IGNORED

Seewalds 36: Waiting for the Next Cute Kid Video or Photo

Coconut Flan

Please excuse if this a stupid question but since English is not my first language, I thought I might get away with it ? :

Is it a regional thing to say „man and wife“ instead of „husband and wife“ or is it a fundy thing with some weird biblical message behind it?

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really really love the skirt portion of Jessa's wedding dress. It really looks beautiful. I am not sure that I would wear that bodice, but it looked really nice on her. I didn't think "OMG SO MODEST!!!!11!!!" when I first saw it or even now, compared to Anna's dress for example. It just looks very fancy, but keeps her style somehow. Ugh I swear I am not a leghumper even though I am really coming off as one here.

Jessa's wedding dress is the one to beat for fundie wedding dresses. It was modesty done right. So far none of the Duggar or Bates dresses come close.

20 minutes ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Please excuse if this a stupid question but since English is not my first language, I thought I might get away with it ? :

Is it a regional thing to say „man and wife“ instead of „husband and wife“ or is it a fundy thing with some weird biblical message behind it?

The traditional Church of England/ Anglican/generic Protestant wedding service says “I now pronounce you man and wife.” Many people now say “husband and wife,” but it’s not necessarily a fundie or regional thing if you say “man and wife” instead. 

9 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Jessa's wedding dress is the one to beat for fundie wedding dresses. It was modesty done right. So far none of the Duggar or Bates dresses come close.

I mostly agree that Jessa had the best dress, but I think Jinger and Lauren are close behind. 

When I sum up if a bridal gown worked or not, i think it comes down to -did the bride wear the gown or did the gown wear them? Jessa and Jinger OWNED it in those gowns, they moved and comported themselves like they had never felt more beautiful. Jill and Joy, the gowns wore them. They both looked uncomfortable and slightly itchy. (I am not saying they looked unattractive, just uncomfortable...I’m struggling to articulate this concept).

15 hours ago, miss_batson said:

Anniversary post from Jessa

Jessa’s message is short and sweet (if you’re the lord praising kind of girl), but man that is one awkward kiss. ?

11 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Jessa’s message is short and sweet (if you’re the lord praising kind of girl), but man that is one awkward kiss. ?

I won’t snark on that. It‘s a staged kiss for the photo, not a „real“ kiss. They tend to look arkward. We have one of those staged kissing wedding pictures as well. Ours is even worse because our noses are pressed against each other (heads are not leaned sideways). I call it our „goofy kiss“ and actually like it for being a funny picture (though not a good kiss) ?

Am I the only one who thinks Jessa doesn’t really have baby fever? Or at least to whatever degree we’ve speculated? I think she is the best shot at keeping the Duggar name out there. I’m sure she knows. I believe she also has the most amenable husband. All she has to do is keep pace with her sisters pregnancies or ahead. She will time, or try to time her pregnancies accordingly.

Depending on JimBob and TLC and how she’s been featured vs. the others.... She is the one they have to work with if they wanted an actual show. I bet she’d do it in a minute. 

But maybe she’s pregnant on Monday with the rest.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:38 PM, RosyDaisy said:

I agree. I just wish it had of been just a bit more fitted in the bodice. Dam fundies and their extreme modesty standards.  I have to say I didn’t find Kendra’s horrific. Not my taste but she is very young and it was age apppropriate and didn’t look to hacked over. I could see many young girls wearing Kendra’s or Jess’s wedding dress. 

Edit

laurens wasn’t bad. I forget it because all that back detail and you leave your hair down to cover it and to be a frizzy mess by the end of end of the day? 

I wish they stayed with the nude /sheer lining that someone shared it was meant to look like. Again with the stupid extreme modesty standards. 

Jingers was ok. Not what i wanted for her but hey she looked good and seemed to love it. 

I actually love Jessa's dress the most (close with Jinger's). I'd totally wear a similar style of dress if I would get married even if I'm not fundie. It is close to my personnal style the most. Feminine, with a long flowy skirt. I like that it has sleeves.

And the sparkly bodice... I find it so pretty! I am aware other people have qualified my personal fashion taste a bit juvenile. For exemple: I have sequin handbags, a sparkly skirt, always a pop of color in my outfits, my glasses are bright blue, I love pattern thights, etc. So yes. A sparkly wedding dress would be something I think even Mr. Music would love because it is close to my quirky personal style.

4 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I agree. I just wish it had of been just a bit more fitted in the bodice. Dam fundies and their extreme modesty standards.  I have to say I didn’t find Kendra’s horrific. Not my taste but she is very young and it was age apppropriate and didn’t look to hacked over. I could see many young girls wearing Kendra’s or Jess’s wedding dress. 

I vaguely remember Jessa mentioning that she lost weight before the wedding which I think may have been why the bodice was a bit loose. The dress fit her perfectly when she first tried it on. I wouldn't be shocked if she had it let out a bit on purpose though, for "modesty" standards. I agree that I liked hers the most.

Jessa's dress is my favourite Duggar dress. Whitney's vow renewal dress is the favourite of the Bates.

Josie balka's was cute, but the high neckline accentuated her bust more than is my preferance, but I'm also a chesty dd-ddd so I dont like to emphasize them at all.  I'm curious about carlin's. She likes to dress snazzy.

13 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I vaguely remember Jessa mentioning that she lost weight before the wedding which I think may have been why the bodice was a bit loose. The dress fit her perfectly when she first tried it on. I wouldn't be shocked if she had it let out a bit on purpose though, for "modesty" standards. I agree that I liked hers the most.

That would be my fear with any extremely fitted dress - especially one like Lauren’s ( which I loved - and prefer with the alterations she made ). It seems many brides lose some weight right before the wedding, while others may gain some. Getting a dress fitting perfectly a month or two later  when 5 lbs makes a notable difference - scary. That’s one thing I like about the styles Joy and - even somewhat Kendra and Jinger -had. A little more room for normal variation.

Jessa was the first Duggar/Bates bride to show how you could do a modest wedding dress without a bunch of awkward alterations. I still think her dress is one of the best ones, and it suited her style, personality and age very well. 

Awwww! I know their believes are awful and all that but how could you not melt away seeing those cute little boys dressed up for the wedding? I‘m dying from the cuteness overload here!

1 minute ago, justodd said:

I will always hate Jessa’s dress.

For the SR Ball, OK, but for a wedding, nah.

22 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

For the SR Ball, OK, but for a wedding, nah.

I wouldn’t even want it for that. All I see when I look at it is a poorly fitting, bedazzled t shirt over a floofy skirt. Fine for a small child playing dress up, but horribly unsophisticated and unflattering on anyone who can’t count their age on two hands. 

2 hours ago, justodd said:

I wouldn’t even want it for that. All I see when I look at it is a poorly fitting, bedazzled t shirt over a floofy skirt. Fine for a small child playing dress up, but horribly unsophisticated and unflattering on anyone who can’t count their age on two hands. 

People have different likes and dislikes, it was her wedding dress. As long as she was happy with it, that's all that matters.

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived