IGNORED

Dillards 69 : Write Your Own Joke Here

HerNameIsBuffy

We used to have a desert thing, called frog eyes. Pistaschio pudding, cooked acini de pepe (pasta) and cool whip all combined. I actually liked it.  Also “dump cake” which involved cake mix, canned cherry pie filling and other stuff, BlackberryBoy says it looked like someone took a dump in a big cake pan, hence the name.  

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Pretty sure I'd die. I'm happy at my 225 feet elevation. :)  (Bryce and Zion and Santa Fe and Breckenridge = SapphireSlytherin gets nosebleeds.)

I used to teach kids skiing and snowboarding. A lot of parents would fly into Denver (5280 ft) and drive right up to where we are, without staying a day down on the Front Range/Denver area to acclimate a little to the elevation. Then the kiddos would be put in class the next morning, we had to take a lot of water/cocoa breaks. Hydration helps next time you're at altitude, and taking it easy for a day or two. Also if you can, have a humidifier. Hotels all have them, if you're staying somewhere else, some places in mountain resort areas even rent them. 

Most places aren't higher than where I grew up/live. The town my cousin and I are trying to move to is at 10,152 ft above sea level, it's the highest city in the United States, it's Leadville, Colorado.

8 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:

We used to have a desert thing, called frog eyes. Pistaschio pudding, cooked acini de pepe (pasta) and cool whip all combined. I actually liked it.  Also “dump cake” which involved cake mix, canned cherry pie filling and other stuff, BlackberryBoy says it looked like someone took a dump in a big cake pan, hence the name.  

Nooooo...... BlackBerry Boy just ruined Dump Cake for all time :mindblowing:

My grandma used to make a dessert square called "goo goo" which was a big family favorite growing up. My sister and I decided to make it a couple years ago because my grandma can no longer bake. Omg, if we saw the ingredient list now we would have never made it because it sounds disgusting.

The ingredients are condensed mils, Graham cracker crumbs, mini marshmallows and walnuts. Mix it all together and then press it into a pan that has more graham crumbs on the bottom. Sprinkle more graham crumbs on top and refrigerate until it sets. 

It still tasted just as good as we remembered but if we hadn't eaten it as kids, we would have never even given it a second glance. I'm assuming this was a recipe from the back of the condensed milk can. 

We do a lot of "fusion" food around here.  My husband likes me to make him a hot dish from the old country he calls "corn cheese".  Open a can of kernel corn, drain, add plenty of mayo and maybe some green onions, pour into a pan and sprinkle a crap ton of grated cheese on top, then bake in the oven until bubbling.  He eats it with a spoon.  

Then there's "army stew", inspired by Americans in Korea during the war: ramen noodles with ham, sausage/hotdogs, spam, baked beans, kimchi and gochujang.  Ooh, and some sliced cheese for extra sodium.

There's lots more, I just feel my blood pressure getting dangerously high.  

Just now, LilMissMetaphor said:

Then there's "army stew", inspired by Americans in Korea during the war: ramen noodles with ham, sausage/hotdogs, spam, baked beans, kimchi and gochujang.  Ooh, and some sliced cheese for extra sodium.

We eat a lot of korean/hawaiian/Japanese mashups around here, but while nothing in that ramen phases me a bit, the cheese somehow pushes it over the top for me. Hard no on the cheese. (and sausage yes! Hot dogs no!) 

Does anyone know how to soft boil eggs and get them so I can put them in my ramen like a restaurant? I can't seem to both soft boil and peel them. 

My contribution to Duggar-ish recipes. Dinner tonight: set brown rice to cook with powdered bouillon cuz the homemade stock is frozen and i am too lazy to thaw it. While rice is cooking, brown boneless, skinless chicken breasts in skillet. From frozen state cuz meal planning in advance isn't my thing. And without seasoning cuz i'm tired and lazy. Dump half a jar of salsa over chicken, cover and ignore til done. Add cooked rice to skillet. Add frozen green beans and corn. Frozen cuz tomorrow is grocery day so I have no fresh produce left and even if I did I can't be bothered to chop and steam veggies tonight. Dump remaining salsa on top. Cover and cook til veggies are hot. Dump into plate and serve. Fight to keep cat off table while we eat.

In my defence, I spent the day washing windows, blinds and the bathtub, with the diligent help of the aforementioned cat, so my laziness in cooking isn't Duggar-style lazy, but is legitimately caused by putting in a full day of actual work.

23 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

You know, I wonder if this dude has thought about the ramifications of changing his age to 49?  i.e. what happens to his pension, and does he need to repay what he has gained?

I think they should totally let him. But he has to chose the 20 years to take away. Whatever he did during those years should not count. So if he earned money he’d have to pay them back. If he did any sort of education he’d have to redo it. And if that education got him his job he’d have to quit and repay everything he made there. 

23 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

the version with marshmallows, pineapple, and pecans in addition to pudding and cool whip is called a Watergate Salad.

I really thought that kind of thing was just something Marshall’s mum made in How I Met Your Mother. I’m with Austin on this one. Lettuce is sallad, marshmallows is not. 

Back on DuggarTopic:  Jill's insta story has two videos. The first is Sam saying "sh" (and it's WAYYY too long - it would have been fine at 5 seconds). The second is Sam SPINNING in his johnny-jump-up. It's HILARIOUS. So funny, even MrSlytherin laughed.

4 hours ago, patsymae said:

Ditto "log" or "surprise"

In the 50s jello was considered a healthy "protein" dessert, and if you added canned fruit, you were a really great nutritionist mom. Hard to believe now that congealed neon-colored sugared liquid meat was considered a health food, but it was. And then in the 60s we ate tons of gelatin because it was supposed to make our fingernails strong and gorgeous.

I'm sure that such a "surprise" was rarely pleasant!

15 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@Maggie Mae I have never made soft boiled eggs before but I really want to after reading this thread. I’m interested to see if anyone will tell us how to peel these softies.

I don't think you peel them, just crack around the middle latitude-wise and scoop out the egg with a spoon.

2 hours ago, BlackberryGirl said:

My sisters and I used to call tapioca pudding "fish eyes."  

3 hours ago, Kailash said:

I feel like this is the appropriate thread to announce that I’m currently eating a peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. 

Yum!! But do you use creamy peanut butter or crunchy? (I'm currently eating a bowl of mashed potatoes because of the JillRod thread.)

Here are my recipe contributions. Both are of the no-bake dessert variety.

#1 Frosty Strawberry Pie

Spoiler

This is from The Joys of Jell-O with this cover:

Spoiler

jello-joy1-e1485987623360.jpg.07fa3c274a34e843f1337e0dbc27b4d1.jpg

Frosty Strawberry Pie

1 (10 oz.) package frozen strawberries 

1 (3 oz.) package strawberry flavored Jell-O

1 pint strawberry or vanilla ice cream

1 baked 9 inch pastry shell, cooled [we always used a graham cracker crust]

Drain strawberries, measuring syrup. Add water to syrup to make 1 cup. [my note--I don't think strawberries are frozen in syrup anymore] Bring liquid to a boil; then add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Spoon in ice cream, stirring until melted and smooth. Chill until thickened, about 20 minutes. Fold in strawberries. Pour into pastry shell (or graham crust). Chill until firm, about 1 1/2 hours or longer. Garnish with prepared Dream Whip Whipped Topping or whipped cream, if desired. [Anyone else grow up with Dream Whip, Cool Whip's powdered cousin?]

Note: About 3/4 to 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries may be substituted for the frozen berries, using 1 cup boiling water instead of the syrup mixture and dissolving 1/4 cup sugar in the water with the gelatin. 

Ack! I have to feed my munchkins, so recipe #2, no bake cheesecake, will have to wait a bit.

34 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@Maggie Mae I have never made soft boiled eggs before but I really want to after reading this thread. I’m interested to see if anyone will tell us how to peel these softies.

When I hear soft boiled egg I think things like these:  https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/boiled-egg-soldiers/fec32bff-f0f4-431c-b30f-f3b97b7e9b5d .  No I haven't made them, or to my knowledge eaten them.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for egg wise? https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/1535-tamago-toji-handmade-udon-in-egg-drop-noodle-soup

For soft boiled egg:

add vinegar to the boiling water and put eggs in ice water for ~5 minutes after they’re done. Makes them much easier to peel. 

@KailashI was going to say the same thing that @Granwych posted about tapping the soft boiled egg on the side near the top.  I used to make Eggs and Toast Soldiers for my girls all the time.  My husband called them Eggs and Dippers, but I like the name Eggs and Toast Soldiers better.  I learned that name for them from Paradise Postponed by John Mortimer, btw.

I made stewed chicken over rice for supper with peas and gravy.  (And nothing came out of a can, lol)  Made chicken stock out of the carcasses (2 chickens cooked) bagged up the leftover meat for the freezer, where the stock is going once it's cooled.  Picked out any edible shreds for his majesty the dog.  I also made 2 loaves of white bread, and after eating 2 pieces, Grampwych proclaimed it the best I ever made.  Also browned up some ground beef for lasagna or stuffed shells.  

"Twas a prolific day in the kitchen.  Now I'll be exhausted for weeks, or until Thanksgiving, lol.  I don't know how I cooked like that when Wychling was little, but I did.  

20 minutes ago, Kailash said:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? I use creamy. I hope we can still be friends. 

I haven't had a peanut butter and pickle sandwich in years.You reminded me of them.

I used to love crunchy best,but now I prefer creamy peanut butter.

Have you ever had the peanut butter by Peanut Butter and Company?They have some good ones.Mighty Maple,Smooth Operator,Dark Chocolate Dreams,Cinnamon Raisin Swirl,The Bees Knees,Crunch Time and White Chocolate Wonderful.

I avoid buy some of them,otherwise I can't resist ,and might end up eating most of the jar,myself.

I grew up on smooth/creamy peanut butter, but learned to love crunchy.

Then? I had my gall bladder removed and my body will no longer tolerate peanut butter. This makes me incredibly sad. 

1 hour ago, Someone Out There said:

When I hear soft boiled egg I think things like these:  https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/boiled-egg-soldiers/fec32bff-f0f4-431c-b30f-f3b97b7e9b5d .  No I haven't made them, or to my knowledge eaten them. (snipped)

Thank you!! I tried the recipe I quoted but I used a small saucepan. I brought the water to a boil, added a splash of vinegar and then boiled the eggs for 4 minutes and 30 seconds. The whites were not all the way set which I discovered when I tried to peel the first one. The second one I cracked the top and scooped out with a spoon. It was prettier than the first. Next time I will either use a bigger pot with more water or I will boil the eggs for 6 minutes. I really think I could peel them nicely if the whites set all the way. 

@Maggie Mae I thought about taking a picture for you( @HerNameIsBuffy created a monster- she taught me how to post pics) but I didn’t think the plating was up to your standard. 

Thank you to everyone who chimed in with recipes and advice. This concludes tonight’s episode of Kailash Cooks. :my_biggrin:

I forgot a step because of course I did. I briefly put the eggs in an ice bath. How brief? Less than a minute, I was hungry. 

1 hour ago, Kailash said:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? I use creamy. I hope we can still be friends. 

I prefer crunchy, but I can fully respect the love of creamy. :pb_smile: My great grandfather liked pb and pickle sandwiches, so counting back to him, we have 5 generations of eating pb and pickle sandwiches. Some of us like creamy, some crunchy; some of us like dill pickles (ME, ME, ME!) and some of us like sweet pickles. It's not something very many people I know in real life understand. They're mostly grossed out. :pb_mrgreen:

1 hour ago, Kailash said:

@Maggie Mae I thought about taking a picture for you( @HerNameIsBuffy created a monster- she taught me how to post pics) but I didn’t think the plating was up to your standard. 

I will never mock anyone else's plating at FJ! That's reserved for those instagrams that only post pictures of poorly lit hamburger helper!

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Back on DuggarTopic:  Jill's insta story has two videos. The first is Sam saying "sh" (and it's WAYYY too long - it would have been fine at 5 seconds). The second is Sam SPINNING in his johnny-jump-up. It's HILARIOUS. So funny, even MrSlytherin laughed.

She also posted a picture of Israel with a picture book that 1) appears to be age appropriate and 2) doesn't seem to be about Jesus or a conservative worldview. The horror!

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived