IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

She needs a job. 

I feel like some of Jill's seeming issues could be addressed if she was a bit more effective and creative at parenting. I know stay-at-home-mom can be a rough, lonely gig, but some of her choices seem to add to her apparent boredom and loneliness. She never seems to get out of the house much with the kids, which I think would help. Take them to things like story time at the library or tumbling tots or swim classes or just to the playground. No three-year-old wants to sit and watch a law school lecture. It would break up the day for the kids and give Jill some time hanging out with other adults. Like @artdecades mentioned, she needs to get a hobby that's just for her--preferably one that gets her out of the house (and Derick needs to adult the hell up and be responsible for his kids once a week while she does it, I should add). 

I feel like this is where growing up in a fairly isolated way on the compound has hurt her. When she was living at the TTH, she had a built-in support system that she could use for socializing. Now that she's on her own, she doesn't appear to know what to do with herself. 

Maybe it’s to let Israel see his dad somehow, like “hey look where daddy is”? My 3 year old would kind of like that. 

Otherwise, that is so weird and a bit unhealthy. Yikes

There is PLENTY to do in that area. Bentonville has huge parks, there's the new-ish children's museum, malls, classes, etc. But Jill may not be comfortable going out alone much because she was never really allowed to.

And making the kids watch the lecture could be a "look, there's Papa!" kind of thing. If Derick is gone a lot (and we know he's not real engaged with them) that may be the only time they get to see him. 

But honestly I believe Jill is just that clingy and overprotective.

Perhaps Derick shared an interesting case with her and was going to present in that class. She might have wanted to see his presentation. Or she could be interested in his course. Or she isn’t interested at all but wants to portray an interest in her hubby’s education to her followers. I wish she would join a Mom group, take some more language courses, or a Book Club. Her only interest is her husband. 

What 3 year old wants to watch this though? If she just parented effectively her attention span probably wouldn't wander to Wreck so often. I'm sure JB would pay* for those kids to be in swimming lessons or a mommy group. Something to get Jill out of the house.

*Since the Dullards have no income.

Sorry if this has been discussed as nauseam, but when the hell are Derick's braces coming off?? Is there a FJ dental professional with insight. My son started treatment for very similar issues. His braces, upper and lower expanders, have been on and off inside the time of Derick's treatment.  I wonder if their financial circumstance have prevented him finishing treatment.  Again, sorry if this is redundant.

34 minutes ago, justmissedquiver said:

Sorry if this has been discussed as nauseam, but when the hell are Derick's braces coming off?? Is there a FJ dental professional with insight. My son started treatment for very similar issues. His braces, upper and lower expanders, have been on and off inside the time of Derick's treatment.  I wonder if their financial circumstance have prevented him finishing treatment.  Again, sorry if this is redundant.

Why does it matter?  He's not a teen idol making bank on his good looks and charming grin.

Everyone is different in how fast things move and maybe his specific situation takes longer to correct.

Asking when he will stop being a hateful bigot I can get behind, but I don't know why people give a shit about his dental work.

1 hour ago, Markie said:

Perhaps Derick shared an interesting case with her and was going to present in that class. She might have wanted to see his presentation. Or she could be interested in his course. Or she isn’t interested at all but wants to portray an interest in her hubby’s education to her followers. I wish she would join a Mom group, take some more language courses, or a Book Club. Her only interest is her husband. 

Maybe, but first year law classes are not really the type where there are presentations (unless they have changed dramatically in the past 13 yrs since I was a 1L). 

She has always seemed super clingy. I agree that she could just want to appear supportive and she executed that in a super weird way. 

Even a child-free women’s bible study would do her some good. 

I’m really curious to know the longest amount of time Jill has ever spent alone. She grew up as one of a herd, so I can’t imagine she ever found herself the only person in a house until after she got married. She took Derrick lunch when he worked at Walmart, so that’s what, maybe four hours at a stretch? I have a hard time believing she’s spent much time since then without Derrick and/or at least one kid within viewing range, and that just makes me so sad. I really think she drank more kool aid than any of the rest, and took to the JOY concept so hard that she doesn’t have any real concept of herself that doesn’t rely on someone else for context. 

Cross Church is a very large church. There has to be some type of mommy meet-up, women's bible study, etc. I'm genuinely puzzled as to what is keeping Jill from making use of these groups. Does she feel self-conscious around more "worldly" fundies? Does she really not relate to women her own age, something I have personally struggled with on occasion? Is she only functional in hyper rigid environments and the least hit of freedom is terrifying rather than exhilarating? I just don't get it. 

I just don’t understand any of this. If Derrick was presenting or something similar I would almost get it. Like, “this is what daddy does when he isn’t home” or “Derrick was so nervous about his presentation today I told him we would be watching and he could just pretend he was talking to us.” But she didn’t present it that way. Maybe she’s tuning in so she can pass information on to JB so he stays just above board. 

35 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Why does it matter?  He's not a teen idol making bank on his good looks and charming grin.

Everyone is different in how fast things move and maybe his specific situation takes longer to correct.

Asking when he will stop being a hateful bigot I can get behind, but I don't know why people give a shit about his dental work.

I think when there’s a dearth of babies and weddings and we’ve run through most of the usual drifts (repeatedly)..things can get kind of meh over in these parts.  Especially when they (any of them) haven’t done a new particularly hateful thing. Some aren’t so inclined to that aspect of the snark.

2 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I think when there’s a dearth of babies and weddings and we’ve run through most of the usual drifts (repeatedly)..things can get kind of meh over in these parts.  Especially when they (any of them) haven’t done a new particularly hateful thing. Some aren’t so inclined to that aspect of the snark.

maybe.  Plenty of new threads to discover here though.  Other families with different varieties of yuckiness.  None fundy stuff.

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

maybe.  Plenty of new threads to discover here though.  Other families with different varieties of yuckiness.  None fundy stuff.

I totally agree. We got some diehard loyalists in the various forums though.

Just hypothesizing :) 

Oh Jill. I wonder if she does crafts or takes her kids outside very much when Derick is away.

She may wear jeans, etc, but I don't think she knows much about the real world. 

23 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I totally agree. We got some diehard loyalists in the various forums though.

Just hypothesizing :) 

You're absolutely right.  It's not a hypothesis, it's a fact.

And as you said this does happen when it's slow.  Instead of being happy they aren't marrying off barely legal emotionally and educationally stunted kidults or growing more Duggars it turns into BEC when there isn't anything going on.

The answer isn't to go all BEC on the Duggars.

48 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Cross Church is a very large church. There has to be some type of mommy meet-up, women's bible study, etc. I'm genuinely puzzled as to what is keeping Jill from making use of these groups. Does she feel self-conscious around more "worldly" fundies? Does she really not relate to women her own age, something I have personally struggled with on occasion? Is she only functional in hyper rigid environments and the least hit of freedom is terrifying rather than exhilarating? I just don't get it. 

I think that's what it is. Jill was never really encouraged to form deep personal relationships with people outside her immediate family, and I get the sense that in the extremely cliquey world of ATI/IBLP (at least it seems very cliquey) and even within her group of sisters, she was the odd one out. So now she's an adult: her sisters don't really hang out with her anymore now that they're married and have friend groups of their own, she never really made friends with other fundie families (think Michael and Jana, or Joy and Carlin), and now she has no freakin' clue how to made friends because no one taught her how, and her husband just shoves her in front of people (Salvadoran women, law students) whose experiences and worldviews are so alien to her that she can't really relate to them, and might even be scared to. 

Is Jill at a sushi bar having a lunch special? Because she got a raw deal. 

55 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I wonder if all the tagging along she did with DWreck, while he was in the Cross Church program, turned people off. 

I wouldn't be surprised if she has difficulty relating to women her own age.  I could see her finding a niche volunteering with older people.

From I've seen of Jill on the various shows/media and from what has been said about her smug/superior attitude by some people who have (apparently) met her at Church, it wouldn't surprise me if Jill is unable to relate to people her own age as an equal (she seemed like a know-it-all who wanted to be in the teacher role even when dealing with her close in age siblings), and/or she is just so fixated on her #besthubbyever as to be tedious enough that other people just don't want to be around her - as a lot of people here have pointed out, it isn't like she has a hobby or outside interest. I cannot imagine having to sustain a conversation with someone as uninformed, ignorant and narrowly focused as Jill appears. Unless she's around people with the same focus on the same or similar interests, she's going to have a difficult time appealing to others.

Also, the Fundy fixation with appearing perfect combined with a less than perfect reality could be a difficult tension for her to negotiate IRL - where the messy bits can't be edited out.

Maybe I'm wrong and Jill has a life that just isn't making an impression on her social media - I hope so - but it sure doesn't look much like it.

Do we know that she doesn't participate in any groups? She once posted about notes that women in her church made praying for her sons, which made it sound to me like she was in some kind of women's group there.

Found it! It wasn't that long ago. Per this post, she is in a small group through her church:

7 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Oh gosh it doesn't matter one bit. In the the same way it doesn't matter if Jill's shoes dont match her dress. Or whether or not serving chocolate milk in boxes is appropriate for a 3pm reception. I'm just a bored ex fundy making conversation. And I really am curious as to whether they have run out of money for treatment, as it is speculated that JB holds the family purse. Is he withholding the $$ that would allow him to finish treatments? That would be a really shitty thing to do.

14 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Exersaucers are more stationary though. The problem with being too tall/too heavy for a jumper is the damage that can be done to the tendons and ligaments in a baby's knees. 

Yeah I never bought a jumper or a walker for that reason ?‍♀️ they can be damaging when used properly according to my PT friend.  I just meant that I've used things like that past the normal age. 

Jill is one of my least favorite but I think she doesn't really understand how to Instagram...I doubt Izzy is actually watching it he's probably just sitting with Jill he may be just eating smores and coloring no next to her for all we know. 

Also i think no matter the reason she's watching at least she'll inadvertently learn something lol so it's definitely a good thing in my book! 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived