IGNORED

Jinjer 45: First a Preacher then a Seminarian

Coconut Flan

20 hours ago, melon said:

I don't have any grandchildren,I hope to,someday.

I want to be called "Oma" because of my German heritage.That's what I called both of my grandmothers.My father's mother who was American asked my mother what the German word was for Grandma,because she did not want to be called Grandmother,Grandma,etc.If I do have a grandchild,he or she may pick something else.

My brother has two grands.A granddaughter and more recently,a grandson.HIs granddaughter,who is 4,calls him "Grandpa".

My grandparents were Oma and Opa. My parents were Oma and Opa to my son. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

48 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Back to Jinger and TV, if I were her I'd be resentful as hell that I never got to watch TV growing up. I'm curious  what else Jeremy allows her to watch. 

Ugh. I can't ever get past how awful it is that for someone that age it's not completely up to her what she watches. The only time another person should have a say is if they're in the room with you (and then it should only be put on headphones, unless you're watching together). Seriously, she's an adult, she's a mom, she should be able to decide what she should and shouldn't watch herself based on her own convictions and opinions of what's good tv.

13 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

Seriously, she's an adult, she's a mom, she should be able to decide what she should and shouldn't watch herself based on her own convictions and opinions of what's good tv.

Maybe she does decide for herself? For all we know, Jeremy "lets" her do anything she wants.

Jinger is Jeremy's paper doll. I doubt she makes any decision without including him in some way shape or form. 

I'm sure she has less freedom to disagree with Jeremy than a woman in a "normal" hetero relationship would, but we can't honestly say whether he gives PERMISSION for what she can or can't watch. Or whether that's something she wants or not. That said, I'm sure his stamp of approval must go on any of her interests, at least the ones she's public about it. It's a fine line but that's different from "permission."

All speculation, of course.

Rufus Sewell played Lord Melbourne. I always have time for him on my screen. Any bits of A Knight’s Tale where he *and* Heath Ledger are in the shot together are, frankly, my visual happy place. So defrauding. 

On 10/24/2018 at 6:34 AM, Rachel333 said:

On a different note, I saw this argument about racism and that social justice statement, including this tweet which Jeremy liked.

Tom Buck (a white pastor who is very open on his twitter about how much he opposes any kind of social justice, particularly LGBT rights) is upset that someone said it's possible some of the signers might be racist and thinks it's "slander" just to say it's possible some signers are racist. How does someone get that upset about such a mild statement? I'll go further: I think most of the signers are almost definitely racist. One of the most recent articles on that site is one decrying the concept of white privilege: https://statementonsocialjustice.com/articles/white-privilege/

I just can't get over the concept of pushing back against social justice AND giving no fucks about publicly admitting it.  I grew up in a white privileged bubble for sure - a small (less than 5,000 people), wealthy town in New Jersey that's about 95% white where 90%+ of people go away to 4 year universities. I've loved getting to live in a few different places and travel around the country and world to learn as much as I can about other cultures, traditions, and people.

Trump running and becoming president and the increase in hateful/racist rhetoric being on display so publicly has  been a huge eye opener for me. I wasn't naive enough to believe that there weren't still race struggles in our country or that things were just so great for everyone. However, I had NO idea just HOW popular a person like Trump would be and how strong his base is. I continually find myself shocked at the things people are getting away with doing and saying and am so sad how many people feel the way they do.

I know not all Christians feel negatively towards social justice, and I also know there are many flaws in fundamentalist Judaism as well, but one of the things I've loved about my involvement in my Jewish communities has been the focus on spreading and improving social justice. I've loved the ways I've gotten involved in activism, tzedakah (philanthropy/charity), and the concept of doing mitzvahs (good deeds). College provided so many easy ways to get involved, and I feel like I need make it a priority in my adult life to keep spreading social justice in my community.

@front hugs > duggs,  I should not have been checking my sister's FB, but recently she posted something in favor of requiring a photo ID to vote.  I pointed out (or tried to) that the real problem is widespread voter suppression, particularly of those voters of color.  I mentioned the shit that going on in Georgia  where the Secretary of State is also the GOP's gubernatorial candidate and how he was doing his damnedest to make sure that black people had a hard time voting.  Nobody had a problem with that.  I unfriended my sister on FB and wonder if we weren't related if we'd be "friends". I think not.  I did notice that neither of my brothers ever like anything she posts.  I could have not unfriended her, of course, but I did not need the temptation of ever reading her posts.  We were not raised to just not give a shit about the voting rights of thousands of people of color. 

10 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I unfriended my sister on FB and wonder if we weren't related if we'd be "friends".

I wish more people had the courage to stand up to their families.

How the fuck can any fair-minded person be against social justice? I'm not Catholic, but I do think they got this right. That asshole Jeremy needs to read "The Hole in Your Gospel" (may not be exactly right, I'm too lazy to check the bookshelf). It lays out the case for social justice and caring for others as essential components of the gospel. Sometime I wonder how I can share a religion with those who are so reprehensible to me.

17 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I wish more people had the courage to stand up to their families.

My cousin changed his FB cover photo to the Confederate flag and started posting "veiled" racist comments.

His dad and my dad are brothers; their brother (the youngest) is married to a Black woman and has biracial children (our mutual cousins). He claims to love them. And yet, he is screaming "Southern Pride" and "Heritage not Hate" so... unfriended and blocked.

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@front hugs > duggs,  I should not have been checking my sister's FB, but recently she posted something in favor of requiring a photo ID to vote.  I pointed out (or tried to) that the real problem is widespread voter suppression, particularly of those voters of color.  I mentioned the shit that going on in Georgia  where the Secretary of State is also the GOP's gubernatorial candidate and how he was doing his damnedest to make sure that black people had a hard time voting.  Nobody had a problem with that.  I unfriended my sister on FB and wonder if we weren't related if we'd be "friends". I think not.  I did notice that neither of my brothers ever like anything she posts.  I could have not unfriended her, of course, but I did not need the temptation of ever reading her posts.  We were not raised to just not give a shit about the voting rights of thousands of people of color. 

I wasn’t aware you could even vote without a photo ID. In my country you definitely need to show your ID- but everyone has one. It is mandatory so you  wouldn’t have problems getting one. And we vote sundays when all shops and most workplaces are closed anyway (apart from restaurants and stuff of course) so most people definitely have the time. Sadly many don’t make use of their right to vote (and I actually think it is your duty too). I am planning for years to volunteer as election worker- hopefully I come around next year. Would be cool if schools would organise this for older pupils to instil the importance of doing something for democracy itself. Maybe that would help with young people not caring about politics.

Honest question: did you just unfriend your sister on FB or did you talk to her about it? I imagine it must be very difficult to address this with family. I mean, how do you react if she just doesn’t care? Cut contact? Live with unpleasant family dinners? I know I am more one to shy away from this confrontation but rather make it obvious I have a different opinion but just avoid the topic. It is easier with friends but we are mostly on the same base and our political arguments never get really ugly (I guess we wouldn’t be friends if we would be so fundamentally different).

The whole friend/unfriended on SocialMedia topic is a bit complicated to me as I see the online presence still as way less important than the offline presence. So I don’t give a damn if someone unfriended, supports something with a quick retweet or doesn’t react online to birthdays or whatever as I value what people do offline. But I am known to be rather old fashioned in that regard and maybe those two a more mutually important in the future.

Let her watch Game of Thrones next. Given her lack of education, you could probably convince her that it's historically accurate. Mankind living alonside dinosaurs! (dragons, whatever)

@just_ordinary, I didn't talk to my sister in person about it since I rarely see her.  The day I did unfriend her though was the day when she got good news from Duke about her brain cancer.  She's not cured,  but her tumor has shrunk considerably and the dose of Avastin was reduced.  She's coming up on two years survivorship. 

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Let her watch Game of Thrones next. Given her lack of education, you could probably convince her that it's historically accurate. Mankind living alonside dinosaurs! (dragons, whatever)

One comment about the Old GodS and she's stop watching so quickly. :pb_lol: 

While scrolling through Jill’s Instagram pics I noticed that Jinger hasn’t liked any of her photos for over a month.  However, Jill likes all of Jinger’s photos and often comments as well.  Anyone have any thoughts as to why Jinger is giving Jill the cold shoulder on social media?  

3 hours ago, Informedresistance said:

While scrolling through Jill’s Instagram pics I noticed that Jinger hasn’t liked any of her photos for over a month.  However, Jill likes all of Jinger’s photos and often comments as well.  Anyone have any thoughts as to why Jinger is giving Jill the cold shoulder on social media?  

Because she has a newborn, and it's hard to type comments mid-breastfeed? Or she hates Jill and wants her to die. Got to be one of those two options! ?

Completely OT, but I got this as a book recommendation when I turned on my Kindle the other night.

I was half asleep but groggily wondering why are Jinger and Jeremy on my Kindle?  It took me a while to find the book again on Amazon’s page since I didn't buy it.  

What do you think?  Did someone doctor a  JinJer photo for the cover?  Anyway, looking at the cover with snark in my heart, don't you think a billionaire would have a tuxedo that fits or at least is pressed?

B428D03E-14A2-44BC-AC23-CBF8BD78A9F5.thumb.jpeg.05f619e0303f0e3d212ecf09cb611184.jpeg

E77A1415-74BA-41FF-9F6A-AFF0CB832BF2.jpeg

When I was a kid, my grandma found tinker toys that were child size at a thrift store. The longest pole thing was maybe 4 feet. They were exactly like the little tinker toys but giant size. They were so big  we could make microphone stands so we could sing madonna songs. I was in a Material Girl phase.  We would build structures and throw blankets over them so we could pretend we were camping. They were amazing. I wish I remembered what they were called. 

I dont think Jinger has any say in what to watch and how to live in general. Jeremy seems to have total control. And I do think Jinger likes it that way and doesn't think anything (positive or negative) of new tv shows, museums (remember they went to the Getty in  LA?), travels a. s. o. She is just going along with almost anything and might think she is safe along as her new headship has control.

I'm probably alone with this but I really think Jinger has lost all of her decision making skills if there were ever any.

I think Jinger has less choice than many of us would be comfortable with, but it’s probably still more than she ever got growing up. Yes, Jeremy sees himself as the head of his family and making all the major choices; and he is happy that Jinger is meek and easygoing.

But, it also seems that he cares that she is happy, and he has his hands full with his “ministry” and studies. I will point out that it is logistically difficult to micromanage someone, and that having one’s life managed to the micron does not make even a passive person happy.

So, I think Jeremy has probably set out some general rules and shared his ideology with her, but doesn’t care enough to say “only watch X, Y, and Z.” He probably had a talk with her about “I think these types of themes/ideas in shows are bad,” so she won’t be watching The Fosters or political documentaries anytime soon. Fiction is probably pretty open to her as long as it doesn’t insult Christianity or contain gay people.

2 hours ago, lawlifelgbt said:

I think Jinger has less choice than many of us would be comfortable with, but it’s probably still more than she ever got growing up. Yes, Jeremy sees himself as the head of his family and making all the major choices; and he is happy that Jinger is meek and easygoing.

But, it also seems that he cares that she is happy, and he has his hands full with his “ministry” and studies. I will point out that it is logistically difficult to micromanage someone, and that having one’s life managed to the micron does not make even a passive person happy.

So, I think Jeremy has probably set out some general rules and shared his ideology with her, but doesn’t care enough to say “only watch X, Y, and Z.” He probably had a talk with her about “I think these types of themes/ideas in shows are bad,” so she won’t be watching The Fosters or political documentaries anytime soon. Fiction is probably pretty open to her as long as it doesn’t insult Christianity or contain gay people.

IDK...I think Jeremy might introduce ideas and acceptable behaviors from a more positive approach. For example, he might have spoken about why the Crown was NOT a bad series to watch, or why jeans might be more appropriate while horseback riding. Dereck, OTOH, would totally approach ideas using the fire, brimstone and shaming method. 

Both men have equally revolting and obnoxious beliefs, one just comes in a more nicely wrapped package.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived