IGNORED

Dillards 73: A Bitter Dill

Jellybean

On 2/23/2019 at 3:21 PM, mstee said:

My baby is 9 months and the questions and looks of shock have started over the fact she is still nursing. I have no idea what the heck they think this kid should be eating instead (I asked the last person if I should stop and start buying formula and they got quiet) but it’s annoying. 

Ugh.  Everyone has an opinion and some of them confuse their opinions for fact.

As long as the baby is healthy and gaining weight, why does it matter if its breast or bottle?  And for God's sake,  its not the world's business why mom chose what she did.  Of course there are exceptions (the mom breastfeeding the unwilling first grader comes to mind), but overall, if it's not your kid to raise, just shut your mouth.

ETA:  I am tired and cranky, and I apologize if I offended anyone.  People are extra annoying today.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, JillyO said:

At least I'm not tempted to waste 400 calories on a cup of green beans, thanks to another one of Jill's masterpieces of food photography:

grafik.thumb.png.d3f81e3bf600ca0e10ff835cf2fe89a0.png

No thanks, Jill. I think I'll pass.

It looks like a video game version of green beans with bacon. Cooking mama!

I wanted to breastfeed, I tried, and tried, but I didn't produce milk, I've had two children and had both of them nurse for 2 to 4 weeks and my milk never came in, I never experienced, let down, I was never engorged, never leaked nothing. My sister was the same way. She tried with both of hers we both tried pumping, both of us something nothing.  I'm sill sad I wasn't able to breastfeed my kids, I couldn't deliver vaginally  I felt cheated, and when people would side eye my formula It hurt that much more.  Mommy shaming sucks. Because when you don't know why mom is doing this or that. 

I just have to say, it makes me cringe how Derick just might approve of what Jill wears. Like what does he tell her.

That hashtag is just as cringey.

10 hours ago, Beermeet said:

I'm sorry it's been so tough. What a good mommie you are for pumping!  It's not super fun. I did that for a few months with #2, as she just didn't really want to nurse because my milk supply was low. I tried everything!  Fenugreek tea all day. I smelled like maple syrup! I learned that is what they actually use to make fake maple syrup!  If you wish, you could take her to see if she has a tongue or lip tie. Once released, they latch better.  Just sharing info. :)

I have, unfortunately, already had her ties released but she’s just so stubborn about flow from the bottle. I’m going to try a chiropractor next, I’ve heard really good things about it helping!

im hoping I can be more stubborn than her, so I’m going to use an at- breast supplementer, probably a Lact-aid, and only allow her to feed that way. She’ll still get her food, even if we spend ALL of our time breastfeeding. If that doesn’t work, though, then I can be content, I hope, knowing I did everything I could to give us BOTH the best experience we can have. Either way, she’s fed and I’m so lucky to have been able to feed her the food I chose, which is really the point.

I’m so sorry you couldn’t keep up with her appetite, they must have been so hard. 

All mamas, don’t forget that you matter too. If it doesn’t hurt anyone, try for what you want. It really does matter too. 

10 hours ago, Moogritt said:

I have, unfortunately, already had her ties released but she’s just so stubborn about flow from the bottle. I’m going to try a chiropractor next, I’ve heard really good things about it helping!

im hoping I can be more stubborn than her, so I’m going to use an at- breast supplementer, probably a Lact-aid, and only allow her to feed that way. She’ll still get her food, even if we spend ALL of our time breastfeeding. If that doesn’t work, though, then I can be content, I hope, knowing I did everything I could to give us BOTH the best experience we can have. Either way, she’s fed and I’m so lucky to have been able to feed her the food I chose, which is really the point.

I’m so sorry you couldn’t keep up with her appetite, they must have been so hard. 

All mamas, don’t forget that you matter too. If it doesn’t hurt anyone, try for what you want. It really does matter too. 

Not shaming or judging, but please don't take your baby to a chiropractor based purely off anecdotal evidence from other well meaning parents. There is very little actual scientific evidence to prove the efficacy of chiropractic care and there are actual risk and dangers to going to a chiropractor (especially for a small baby). Please just take time to research it yourself before deciding to go or not.

I plan on nursing my son who just turned 1 at least until summer so he can be protected through the cold and flu season. If we can go until he's 2 that would be preferred. Most babies get their first tooth by 6 or 7 months so its not really a big deal for them to have teeth. If they are latched properly they cannot bite you while actively nursing because their tongue will block their teeth. Usually if they bite you can see it coming because they have stopped nursing or are not interested in nursing from the beginning of the session. Biting is usually a phase that will pass and you can teach them not to bite by telling them no, or putting them down so they realize that biting= no nursing. 

14 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I wanted to breastfeed, I tried, and tried, but I didn't produce milk, I've had two children and had both of them nurse for 2 to 4 weeks and my milk never came in, I never experienced, let down, I was never engorged, never leaked nothing. My sister was the same way. She tried with both of hers we both tried pumping, both of us something nothing.  I'm sill sad I wasn't able to breastfeed my kids, I couldn't deliver vaginally  I felt cheated, and when people would side eye my formula It hurt that much more.  Mommy shaming sucks. Because when you don't know why mom is doing this or that. 

Exact same story. Couldn't birth naturally either time and little to no breast milk either no matter what I did. I could have written your post myself. I wanted to nurse so badly. I wanted a vaginal birth just as much. It was tough and something I had to make peace with. 

I once saw a quote (I can't find it) that made me feel better so I'll paraphrase it. It said that when you see kids having fun on the playground there's no way to tell who was breast fed and who wasn't. I took that to mean what we hear all the time - that fed is best, period. You and I both wanted that experience so much, but our kids won't know the difference one way or another. They just know they're fed when they're hungry and they're loved beyond measure. Hugs. 

That jumpsuit. Ooof. Not a fan! Also all I could think of was how much hair was probably floating around that chocolate mess thing. She just has so much hair.

Also Derek is an idiot, that is all....

21 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think it was 5 lbs of green beans, but still...

So say it was an ordinary small family side dish, with 1 lb of green beans. Rounding down just a little, that would be 6 tbs of butter (3/4 of a stick,) 3/4 cup of brown sugar, and I think about 3 strips of bacon. Yes, they'd be sort of candied. 

But I make something similar once in awhile for a treat, sauteing maybe a quarter cup of diced bacon (or pancetta,) remove, leave in about tbs of the bacon grease and add maybe a tbs of butter for a bit of additional flavor, and then I add a half cup of diced onions (I'm guessing; I don't measure, lol,) for a couple minutes, then add the green beans, one largish spoonful of brown sugar, and a little s and p. Put on lid, turn down heat, cook til done. Add bacon back in if I remember to.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:18 AM, Glasgowghirl said:

Each to their own but when your child is at school and actively wants to have lunch in school with his friends and you insist that the child breastfeeds at lunchtime then that is an issue with the parent. 

This isn't letting him wean naturally... 

So.... with jumpsuits.... I've always wondered, how do you go to the bathroom easily?

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:18 AM, Glasgowghirl said:

Each to their own but when your child is at school and actively wants to have lunch in school with his friends and you insist that the child breastfeeds at lunchtime then that is an issue with the parent. 

That's a parent putting her needs before her child's needs, which is totally the wrong way to approach parenting if you want to do it well.

Jill should wear her hair any way she wants to wear it because it's her hair. That said, she's got a very thick head of hair and it has to be very heavy. I think if she wants to wear it that long, she'd feel a lot better if she'd let a stylist layer and thin it a little for her to give it some body and take some weight off. 

For me, I think it isn't the jumpsuit I don't like, it's her hairstyle and shoes that aren't flattering with it. If she'd worn her hair up and to the side or had a shorter cut around her shoulders I think she'd look really nice in that jumpsuit with some heels and a small clutch. It's the whole ensemble the way she put it together that I think is making it not so cute. 

22 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Derick, just because you don't like or it are offended by, does not mean that it is a hate group. 

Personally, I love Planned Parenthood. I love that they teach about sexual health and sexual awareness. That they are there for women in times of need and crisis, helping them if they cannot go to anyone else. I love the advocacy for all people, but especially for the vulnerable.

If Planned Parenthood is a hate group, what the fuck is IBLP?

I used PP's services when I was in high school and in college.  I was treated very well by the providers I saw.  I was also fortunate that it was before assholes started demonstrating outside of PP clinics.  I donate every year to PP because it is worthy organization.  The only  hate groups associated with PP are those groups that protest the fact of PP's existence.  I really try not to hate, but interfering, hypocritical, women-hating fundies make that extremely difficult.

18 minutes ago, karen77 said:

So.... with jumpsuits.... I've always wondered, how do you go to the bathroom easily?

You don't.  :banana-drums:

3 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

Yep, you've got to pull everything off. The whole thing'll be at your ankles when you pee. 

That's what I figured, and also the reason I will never get one! (the shorts ones are cute for the summer, but nope!)

22 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

This is my feeling most days actually. 

The world would be such a better place it if wen't for all the people.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:13 AM, JillyO said:

At least I'm not tempted to waste 400 calories on a cup of green beans, thanks to another one of Jill's masterpieces of food photography:

Even me, who will pretty much eat anything, would pass on this sweaty grotty mix. Actually I think that about most of her stuff.

5 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Even me, who will pretty much eat anything, would pass on this sweaty grotty mix. Actually I think that about most of her stuff.

Me, too. I grew up on cheap food and my mother was an indifferent cook, and I mostly eat healthy but have a few gross comfort foods--think Spam sliced thin and fried on white bread--maybe once a year when I run out of antidepressants, but her stuff makes me gag.

On 2/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, JillyO said:

She says it is "adapted" from here https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24745/sweet-green-bean-bundles/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=Search&clickId=cardslot 2

Sorry no, other than being on the same planet, Jill's recipe isn't even close.

Although I might give her half a point for using frozen green beans instead of canned.

4 hours ago, lizzybee said:

Yep, you've got to pull everything off. The whole thing'll be at your ankles when you pee. 

IKR and then you have to keep the whole ensemble off the bathroom floor, especially if your in a public washroom! 

2 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

IKR and then you have to keep the whole ensemble off the bathroom floor, especially if your in a public washroom! 

When your drunk off your ass in a bar bathroom

7 hours ago, karen77 said:

That's what I figured, and also the reason I will never get one! (the shorts ones are cute for the summer, but nope!)

I just ordered my first one-piece bathing suit in over 10 years. The one thing that I'm really dreading is going to the bathroom. I have lots of memories of sitting on the toilet completely naked with my bathing suits around my knees (I was a competitive swimmer growing up, so I spent LOTS of time at the pool). I think a lot of jump suits and rompers (the short version) are super cute, just like the one-piece bathing suits that are currently in style, but I am NOT looking forward to sitting naked on a Mexican hotel toilet next month.

I AM looking forward to sipping cocktails on the beach though, so who am I to complain. :cocktail:

I just got trolled by an ad. Serves me right for going to the Dillard page. I thought for a second the receipe title was "Mom goes back to school muffins" 

Jill mentions that they went gluten, sugar, and dairy free for awhile a couple of years ago. Wondering when there was a gap in posting pics of food without those things...

F1CAE1A7-391A-4E91-B9A9-22611E357948.thumb.png.f54e8cedd6efc7f0afa087674fc85cb6.png

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived