IGNORED

Maxwell 27: Increasing the Clan

Coconut Flan

56 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Probably because New Year's Eve tends to be a big heathen holiday full of partying, drinking and debauchery (or so they assume - I think the reality for most of us is more along the lines of pizza and Netflix). So they have to make a big religious statement to show that they're different. The Duggars do something similar - they always 'pray in' the new year. 

Praying in the New Year is a pretty common thing for many church groups in my experience. Being somewhat religious still myself, and being very spiritual in general, it does kind of make sense to me. But of course fundies are praying for things like making abortion illegal, for Trump to build the wall, or for people to stop getting divorces. I am hoping people of all faiths and beliefs can come together and send prayers and positive thoughts for the overall well-being of humankind in the New Year, not stupid conservative agendas. Who knows what they pray for in Maxhell.  That no movies are ever made again in 2019? That young men and women do not touch anyone outside of their families? That women would not spend more than 15 minutes a day preparing food? For all churches to dismantle? Random thought - is there photographic evidence of the Maxwellians playing board games ever?

Update: Just found it https://blog.titus2.com/2015/07/22/young-and-old-a-perfect-match/

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@freejugar,  if Arnold was washing his kitty bits, he'd probably have have one leg stretched into the air or maybe be lying on his back with his legs spread apart.  One of our cats was famous for one leg stretched straight up into the air for his bath.  That position became known as the Larry leg.

Would the Maxwells approve of my New Year's Eve? Let's see. . . 

I'm being industrious, getting tasks done - sounds Maxwellian.

While I tend to work in small chunks, I am not rigidly keeping to a 15-minute-per-task schedule -- bad girl.

I'm not drinking liquor. Of course, that's because I hate the taste of it, but still . . . Maxwell-approved.

I'm planning for work, for which I am paid by non-family members -- bad, very bad, for a woman.

Some of the work I'm doing is cleaning -- always Maxwell-approved.

I've been finding new pieces for my students -- secular music, and religious music from their own traditions (Catholic, Hindu and Mormon) -- quite horrifying to a Maxwell.

Soon I will take a break to eat a healthful salad -- good (but I'm not blending it into a smoothie).

As background to this relaxed workfest, I am going back and forth between Dr. Who and Twilight Zone marathons -- unGodly fantasy stories on the Beast. Let's face it, I'm headed straight for Hell!

?

57 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

just got back from store... got herring and Batman ice cream.  and I have you guys so I'm all set!

(my life is sad)

I have to work at 5am so my life is sadder than yours. I ate a dinner of leftovers about an hour ago and am about to shower and settle in for some reading. If typical nights before 5am shifts are anything to go on, I'll be asleep 3 hours before 2019 makes its arrival. 

I'm a damn heathen. I am a female going off to work - at a second/part time job no less. The real job is off tomorrow, so I volunteered for the extra hours. I'm probably going to hell for many reasons, but debauchery on New Year's Eve won't be among them. 

My New Year’s Eve will consist of taking a client dog out. Grabbing something for dinner, watching stuff from my DVR and possibly falling asleep before midnight!  

I have put chicken thighs in to marinate.  I have to pick a flavor of hot chocolate and Dawg just ate dinner and thinks he wants to walk.  I haven't told him it's raining.

@thoughtful,  I just checked out the Twilight Zone lineup this evening on SYiFy and it looks great:  Time Enough at Last, It's a Good Life, The Monster are Due on Maple Street,  Walking Distance and Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,  People are Alike All Over -all classic episodes.  (I saw The Odyssey of Flightier 33 very recently.*)   I do want to catch what is probably my favorite episode of Perry Mason at 11:30 on ME tv though:  The Case of the Madcap Modiste.   I date my fandom of Marie Windsor from that episode.  

I've got a small bottle of prosecco chilling in the fridge waiting for the clock to strike 12.

*That episode drives me a bit bonkers.  The pilot of a passenger jet thinks they may have broken the sound barrier. He says something about their speed being just under 500 mph, they did not hear hear Mach alarms going off, and them goes on to say that their speed was 3000 knots.  3000 knots is 3000 nautical miles per hour so yeah, they busted the hell out of the sound barrier.  Rod Serling's avation writer brother helped him with the dialogue which is supposed to be very authentic, but that it a pretty big mistake.

Btw, Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier on October 14, 1947 in his X-1, Glamorous Glennis.

4 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

My New Year’s Eve is me doing laundry at my parents and watching Schitts Creek...

I just binge watched this show and I’m so in love with it!! 

So my husband and adult kids are in So America. I am in the middle of a multi-staged dental nightmare so I opted to stay home+ Care for the DOG, so I’m all alone and happy as a clam. I am having a Caesar Salad, roasted veggies and a steak. Washing it all down with herbal tea. I’m currently watching HGTV and reading a book. It is freezing cold and windy here. Wild times, folks.

I know I'm a page or two late, but I want to post my favorite 2 verses of Row, Row, Row Your Boat.

Row, row, row your boat

Underneath the stream.

Ha, ha, fooled you all!

I'm a submarine!

Row, row, row your boat

Gently down the stream.

Throw Stevehovah overboard

And listen to him scream!

(orginally "throw your teacher overboard")

And that is probably the highlight of my super exciting New Year's Eve! :pb_lol:

I don't wanna brag (heh!) but, Italian take-out and The Walking Dead marathon are the highlights of my New Years's Eve. USMCDAD is now making me a bowl of peanut butter/chocolate (faux) ice cream. 

Our son sent us a battery operated laser pointer for Christmas, so we'll probably turn that on soon and watch the cats have fun. Calm down, everybody! I'll write a post about it later if you want. 

When I can't sleep later, I'll read the John Grisham book I started over the weekend. 

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

just got back from store... got herring and Batman ice cream.  and I have you guys so I'm all set!

(my life is sad)

Eh.  I wrote this note tonight... to my 7 year old. (Husband is out of town and this is a special treat, but it did make me chuckle how my life has changed). 

Spoiler

180ACCAC-E3E6-41FE-A2B2-94E2BC74E493.thumb.jpeg.b820924b28dd5cfee52c2117552dc895.jpeg

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@thoughtful,  I just checked out the Twilight Zone lineup this evening on SYiFy and it looks great:  Time Enough at Last, It's a Good Life, The Monster are Due on Maple Street,  Walking Distance and Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,  People are Alike All Over -all classic episodes.  (I saw The Odyssey of Flightier 33 very recently.*)   I do want to catch what is probably my favorite episode of Perry Mason at 11:30 on ME tv though:  The Case of the Madcap Modiste.   I date my fandom of Marie Windsor from that episode.  

I've got a small bottle of prosecco chilling in the fridge waiting for the clock to strike 12.

*That episode drives me a bit bonkers.  The pilot of a passenger jet thinks they may have broken the sound barrier. He says something about their speed being just under 500 mph, they did not hear hear Mach alarms going off, and them goes on to say that their speed was 3000 knots.  3000 knots is 3000 nautical miles per hour so yeah, they busted the hell out of the sound barrier.  Rod Serling's avation writer brother helped him with the dialogue which is supposed to be very authentic, but that it a pretty big mistake.

Btw, Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier on October 14, 1947 in his X-1, Glamorous Glennis.

I would much rather be watching that right now. The 11:30 episode of TZ is The Bewitchin' Pool. The last episode of the series. It. Is. Awful. :my_dodgy:  But my husband wants to see how it ends, so I'm stuck. I WILL watch the ball drop at midnight, though. :lol:

7 hours ago, meee said:

Wait, why in particular is tonight a night for wailing about the unsaved?

One year (at least), they spent NYE praying for the unsaved.  They prayed on their knees.  As they prayed, they became increasingly emotional and began some serious  weeping over the lost souls. 

And then, being the PhariSteves they are, they wrote all about it online. 

12 hours ago, thoughtful said:

unGodly fantasy stories on the Beast

I'm loving this phrase so much that I had to put it to my account location, right under the picture of poor old Uriah destroying a road in northern Canada! Those were the days...

That picture of the ladies watching parade.... are the streets and sidewalks of Leavenworth always that clean or have the Maxwell ladies brushed, dusted and polished that certain spot beforehand to make sure it is up to their cleaning standards to stand on?? Somehow, I can actually see that happening... Or maybe I'm just used to living in a more shitty place where sidewalks never look clean.

Who's that cute "friend" and could he be a match to Reversal Anna or Mary??

Sarah wrote: "Christopher’s family dropped in one evening. Their children memorized part of the Christmas story which they shared with friends and neighbors throughout the season." So it's not only caroling that the neighbours of Maxhell have to endure every year, but also Bible reciting, and probably more than once during the holiday season. I'd be travelling out of town _so_often_ if I lived in their neighborhood... (I most definitely don't mean to accuse Prissy's kids, because this is not their invention!)

It looks like they still attend the Church Of the Elderly. You can also see Chelsy in the background of the first pic. It looks like she's wearing a frumper, but I hope I'm wrong.

I'm officially in love with Ellie. She really knows where to get food dropped from the table: DSC_3199.jpg

By the way, what is that strange encouragement on the window? "You are beautiful mom" Teri really looks good in the picture with her hair brushed and a little colour on her face, but do they randomly write things like that? "You are so diligent Anna" "Mary you are so artistic" "Dad you are so... so... something"

9 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

Eh.  I wrote this note tonight... to my 7 year old. (Husband is out of town and this is a special treat, but it did make me chuckle how my life has changed). 

Hide contents

180ACCAC-E3E6-41FE-A2B2-94E2BC74E493.thumb.jpeg.b820924b28dd5cfee52c2117552dc895.jpeg

Omg this is so something my husband and I would do. We leave weird notes to one another and love to act all middle school awkward for laughs. 

1 hour ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Who's that cute "friend" and could he be a match to Reversal Anna or Mary??

We are talking about them on the Max prediction thread. They are the “J family” and they have been in a few pictures this month. I was thinking one of the girls could be for Jesse but I suppose that guy could be a match for Anna or Mary. I didn’t even consider it because I never consider anyone for the Max girls. 

15 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

(my life is sad)

You forgot a few hyphens.  Er, didn't you?  You DID mean herring-and-Batman ice cream, yes?  Oh, you didn't?  Sorry, my bad...  :lol:  

I spent last night skimming a few years' worth of accumulated magazines prior to recycling, in order to meet one of my 2018 decluttering goals.  Finished, and was still in bed with the ipad by 9pm, just in time to watch the ball drop in NYC, read a little, and nod off well before midnight on the left coast.

(There were plenty of yearly goals I didn't accomplish, but several major ones that I did, including a weight loss goal and several decluttering goals.   Yay!  Now to make my list of goals for 2019 #suchageek #butheywhateverworks)

Here’s a thought that has been rattling around in my brain for awhile. Remember that story about Steve crying because he caught a glimpse of a woman’s cleavage? That isn’t exactly accurate. He cried because the woman caught him just as his eyes were there, and he thought she would think he was looking at her on purpose. It was the horror that someone would THINK he was lusting or whatever.

That’s called PRIDE, Steve. As in, one of the things God despises (see the book of Proverbs). You cried because you were afraid someone would think you were looking down a woman’s shirt. And then you shamed the woman and her husband on your blog because it was their fault for putting you in that position where your reputation could be damaged.

Seriously, Steve? You’re quackers. 

18 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@freejugar,  if Arnold was washing his kitty bits, he'd probably have have one leg stretched into the air or maybe be lying on his back with his legs spread apart.  One of our cats was famous for one leg stretched straight up into the air for his bath.  That position became known as the Larry leg.

My cat was doing this very thing just a few minutes ago and blocked my view of the TV. So very rude. 

Last night I went to a friends house with other friends, played cards, ate snacks, had one wine cooler, watched the ball drop on the Beast, party broke up 10 minutes later and everyone went home, was home in bed by 12:45 am.  Last NYE I was road tripping, got home at 10 pm and was asleep before midnight. And one NYE when I was in college I had my wisdom teeth pulled and extracted so no partying that night for me.  So see Maxwells not everyone parties and gets drunk on NYE.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived