IGNORED

Dillards 73: A Bitter Dill

Jellybean

@HarleyQuinn,  your post brought up something I almost posted earlier: 

My aunt decided to knit mittens for homeless moms at the Free Store in her city because she noticed that when  homeless moms had gloves that they'd give them to their kids so the kids would not have cold hands  She wanted the mothers to have gloves, too.  My aunt was in her 80s when she started doing this.  Good parents would give their kids the gloves and do without themselves, if necessary. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would the Duggars be against Derick pursuing additional education now that he's married into the family?  Is his university a religious school?

I've pretty much given up any hope of these two using their shared brain cell to spark a clue. 

As some of you were talking about up thread. I think Michelle has a somewhat strong relationship with Jana, Jill, Jessa, Jinger & Josie. You can tell that Joy, Johanna, Jenni & Jordyn don't seem to care much about her, Jennie & Jordyn can barely seem to contain their indifference toward her when she's around. I think Joy tries to emulate her older sisters to a point but that bond isn't there and it shows.  JB seems to have at least TRIED to form a bond with the older kids, not sure yet about the younger ones.  You can see the girls who bonded with Michelle, in their Mother's Day greetings and Birthday messages, Jana, Jessa & Jinger have written lovely tributes to Michelle on several occasions Jill has tried but, she's Jill. I've not seen that from Joy her's are more surface level platitudes much like the ones Michelle does for all of her kids.  

8 hours ago, DigDugger said:

Would the Duggars be against Derick pursuing additional education now that he's married into the family?  Is his university a religious school?

Derrick got his undergrad at Univ Of Oklahoma at state college so not bogus, and he is attending University of Arkansas Law school, another state university so also not bogus.  There is very little control JB has over the bum as he's now Jill's owner headship. he may yield financial control over them, but Derelict has shown he's fine with them living in modest settings while his kids seem to go with out things while HE has a nice education and everything he needs. 

I don't know that the Duggars think all Christians shouldn't pursue higher education. Abbie and Jeremy as well do have some higher education. I think it's Jim Bob trying to exert cult-like control over his own children. 

8 hours ago, DigDugger said:

I think they're more accepting of the sons-in-law pursuing higher education, because they're still depending on the show for income, which still gives Boob a measure of control over them.  Their anti-higher education stance is more for their own kids, and there's only so many jobs he can create for the sons he has yet to marry off.  I think they just don't like Derick since he doesn't play ball like the other sons-in-law do.  

He's going to the University of Arkansas, which isn't religious.  

On 2/16/2019 at 7:38 AM, singsingsing said:

I'm not saying Michelle is the best mother in the world, but I can understand why she would baby Josie a bit, maybe keep her closer than the other girls. Michelle's other babies were all seemingly full term, healthy, and robust. Josie was a medically fragile micro premie who continued to have health scares throughout her infancy, and she's also the baby of the family. The fact that Michelle seems to dote on her more may not be ideal, but it honestly doesn't seem abnormal to me.

But didn’t she and JB leave that same fragile person as a toddler, in the care of others,  to gallivant around the country and to MX? I think Michelle’s ability to feel anything for anyone other than herself was severely dulled a long time ago. Couples are not meant to reproduce children in numbers that exceed that couple’s own capacity for healthy, safe caregiving and remain engaged and sane.

20 hours ago, mpheels said:

This is based on my experience growing up in the south... I did not have snow pants or waterproof gloves as a kid. I got a set of waterproof ski clothes as a teenager, but before that had little/no need. For the rare snow storm with enough accumulation to actually play in the snow, my mom put ziploc bags on my feet (over socks/under shoes) and on my hands (over gloves) so I could play and keep my digits dry. My guess is  that Derrick has snow gear from past (TLC funded?) ski trips, and they haven’t invested in snow gear for Isreal yet because he isn’t skiing and it isn’t a worth buying every year for one snow storm per year.

Yeah I have never owned snow pants. The two times a year it snowed, we put on thermals under our pants, two pairs of socks and our rubber boots, layered shirts with our winter coats, scarves, beanies (always called toboggans), and gloves which were not waterproof. We just went in when our hands got too wet and cold, or switched to dry gloves. We generally don't get our snow and coldest weather at the same time - more likely it'll snow at 30f and two days later people will be out in t-shirts playing in it because it's suddenly near 70f outside. It definitely wasn't worth investing in snow gear (if you could even find any to buy without going up to the mountains where there are ski resorts) for the literally 4-6 hours a year they might be needed. So hopefully he had on gloves under the plastic, and I think the plastic wasn't a terrible idea!

Their family is all kind of messed up, but I'm sure there's no real worry about frostbite for the kid. He could go right back inside if he was too cold. I'd be more concerned about Derrick being the one supervising him, tbh. He doesn't seem to relate well to the boys.

So Derick is at it again with the transphobia! Today he's adapting the ol' "hate the sin, not the sinner" adage to "I'm not judging Jazz, I'm judging ~our culture~"

Incidentally it is fuckin' bizarre to me how fundies make a show of concern-trolling 18-year-olds having gender confirmation surgery, saying they're "so young to be making such a life-altering decision that they might regret when they're mature," and then five minutes later they're off to a wedding for an 18-year-old and a baby shower for a 19-year-old.

10 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

So Derick is at it again with the transphobia! Today he's adapting the ol' "hate the sin, not the sinner" adage to "I'm not judging Jazz, I'm judging ~our culture~"

Incidentally it is fuckin' bizarre to me how fundies make a show of concern-trolling 18-year-olds having gender confirmation surgery, saying they're "so young to be making such a life-altering decision that they might regret when they're mature," and then five minutes later they're off to a wedding for an 18-year-old and a baby shower for a 19-year-old.

He is way too obsessed with Jazz. Me thinks he doth protest too much

Derick needs to absorb that whole "when you have one finger pointed at someone you have three pointed at yourself" adage.

I've never owned snow pants. If it snows (about once a year), kids get put in coats, jeans/tights, wellies and gloves or mittens.  The only reason a child is out in the snow is to play in it, so its out until the kid gets cold then in for hot chocolate and to warm up.
Most children don't need thermals where I am.  Izzy is playing outside his house, he can be warm in two minutes.

This isn't walking through snow or needing to be out in it.  Its choosing to be out.

Ok, now that I see the yard, Izzy not wearing snow pants isn't a big deal, they got about an inch of snow. As for the gloves, maybe Izzy gets weird about wet hands?  That isn't an uncommon thing with 3 year olds, they are weird.  My sister used to put those gloves, like doctors use, on under her daughters gloves to keep her hands dry, because she's would flip if her hands got wet, but they were under them not over them. 

3 minutes ago, imokit said:

Most children don't need thermals where I am. 

Same here, really - we only had thermals (long johns, my dad calls them) and those black and orange rubber boots because we grew up on a dairy farm and spent more time outdoors in the winter than the average kid did. We were allowed to run around outside on the farm unsupervised (except by the dog, who was very smart) years before we were allowed to stay alone in the house unsupervised. If we got too cold we'd go in the barn and warm up by the heater for a few minutes before heading back out. 

Some parts of Arkansas dropped to minus four celsius and it's windy.  With even moderate wind and not touching the snow, a little guy like Israel can get frostbite in minutes.  Beyond that, I don't get the sense that Israel has much leeway to say to Mommy and Daddy, "No, I'm not doing this, I'm going inside, it's cold."  

Derick wearing gloves also made them look like way scummier parents.  Even making a snowman with his kid, Derick comes across as an indifferent father.  

Above someone mentioned that Derick claims not to have made much money being on the show.  Anyone have any idea of how much he might have earned?  

Probably not enough to make him wealthy.  But obviously, it was enough for JB and M to want to keep doing the show.  The big payoff was probably in all the freebies.  i.e. the show pays for an expensive vacation so that the trip can be made into an episode; the show pays the costs for an expensive party...

But there must have been some cash, too.  Not a fortune, but some cash.  No one is buying mansions or expensive sports cars.  Maybe they're all putting in their savings accounts, quietly investing in real estate, or using the money to buy diapers.  

Imagine all the liberal beliefs and attitudes Derick is regularly encountering on that state college campus.  If his fellow students recognize him, they're probably not impressed with him at all.

kids and snow gear...

When we lived in SW Indiana, it snowed frequently. The kids had snow gear. However, #2 son wanted to play in the snow but would NOT let me put his snowsuit on (he was maybe 18 months old). "No suit, Uggy pay 'no". Screaming shit fit. Fine, I put his little ass in the snow in just his flannel footie jammies. Kid was turning blue but would NOT come in. Finally, after 10 minutes I brought his little ass inside and he decided that being warm was a good idea...once he got his snowsuit on, I had to drag him (and his siblings) inside after a couple of hours. 

When I was super broke, my winter boots had small holes in the toes that let a bit of water in but otherwise looked fine. So I wore bread bags over my socks when it rained or snowed and it worked like a charm. Seriously, bread bags and plastic gloves under your winter gear keeps you warm like nothing else. 

*This FJ tidbit brought to you by Nausicaa's cheapassness*

I finally took a look at their blog after a couple months (very slow day at work) and it seems that Jill posts every minute detail of their lives.  ALL of the pics, recipes, and videos. IMO she misses being on TV. 

I think that, for the safety of herself and her boys, that she should consider toning down or putting her social media on private.  But she is like her mother, needing attention from an adoring public.  If she had grown up like her mother did, I could see Jill being a cheerleader, participating in student government, doing theater even.  

And she should find an outlet for her interests (study journalism/nursing/anything while Derick is in law school).  Put those boys in daycare, because Izzy looked and sounded bored in some of those videos.  

Derick knows a thing or two about making decisions when you're a young adult that you later come to regret, doesn't he?  Don't worry about Jazz, Derick.  Her decision is to move forward with gender confirming surgery is unlikely to eventually be something that she regrets and feels trapped by, unlike your EXTRA SPECIAL COVENANT MARRIAGE.  

Maybe if you had put the same amount of thought into your decision to get married as Jazz has clearly put into her decision to have surgery, you'd be better off.  Maybe if you had consulted with a team of professionals in your journey, they would have advised to to spend some time married to your new bride before getting started on kids, just in case.  Maybe if you had allowed your journey to take years instead of months, as Jazz has done, you would have seen the signs and been able to change course.  You can learn a few things from Jazz, Derick.  

20 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

When I was super broke, my winter boots had small holes in the toes that let a bit of water in but otherwise looked fine. So I wore bread bags over my socks when it rained or snowed and it worked like a charm. Seriously, bread bags and plastic gloves under your winter gear keeps you warm like nothing else. 

I very clearly remember my mother putting bread bags on our feet before our boots went on...lol

34 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Are you Joni Earnst? :jawdrop:

That is only going to be funny to any one from Iowa or anyone who is a (U.S.) political junkie. 

I wouldn’t read too much into Izzy not having mittens on. When my soon-to-be 3-year old niece visited this christmas it was the first time she had ever seen snow. She refused to wear mittens because she hated the way the fabric touched the skin between her thumbs and the rest of the hand, and nothing could persuade her to wear them. Then of course she could only be outside for about 30 seconds (we had around -10 degrees Celsius around christmas) before she threw the biggets tantrums I’ve seen (because she didn’t like her hands being cold).

36 minutes ago, Icea said:

I wouldn’t read too much into Izzy not having mittens on. When my soon-to-be 3-year old niece visited this christmas it was the first time she had ever seen snow. She refused to wear mittens because she hated the way the fabric touched the skin between her thumbs and the rest of the hand, and nothing could persuade her to wear them. Then of course she could only be outside for about 30 seconds (we had around -10 degrees Celsius around christmas) before she threw the biggets tantrums I’ve seen (because she didn’t like her hands being cold).

Aww. Try socks on her hands next time, maybe? They're basically mittens with no thumbs.

Kids can be ridiculous.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived