IGNORED

Jinjer 45: First a Preacher then a Seminarian

Coconut Flan

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

In all seriousness, are there any actual documented violent crimes committed against Christians for being Christian in the US? So frustrating they have a cultural imaginary of persecution when actual hate crimes are on the rise.... (not to deny violence Coptic Christians and others face in some countries).

It's apparently rare and there are far more attacks on Catholics than Protestants.

In 2013, offenders committed 105 hate crimes against Catholics and Protestants. Jews faced the most hate, with 625 incidents, followed by Muslims, with 135 incidents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/10/02/how-often-is-hate-motivated-violence-committed-against-christians-in-the-u-s/?utm_term=.7973e5dc79c2

Not to belabor the point too much, but how does one go from tweeting about people getting murdered for their religion on Saturday to then on Tuesday calling it anti-religious violence to get dunked on in Comp 101?!

Jeremy's story didn't say it was a professor who told him that, could have been a fellow student. 

But my goodness Jeremy, pull your arse together, you total bellend. You're not being prosecuted. And certainly not 3 days after a deadly attack on Jews. 

2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Jeremy's story didn't say it was a professor who told him that, could have been a fellow student. 

But my goodness Jeremy, pull your arse together, you total bellend. You're not being prosecuted. And certainly not 3 days after a deadly attack on Jews. 

If you watch the video where he starts by telling the story, he does say it was the professor. He's pretty vague about what actually happened, though, and I suspect that he has changed the story in his memory to make it a better story of "persecution."

But yeah, even if it happened exactly as he wants us to think, it's still not a "violent attack!" I don't know how he doesn't realize how inappropriate that seems just days after an actual violent attack where people were murdered because they were Jewish.

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

If you watch the video where he starts by telling the story, he does say it was the professor. He's pretty vague about what actually happened, though, and I suspect that he has changed the story in his memory to make it a better story of "persecution."

But yeah, even if it happened exactly as he wants us to think, it's still not a "violent attack!" I don't know how he doesn't realize how inappropriate that seems just days after an actual violent attack where people were murdered because they were Jewish.

Oh cheers, didn't know there was a video, just saw the tweet, and assumed it was a classmate. 

4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

you total bellend.

"Bellend" is probably in my top-three British insults. lol

1. I can't believe how time deaf he is. 

2. I tried to watch the video, got through almost 2 minutes. If his statistic about 70-80% of people leaving the church freshman year of college is true, it's probably because they didn't truly believe for years but had to fake it due to pressure from parents or community (usually parents). Most people who I know (including myself) who lost faith during college had many doubts for years but could hardly express them due to fears of being homeless. These same people often went to church and pretended to be Christian when around their families for years until they were 100% financially independent. But, the idea that their faith has been forced on them for years and they never truly believed or were able to question what didn't make sense doesn't seem to occur to these two.

3 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

christian males want to be oppressed SO bad. Like how can you be oppressed in the majority?!

Because they genuinely believe that they are not the majority anymore. They think that between the Muslims and the 'gay agenda', they are being outnumbered and will soon have no voice left in the world. The main concern with them is the Muslims, because they say Muslims have 5+ children, while Christians tend to be 2-3, which means that they'll be outnumbered at a rapid pace. 

3 hours ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

1. I can't believe how time deaf he is. 

2. I tried to watch the video, got through almost 2 minutes. If his statistic about 70-80% of people leaving the church freshman year of college is true, it's probably because they didn't truly believe for years but had to fake it due to pressure from parents or community (usually parents). Most people who I know (including myself) who lost faith during college had many doubts for years but could hardly express them due to fears of being homeless. These same people often went to church and pretended to be Christian when around their families for years until they were 100% financially independent. But, the idea that their faith has been forced on them for years and they never truly believed or were able to question what didn't make sense doesn't seem to occur to these two.

A lot of Gen X left church then and went back when they married or when they had kids--there are stats out there. I think that is common. Church doesn't fit that neatly into college life; plus a lot of students are just exercising their sudden freedom to sleep in on Sunday. Millennials don't seem to be returning in as high of numbers, but they are also statistically settling into adulthood in terms of living on their own, marrying and/or having children later, too. 

The number who do not attend church as college freshmen may be in that neighborhood. But that doesn't mean they will never do so again or that they don't hold any beliefs. 

As a high school teacher, I have to say that the vast majority of teens don't think that deeply about religion. Believe me, I taught in religious schools. They don't feel forced because they don't care. Maybe you felt that way or your friends did, but the majority of teens are not all that introspective. On top of that, the kids who were the most religious, of their own accord, in high school, often more devout than their parents, are the ones who are the least so as adults. 

On 10/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, singsingsing said:

Oh, but he can.

Jeremy is a classic example of a sheltered privileged white guy who was probably told by his mom and his grandma and his dad (who of course thinks he's a chip of the old block) since childhood that he's a genius, lapped it all up, never questioned it, makes sure everyone he meets knows he's a genius, and they just accept it because he seems convincing (a common tactic for these guys is to purposely surround themselves by people who are clearly less educated and less intelligent than they are... cough). In reality, dude's just not that bright. He's the fundie version of "I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Born on third, thinks he hit a triple.

2 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Born on third, thinks he hit a triple.

Like Trump saying his dad only gave him a million dollars. Talk about sounding out of touch.

18 hours ago, louisa05 said:

A lot of Gen X left church then and went back when they married or when they had kids--there are stats out there. I think that is common. Church doesn't fit that neatly into college life; plus a lot of students are just exercising their sudden freedom to sleep in on Sunday. Millennials don't seem to be returning in as high of numbers, but they are also statistically settling into adulthood in terms of living on their own, marrying and/or having children later, too.

This! Went to church all through my child- and teenhood. Went to college and spent Sundays on campus sleeping in (though still attended when home). Spent most of my twenties not going as a combination of working evenings and not liking our church's then-pastor. Got married in my late twenties and started going again.

There's a certain subset of not believing and finally being allowed to do so publically, but either way? Not persecution from the culture, just not caring or being motivated or able to go at that point.

13 minutes ago, PurpleCats said:

Please tell me someone else saw his weird Instagram post today about reflection? 

I looked it up just now. You're right, it's weird.

I won't even comment on the oppression tweet because that is so profoundly cruel and hurtful as a Jew. It is beyond tone deaf.

So, I will instead comment on the Teepee post.

November is Native American Heritage Month and I am wondering if this is intended to be a tribute. If it is, it is also tone deaf because it distills hundreds of different cultures and identities into a single, stereotypical object. However, I don't think it is for NAHM, I think he just posted it, which is even weirder.

The teepee has six poles, so it stands to reason that it’s a coded message about Fel having six fingers on one hand. Only possible explanation. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Rachel333 said:

Uh, maybe not the time to talk about "violent attacks" on Christians. Especially if the event he mentions (which I'm skeptical about actually happening the way he tells it) is supposed to be an example of a "violent attack."

The hubris of college students and a "violent attack" are not the same thing, Jeremy

Maybe he should have paid more attention in English class instead of getting all butt hurt. Clearly he needed to since he still doesn't know what 'violent' means.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived