IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 3: Rationality Is NOT in the Mix

Coconut Flan

8 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

His time of silence has ended!!! 

https://rcsprouljr.com/

He can't ignore that there's a movie called  the silence of the lambs, right?

Is he saying that he has been slaughtered? Poor mite er I mean lamb

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 5/16/2019 at 11:48 AM, Palimpsest said:

After BCA kicked him out DPIAT and family first joined that evangelical megachurch in Austin,

Hyde Park Baptist is actually a very old, staid (and every successful) mainstream Baptist church in the midst of a very nice historic neighborhood in central Austin, with a hipper satellite campus in another part of Austin.  There's a LOT of money there, a WHOLE lot of money. 

For the life of me, I'll never figure out why they settled on joining a church in another city, unless it was a desperate attempt to regain some degree of credibility, and distance Doug from being the disgraced "elder" of the fringe Family Integrated Church. 

IIRC, I don't think they did that until the Lourdes suit was brought, although I can't remember for sure...They probably church shopped until they found one that would take them in without a letter of recommendation from their previous (!) church, Boerne Christian Assembly.  

25 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

His time season of silence has ended!!! 

https://rcsprouljr.com/

Fixed it for ya! 

• Haha 5
  • Thank You 1

With that sin and crime I lost my job, my podcast, my website, my audience. What I gained, however, was a deeper appreciation for the grace of God, of my need for that grace, and my lack of a need to defend my reputation

Lol. For real? So why did he unleash FLOTSH on his children, Spinderella Sproul and even us? Why did they smear the offsprings?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Awww so sweet, he blocked screenshots.

I felt compelled to preserve here the drivel

Spoiler

It’s been said that the rise of every empire in human history was preceded by some great technological leap forward. I’d suggest the same truth applies to ideological empires. For all his brilliance, and his even greater courage, Martin Luther would be long forgotten, and the Reformation with him, were it not for Mr. Guttenberg’s contraption.

The study Bible and the Bible college were instrumental in the spread of dispensationalism, and radio and television birthed an explosion of prosperity preachers. What, though, hath Al Gore wrought? The internet has taken what the historian Nathan Hatch called the democratization of American Christianity and given it steroids. The gatekeepers are all at home licking their wounds while everyone and their brother has a blog, a podcast, a FB page from which they wage ideological war.

A little over two and a half years ago I had all those things. I had then, a few months prior, given up my ordination and ceased to serve as an elder in the church. Then came my very public arrest for drunk driving, with my two youngest sons in the car. With that sin and crime I lost my job, my podcast, my website, my audience. What I gained, however, was a deeper appreciation for the grace of God, of my need for that grace, and my lack of a need to defend my reputation. What’s the use?

After a year or so I dipped my toes back into twitter, began working on a book and after another half year, with the blessing of my local church, began to host a Bible study. Just weeks ago the book I was working on was released and with that came opportunities to promote it on multiple podcasts and broadcasts. As expected, when peeking out of my foxhole I felt my share of bullets flying by. “How dare he?” “He’s trying to set himself up again.” And in a stunning display of a lack of self-awareness, even had some anonymous attack bloggers chasten me for not being accountable.

And now, my website. I’ll be writing blog pieces. I’ll be posting Bible studies.  I’ll be accepting speaking invitations.  God willing, I’ll get my podcast back up and running. What doesn’t this mean? It doesn’t mean I’m unrepentant over my sins. It doesn’t mean I’m unaccountable. It doesn’t even mean I’m trying to “get back in ministry.” I am trying to proclaim the gospel. I am trying to praise His name. I’m trying to tell my story. I am trying to encourage the saints- all things every believer not only can, but should do. Ordination may be in my future. I hope it is. I don’t know, but then, I don’t need to, because I don’t decide.

I’m not a shepherd. I’m just a sheep. My time for silence has ended. If you see yourself as an enemy, let me ask you to love me. If you see me as a friend, and see my “enemies” disparaging me online, love them and follow that ancient wisdom of Elsa and “Let it go.” As I tweeted recently, Nehemiah didn’t get the wall built worrying about Sanballat. And if Jesus sees you as His friend, then let us together heed our Master’s voice, and follow Him.

Posted in Books, Kingdom Notes, RC Sproul JR | Tagged Christian Testimony, church, Forgiveness, kingdom notes, lies, ordination, RCSproulJr | Comments Off

Notice the last words (highlighting mine)

• Thank You 6

That's a whole lot of words to write "I'm a huge asshole."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

Spanx has seen the light! It's all about Jesus now, because Lisa says so (and because it's the only way in hell he'll ever have a "ministry" again). 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

Of everything in that post, I find this turn of phrase the most interesting:  "I had then, a few months prior, given up my ordination and ceased to serve as an elder in the church."

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Of everything in that post, I find this turn of phrase the most interesting:  "I had then, a few months prior, given up my ordination and ceased to serve as an elder in the church."

Came here to point out the same thing.  Notice that while he does own up to the DUI, he doesn't remind us of the circumstances leading to the loss-- not voluntary relinquishment, right?-- of his ordination.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Spanx has seen the light! It's all about Jesus now, because Lisa says so (and because it's the only way in hell he'll ever have a "ministry" again). 

Precious, look over here :greetings-wavegreen: 

You talk about Jesus too much.  Shut up!

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, Howl said:

They probably church shopped until they found one that would take them in without a letter of recommendation from their previous (!) church, Boerne Christian Assembly.

That's some next-level irony, right there.

• Upvote 7

Yeah, right.  All *those* guys who declared that the elder-guided restoration process was absolutely required for men who stepped the littlest bit out of line...but they decided to skip it because...well, um, hmmmmm...basically their narcissistic personalities couldn't handle it. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

Blocked screenshots?  Challenge accepted.

615091365_Screenshot2019-06-02at19_58_39.png.9bc1144e64ad72b4f9aac2f605dc4b6f.png

1175025792_Screenshot2019-06-02at19_59_55.png.46c6dcdca68f5b7cb4f61650f439a41b.png

Ah yes, we should totally follow 'that ancient wisdom of Elsa' and forget all the things he did.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 4

On 5/31/2019 at 8:16 AM, mountaineer said:

Came here to point out the same thing.  Notice that while he does own up to the DUI, he doesn't remind us of the circumstances leading to the loss-- not voluntary relinquishment, right?-- of his ordination. 

According to Spinderella Sproul he demitted his ordination, which unlike his defrocking in 2006 means he gave up his ordination voluntarily.

It's alleged RC Jr's Presbytery wouldn't give their blessing to his remarriage due to Lisa divorcing three prior husbands, none of which were allegedly deemed to be for biblical causes (e.g. adultery, physical abuse, etc.). Rather than submitting to the will of his Presbytery RC Jr demitted his ordination, which the CPC accepted on October 4, 2016. Sproul fled the authority of his Presbytery to marry Lisa Ringel.

Edited by Banyan
  • Upvote 3

If he isn't trying to "get back in ministry" why does the Spankster hope ordination is in his future? 

Or is that an awkward question, Precious?

• Upvote 12

Elsa, shmelsa — why would hecstsrt firecting hus fillowers yonpsy attention to the words of a mere woman, now?

Especially when there’s Gaston to refer to! I know our parody queens will have infinite fun with these lyrics!

• Upvote 2

On 5/31/2019 at 7:00 PM, Howl said:

Yeah, right.  All *those* guys who declared that the elder-guided restoration process was absolutely required for men who stepped the littlest bit out of line...but they decided to skip it because...well, um, hmmmmm...basically their narcissistic personalities couldn't handle it. 

See also Mark Dever - all the things about staying in your church to be restored went out of the window when it was his best buddy CJ

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

If he isn't trying to "get back in ministry" why does the Spankster hope ordination is in his future? 

Or is that an awkward question, Precious?

Per Facebook he works for RC Sproul Jr. Ministries and he spent this morning teaching "How to Read the Bible" at his new church.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

On 5/31/2019 at 4:10 PM, Palimpsest said:

Precious, look over here :greetings-wavegreen: 

You talk about Jesus too much.  Shut up!

Most of alle he and the rest of the white male fundie gang are turning Jesus into a huge (racist, antisemitic, mysogynist, homophobic, etc.) asshole and this makes me really really mad. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

21 hours ago, stylites said:

See also Mark Dever - all the things about staying in your church to be restored went out of the window when it was his best buddy CJ

Yes, that was a classic cut and run.  All this, "I'm just a broken sinner yearning for God, and who better to tell you about it than a con artist preacher who's been caught in the act" just drives me nuts. 

See also:  Mark Driscoll, whose shit self  and ill treatment of others led to the massive implosion of megachurch Mars Hill in Seattle.   Mark skedaddled from that smoking trainwreck  and started a new church in southern Arizona.  Nope,  no elder-led restoration process for Mr. Driscoll!  No sir-ee! 

And Tullian Tchividjian.  From Tullian's website:  After a season of self-destruction leading up to, and following, his resignation from Coral Ridge in June 2015, Tullian is now married to Stacie...

Tullian was heavily criticized at The Wartburg Watch for returning to ministry type activities (guest preaching) much, much too soon after his predatory sexual scandals came to light and I don't think  he did a restoration process, unless it was "self-led." 

I'm also intrigued by the Ted Haggard scandal, where he did submit to a restoration process and went to counseling and subsequently returned to Colorado Springs and started St. James Church. 

If y'all recall, Ted was the pastor of New Life Church (congregation 14,000) when he was outed by his regular gay male prostitute of three years and also had an affair with a young man at his previous church.  He admits he is bisexual, but says that he now remains faithful (!) to his wife.   That said, IMO he has never stopped lying about the extent of  his drug use (he bought meth but didn't use it!) and sex with the prostitute, and preaches against gay marriage although is (supposedly) open to civil unions.  

Anyway, Happy Monday! 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Howl said:

And Tullian Tchividjian.  From Tullian's website:  After a season of self-destruction leading up to, and following, his resignation from Coral Ridge in June 2015, Tullian is now married to Stacie...

Tullian was heavily criticized at The Wartburg Watch for returning to ministry type activities (guest preaching) much, much too soon after his predatory sexual scandals came to light and I don't think  he did a restoration process, unless it was "self-led." 

A season of self-destruction. A self-led restoration process. Where have we seen that before? Oh, right. RC Sproul Jr. It seems so weird that Sproul asked Tullian to write the forward to his book. But now I'm getting it. They're cut from the same cloth. Something about the way their brains work is just so off. In Sproul's case I've wondered how much the alcohol abuse has been behind it. Then I saw this comment on Spinderella Sproul and it all comes together.

At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Carverelle said... I agree with the comments about RC Jr's personality disorders. Very narcissistic. Also a pathological liar. He's had those issues for many years. On top of that RC Jr has permanent brain damage from a lifetime of alcohol abuse. I don't say that to be mean. Just stating a fact. He was born with a high enough IQ that the casual observer may not see the signs of his alcohol-diminished intelligence. But it's there. I personally witnessed his drinking abuses over several years. RC Jr goes way beyond being a casual social drinker having a couple drinks a night with the boys after work. We're talking two to three times that amount. RC Jr also binge drinks. Years of heavy daily drinking and binge drinking causes thiamine / vitamin B1 deficiency resulting in "wet brain." It's irreversible brain damage. Add to that RC Jr's incredibly poor diet. His late wife Denise tried to feed her family a healthy diet. RC demanded the family eat mostly junk food. His staple were things like white bread grilled cheese and the greasiest meals imaginable like sausage sandwiches. It's amazing his kids survived but his wife didn't (Denise got cancer twice and he once). That kind of horrible diet meant he was already seriously vitamin deficient. Add alcohol abuse to the equation and you've got a perfect formula for wet brain. One of the symptoms of wet brain is memory loss. So to fill in the gaps they engage in "confabulation" meaning the person creates fictitious memories to bridge gaps in existing memories. A person with this symptom likely doesn't know they're making up memories. This is where RC Jr's pathological lying comes in. He really does believe the lies and false memories he tells. Anyone who reads RC Jr's latest book Growing Up With RC is reading some true memories but also a lot of fabrication.

I was already really skeptical about Sproul's book. It's probably mostly a work of fiction, especially the parts about how he listened so carefully to his dad's wisdom and advice. 

• Upvote 8

Wow, commenter Caravelle makes a compelling indictment of Spanky's current state.  Lisa is a nutritionist of sorts, so he's likely getting reasonably good meals and maybe vitamin supplements.  

What he's not doing is getting ongoing treatment, and certainly not ongoing counseling/support group because hey, he's RC Junior. He's got Lisa and Jesus, so there ya go. 

The description of confabulation is fascinating and I wasn't familiar with it.  My alcoholic dad was never able to maintain sobriety for more than a few weeks; however,  he routinely promised things that he wanted to do as the ideal good dad, but was never able to follow through because he was drunk.  

I truly wish the Sproul-ings could all get excellent secular counseling because I know they are still suffering the effects of growing up with an alcoholic, losing their mother, now dealing with Lisa and not getting access to their two younger brothers.  I truly don't know what will happen to those boys. 

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, Howl said:

I truly wish the Sproul-ings could all get excellent secular counseling because I know they are still suffering the effects of growing up with an alcoholic, losing their mother, now dealing with Lisa and not getting access to their two younger brothers.  I truly don't know what will happen to those boys. 

THIS! Life must be so hard for the little boys right now and I feel like they are really lost in this whole mess. They have been through a lot and it must be so hard for them to process all the things that happened to them in the last years.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

New post up at Spinderella Sproul, "RC Sproul Jr Accuses God Of Creating Sin, Weaponizes Calvinism".

Amusingly, Spanky is such a small wheel that hardly anybody bothered to respond to his heresy.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

The problem is that only a couple of scholars have directly confronted Almighty Over All and their efforts received limited attention. Few people took notice of RC Sproul Jr's book Almighty Over All when it came out some twenty years ago. Since that time Almighty Over All managed to largely avoid the critical review such a provocative publication otherwise warrants. We hope to change that. That said, this article isn't so much a book review as it is an exposé.

• Thank You 3

35 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

New post up at Spinderella Sproul, "RC Sproul Jr Accuses God Of Creating Sin, Weaponizes Calvinism".

Amusingly, Spanky is such a small wheel that hardly anybody bothered to respond to his heresy.  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I’m  pretty much past my “theology geek” phase but I’m going over there just for fun. Hoping the reviewer has done the turgid reading for us. Have never had patience for overblown pomposity and certainly won’t attempt to develop any now. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked and unlocked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic