IGNORED

Jinjer 45: First a Preacher then a Seminarian

Coconut Flan

19 minutes ago, NoKidsAndCounting said:

Oh, Lort! ?  I can just imagine Jinger and Jeremy watching Spartacus.  They would need an exorcism after watching!

I used to work with a woman who tried watching True Blood because myself and several others in the office did and she pulled me aside privately and said she tried to watch so she could talk about it with us but it was "just way too erotic!"

Pearls effectively clutched. :pb_lol: 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremy's "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of Her" caption on his most recent Instagram post makes me want to think it's poking at discussions here (from several threads ago) when we were all talking about how little he looked at Jinger. Likely just a coincidence though.

I'm obsessed with Haunting of Hill House. I'm halfway through and I love it. The 1999 version "The Haunting" is one of my favorite terrible movies ever, and I just made a few friends watch it with me on my birthday this year, so timing is great. Hopefully I can get Mr. Knees to sit through another episode or two with me tonight. The Bent Neck Lady character and episode are reaaaaally hard to shake.

No way would it be fundie approved. There's way too much casual tolerance in it.

38 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

Jeremy's "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of Her" caption on his most recent Instagram post makes me want to think it's poking at discussions here (from several threads ago) when we were all talking about how little he looked at Jinger. Likely just a coincidence though.

I kind of like this picture, with my own misinterpretation. Jeremy only has eyes for Jinger, and Jinger is saying, "Ooh, who's the babe over there?"

1 minute ago, Audrey2 said:

I kind of like this picture, with my own misinterpretation. Jeremy only has eyes for Jinger, and Jinger is saying, "Ooh, who's the babe over there?"

Nah - she's looking at a sleek Italian sportscar. lol

Does anyone on FJ reallllllllllly think that Casa Vuolo has any of the same rules beyond the obvious Jesus and Lord speak, that cover TTH?

I think The Crown is the most normal, well-made, not even remotely Christian, adult viewing thing of the modern day any of them have copped to.

Does it mean anything? Oh probably not. But, way better than weepy post abortion movie shots.

And perhaps the most interesting Duggar tidbit in a few weeks. The well is running very dry right now.

I don't have any grandchildren,I hope to,someday.

I want to be called "Oma" because of my German heritage.That's what I called both of my grandmothers.My father's mother who was American asked my mother what the German word was for Grandma,because she did not want to be called Grandmother,Grandma,etc.If I do have a grandchild,he or she may pick something else.

My brother has two grands.A granddaughter and more recently,a grandson.HIs granddaughter,who is 4,calls him "Grandpa".

@SassyPants, no, I think Jeremy is influenced by his parents and lead pastor, not by Jim Bob. I for one, think Derrick Dillard was raised thoroughly fundie and that Dan and Deanna Dillard are some shade of fundie. Derrick was raised "wordly"  fundie, not sheltered fundie. He watched Star Wars, a thoroughly normal not at all Jesusy movie. He went to a state college, not a Christian college. Dan and Deanna are amiable fundies, not abrasive fundies. 

If J &J were to watch the classic film of Spartacus with Kirk Douglas, what would they make of this scene between Laurence Olivier and Tony Curtis?

Billy Graham does show up in The Crown, so that’s something. Just wait until Tony Armstrong-Jones is having a three-way with the Frys! NIKE!!

I wonder if it makes Jinger feel slighted education wise considering everyone in public schools/non secular homeschooling probably already learnee about most of the history behind that and she likely didn't. 

I love The Crown and Victoria. I was just thinking about them today. We are wrapping up Shameless and will need something new to watch. Can you imagine the Duggars watching Shameless? ?

If Jinger were thinking critically she might identify with the Queen’s initial quests to gain knowledge when she realized she was lacking.

You think?

No.

36 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

If Jinger were thinking critically she might identify with the Queen’s initial quests to gain knowledge when she realized she was lacking.

You think?

No.

My first thought as well.  There is an entire episode that deals with Elizabeth's realization about her crappy education.

My first thought of Jinger and Jeremy watching The Crown was, while I can see them being into it, there is the theme of the Queen being the head of the family and state and being tied to the entity/institution of the crown yada yada yada and how Phillip struggles with that. Seems very unfundie. At least to me anyway. Because Elizabeth is The Queen. She is a woman who ranks higher than her husband. I didn't even think about the episode where she realizes she's lacking in education.

Like I said, I can see them being into it but I am mildly surprised, because while Christianity is definitely in that show, it's not the type of Christianity they are all about, obviously. I wonder how much Jinger knows about the history of the Queen or the royal family or Britain or British history in general. Let alone everything in WWII or any of the other historical events and historical figures seen and mentioned. 

16 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I have it too and I'm really self conscious about it so I haven't been wearing my hair pulled back, in an attempt to hide my bald temples. 

16 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I never EVER pull my hair back because I don't want it to show. ?

16 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

I’m the exact same! It’s just my natural hairline. I don’t wear my hair up without bits down at the front to cover it.

I just wanted to tell you all that I wouldn't have noticed her hair had someone not said anything and I'm sure I wouldn't notice yours either :) I promise you all are too hard on yourselves!

13 hours ago, viii said:

I need to get back into The Crown. I love the royals, but stalled out in the second episode of season 2. 

For me the second season was very trying. For all the good parts Anthony Armstrong-Jones and Margaret's wedding and just Margaret in general, Tommy (who really should be in every episode because he snarks are awesome) and the Queen herself.   I spent most of it wishing someone would someone would shut Philip up. I understand it was a completely different period and how hard it would be then to be a man having accept his wife in charge of everything. But my God, the never ending whining. He complains, he whines and he blames Elizabeth for everything. Even though he knew from the beginning she'd be Queen and she's not exactly thrilled about it either. She acts like a grown up and does her job. Other then that he doesn't really do anything  except run off with his friends to clubs and stuff. There are things he could do, he could find areas to help or support. Nope, he won't do it. One point he rants that he's outranked by his eight year old son and I know I'm suppose to feel sorry for him or think that sucks but all it did was making me think 'Well, that sound right the way he behaves he should be behind an eight year old. Sorry to rant.   

8 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I love The Crown and Victoria. I was just thinking about them today. We are wrapping up Shameless and will need something new to watch. Can you imagine the Duggars watching Shameless? ?

Victoria really grew on me in the second season. I still get annoyed by some of the big changes like Victoria in love with Melbourne (even though he was played by a very hot actor who was very fun to look at) or changing who Albert's father is (which is just weird and seems really unnecessary). But I enjoyed the rest of it and really like the actress who plays Victoria.  

On a different note, I saw this argument about racism and that social justice statement, including this tweet which Jeremy liked.

Tom Buck (a white pastor who is very open on his twitter about how much he opposes any kind of social justice, particularly LGBT rights) is upset that someone said it's possible some of the signers might be racist and thinks it's "slander" just to say it's possible some signers are racist. How does someone get that upset about such a mild statement? I'll go further: I think most of the signers are almost definitely racist. One of the most recent articles on that site is one decrying the concept of white privilege: https://statementonsocialjustice.com/articles/white-privilege/

One thing the signers keep pushing in response to those calling out racism is that some of the signers are black. I find that a bizarre argument. Some signers are black so that means it's offensive to say that it's even possible that any signers are racist?

Here's another article (shared by Tom Buck) about the statement where the author not only complains about "women preachers" (complete with scare quotes) but whines about people calling them racist. The scaremongering about women would almost be funny if it weren't so serious. This guy is actually upset about 1/11 Protestant pastors being women!

The category of “women preachers” has drastically risen in recent days and while some celebrate this trend—others are very concerned. How did we arrive at this juncture? Why are more women pursuing the pulpit and why are more Christian leaders promoting this movement? While we can’t be certain about the motives of certain leaders who seem very complicit in this uptick in women preachers, we can be certain that there is reason for concern.

In 2017 Barna Research Group pointed out that there was a rise in the number of women pastors. According to their study, “One of every 11 Protestant pastors is a woman—triple as many as 25 years ago.”

He complains about the "slander" of being called out on racism but is absolutely nasty to Beth Moore and says this about women:

What I’m not suggesting is that women who have been mistreated or abused should remain silent. What I am suggesting is that this social justice agenda is now claiming that we must not only admit wrong in the past by how we have mistreated, discriminated against, oppressed, and held back women from serving in the life of the church—but now we must empower them.

Ooh, scary!

And what is the point of singling out this comment?

Now, if you read the comments, you would find a lady (inesmcbryde) who responded with these words:

sooooo jealous that you get to hear her! she was the first woman preacher i ever heard in the USA when i was in college. made my preacher heart awaken! love mama beth. 

If God had a plan from the beginning that was spelled out in the Garden of Eden and rooted in creation why must we suddenly change directions now? If the early church recognized God’s intent in the differing roles and responsibilities of women as revealed in the sufficient Word of God—why now are we suddenly hearing a consistent drum beat of empowerment within the social justice conversation?

I also don't think he knows as much about the early church as he thinks he does. Women played a bigger part in the early church than a lot of Christians realize and the Bible even names multiple women, like Junia and Priscilla, who served in similar roles to women pastors.

I only watched the beginning of The Crown, but I'd be curious as to how accurate JinJer's understanding of the history of the King James Bible is these days. Jim Bob's God awful lesson on it showed when they were in the UK on 19kac is something I haven't forgotten.

6 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Victoria really grew on me in the second season. I still get annoyed by some of the big changes like Victoria in love with Melbourne (even though he was played by a very hot actor who was very fun to look at) or changing who Albert's father is (which is just weird and seems really unnecessary). But I enjoyed the rest of it and really like the actress who plays Victoria.  

I hard-core crushed on Lord M! He is crazy hot.

I'd watch pretty much anything with Matt Smith in it............

And yes, that includes Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (was really awful, not a patch on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) ;) 

8 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

And yes, that includes Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (was really awful, not a patch on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) ;) 

Even with Matt Smith, I just couldn't make myself watch more than a few minutes of that movie. 

30 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was glorious. I'll never forget seeing that trailer for the first time when I went to see 21 Jump Street in theaters. Myself and everyone in the audience laughed our asses off. 

Back to Jinger and TV, if I were her I'd be resentful as hell that I never got to watch TV growing up. I'm curious  what else Jeremy allows her to watch. 

The Crown has mostly been pretty accurate. They did a decent job of suggesting that Elizabeth and especially Philip may not always have been faithful without committing themselves to specifics. But I was furious that they claimed that Philip’s father blamed him for the death of his sister and her family, which wasn’t remotely true.

Victoria mostly does okay by its central characters, but if they have to have the “Upstairs Downstairs” thing going on, for god’s sake make up some names. The cook and the maid were real people who did not have a romance. (Also, Victoria had a huge staff, so they probably didn’t even eat meals together.) 

Even more ludicrous is the notion that Prince Ernst and the Duchess of Sutherland were having a fling in 1840. She was a mother of six (plus two had died) and was a very respectable person. She was also a dozen years older than Ernst.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived