IGNORED

Seewalds 36: Waiting for the Next Cute Kid Video or Photo

Coconut Flan

Nah, that definitely sounds like Jessa's writing. 

Henry's sacked out on the sofa in the background. lol

I think this video and these words are some supershade thrown at Jill. imo

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I'm wondering if Ben wrote that...some of those words do not seem particularly Duggaresque.

Now, see, I think that Jessa may actually have learned from Ben in a way that JIll will not have learned from DeWreck.

While a tad stilted, her words did strike a memory in me of trying not to chortle at my kids' behavior when I didn't want them to do something. Little shits were always cute and imaginative like the Spurge.

13 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Sounds true .. she definitely reads here

My daughter was walking around saying “Jesus! Jesus!” the other day. I guess she listens and hears me more than I thought. I guess I’ll have to be careful around her. 

12 minutes ago, Fundielandobserver said:

Sounds true .. she definitely reads here

I somehow seriously doubt Jessa reads Free Jinger and uses it for inspiration to throw shade at Jill.

Spurgeon is so cute and I think that it is Jessa's writing. It may sound a bit like Ben because she spends so much time with him that she is picking up the way that he talks. I know that when I spend time with certain friends, I tend to pick up on the way that they talk and use slang, I may not normally. Or maybe Ben looked it over and made some tweaks; it's hard to say.

Well, Jessa and Ben, if he's tweaking her writing, should learn the definition and better use of the word exacerbate. 

Exacerbate.  Transitive verb:  to make more violent, bitter, or severe.

Jessa, it would be better to say that you don't want to exacerbate unwanted or problem behavior by your child.   Unless you consider him to be violent, bitter, and severe.

Saying cheese was cute and playful.  It was hardly bad behavior unless you expect instant obedience.  I'm glad Jessa doesn't seem to expect that.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I didn’t see throwing shade at Jill, just trying to balance the adorable video and trying to preemptively address the onslaught of negative comments she might get because her kid wasn’t doing what she wanted. Also maybe trying to broaden the outlook of mom’s who were raised as she was. She’s incredibly good at social media. 

On 11/12/2018 at 1:52 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Like my daughter and many other girls were altar servers back when girls weren't technically allowed to do so.  I have no idea if thats been officially changed

I was at the cathedral in Joliet this past Sunday and there were indeed girl altar servers. The bishop of the Joliet archdiocese presided over the service, so I'm guessing it is officially OK now.

I was good until she said she wanted them to "choose to be sweet". Because keeping sweet was such an integral part of all their shows/books/etc that word raised my hackles just a bit. Kind and polite would've made me a little less edgy but that's me and I don't necessarily blame Jessa for using a term that's been drilled into her head her whole life.

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

the cathedral in Joliet

If this is the church I'm thinking of, it can be seen from Amtrak - and if it has twin silver-colored spires - it's always intrigued me. Is it beautiful inside?

8 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If this is the church I'm thinking of, it can be seen from Amtrak - and if it has twin silver-colored spires - it's always intrigued me. Is it beautiful inside?

Now with more thread drift: ?Did anybody say Amtrak? Big time railfan over here.

@onekidanddone - we are definitely fans of train travel, especially in Europe. Amtrak is a sad interpretation of "real" rail travel, but we truly enjoy the leisurely trip from our area into Chicago. :)

One day, we want to do the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Chicago, then the Empire Builder to the Northwest, then the Coast Starlight to LA, then the Sunset Limited to New Orleans where we'd board one of the riverboats and cruise up the Mississippi to get home. :)

Of course, we'd have to hit the lottery just to afford the river cruise. lol

2 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I was good until she said she wanted them to "choose to be sweet". Because keeping sweet was such an integral part of all their shows/books/etc that word raised my hackles just a bit. Kind and polite would've made me a little less edgy but that's me and I don't necessarily blame Jessa for using a term that's been drilled into her head her whole life.

I had the same reaction, but then ran through several different terms I’ve used a million times that mean the same thing - even without the heavy baggage from religious cults, I get the impression some parents use “be sweet” the way I would use “be nice” or “cooperate”

And clearly the kid isn’t afraid of her. 

That posing with saying Cheese was hilarious.

13 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@onekidanddone - we are definitely fans of train travel, especially in Europe. Amtrak is a sad interpretation of "real" rail travel, but we truly enjoy the leisurely trip from our area into Chicago. :)

One day, we want to do the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to Chicago, then the Empire Builder to the Northwest, then the Coast Starlight to LA, then the Sunset Limited to New Orleans where we'd board one of the riverboats and cruise up the Mississippi to get home. :)

Of course, we'd have to hit the lottery just to afford the river cruise. lol

A year and a half ago I did the Capital Limited to the Empire Builder to the Coast Starlight.  Sadly I ran out of time and money and flew home.  But if Rufus had blessed me with a lottery win I would have taken either the Zephyr or the Southwest Chief home.

10 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Not disagreeing but what makes you think of Jill in this post?

1 minute ago, Daisy0322 said:

what makes you think of Jill in this post?

Just comparing Jessa's social media skills to Jill's. And comparing Jessa's more skillful writing, her more relatable content, etc.

Plus:  I despise Jill and no, I don't feel sorry for her. lol

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, Jessa and Ben, if he's tweaking her writing, should learn the definition and better use of the word exacerbate. 

Exacerbate.  Transitive verb:  to make more violent, bitter, or severe.

Jessa, it would be better to say that you don't want to exacerbate unwanted or problem behavior by your child.   Unless you consider him to be violent, bitter, and severe.

Saying cheese was cute and playful.  It was hardly bad behavior unless you expect instant obedience.  I'm glad Jessa doesn't seem to expect that.

I was just going to say something like this, while I'm impressed with her usage of the word exacerbate, she didn't really use it correctly. It would have made much more sense if she said overwhelm. 

Yes, the saying cheese was cute and playful, but I get what she's referring to the "no I wanna say cheese" with the full on pout, not something you want to encourage your child, telling you NO when you ask them to do something.  This is a perfect pick your battles type moment, and she chose to just laugh and let Spurgeon be Spurgeon. 

20 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Spurgeon is so cute and I think that it is Jessa's writing. It may sound a bit like Ben because she spends so much time with him that she is picking up the way that he talks. I know that when I spend time with certain friends, I tend to pick up on the way that they talk and use slang, I may not normally. Or maybe Ben looked it over and made some tweaks; it's hard to say.

bits sounded like michelle and a lot sounded like Ben and she was thrown in. 

:D

11 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Just comparing Jessa's social media skills to Jill's. And comparing Jessa's more skillful writing, her more relatable content, etc.

Plus:  I despise Jill and no, I don't feel sorry for her. lol

yes we feel for jessa because she tries and wins and jill we just want to hurl poo at 

:D

at least that's me. 

11 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Not disagreeing but what makes you think of Jill in this post?

i think because jessa who is on the couch (clearly morning sickness) never inserts herself in the frame and posts fake smiles on her instagram afterthefact. 

On 11/15/2018 at 10:29 AM, Palimpsest said:

I assumed that she actually meant "exasperate".

Obviously, as parents, we must be careful of exacerbating our kids through excessive demands or expectations.

It seems like exasperate would fit better.

27 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I assumed that she actually meant "exasperate".

It seems like exasperate would fit better.

Either way, that's a big word for the SOTDRT

I like the idea of train travel, and took the train from Paris out to Versaille, which was great. I like parking out in a free lot and taking the light rail into the city. But longer distance travel in the US? No. Just... no. I did an overnight amtrak trip as a child (where the A/C was so cold no one could sleep and we all were dead exhausted by time we arrived), and a few years ago a trip to the state fair by Amtrak. The overnight one as a child was OK, I was a kid, it was cool riding a train. The trip to the state fair? OMG. It takes me just over 2.5 hours to drive there, and takes the train closer to 4 hours. I thought we were never going to get there, and was getting rail-rage. If I could have afforded a rental car I'd have got one to drive home, because i was DONE with it. And I could have stayed and actually enjoyed more than just a few hours of the fair. I really wish we had good FAST long distance train service, but we just don't, right now.

We travelled around Europe by train for three weeks this summer. It was awesome! We love train travel. Mr Way and tavelled by train from Hanoi in Vietnam to my hometown in Sweden just a few weeks after we met. We were young and adventurous back then. It’d be fun to do again though. Maybe when Miniway’s a bit bigger. 

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

took the train from Paris out to Versailles

We did this too, about a year ago at this time. I loved seeing everything along the tracks. :)

We've also taken the EuroStar from/to Paris/London a few times. I'm NOT a tunnel person, but it's kind of OK on the train - mainly because you can't see anything out of the windows. lol

Last fall, we took the train (first class!) from Edinburgh to London, and of course - we've ridden the Jacobite Steam Train across the Glenfinnan Viaduct. 

Many times when we're in London we'll take trains for "day trips" here and there (Canterbury, Wiltshire, Bath, Brighton, Cambridge, etc.). 

Jessa seems like she's kind of coaching him to be obstantly cute in that video. I think most of jessas keepin it real moments are still highly edited 

On 11/15/2018 at 7:05 PM, Mama Mia said:

I had the same reaction, but then ran through several different terms I’ve used a million times that mean the same thing - even without the heavy baggage from religious cults, I get the impression some parents use “be sweet” the way I would use “be nice” or “cooperate”

And clearly the kid isn’t afraid of her. 

That posing with saying Cheese was hilarious.

Until FJ I didn’t realize that “be sweet” could be bad. Everyone says it around here. It really does just mean being nice. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived