstyle magazines, but what might help the most is going to a really great stylist.  You can take pictures with you, but what helps most is to communicate with the stylist what your wants and needs are, in your case, low maintenance.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@VelociRapture,  If you have any waves or curls at all, you might try looking through The Curly Girl Handbook or perusing NaturallyCurly  I like the Naturally Curly site although you might want to take what's said there with a grain of salt.  Not every person with curly hair wants a lot of length in their hair and some of us like to wash their hair everyday.  A lot of their stuff is good though.   

There are hairstyle magazines, but what might help the most is going to a really great stylist.  You can take pictures with you, but what helps most is to communicate with the stylist what your wants and needs are, in your case, low maintenance.

My hair is actually pretty straight. The only time I’ve had it curly is for weddings and while I like my hair like that it ends up needing a ton of hair spray to hold, so it’s not practical for everyday. I’ve thought about doing bangs because I have a five head (as I affectionately call it), but I tried that years ago and hated how it looked because I had no clue how to style them - they ended up just limp and sticking to my forehead in the heat. Plus you have to get those trimmed more often and I’m lazy. ?

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

- I have no clue how to even style my own hair, so my opinion really means nothing

You sound like me. I just got my hair cut. It was pretty long (and straight) and I got it cut to just above my shoulders and now......now it's curly!! Curly! I've never had curly hair & I've been trying to figure out what the heck to do with it! I've spent so much money since I got it cut trying different hair products for curly hair.....I just don't know what to do with it. I ain't gonna lie, I've shed some tears over this!!! 

• Upvote 8

Ugh, Jinger. Why do you have to like so many of the same things I do and yet have such hateful beliefs?!

I do wish they would be more open about it. It would be honest, and it would make it harder to get sucked in. But of course, if they were posting rants against everything they believe is a 'sin', not many people would be visiting their Instagrams/watching their show. Pretty pictures are much more pleasant.

Edited by AmericanRose
  • Upvote 7

Yeah that’s  the tactic the modern Fundamentalist uses. Matching homdmadev frumpers  and long crunch curly hair will not sell to the public  but a pretty and trendy girl with cute outfits and a nose ring is  seen as relatable.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, viii said:

I’m an overweight woman in my early thirties. If you want pink hair - go for it! Some people told me I was too old. Pfft. I love my pink hair and I will rock it until I’m ready for something else! In the grand scheme of life, your hair colour is so small and can easily be changed if you hate it. 

Girls my aunt is 71 next birthday and still has pink hair and i MEAN pink. Bright glorious pink.  She loves it. Rock it til you drop! Pretty sure im going to get some strange looks from the funeral director when i ask them to touch it up first as she has requested when she passes LOL

• Upvote 4
  • Love 12

11 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

My hair has multiple personality issues. Parts of it are straight, parts frizzy, and parts wavy. I either wear a bun or I have Erin Paine hair because it is the only tutorial I can follow. So at least you don’t have fundie hair....

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11

@VelociRapture I have STRAIGHT hair (as in takes insane amounts of hairspray to hold a curl for even a couple hours) and I've found it looks good short (stereotypical I need to talk to your manager type cut), and the time it takes to run a brush and straightener through it is about equal to brushing it when it's long. Something short that's quick to style may be similar time to a brush and pony tail for longer hair. I'd look at articles/pictures about what style is good for your face shape, those seem to have really helpful advice.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Dead straight hair here too. Won’t hold a curl. I’d make a crappy Duggar daughter.

Straight hair holds a bob beautifully. Recommend  a graduated lob for a sharp easy to keep style. Experiment with lengths and always keep it just long enough to tie up!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

HahaI'm the opposite. I have curly hair and even when I used to straighten it the curl would be coming back by the end of the day. I will definitely check out Naturally Curly as I really have no idea how to style it. 

Edited by Knight of Ni
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Irishy said:

Dead straight hair here too. Won’t hold a curl. I’d make a crappy Duggar daughter.

Straight hair holds a bob beautifully. Recommend  a graduated lob for a sharp easy to keep style. Experiment with lengths and always keep it just long enough to tie up!

Dead straight here too! My hair holds zero curl. I remember having it done for prom (late 90s kid) and they did an updo with the long strands that hang down in the front and they curled it, and the curl fell out by the time I walked to the car. I don't even try anymore. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Irishy said:

I think this might be the way I go next time. I don’t like how short hair looks on me and I prefer having it long enough to pull up, especially now that I have kids. I’ll have to be careful not to go too short though because my hair is weird (like me!) - one side flips out and the other flips in at the end when it’s too short. Lol!

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

Dead straight here too! My hair holds zero curl. I remember having it done for prom (late 90s kid) and they did an updo with the long strands that hang down in the front and they curled it, and the curl fell out by the time I walked to the car. I don't even try anymore. 

Mine too. The only way I can get it to curl is to do old-fashioned rag curls (the kind you roll up with damp hair the night before, which is a very delicate balance of wet-dry and then sleep on). Even then they only last until afternoon.

• Upvote 4

Somewhat random but I pronounce felicity like fah-lis-ity is how the duggars say it just another way to say it. Typically my accent is close to the duggars. They say it almost like fa-lis-city 

ps i actually prefer how they say it. 

Edited by Daisy0322

• Coconut Flan locked this topic