IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

Other than I guess texture I see no real difference between smooth and crunchy... growing up my mom bought both, I'm pretty sure without rhyme or reason. I prefer smooth for sandwiches but I love crunchy on apples. 

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were on the state program where they gave you huge logs of processed cheese, peanut butter, and powdered milk when I was really little. I strongly remember hating the crunchy peanut butter but that's what my mom got cuz that's what 'she' liked. When that program ended the crunchy purchase continued, even though I begged for creamy. Now we keep a small jar of extra crunchy for Hubby and making cookies and the kids and I chow down on the creamy with honey added. And I feel so bad for people with allergies, never being able to taste a Reese's!

Okay folks, here's my second offering of a recipe. This no-bake cheesecake is sweeter than a real cheesecake and not as rich tasting, but if you can't use an oven for some reason, it isn't too bad. My mom got it from a church friend in the 1970s.

Spoiler

Cheesecake

Crust:

1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/4 cup sugar

6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine

Combine and press into bottom and sides of an 8 inch square pan or a 9 inch pie pan. Chill crust

Filling:

4 packages (3 oz each) cream cheese, softened

[or just use 1 1/2 packages of cream cheese that comes in 8 oz packages :pb_rollseyes: ]

2 cups cold milk

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 package (3 3/4 oz) vanilla or lemon instant pudding

Beat cream cheese until very soft. Blend in 1/2 cup milk. Add rest of milk, sugar, vanilla, and pudding mix. Beat as directed on package for pie. Pour into crust. Chill until firm, at least 2 hours. Top with cherry, blueberry, or other canned pie filling. Or just add whipped topping.

We also had a fruit cocktail cake (with canned fruit cocktail) that we would make for potlucks, mainly because we always had always seemed to have the ingredients on hand. I don't think I liked that one well enough to copy the recipe, though. :think:

6 hours ago, artdecades said:

She also posted a picture of Israel with a picture book that 1) appears to be age appropriate and 2) doesn't seem to be about Jesus or a conservative worldview. The horror!

Yes, but is that book right side up??

7 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

the state program where they gave you huge logs of processed cheese,

Not gonna lie - I was SUPER jealous of my friends who got that! We called it "commodity cheese" and it was SO FUCKING GOOD.

When I moved to Germany, AAFES sold it in the commissary. I was IN HEAVEN. Then some jackturd wrote a letter to the editor of the Stars and Stripes, complaining that his "taxes had already paid for it" so "why are they selling it?"

The cheese disappeared the next day.

It took a couple of months, but there was enough outcry from those of us who would willingly "pay twice" for it, that they started stocking it again.

I wonder if Jill or OfJill know why the 11th day of the 11th month is Veteran's Day  and why this particular Veteran's/Remembrance/Armistice Day is so significant.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

I wonder if Jill or OfJill know why the 11th day of the 11th month is Veteran's Day  and why this particular Veteran's/Remembrance/Armistice Day is so significant.

For Jill, without a prompt , probably as likely as Trump knowing why he was asked to go to Paris this weekend.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Not gonna lie - I was SUPER jealous of my friends who got that! We called it "commodity cheese" and it was SO FUCKING GOOD.

Is that the same thing as the freedoms choice brand cheese they have now? (The commissary generic brand)

28 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Doubt it, no one in her family has served.  I don’t remember her ever posting anything about Veterans Day before.

@Baxter My mom used to make something similar to this only it also had dates in it.  Loved it as a kid with whipped cream on top.  Haven't had it in years.  It was about the consistency of PlayDoh, rolled into a roll and sliced!  Ah, this food is bringing back memories!!

31 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Doubt it, no one in her family has served.  I don’t remember her ever posting anything about Veterans Day before.

You don't exactly have to be a military family to know when World War I ended. You just need a tiiiiny bit of education.

38 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Is that the same thing as the freedoms choice brand cheese they have now? (The commissary generic brand)

No idea. I haven't been in a commissary in almost 30 years. lol

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Very nice photo of the Dillards at a Veteran's Day centered function on Jill's IG.

Until you see that the speakers included one of the Duck Dynasty guys and Oliver "Iran Contra" North.

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

You don't exactly have to be a military family to know when World War I ended. You just need a tiiiiny bit of education.

Does Jill have enough education for this? I just don't see the Duggars learning any real history. See Jim Bob pointing to the castle saying this is where King James wrote the King James Bible.

They look nice. Doesn't stop either of them from being awful human beings. And yes, PTSD is definitely an issue for veterans. I just feel prickly because I feel like these idiots might bring religion into it. :( My great uncle was a gunner in the Royal Navy during WWII. After 6 years of war, he came home completely changed. Shell shock was the diagnosis. He went into a mental institution at the end of 1945, he left it when he died in 1995. PTSD is serious, it's heart breaking, it tears families apart.

4 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

Jill's grandpa (Michelle's dad) Garrett Ruark was an Army veteran. (And the person Garrett Duggar is named after.)

After you've eaten your soft boiled egg in an egg cup, ( no need to peel, just scoop with a spoon) don't forget to put a hole in the bottom of the shell. If you don't, witches will steal it and sail to sea in it and drown the sailors. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

I tried another batch of soft boiled eggs this morning. They were a little better than yesterday’s but there’s still room for improvement. I’ll keep trying. 

My mom's recipe for chicken and waffles HAS to be my contribution. Toast eggo waffles. Butter, then sprinkle grooves with sugar. Pour a can of cream of chicken soup, prepared, over waffles. Eat. ?

5 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

My mom's recipe for chicken and waffles HAS to be my contribution. Toast eggo waffles. Butter, then sprinkle grooves with sugar. Pour a can of cream of chicken soup, prepared, over waffles. Eat. ?

I am so sorry that happened to you.  ((hugs))

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived