IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 3: Rationality Is NOT in the Mix

Coconut Flan

I am blessed to be led by such a man— Willing to speak truth and not make excuses for his life, his past, his sins, or confront those when needed. Nor I.

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9

Oh my goodness that's a pile of Christianeze jargon from Lisa. It's right up there with post-modernist literary criticism for the ratio of syllables to actual content. Just a small excerpt:

We choose to trust God with the outcome of our lives. A God breathed union— not a train wreck marriage caused by rebellion. A marriage where we as a family sought to serve God. Some fell away from that choice immediately and chose to conspire with one another and lie. While relationships seemed genuine, they weren’t. While relationships seemed loving, they were actually propagating death and destruction- All while we fellowshipped together, breaking bread. God was good in exposing. But that exposure caused war instead of peace when confronted.
You would think that Christ followers would want peace, strive for truth, walk in unity and help one another to walk in their new call as a family. Not scream lies on social media or anywhere else. Gossip is provocative.
Jealousy. Bitterness. Hatred. Defamation. It’s an MLM of wickedness multiplying deep and wide. We choose love.

If this is what choosing love sounds like, I've got to wonder how choosing nastiness would read.

My husband and I became the stepparents of each other's adult children a few years back. I can't claim that we have a God breathed union, whatever that means, but we all appreciate each other and get along fine. Perhaps one reason is that we never, ever, expected the kids to do anything as high-flown as "walk in their new call as a family."

• Upvote 22

That bloviating writing voice sounds, hmmm, familiar...

"an MLM of wickedness multiplying deep and wide" would make an amazing thread title! Truly, perfection.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 5

You would think that Christ followers would want peace, strive for truth, walk in unity and help one another to walk in their new call as a family. Not scream lies on social media or anywhere else. Gossip is provocative.
Jealousy. Bitterness. Hatred. Defamation. It’s an MLM of wickedness multiplying deep and wide. We choose love.

It's as though Lisa gets how she wants people to treat her, but then indulges in the very things that she's trying to lay on others, with zero awareness of the irony. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

Lisa made a big, big mistake going after the Spinderella Sproul crowd.

Have to admit, though, that my eyes are still spinning over Anabaptist vs. Reformed bullshit. Makes me wonder if, whenever these people actually meet up with Jesus, He'll drop kick their asses into another realm. What a load of pettifoggery.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

So adult children questioning why the beliefs their father based his life, his work, and their childhood on and being unwilling to write their mother out of existence is “propagating death and destruction”. Ok Lisa.....

I never ever thought I would side with Darby Sproul on anything. We live and learn.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

What gets me is how confident Lisa is, in light of how poor her English skills are. 

I wonder what her husband really thinks of her writing -- and whether he dares admit it to himself, if obviously not to her.  I mean, it's not just that she's no literary genius, she's... pretty far on the left side of this particular bell curve, and he must know it.

But he seems happy enough for her to keep defending him/them in writing, pursuing and starting internet arguments...  Maybe he's decided that having somebody in his corner is worth the white lie of pretending to his wife that she's capable of written reasoning.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

R.C. and I both have adult children with bipolar disorder and depression. As parents it is heartbreaking and difficult to deal with—especially when you become their target. 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:41 AM, LilMissMetaphor said:

I think so, didn't one of the comments say something about her not approving the book's contents?

Do we know who she is referencing?  

Edited by Flyinthesoup
Not sure why there is a quote from LilMissMetaphor on this ?
  • Upvote 3

"While relationships seemed loving, they were actually propagating death and destruction"

Oh my Lord, calm the hell down. What is it with the Reformed crowd and having to cast every event in their boring, everyday lives as some epic Game of Thrones scene?

No one "propagated death and destruction," Lisa. Your new stepkids were having issues with changes in their dad and decisions he was making. It happens all the time in blended families. Perhaps not casting yourself as the heroine in some epic morality play and dealing with them and the issues might have helped the situation?

You are not the "first lady" of anything. You do not have an epic romance and a "God breathed marriage. You are not this important. You are a middle-aged woman living (for now) in a McMansion with a half-assed blog and fourth grade writing skills. Put down the sword, Daenerys.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 22
  • Love 3

R.C. and I both have adult children with bipolar disorder and depression. As parents it is heartbreaking and difficult to deal with—especially when you become their target. 

Yeah, I'm sure weeping for you and RC that your long-standing abuse of your children made them extra vulnerable to what appears to be a genetic predisposition for mental illness and addiction. You poor, poor sweet lambs. It must be SO hard for you.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

I wouldn’t believe any of the kids have bipolar disorder without seeing a doctors diagnosis. I mean, they might, but it’s more likely, in my opinion, that their crazy stepmother (crazy in the colloquial sense, not the clinical), is doing her best to discredit whatever they may say as delusional. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

One of the Jr.JBs has generalized anxiety disorder and clinical depression. Does he occasionally lash out at me? Of course, and I handle it, knowing it’s not really his choice.

And you know who the hero is, in our little family drama?  Junior Junebug, by a mile.  Several miles. He didn’t ask to be born, much less with debilitating disorders.

AFAIK young Campbell Sproul is managing his depression (with his wife’s support) and that makes him (and her) the people who receive my respect and congratulations. NOT the sperm donor and the donor’s second wife. 

(It’s nowhere in the theology I was raised with, but if the late Denise is somehow lending aid to her children in their need, I wouldn’t be surprised. And I’d be glad to know it.)

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Flyinthesoup said:

Do we know who she is referencing?  

Campbell Sproul has blogged about his bipolar diagnosis.

One of Lisa's non-Sproul stepchildren died by suicide and references were made by his siblings to his depression. I don't know about bipolar.

• Thank You 10

Between that insane rant mentioned above and some Tweets of hers, I’ve gathered that she has a very strong belief that children bear some sort of responsibility of “protection” in a husband and wife’s “union”. Sorry Lisa, no where in the Bible or elsewhere mandates that a marriage is a byproduct of the children’s hard work. All religions and cultures I have been aware of rhetorize that it’s the other way around, sweetie. Also, just good ol’ common sense says that parents are supposed to protect and nurture the kids. Kids, adult or minor, are not created to guard and praise you and Spanky’s mess of mutual narcissism.

58 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

One of Lisa's non-Sproul stepchildren died by suicide and references were made by his siblings to his depression. I don't know about bipolar.

I think Lisa may be referring to her oldest daughter as having bipolar. I feel like I saw something on her FB once about it but I may be wrong. I don’t even remember the girl’s name, but I remember what she looks like, and I know she has a child.

Edited by dripcurl
clarification
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I'm sensing that they are "concerned" that the new book coming out in a week or two (that they are hoping will float their boat financially) won't be doing well will flop. 

SRSLY, they need to consult someone who does reputation management and should have done so before Spanky put pen to paper.  A sin and redemption story has potential, but you've got to show that you're, you know, actually redeemed and haven't just returned to your usual know-it-all dick self.  Watching Spanky's body language in his weekly "bible study" makes this easily apparent.

And Lisa's story is not, how should I put this?, even remotely fuzzy or heartwarming.  She's really kinda old testament-y.  You know she'd have the older stepkids put to death if she could.  She's probably hoping for smiting at a minimum. 

I'd be so curious to know if she prays imprecatory prayers.  The Gospel Coalition has a useful (!) guide to imprecatory psalms, mostly against those godless Muslims, but heck, if it works on Muslims, why not regular enemies?

Going on Spinderella Sproul is a bad, bad move, Lisa.  You're no match for them, they've called out Spanky's (and Doug Wilson's) bullshit moves for years,  and they know where ALL the bodies are buried.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Howl said:

It's as though Lisa gets how she wants people to treat her, but then indulges in the very things that she's trying to lay on others, with zero awareness of the irony. 

But this is what makes her so compatible with Spanky. He's exactly the same! It's a prime ingredient of their "God breathed union."  Your description, @Howl is spot on and it reinforces my belief that Lisa suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder.

Edited by Banyan
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Howl said:

I'm sensing that they are "concerned" that the new book coming out in a week or two (that they are hoping will float their boat financially) won't be doing well will flop. 

SRSLY, they need to consult someone who does reputation management and should have done so before Spanky put pen to paper.  A sin and redemption story has potential, but you've got to show that you're, you know, actually redeemed and haven't just returned to your usual know-it-all dick self.  Watching Spanky's body language in his weekly "bible study" makes this easily apparent.

And Lisa's story is not, how should I put this?, even remotely fuzzy or heartwarming.  She's really kinda old testament-y.  You know she'd have the older stepkids put to death if she could.  She's probably hoping for smiting at a minimum. 

I'd be so curious to know if she prays imprecatory prayers.  The Gospel Coalition has a useful (!) guide to imprecatory psalms, mostly against those godless Muslims, but heck, if it works on Muslims, why not regular enemies?

Going on Spinderella Sproul is a bad, bad move, Lisa.  You're no match for them, they've called out Spanky's (and Doug Wilson's) bullshit moves for years,  and they know where ALL the bodies are buried.  

This is a brilliant analysis all the way around. "She's probably hoping for smiting at a minimum" is a great, great line, and I would love to see a "smiting at a minimum" heading some time.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, older than allosaurs said:

Thank you, I did not know about Campbell Sproul's diagnosis.  I'm glad he has help.  Has there been any known outbursts from him, that Lisa is referencing?  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Flyinthesoup said:

Thank you, I did not know about Campbell Sproul's diagnosis.  I'm glad he has help.  Has there been any known outbursts from him, that Lisa is referencing?  

I don’t know that we would know. But it seems that Lisa is using his diagnosis, and mental health stigma generally, to undermine anything he says about her and Spanky. As she would use any excuse to undermine Spanky’s adult kids.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 7

On 4/30/2019 at 10:54 PM, older than allosaurs said:

One of Lisa's non-Sproul stepchildren died by suicide and references were made by his siblings to his depression.

The teen son of one of my neighbors committed suicide last year. He too was chronically depressed. Some of us could see it coming but there was nothing any of us could do to prevent it. We've had some private discussions about it. We're all of the opinion it was mom who drove her son to suicide. Seeing her interact with him was painful, sometimes horrifying. So much shaming and guilt-tripping. He was a good kid, never in any serious trouble. But he could never do enough to please her. Constantly reprimanding him with bible verses over the most petty offenses. Quite often we'd see her get in her car with the fish symbol and "Try Jesus" license plate frame and drive off to her many ladies bible studies and prayer groups right after ragging on her son. It was painful to have to hear. If there had been any physical abuse I would have been the first to call the CPS hotline. In fact I did call CPS but they said they had no authority to investigate verbal abuse. In their world emotional scars mean nothing, only physical scars. Then when her son suicided the only thing she could say was, "He was always a lost soul." None of us ever had to wonder why he was chronically depressed and why he was "lost." Ironically enough my neighbor's name is Lisa.

Edited by Banyan
  • Sad 13

18 hours ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

I don’t know that we would know. But it seems that Lisa is using his diagnosis, and mental health stigma generally, to undermine anything he says about her and Spanky. As she would use any excuse to undermine Spanky’s adult kids.

I agree and I find it especially sad and disgusting. I am glad that he has a family and a life of his own with supporting people around him, but still it must hurt. Those two really embody the mors tua vita mea motto.

• Upvote 9

22 hours ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

It's called projection, something Borderlines do reflexively. I posted a comment recently on Spinderella Sproul about that very issue.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

On 5/1/2019 at 1:54 PM, older than allosaurs said:

I didn’t know about Campbell. I’m glad he was diagnosed and hopefully medicated young and I’m glad he seems to have a supportive wife, but it’s a lot for her to deal with, especially if the diagnosis wasn’t known about pre marriage. I hope they have a lot of support from non Spanky/Lisa family.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 5/1/2019 at 7:06 PM, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

What a horrible thing for her to do!  She's crazy!

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked and unlocked this topic
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic