IGNORED

The Midterms: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Destiny

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things are looking a bit brighter in my former state of MN. Both Tina Smith and Amy Klobuchar are expected to win reelection. 

Dean Phillips is leading incumbent republican Erik Paulsen AND they just elected the first muslim woman to the house, Democrat Ilhan Omar. 

Edited to add... Just saw that another muslim woman, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan has also been elected to the house! 

I haven't been able to watch the midterm coverage since about Saturday because of nerves. Not an easy feat in a house where Mr PPOD had been glued to MSNBC for days. We're not even American and I've still been worrying. Every time I've tried to look at a bit of news I haven't been able to concentrate at all.  

I just had a stress arguement with Mr PPOD because his first words to me when I came home just now were, "Trumpy is winning. "   Rufus H. Reindeer, can I please get in the door before you hit me with that kind of news? 

I think I might need a spot in that closet and I'll take a swig of whatever liquor is being passed around. I loathe mac and cheese  (yeah, I'm weird ) but I have a pan of cauliflower florets roasting in the oven and I was thinking of making a pie with all the apples we have, so I could bring that. 

Now that I've had a few minutes I can see that there are a few bits of good news in some of the races, so I'm going to try and focus on that and get on with a little pie making. If I'm going to eat my feelings, it may as well be something good ! 

It's looking better and better in the House. The Senate was always a long shot, but the House is looking good. 

I know I said I'm pessimistic about this, but I think my pessimism has me more optimistic right now than the people who were expecting a blue wave. All is not lost! The Democrats were always expected to lose the Senate. It's just an incredibly difficult map this year for Democrats. The Democrats are still favored to win the House, and that is definitely good news for the Democrats.

FSomeone posted on my Facebook feed that that Kentucky county clerk who denied gay marriage licenses LOST

2 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

MSNBC just called the Kansas governer’s race for the Democrat! Kansas!

Please!  Kobach has needs to go crawl in a hole

1 minute ago, clueliss said:

Someone posted on my Facebook feed that that Kentucky county clerk who denied gay marriage licenses LOST

Yes, she lost to a democrat that she denied a marriage license to. Poetic justice indeed. 

2 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

MSNBC just called the Kansas governer’s race for the Democrat! Kansas!

I feel a fast coming on in the Maxhell household...

What time do polls close in Colorado, Utah, and Montana that they can be talking about results yet? I'm in Iowa and our polls just closed at 9.

3 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

Yes, she lost to a democrat that she denied a marriage license to. Poetic justice indeed. 

Actually, the man who was denied a marriage license by her lost the primary; the winner is a different Democrat. Still very good news!

1 minute ago, Ticklish said:

What time do polls close in Colorado, Utah, and Montana that they can be talking about results yet? I'm in Iowa and our polls just closed at 9.

I saw a chart somewhere but I can't find it. A lot of states close fairly early 7-8pm. 

Just now, Rachel333 said:

Actually, the man who was denied a marriage license by her lost the primary; the winner is a different Democrat. Still very good news!

My mistake! It was all over my twitter feed that it was the same person. In any case I am glad she lost. 

Has anyone seen a Beto update lately? I had to go stab the dog and I missed it if there was one. 

Edit:  NM I just saw it.

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Has anyone seen a Beto update lately? I had to go stab the dog and I missed it if there was one. 

Cruz is ahead, 50.9 to 48.5, 79% reporting.

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Still down. I saw less precincts reporting so I deleted not to have inaccurate info posted. 

18 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Colorado elected the country's first openly gay governor so that makes me smile, at least. 

Kansas also elected Sharice Davids(D) to the House. A Native American and openly lesbian woman. 

I never thought Dems had the chance at the Senate, but I do thing they will get the House. 

Michigan flipped Democratic for governor too! 

ABC predicted Lying Ted to win. I am heartbroken. Maybe I will move to Colorado.  I believe it was all his negative ads that made the difference. 

I think Harris county in Texas still has polls open though correct'? They were one that did not open on time and were ordered to remain open later.  Harris county does include Houston. Still think it is a bit of a long shot for Beto but my fingers and toes are crossed. 

Ok, so they were kept open until 8, but still a lot of votes out. Not looking good but it isn't over quite yet. :(

Just now, Penny said:

ABC predicted Lying Ted to win. I am heartbroken. Maybe I will move to Colorado.  I believe it was all his negative ads that made the difference. 

Come on, only 16% of Houston's vote is in

• Destiny unpinned this topic

Archived