IGNORED

Jinjer 45: First a Preacher then a Seminarian

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Smeloise said:

@socalrules Could they have been Omagles?

No. They are somewhat like that but that’s not them.  This makes we want to go looking in those stores that have all the old school toys. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/26/2018 at 11:03 AM, PennySycamore said:

@just_ordinary, I didn't talk to my sister in person about it since I rarely see her.  The day I did unfriend her though was the day when she got good news from Duke about her brain cancer.  She's not cured,  but her tumor has shrunk considerably and the dose of Avastin was reduced.  She's coming up on two years survivorship. 

That is great news about your sister's health. 

I agree that Jinger has outsourced her decision making. I think that was part of her transformation as a teenager and acceptance of the cult. I agree it's hard for Jeremy to micro manage but I don't think Jinger would do anything without asking him what she should do first. She might buy a coffee mug but she'd keep the receipt, ask him if he liked it, and take it back if he didn't. This might be the thing he loves most about her. I also agree that Jeremy does seem to want to make her happy but most of the things she likes are easy to encourage (e.g. coffee, fashion, etc.) and I don't think it takes much to nudge her away from anything that he might remotely disagree with. She is a total pleaser.

It seems like how Jeremy exerts his headship status might be a little bit different from Jim Bob. It seems like Jeremy might be more about influence whereas Jim Bob is more about rules. At the end of the day, there is gender inequality in both relationships. However it seems like Jeremy might exert more of a soft type of control, like through praise, shame, suggestion and judgement. Jim Bob seems more likely to say "Michelle, I prayed about it and I don't want you doing X". (Not to say that Jim Bob doesn't also use praise and shame, but I think he's more likely he put his foot down overtly). Jeremy might say "I think so-and-so does such a great job of being a role model for women and you could learn so much from her".

Somehow it seems unlikely to me that Jeremy says, "when I get home today I'd better not find out you watched that show again" so much as "I really admire when you stay away from ungodly influences, you're such a great Christian wife, but do you think that show really fits with the intention you set for yourself? Of course it's up to you but I just want to help you out." Jeremy strikes me as manipulative and probably loves that Jinger is "meek" and a people pleaser.

I think Jinger probably has a bit more wiggle room and choice than Michelle and a greater possibility of finessing Jeremy around to her way of thinking if she really wants something. Jeremy seems less legalistic than Jim Bob and less overtly confrontational but more manipulative. Ultimately it boils down to the same thing however, in that the men have the power in the relationship. I wonder if it's a different type of tactic used by different generations.

Well Jinger, it’s probably easy to find her hands now that they aren’t constantly shoved into mittens. :pb_lol:

(Disclaimer: before anyone jumps on me, this is 100% joke and is in no way to be taken seriously. I have no actual opinion on their use of mittens with Felicity.)

(Also, lets skip over the part where everyone starts fighting about mittens on babies again. We all know the way the conversation will go already, so let’s just not have it and say we did. Ok? Ok. :pb_lol:)

5 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

Jim Bob seems more likely to say "Michelle, I prayed about it and I don't want you doing X". (Not to say that Jim Bob doesn't also use praise and shame, but I think he's more likely he put his foot down overtly).

I know this is a common sentiment but it always surprises me.

From the start I've always felt Michelle wears the pants in every way but literally.  I see the rules are stemming from Michelle and she gets to keep sweet using JB as her muscle.  Headship in name only.

No way to know, but their dynamic reads very much JB doing her bidding to placate her.

I definitely wonder if JinJer has made it through Season 2 of the Crown.  As others have pointed out, there are some seriously steamy scenes with Tony.   I think I would think they would be awkward to watch with another couple, so I can't imagine JinJer and friends watching together.   

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I totally adore that little smocked dress. :)

I wore them as an infant and child. My mom made some of them. She could sew everything! 

Just adding to the Grandparents chat. We called my maternal Grandfather Bampy & my kids call my Dad the same. We’re from the Cotswolds & I know very few people who use the same name for their Grandfather. 

35 minutes ago, Plum78 said:

Just adding to the Grandparents chat. We called my maternal Grandfather Bampy & my kids call my Dad the same. We’re from the Cotswolds & I know very few people who use the same name for their Grandfather. 

My mother called her grandfather "Bompy"  - Bampy is as close as I've ever seen to what she called him!

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Well Jinger, it’s probably easy to find her hands now that they aren’t constantly shoved into mittens. :pb_lol:

(Disclaimer: before anyone jumps on me, this is 100% joke and is in no way to be taken seriously. I have no actual opinion on their use of mittens with Felicity.)

(Also, lets skip over the part where everyone starts fighting about mittens on babies again. We all know the way the conversation will go already, so let’s just not have it and say we did. Ok? Ok. :pb_lol:)

Those are some big eyes on that baby. She’s super cute. She’ll make some creepy fundie man a great helpmeet some day ... :pb_rollseyes:

I see pictures of Jinger in a dress showing her knees or pants and wonder what M and JB think about that?   

But I bet she covers those knees up when they are around!   

As for what she watches on TV?   Well, there is no way to know what she watches when her headship is not there.   

Do we know if any of the other married kidlets have TVs ?

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I know this is a common sentiment but it always surprises me.

From the start I've always felt Michelle wears the pants in every way but literally.  I see the rules are stemming from Michelle and she gets to keep sweet using JB as her muscle.  Headship in name only.

No way to know, but their dynamic reads very much JB doing her bidding to placate her.

I believed after watching a couple early episodes that Michelle was either equal or she was in charged. She wasn't actually doing any of the work or parenting. Her daughters were but she wasn't. Michelle doesn't do anything she doesn't want to do.  

13 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My mother called her grandfather "Bompy"  - Bampy is as close as I've ever seen to what she called him!

I called my grandparent Bomma and Bompa, it is Flemish originating from the French Bon-papa

Uh, maybe not the time to talk about "violent attacks" on Christians. Especially if the event he mentions (which I'm skeptical about actually happening the way he tells it) is supposed to be an example of a "violent attack."

12 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Uh, maybe not the time to talk about "violent attacks" on Christians. Especially if the event he mentions (which I'm skeptical about actually happening the way he tells it) is supposed to be an example of a "violent attack."

:pb_rollseyes: :pb_rollseyes: :pb_rollseyes:

Anyone know the address of this asshole’s church? I strained my eyes rolling them so hard at this and I have a medical bill he’s responsible for. 

16 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

He can't possibly be that tone deaf?

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

He can't possibly be that tone deaf?

Oh, but he can.

Jeremy is a classic example of a sheltered privileged white guy who was probably told by his mom and his grandma and his dad (who of course thinks he's a chip of the old block) since childhood that he's a genius, lapped it all up, never questioned it, makes sure everyone he meets knows he's a genius, and they just accept it because he seems convincing (a common tactic for these guys is to purposely surround themselves by people who are clearly less educated and less intelligent than they are... cough). In reality, dude's just not that bright. He's the fundie version of "I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

On 10/29/2018 at 12:36 PM, VelociRapture said:

And no sixth finger!! ;)

Umm no. I can almost guarantee that didn’t happen. In fact even at a secular college in the United States you would be more likely to attract attention if you were agnostic or atheist. 

Skeptism is not violence. Asking for proof of claims is not violence. Asking someone to critically examine their faith is not wrong. 

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

I don't even believe that half of this shit happens. I have been in undergraduate and graduate classes at a small liberal arts college that was only nominally affiliated with a mainline Protestant church and two public universities. I only heard two remarks in regard to Christianity that could come close to being considered offensive. Here they are for your perusal (and I remember both because hardcore evangelical classmates got offended): 

1. Philosophy class the week of the Grammies: Professor mused that he didn't really understand all of the terribly mediocre musicians who got up at awards shows and thanked Jesus for their talent because he always assumed that as part of the omnipotent triune godhead, Jesus would know more than two chords. 

2. Basic 100 level biology course: Professor told an evangelical interrupting a lecture on origins of life that he was free to believe whatever he wanted but the scientific theories in the lecture would be on the midterm, not anyone's personal beliefs. 

I truly don't believe that professors are spending every day denigrating poor "Christian" students. I also think that if something is said it is probably often provoked, like my second example above. So the question then is, what stupid dumbfuck thing did Jeremy say to elicit that response, if it even occurred? What was the context? 

In all seriousness, are there any actual documented violent crimes committed against Christians for being Christian in the US? So frustrating they have a cultural imaginary of persecution when actual hate crimes are on the rise.... (not to deny violence Coptic Christians and others face in some countries).

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived