IGNORED

Dillards 73: A Bitter Dill

Jellybean

My baby is 9 months and the questions and looks of shock have started over the fact she is still nursing. I have no idea what the heck they think this kid should be eating instead (I asked the last person if I should stop and start buying formula and they got quiet) but it’s annoying. 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

7 years? I really, really try not to judge. I'm honestly trying not to. But...Robin Arryn comes to mind. 

"Make the bad man fly!" 

lysa-arryn-robin-the-slap-melissa-george.jpg.78537749956640e0941b08d7cf3c8e72.jpg

Breastfeeding at 7? No. I know this is a topic of doom, but I just don't think this is the norm in American culture.

2 hours ago, mstee said:

My baby is 9 months and the questions and looks of shock have started over the fact she is still nursing. I have no idea what the heck they think this kid should be eating instead (I asked the last person if I should stop and start buying formula and they got quiet) but it’s annoying. 

Really? Nine months is fine.

@nastyhobbitses,  seven years seems a bit long to me as well, to be honest.  Seven years really is the upper end outlier.  Most kids are weaned by the age 4 or 5 and that's if their mom does nothing to encourage them to wean.  It's probably more common for the mother to take a few steps to encourage the child to grow and leave nursing behind.  Even Flo, one of the original group of chimps at Gombe Stream,  encouraged Flint to wean after baby Flame was born.  When Flame died or disappeared, Flint became more infantile and resumed nursing. He died shortly after Flo when he became depressed.

A friend of mine is a grade 1 teacher. She had a 6 year old student (boy) who would go to the school parking lot at lunch so his mother could nurse him in the back of the van. He used to cry on pizza day because he wanted to stay with the other kids but she insisted. My friend talked to the Mom and said that it's her decision but she should know that her son cries every time he is excluded from a special school-wide lunch because he wants to stay with the other kids. The Mom then reported her to the Principal for being judgmental about breastfeeding. 

@AtlanticTug, ugh!  that situation you described is at least borderline emotionally abusive.  It's not the breastfeeding that makes it so; it's the not letting the child grow up.  It's been said that you can't force a kid to breastfeed, but damnit, you can manipulate them into continuing to nurse.  If we consider breastfeeding a relationship, then both the  breastfeeding parent's and child's needs should be taken into account.  This first grader doesn't need to go out for a lunchtime nursing.  He needs and wants to be with classmates.

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

This first grader doesn't need to go out for a lunchtime nursing.  He needs and wants to be with classmates.

My kids were down to just nursing at naptime and bedtime by the time I weaned them. (At 22 months and 28 months.) I can't imagine making a child leave a fun, age appropriate activity, even at a younger age than 6 years old, to breastfeed. 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:23 AM, VBOY9977 said:

Jill is still nursing Sam. I can’t imagine nursing for that long tbh I think I would start getting really uncomfortable. I don’t have kids though so I don’t know much about bfing 

World Health Organization reccommend 2 years nursing (6 months only nursing, then add solids while still nursing). It's a reccommendation and in no way means you have to stop at 2. I know a bunch of kids who were nursed for 3 years or even a bit more. 

Nursing is a mother decision. She decides if starts and when to stop, while some babies or toddlers stop by themselves.

But let me tell you a secret. First time I listened about a 2 years old nursing, I found it weird and even disgusting, despite I wanted to nurse my future kids. Then I had my eldest and...surprise...I nursed him 2 years and a half. Because when it's your own baby, feelings change.

But hey, there nothing bad in stopping breastfeeding earlier! To each their own!

10 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

A friend of mine is a grade 1 teacher. She had a 6 year old student (boy) who would go to the school parking lot at lunch so his mother could nurse him in the back of the van. He used to cry on pizza day because he wanted to stay with the other kids but she insisted. My friend talked to the Mom and said that it's her decision but she should know that her son cries every time he is excluded from a special school-wide lunch because he wants to stay with the other kids. The Mom then reported her to the Principal for being judgmental about breastfeeding. 

Each to their own but when your child is at school and actively wants to have lunch in school with his friends and you insist that the child breastfeeds at lunchtime then that is an issue with the parent. 

On 2/23/2019 at 5:51 AM, emmeline said:

#hubbyapproved is Jill's most barf-worthy hashtag yet. 

I'm just surprised Sam's willing to feed with a cover over his head - my toddler wouldn't have a bar of it! Although maybe she just put the cover over for the photo. 

Right? I'm nursing my 15 month old, and I used a 5 in 1 cover (Milk Snob) until around a year... now, if I try, she just pops her head out of the top like a little gopher. It's adorable, but it also means I don't feed her in public anymore, haha. But she nurses less frequently than she used to, so it's not an issue.

21 hours ago, mstee said:

I think nursing is fabulous!   I'm going to geek out in a dental way:   if your baby has teeth or when baby gets them and is eating food of any sort, keep a damp washcloth ready when night nursing.  Wipe the teeth of the milk to prevent cavities.  Now that I work in pediatric dentistry it's so sad when they get nursing cavities.  I always thought breastmilk would counteract but once food is introduced,  it changes the microbiome and that's when the 1 yr olds get cavities on their cute little teeth. So, wiping off the milk greatly reduces this. I know, don't want to wake baby or yourself, especially if co-sleeping!  It really helps. Especially right under the top lip, a damp cloth wipe helps!  Happy nursing! Such a beautiful thing. ❤

On 2/23/2019 at 5:44 AM, Moogritt said:

I thought I would feel like that before I had my baby girl, but the instinct to nurse her feels so strong. It’s honestly one of the greater sorrows of my life that she can’t latch well enough to nurse. I’m consoled only somewhat by the fact that I can easily pump enough to keep up with her. 

I'm sorry it's been so tough. What a good mommie you are for pumping!  It's not super fun. I did that for a few months with #2, as she just didn't really want to nurse because my milk supply was low. I tried everything!  Fenugreek tea all day. I smelled like maple syrup! I learned that is what they actually use to make fake maple syrup!  If you wish, you could take her to see if she has a tongue or lip tie. Once released, they latch better.  Just sharing info. :)

Oh my weens... have we discussed Jill's newest hot mess of a recipe?  

Sweet green beans with one cup of butter, two cups of brown sugar, and a pound of bacon.  

Punching it into a calorie calculator, that's about four hundred calories for one cup of green beans.  To contrast, one cup of green beans, steamed, is about 30 calories before you coat it in fat, more fat, and sugar.  She's gotta be trolling us now... :puke-front:

13 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Sweet green beans with one cup of butter, two cups of brown sugar, and a pound of bacon.  

Punching it into a calorie calculator, that's about four hundred calories for one cup of green beans.  To contrast, one cup of green beans, steamed, is about 30 calories before you coat it in fat, more fat, and sugar.  She's gotta be trolling us now... :puke-front:

At least I'm not tempted to waste 400 calories on a cup of green beans, thanks to another one of Jill's masterpieces of food photography:

grafik.thumb.png.d3f81e3bf600ca0e10ff835cf2fe89a0.png

No thanks, Jill. I think I'll pass.

C’mon, it’s healthy.  She uses turkey bacon!

2 minutes ago, JillyO said:

t least I'm not tempted to waste 400 calories on a cup of green beans, thanks to another one of Jill's masterpieces of food photography:

Looks like she used turkey bacon... I don’t mind turkey bacon on its own - it’s salty and chewy, with some crispy bits, just don’t think it’s a replacement for pork bacon, it’s a separate/different food. Turkey bacon does not work well in recipes in lieu of pork bacon- when cooked pork bacon will soak up a sauce and get meaty, turkey bacon just gets flabby.

1 minute ago, mpheels said:

Looks like she used turkey bacon... I don’t mind turkey bacon on its own - it’s salty and chewy, with some crispy bits, just don’t think it’s a replacement for pork bacon, it’s a separate/different food. Turkey bacon does not work well in recipes in lieu of pork bacon- where Cooke does pork bacon I’ll soak up a sauce and get meaty, turkey bacon just gets flabby.

The Duggars don't eat pork... I assume thats why the turkey bacon.

53 minutes ago, JillyO said:

At least I'm not tempted to waste 400 calories on a cup of green beans, thanks to another one of Jill's masterpieces of food photography:

grafik.thumb.png.d3f81e3bf600ca0e10ff835cf2fe89a0.png

No thanks, Jill. I think I'll pass.

If you think Jill's stuff is bad you should check out the Facebook page rate my plate, some of the things posted on it makes Jill look like Delia Smith.

Derick calling Planned Parenthood a hate group is no suprise.

8 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Then I had my eldest and...surprise...I nursed him 2 years and a half. Because when it's your own baby, feelings change.

I mean, not always.  I didn't want to breastfeed before or after I had my own.  I still tried.  But I didn't want to.

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I think it was 5 lbs of green beans, but still...

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Wreck is on Twitter saying Planned Parenthood should be recognized as a hate group.

Derick, just because you don't like or it are offended by, does not mean that it is a hate group. 

Personally, I love Planned Parenthood. I love that they teach about sexual health and sexual awareness. That they are there for women in times of need and crisis, helping them if they cannot go to anyone else. I love the advocacy for all people, but especially for the vulnerable.

If Planned Parenthood is a hate group, what the fuck is IBLP?

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Wreck is on Twitter saying Planned Parenthood should be recognized as a hate group.

I am tempted to ask him if he's a widdle snowflakey-wakey whose fee-fees are hurt and needs his safe space because an organization does something he doesn't like. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived