IGNORED

Dillards 68: Jill "Can" Cook

HerNameIsBuffy

I honestly hate pushy people with food. I don't like pork, is it partly a food issue? Yeah, I'm not allergic to pork, but I have GI issues and it doesn't sit well with me. "Try just a little bit. You haven't had mine. You never know until you try it." Yeah, I do know. I've tried pork a million ways, it still gives me issues. Your pork is not magical. Dear god, leave it be.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Alachantal said:

To the bolded, I'm pretty sure that's not a Canadian thing, that's just a your relatives thing. ?‍♀️

Are you in the prairies by chance? I've been to every single province except for Newfoundland and have found the least adventurous foods to be in Sask and Manitoba (or at least the areas/places I've personally visited). 

In visiting 20 States for work (and fun) and I've never really found a difference in the food. There's some menu items in the US that I personally find attrocious and am kind of glad I don't have super easy access to where I live, but I've never noticed a real difference (excluding portion size of course lol).

I order a lot of food stuffs off of Amazon and some Eastern European sites if I can't find what I need near me, I would definitely recommend that option if it's available to you. If you've got family in the States maybe they can mail you some of the things you need - my family overseas mails me packages of things on occasion, or someone going to visit brings things back. 

Moving to Alberta and spend the most time there, Saskatchewan and BC. And oh trust me there is some NASTY ASS food in the states. Zero doubt. And in fairness, the difference really isnt between the US and canada because I have zero doubt that I would be a sad panda in at least 40 of the 50 states food wise as well. Its more a regional thing. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I am in my 50s, and I "suddenly" cannot eat gluten anymore. Why? Because I finally - after a lifetime of struggle - figured out the CAUSE of my eczema and other issues.

I can understand that, @SapphireSlytherin,  but my m-i-l had no problem that I know of with chicken, she just didn't like it or maybe it was too plebian or something.  I know for sure there was no reason that my husband couldn't eat chicken other than mummy dearest couldn't eat it all of a sudden at that age.

1 minute ago, BabyFactoryClosing said:

Moving to Alberta and spend the most time there, Saskatchewan and BC. And oh trust me there is some NASTY ASS food in the states. Zero doubt. And in fairness, the difference really isnt between the US and canada because I have zero doubt that I would be a sad panda in at least 40 of the 50 states food wise as well. Its more a regional thing. 

Fair enough.

I recently moved from (Vancouver area) BC to (Northern) Alberta, so for me being Ukrainian I can find a lot of what I need here better than I could in BC. I've definitely noticed that the seafood is kind of lacking here. It sure does not taste the same as the Coast unfortunately, and it took a while to find a good Indian place and a good Mexican place and a good Chinese, etc etc.... Vancouver definitely had a lot to offer compared to where I am now.

Definitely check out what the Mennonites and Hutterites have to offer, and see if you can order online from any shops for the spices etc that you need, especially if you're in the South of Alberta and can easily get a post box in the States. Not ideal, but might be a solution.

40 minutes ago, Skeptic said:

Please stop turning this thread hot. One of these days, someone will actually be pregnant and I’ll miss the excitement. ?

The only exciting Duggar pregnancy would be Jana ...choosing to raise the baby as a single mom and refusing to name the father to protect their privacy.

I want to apologize, because I feel as though I've taken us down a contentious road and I feel badly about it. There are plenty of instances, such as allergies, GI disagreement, sensory issues, intolerances, etc. that necessitates that people be selective about what they can and cannot eat. As a cook and a person, I would never want someone to eat something that would make them sick or uncomfortable, and I strive to do my best to accommodate people with these issues when I cook for them in my home. I have health issues I can't control, which makes me sensitive to the reality that other people have health problems they can't control, and it truly wasn't my intent to make anyone upset when I wrote my post. 

In the one specific instance with my ex-boyfriend, he used his food selectivity as a way to exercise power and control over me. I know this because he either refused to participate in making food for himself, refused alternate options, and used his distaste for my cooking to put me down. I don't think that many people do that, especially people who *want* to share a meal with other people and aren't actively out to hurt someone or make someone feel badly. 

Anyway, I'm sorry, folks. :(

2 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I want to apologize, because I feel as though I've taken us down a contentious road and I feel badly about it. There are plenty of instances, such as allergies, GI disagreement, sensory issues, intolerances, etc. that necessitates that people be selective about what they can and cannot eat. As a cook and a person, I would never want someone to eat something that would make them sick or uncomfortable, and I strive to do my best to accommodate people with these issues when I cook for them in my home. I have health issues I can't control, which makes me sensitive to the reality that other people have health problems they can't control, and it truly wasn't my intent to make anyone upset when I wrote my post. 

In the one specific instance with my ex-boyfriend, he used his food selectivity as a way to exercise power and control over me. I know this because he either refused to participate in making food for himself, refused alternate options, and used his distaste for my cooking to put me down. I don't think that many people do that, especially people who *want* to share a meal with other people and aren't actively out to hurt someone or make someone feel badly. 

Oh no, please don't apologize! I didn't take your post that way at all. What your ex did to you was truly awful and I'm so sorry you had to deal with that! 

1 hour ago, BabyFactoryClosing said:

That doesnt exist at all? Likely nothing, as is true in most of the world.

That isnt accessible except in major metropolitan areas, or is only accessible with little to no variety?

Discos, Chile rellenos, menudo, bizcochos, mennonite queso, hatch Chile, tamale ingredients, brisket, caldo de pollo seasoning, sopa de fideo, sopapillas, chorizo (note: I found one in a Latin food store that I specifically drove 4 hours for, the owners heavily recommended against it and yeah... it wasnt great), and a large variety of other foods that I can technically get something by the same name but they arent the same.

Combined with different cooking and spicing practices for common, universal foods.

It's not an insult, it's just different. My area is NOT the place to get seafood. Anyone who is used to eating seafood of any kind on a usual basis will be extremely unhappy here. Its just the logistics of distance.

Really not sure why you are trolling Canadians.  From what I can tell from what you wrote, you are not happy here because you can't find decent Latino food (based on the foods you listed that you can't find wherever you are in Canada)?  Probably a valid point as you will certainly find much better in the USA. And even better in Mexico and other places that are not Canada. 

Having said that, it's pretty fucking rude to claim that no decently flavored food can be found in an entire country.  Maybe you need to get your head out of your ass and try out some new things. You want spicy?  We have plenty of that. We are a country full of immigrants, many of whom make excellent spicy, flavourful food.   You want the taste of home? Sorry,no can do, so either go home or stay and stop being a whiny homesick child.

Eta:  In fairness I should add that I am lucky to live in one of the most diverse urban parts of Canada. I can find high quality food of just about any kind.  Some regions,especially the more rural  ones, are definitely more of a challenge for spicy food. 

Still, I agree with all of those who have said that for the most part, the food in Canada is not much different from the food in the USA. You can find good and bad everywhere.  

And I'd like to argue as someone from Saskatchewan about us having the least adventurous food. While we will never have the selection that places like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver have, our bigger cities have a huge variety of food if you know where to look. 

And smaller places still have variety, just different than what is common. We might not have ~fresh seafood~ but we have fresh bison, moose, deer, goose, etc. 

21 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Awww. hey Don't apologize! From what I have read you have nothing to apologize for, unless I completely missed something. Now if you called someone a broccoli head I'd be like yo, why. But I don't see anything that you said as bad!

20 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Really not sure why you are trolling Canadians.  From what I can tell from what you wrote, you are not happy here because you can't find decent Latino food (based on the foods you listed that you can't find wherever you are in Canada)?  Probably a valid point as you will certainly find much better in the USA. And even better in Mexico and other places that are not Canada. 

Having said that, it's pretty fucking rude to claim that no decently flavored food can be found in an entire country.  Maybe you need to get your head out of your ass and try out some new things. You want spicy?  We have plenty of that. We are a country full of immigrants, many of whom make excellent spicy, flavourful food.   You want the taste of home? Sorry,no can do, so either go home or stay and stop being a whiny homesick child.

Eta:  In fairness I should add that I am lucky to live in one of the most diverse urban parts of Canada. I can find high quality food of just about any kind.  Some regions,especially the more rural  ones, are definitely more of a challenge for spicy food. 

Still, I agree with all of those who have said that for the most part, the food in Canada is not much different from the food in the USA. You can find good and bad everywhere.  

Wow. That was harsh.

Guys, please give @BabyFactoryClosing a break. I really don't think she meant to be insulting, and nobody's going to be traumatized because she called Canadian food bland. It's really not that big of a deal. It's hard to go from a diet you're used to and enjoy to a place where the cuisine is totally different. It can take a long time to adjust, and it can be really hard at first to find sources for foods and seasonings that are going to work for you. It sounds like she's trying, so maybe give her the benefit of the doubt. I can't believe I'm hearing words like 'go home or stop being a whiny child'. That's not a very Canadian attitude.

11 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Guys, please give @BabyFactoryClosing a break. I really don't think she meant to be insulting, and nobody's going to be traumatized because she called Canadian food bland.

No one has to be happy that she generalized a whole country either. I think that's the main issue

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

No one has to be happy that she generalized a whole country either.

No, of course not. I was the first one who questioned her about that. I just don't think being cruel is necessary. 

59 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I honestly hate pushy people with food. I don't like pork, is it partly a food issue? Yeah, I'm not allergic to pork, but I have GI issues and it doesn't sit well with me. "Try just a little bit. You haven't had mine. You never know until you try it." Yeah, I do know. I've tried pork a million ways, it still gives me issues. Your pork is not magical. Dear god, leave it be.

I had to double check I didn't write this in my sleep! I do NOT like pork. I'm not allergic - I don't even really get any issues from it - other than I don't like it. And I have chosen (for at least 20 years) not to eat it. I try really hard not to make a big deal out of it. I take ribbing from my husbands family every.damn.holiday about. Yes, I still don't eat pork. No I did not suddenly convert. This is NOT NEWS people - get over it. 

But I don't make a big deal out of it. If someone invites me over for dinner - I'll politely work around it. 
Case in point: my mother - who quite honestly - should know better. Went for lunch the other day and she was so excited that she made bratwurst because my son likes them. (I'm not sure he does - but okay - whatever). I said "Oh - are they pork brats?" 
She stopped, looked at me and said "I don't know - they're BRATS." 
I said Okay - I'll assume they're pork. 

And proceeded to eat everything else that was on offer (except the baked beans because I'm sure THEY had pork in them too). (so I had a super healthy meal of potato salad, veggies and a bun) 

My point is - if it's someone who should "know better" - like my mom, or my husband - I will make a stink out of it. 
But anyone else - I just politely work around it. I don't want to try YOUR pork roast, yes, I know bacon is uber trendy right now and in everything, I know you think it's nectar from the gods, I think it's foul. Yes, even turkey bacon. No I'm not Jewish, no I'm not Muslim - I just don't eat pork. I also don't like green melon - but no one ever takes that as a personal slam. 

3 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I had to double check I didn't write this in my sleep! I do NOT like pork. I'm not allergic - I don't even really get any issues from it - other than I don't like it. And I have chosen (for at least 20 years) not to eat it. I try really hard not to make a big deal out of it. I take ribbing from my husbands family every.damn.holiday about. Yes, I still don't eat pork. No I did not suddenly convert. This is NOT NEWS people - get over it. 

But I don't make a big deal out of it. If someone invites me over for dinner - I'll politely work around it. 
Case in point: my mother - who quite honestly - should know better. Went for lunch the other day and she was so excited that she made bratwurst because my son likes them. (I'm not sure he does - but okay - whatever). I said "Oh - are they pork brats?" 
She stopped, looked at me and said "I don't know - they're BRATS." 
I said Okay - I'll assume they're pork. 

And proceeded to eat everything else that was on offer (except the baked beans because I'm sure THEY had pork in them too). (so I had a super healthy meal of potato salad, veggies and a bun) 

My point is - if it's someone who should "know better" - like my mom, or my husband - I will make a stink out of it. 
But anyone else - I just politely work around it. I don't want to try YOUR pork roast, yes, I know bacon is uber trendy right now and in everything, I know you think it's nectar from the gods, I think it's foul. Yes, even turkey bacon. No I'm not Jewish, no I'm not Muslim - I just don't eat pork. I also don't like green melon - but no one ever takes that as a personal slam. 

My dad used to jokingly ask me, "What do you mean you don't like pork?  What kind of German are you?"

I would always reply, "The American kind who hates pork."

He was from Germany and seemed to think my food preferences were some kind of genetic mutation.  :) 

35 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

I'm really sorry for bringing up this entire cluster fuck because it's gone way out of the context intended, but for the record, I would LOVE Indian or Greek or Asian food but it's not accessible here. It's not accessible because I'm in the middle of nowhere and canada is a huge country with a tiny population so rural areas mean very little food diversity. That's not an insult thats just a fact. 

What's fucking amazing to me is that when my husband moved south and was like "man I miss this food that's super culturally significant to me" myself and everyone around us bent over backwards to find it for him and learn how to make it and that was possible because we live in a metropolitan area and could find just about anything. And what's more so is literally everyone in canada that I encountered, friends, family, total stranger that saw my license plate,  was 150% cool with bashing the states about everything you can possibly imagine and it was expected that I nod and smile because hey, it's the states. 

But now that the tables have turned I cant say that I *personally* find the food to be bland without it being equivalent to pissing on the flag.

Believe me I would fucking LOVE to go home. I would sell my soul to go home. But it's my husbands turn to be home and be happy.

Sorry for offending you.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:06 PM, Glasgowghirl said:

It's a creepy teddy made from Turkey stitched together, I'll see if it uploads now.

article-2528439-1A45BB1800000578-901_634x500.jpg

What is wrong with people?! 

1 minute ago, formergothardite said:

What is wrong with people?! 

What's wrong with me that I want to put it in a onesie and hold it!

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

that I know of

There ya go. Right there. Some people don't share every.little.thing and nobody owes you an explanation for the "why" of it.

So, legit question for all you foodie Free Jingerites...I have sensory issues, (so do one of my sons and my mother-Hello, genetics!), and there are a handful of foods that I simply cannot eat. Coconut and mushrooms in any form being two of the top offenders. No, I'm not allergic. I won't die if I eat them. I will however, vomit said food up immediately, probably across the dining table, which is enjoyable for exactly no one. My throat and stomach just say, "NOT TODAY, BITCHES". My family and close friends know this about me and it's no biggie. Don't feed it to me if you don't want to be suddenly wearing surprise barf. 

BUT, when we're out at a restaurant or whatever, I just say, when I ask the server, that I'm allergic. They could give a rat's ass about my personal issues, and just want to turn the table over as quickly as possible. They don't care. I get it. They don't need or want a long explanation of why I can or cannot eat this or that. I do make a point to deliberately avoid things that might be questionable; anything with the word "tropical" in it is usually a bad idea. See also: Salisbury Steak. 

My son (the same one with the sensory issues) does have a few legit life threatening food allergies (diagnosed by a real medical professional, in a real medical hospital), and we carry an AuviQ for him everywhere we go. 

My question is, is saying I'm allergic, even when I'm actually not, simply for expediency's sake, a bad thing? I don't want to torment some poor minimum wage server with my litany of personal issues, but I don't want to be creating a larger problem long term either. No one is interested in hearing my explanation about how I could eat that, I just don't want to because it will create A SITUATION. 

Thoughts? Should I be handling this a different way? 

19 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What's wrong with me that I want to put it in a onesie and hold it!

I'm grossed out by dead animals anyway, but DO NOT get a raw chicken bear and dress it up! Just go get one of those creepy reborn  babies! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

I hope no members here do it, but if you know you have a vegan coming to eat dinner, it really isn't funny to try to trick them into eating a animal products. 

8 minutes ago, OutoftheShadows said:

Thoughts? Should I be handling this a different way? 

I'd just ask if it has whatever in it, and refuse it if it does. The problem with saying it's an actual allergy, is that suddenly the kitchen is like "OMG." they have to switch utensils, wipe everything down, change gloves, make sure there's nothing allergenic near enough to transfer, etc. It's a major big huge deal. They basically have to stop what they're doing and go into safe mode to fix a non-allergenic meal. Which they probably don't mind doing, for actual allergies. But like, I don't eat cheese, but I don't need the grill and spatula specially cleaned off and disinfected between my hamburger and the last cheeseburger that was ordered. The guy in the back making burgers doesn't need to switch gloves between making my burger and my sister's cheeseburger. I don't want tomato and onions on my burger, but I'm not going to go into anaphylaxis if the guy has touched an onion before he touched my food.

@OutoftheShadows I think saying that you're allergic is fine. You have true issues and no one wants to vomit in a restaurant. I wouldn't consider that a deception, just one thing is more acceptable and the other isn't. Says more about our society then it does you.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived