IGNORED

The Midterms: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Destiny

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what pisses me off is how close the big races always seem to be. Like less than a 1.5% spread between the winners and losers and it seems that the Dems are always on the losing end. 

At least there will be some check on Trump-

But what about in 2020??? Is Trump going to lose the popular vote yet win the EC, again? No, the Dems need to find a candidate who can beat that dude at his game.

I don't know if this is official yet, but it looks like there will be over 100 women in the House for the first time ever. Almost half of the women elected so far tonight are women of color. I know it is easy to feel defeated when things look so bleak but progress is being made and we really need to keep pushing forward. I just reminded my teen daughter last night that some changes take more than a generation to happen. While we did take a big step back 2 years ago hopefully we can keep gaining ground.

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

I think what pisses me off is how close the big races always seem to be. Like less than a 1.5% spread between the winners and losers and it seems that the Dems are always on the losing end. 

At least there will be some check on Trump-

But what about in 2020??? Is Trump going to lose the popular vote yet win the EC, again? No, the Dems need to find a candidate who can beat that dude at his game.

I agree about the tight races. I do suspect some of the issues polling places had were a big hit to certain races, especially in Texas and Florida. 

1 minute ago, nvmbr02 said:

I don't know if this is official yet, but it looks like there will be over 100 women in the House for the first time ever. Almost half of the women elected so far tonight are women of color. I know it is easy to feel defeated when things look so bleak but progress is being made and we really need to keep pushing forward. I just reminded my teen daughter last night that some changes take more than a generation to happen. While we did take a big step back 2 years ago hopefully we can keep gaining ground.

This helps bring comfort. I'm pretty damn glad my sisters candidate Ilhan Om..an? er?... won. Yay! 

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

Oh and I don't want Pelosi as Speaker. New blood is needed

Why? I think experience is highly needed at this time. Experience and boldness. Rather than impeachment, I would love to see an Article 25 on Trump. He is a loon. True, that leaves us with Pence but hopefully he is at least literate.

I'm seeing ageism in this thread and it bothers me.  I am of a certain age and am sensitive to prejudice directed at anyone because of when they were born. Everyone is different and should be judged on their individual merits, not something they can't control which is irrelevant anyway.

2 minutes ago, VixenToast said:

This helps bring comfort. I'm pretty damn glad my sisters candidate Ilhan Om..an? er?... won. Yay! 

Ilhan Omar. I was happy to see her win too! Overall this looks like a good year for MN Dems. 

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I would like to see some new blood too but Pelosi has been a very effective speaker. 

3 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Why?

Time for fresh blood.

I also did not vote for Feinstein this go around. The Dems need some fresh blood who speak to our youth. They are the future of the Democratic party.

2 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

Ilhan Omar. I was happy to see her win too! Overall this looks like a good year for MN Dems. 

I would like to see some new blood too but Pelosi has been a very effective speaker. 

Above all else she is the best fundraiser-

4 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

I agree, and don't like her being judged on her age. Not good.

Oh Rufus, so far with nearly 60% of the votes for it counted so far, Nebraska has roughly 7 points advantage for Yes on Medicaid expansion. Rufus, I could so use this, omg. My teeth are rotting out of my head, I can't afford to fix them. 

On a lighter note, I've bought some Angry Orchard Rosé and I must say that after two bottles down, I may be minimally less stressed but it doesn't feel so cold outside. And it's yummy and low alcohol. :) I don't drink, my friends, but when I do, it's best at a low alcohol level ;) 

We have the house, and may we all cheers to that!

5 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Time for fresh blood.

I also did not vote for Feinstein this go around. The Dems need some fresh blood who speak to our youth. They are the future of the Democratic party.

Please see my edited comment. I don't agree that this is the time for "fresh blood", this is the time for experienced warriors who know how to deal with the with the unprincipled rethuglican senate and president. So nobody needs to speak to the rest of us? Sorry, I don't worship at the altar of youth. Ageism is as ugly as any other ism. Present issues affect everyone, young, old, and in-between.

11 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

She likely won't stick around long.  She's more or less said if they win the House back she'll be speaker only transitionally.

We'll see, but if that's the plan, I'm fine with it.

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

Please see my edited comment. So nobody needs to speak to the rest of us? Sorry, I don't worship at the altar of youth. Ageism is as ugly as any other ism. Present issues affect everyone, young, old, and in-between.

Sorry...she is from my state. I get to listen to both she and Feinstein, a lot. Sometimes it is time to move on. It happens in all profession- *see the age limits for commercial pilots. They serve us; we get to decide. Oh, an I'm just shy of social security myself.

2 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

She likely won't stick around long.  She's more or less said if they win the House back she'll be speaker only transitionally.

We'll see, but if that's the plan, I'm fine with it.

I would be fine with that too, but not ejecting her because of age prejudice. That's just a big ol' fat NO to me.  It's interesting that older people vote at a higher rate than younger ones, yet we are the ones to be written off.

1 hour ago, catlady said:

i'm trying to hold onto hope for NY's 27th district; it's not even mine (i'm in the 26th, and Brian Higgins-D is projected with 81%).  Incumbent Chris Collins is a Trump-humper who was arrested for insider trading a few months ago, but a loophole allowed him to stay on the ballot.   less than half of the precincts are in, and the NY Times site i'm looking at has been wavering between him and Nate McMurray-D for the last 15 minutes.  

i'm committing bad form by quoting myself, but McMurray conceded and Collins's interview with the media might as well have been conducted by cheeto-face; he referred to the local paper as "the fake Buffalo News" multiple times, whined about how the NBC and CBS affiliates have treated him unfairly regarding his insider trading charges, and dodged questions about his availability to the public.

2 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I would be fine with that too, but not ejecting her because of age prejudice. That's just a big ol' fat NO to me.  It's interesting that older people vote at a higher rate than younger ones, yet we are the ones to be written off.

There's a healthy cycle that I think needs to be respected. I'm old, retired from an intense profession, and I'm ok with that. It's a natural progression.

Sometimes, IMO,  we elders stand in the way of others gaining traction, especially in the workplace.

Just now, SassyPants said:

Sorry...she is from my state. I get to listen to both she and Feinstein, a lot. Sometimes it is time to move on. It happens in all profession- *see the age limits for commercial pilots. They serve us; we get to decide. Oh, an I'm just shy of social security myself.

My ex was a LEO and they had mandatory retirement as do commercial pilots. Completely different work. The rest of us feds have no mandatory retirement age. If it's "time to move on", performance should reflect that or terms limits should be put into place. It can be time for younger elected officials to move on too if they have stayed in one position for a lengthy period, if that is the actual problem.

I'm 63 and I guess we just see it differently. One can be dynamic, innovative, flexible, and mature at the same time. I don't want to be put out to pasture because of someone's arbitrary opinion about how I function based on age. I would like to see people of all ages with common goals and values work together to better this country. I'm going to leave this alone, I have strong feelings about this, and to each her own.

I feel like it is time for some new leadership within the Democratic party. Long past time actually. But strong leaders like Pelosi and Feinstein should still be respected as strong leaders within the party if that makes sense. Hopefully in the coming years the party will grow and new leaders will emerge naturally as part of the process.

8 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

There's a healthy cycle that I think needs to be respected. I'm old, retired from an intense profession, and I'm ok with that. It's a natural progression.

Sometimes, IMO,  we elders stand in the way of others gaining traction, especially in the workplace.

I'm old and not yet retired. I will be OK with it too when it happens, but it will be my choice. I feel great, why should I be forced out of my job? People are living longer and longer, and economic security in retirement is requiring more and more money. Retirement savings are abysmal for many, and are hardly enough to sustain what could be a twenty or thirty year retirement. Folks may be gaining traction later but they will be working longer also, it is indeed a natural progression and will even itself out. I refuse to look at myself or my peers as obstacles as I am still making valuable contributions. More than some of the younger folks.

I should go to bed now, it's been a stressful evening and my nerves are somewhat frazzled. I'm just glad all is not lost and I don't have to wake up and cry like I did two years ago.  Young or old, as long as they are blue I'm good. I have never been a one-party person but that's the way the game has to be played for now.

4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I'm old and not yet retired. I will be OK with it too when it happens, but it will be my choice. I feel great, why should I be forced out of my job? People are living longer and longer, and economic security in retirement is requiring more and more money. Retirement savings are abysmal for many, and are hardly enough to sustain what could be a twenty or thirty year retirement. Folks may be gaining traction later but they will be working longer also, it is indeed a natural progression and will even itself out. I refuse to look at myself or my peers as obstacles as I am still making valuable contributions. More than some of the younger folks.

I should go to bed now, it's been a stressful evening and my nerves are somewhat frazzled. I'm just glad all is not lost and I don't have to wake up and cry like I did two years ago.  Young or old, as long as they are blue I'm good. I have never been a one-party person but that's the way the game has to be played for now.

I just want to say I love you for every word of this.  Thank you.

The undereducated population in Alabama voted to repeal abortion.

Sadly, I am not surprised by the Senate, but the House is nice and winning some state and local offices across the country is good. Also, I am happy to see that Floridians voted to restore voting rights to felons and here in Delaware, Ken Simpler (state treasurer & arrogant poor little rich boy) lost to Colleen Davis, the Dems won the Auditor's office,  Scott Walker (slumlord extraordinaire) is not a our Congressman, & the number 2 R in the state senate lost his seat (Greg Lavalle).  

• Destiny unpinned this topic

Archived