IGNORED

The Midterms: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Destiny

@SilverBeach I literally had similar words to my mom when one of the reporters on ABC was saying how Pelosi needs to be gone. I wouldn't get rid of my doctor or someone just because of their age, only if I knew they weren't able to do their job properly. Why can't the same be for Nancy? I'm even a millennial and I understand the amazing work that she's done. I want to see what the "younger" crowd does before I put all my eggs in one basket for them and will not just give them a position because we need fresh "blood". If their ideas and position of things can progress then I'm fine with that. Also, Nancy is very pragmatic and I feel like other younger ones that I've heard are catering to a certain sub-sect of people instead of the true base.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear god, I'm on tenterhooks here. NE-2 hasnt have any significant update for at least 45 mins, with 211 out of 268 precincts counted. Kara still hasn't conceded, and Bacon only has 4 points lead. Most of the uncounted precincts are in more liberal Douglas county.

dammit, I need a good update so I can sleep. Could there possibly be so many votes it's taking a long time to count? This isn't normal for midterms here. At all.

UPDATE: all of Sarpy Co portion of NE 2 has been counted. 54 more precincts to be counted in Douglas Co, a little less than 25% of all of Douglas left to be counted. He's now at 5 points lead, but I still feel a small bit of hope. It's really slim, but here's to hoping.

i know it's Nebraska and it doesn't matter, but it does to me lol. Ughhh. Sorry about Iowa, dear neighbors.

@Destiny, Steve King is being projected winner of district 4 in Iowa. We are also stuck with the heinous Kim Reynolds as our governor again. So my night has definitely ended on a sour note. 

2 minutes ago, Ticklish said:

@Destiny, Steve King is being projected winner of district 4 in Iowa. We are also stuck with the heinous Kim Reynolds as our governor again. So my night has definitely ended on a sour note. 

Yeah I hear ya.  I was hoping we could finally be rid of that fuck stick King and that Hubble would win.  And now I have no representation at all in the Iowa Legislature since Lundgren won and Bowman lost.

I am glad that Abby defeated Rod Blum and that David Young has been ousted as well. 

I woke up early to follow results live. Guess it could be worse. Hoping for dems to push the Russia investigation and I'm pretty sure Trump is not getting his dear wall anytime soon. 
Sad about Senate though. And Texas. 

Here in Michigan we are rejoicing that Snyder will be gone and recreational marijuana is legalized. We get to keep Debbie Stabenow in the Senate and Blue took the House. Only thing I'm worried about now is the local bond proposal for our school district. Our schools are in desperate need of repairs and upgrades, and if this bond doesn't pass our district lines will be redrawn which will exclude our street next year. Which would be catastrophic for my special needs child considering our current district ranks 8 and 9 on GreatSchools but the neighboring one that we'd be reassigned to ranks a 2. We can hope all goes well!

Kara Eastman has not conceded and will hold a conference in the morning, when hopefully all the votes will be in.

pretty slim here in Nebraska buuuuuut... we now have Medicaid expansion!!!! Omg small victory with a big impact in my life! 

Oregon remains blue, to the shock of absolutely no one. We keep our eh governor. I had met the Republican candidate. He isn’t a bad one, as they go. I liked him on a personal level.  He might be more effective than her at getting things done. It’s a shame it has to be the way it is. We did NOT vote to cut abortion funding or repeal some immigration rules concerning detainees. All good news up here for the most part. And we’ve inserted an interesting and fiery character on to the Portland City Council. She just referred to the mayor as “oh that guy.” That could shake some things up locally.

So the Dems have the House. That means Mueller is safe. That means all sorts of investigations into the shenanigans of this administration. That means so, so, so much! There is a lot to be extremely happy about. 100 women in the House. That's something worth celebrating. 

The first breach has been made. One step at a time, the foundation of corruption, gerrymandering, voter suppression and fear mongering can be broken down. 

Maybe it wasn't the tidal wave everyone was hoping for, but... This is a major win for democracy in America. 

:happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:

If i’m reading all the newspapers right and the comments on here, at least part of the Americans have opened there eyes to who Trump really is. My faith in humanity is a little bit restored. Thumbs up to everyone who went out to vote :)

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Also noteworthy:

That's really terrible news for democracy tho. If you get millions more votes but the minority rules  it's a very rigged and unfair system.

Just now, AmazonGrace said:

That's really terrible news for democracy tho. If you get millions more votes but the minority rules  it's a very rigged and unfair system.

The best thing for the Democrats to run on in 2020 is a message of fighting for democracy. Getting rid of the electoral college is a major step in that direction. Putting an end to gerrymandering and voter suppression should also be high on that list of priorities. No PACs or SuperPACs allowed (that's just legalized corruption if you ask me). 

I sincerely hope that running on Democracy for the People and by the People will be picked up. 

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Maybe it wasn't the tidal wave everyone was hoping for, but... This is a major win for democracy in America.

I needed your positive attitude this morning!

Good news - republicans lost the veto proof majority in the NC House. This is big since our Dem. governor has been crippled by them. 

Bad news - NC voted to change our constitution to add what is bound to be voter suppression ID laws. This will make it harder to keep changing things in the state. We had these laws before and they did suppress votes.

Good News - NC rejected a constitutional amendment that gave lawmakers the power to make up a board to decide elections. This is big because if they had gotten this NC would have been doomed. 

We got the house, which last night I went to bed thinking we probably wouldn't get, so I'll take that. 

Well, I'm feeling like it's 2016 all over again. I stayed away from all media yesterday. (I'm visiting my niece who just had a little girl last Thursday, and getting my fill of little baby snuggles!) This morning I had to check and all 4 of the candidates I supported, by donations, votes or both, LOST!

How could people vote for Rick Scott, who has done nothing FOR Florida, but has enriched himself to the tune of over $200K while governor? I think Hurricane Michael helped him; he was on TV CONSTANTLY for 3-4 days.

And Ron DeSantis? As bad as they get. Racist, sexist and corrupt.

Don't even get me started on Ted Cruz and Brian Kemp!

As I look into the face of this week-old infant, I wonder what kind of country she will be growing up in! 

Well, this is good news, many firsts "The first two Native American and Muslim congresswomen are headed to the U.S. House,..."

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/politics/Several-Firsts-Elected-Across-Country-499896831.html

Congress:  Jahana Hayes is predicted to win (55%).  She is a former teacher of the year, was a single mother, and I really hope she can make a difference.

Chris Murphy won (yes!!!! He has done a lot for us since Sandy Hook).

And for me locally, two political newcomers, both Democrats, have upset long-serving Republicans!  It is important that we take the state houses as much as the US government.

This is not the last we will see of Beto.  He was a long-shot, but the percentages were close.  You will be out one day Senator sell your soul and family to the orange devil to keep your greasy self in a job where you help no one.   

https://variety.com/2018/politics/news/beto-orourke-drops-f-bomb-on-live-tv-during-concession-speech-1203021779/

And our governor's race is still too close to call - 91% in now...

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 5.45.15 AM.png

Here in Florida, everyone I voted for lost except for a school board position in our county.  ?

I feel like I need to give another shout out to this tiny territory called Guam. Today the island, that is 98% catholic voted for the first female Governor, first openly gay Lt. Governor and voted for a super majority in the 'state' legislator that is both majority democrat AND female. There are 15 senators and 10 are now female. 

59 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

No PACs or SuperPACs allowed (that's just legalized corruption if you ask me). 

I'm in the last part of House of Trump House of Putin by Craig Unger.  Although it's against the law for foreign money to go to US campaigns, there are so many ways that Russian money, and a LOT of it, found its way into the US electoral process.  Through decades of sophisticated money laundering at an unprecedented scale, to create clean money and move it to where they want it to go is not hard. 

Don't at any time dismiss the terrifying magnitude and sophistication of Russian interference in the electoral process and the internal processes of scores of nations, like, you know, installing a puppet government in the USA -- big coup for Putin. 

However, Putin has got to be pissed that, with a Democratic majority in the House, the Magnitsky act isn't going away any time soon and the House might actually bring some movement on sanctions. 

Anyway, Rohrabacher is out;  I don't know how Nunes managed to hang on.  My Texas sweeties, Beto and MJ Hegar, both lost, but the money I donated to them is the best money I ever spent.  

I feel that Beto's campaign was really good for Texas even though he lost. I am not sure that the house seats that flipped in TX would have had he not been running and that alone is a success. 

My biggest concern now is doing what we can to ensure victory in the 2020 Presidential election. I am not sure that there will be victory in the Senate, in some ways that seems to be a tough hill to climb at the moment. But we shall see what happens. I really pray that strong leaders come forth within the Democratic party and that Democrats can keep their shit together and not turn on each other. 

I woke up at 2:30 AM to check the results of the Iowa elections.  We are stuck with the  Koch brothers minions for another four years.  Considering the damage Kimmy and her ilk did to our state in the past two years:  draconian cuts to education, gutting collective bargaining, the "heartbeat" bill, and the Medicaid disaster that is costing the state billions, and now a senate file to drastically change IPERS (iowa public worker pension), living here is going to be hard.  Sadly I'm stuck until Psy D junior graduates from high school.....

My only bit of happiness was seeing Rod Blum voted out.  But we are still stuck with the fuckstick King.

6 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah I hear ya.  I was hoping we could finally be rid of that fuck stick King and that Hubble would win.  And now I have no representation at all in the Iowa Legislature since Lundgren won and Bowman lost.

I am glad that Abby defeated Rod Blum and that David Young has been ousted as well. 

Yes to focus on the positive, Iowa did flip 2 house seats from Republican to Democrat. So that's better than nothing!

• Destiny unpinned this topic

Archived